Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-22-17, 12:41 PM
Freshman

tccsaintsbasketball is on a distinguished road
Here is a scenario that we have been strategizing about lately.
End of the game situation and Team A is ahead by 3 points, Team B has the ball out of bounds. 5 seconds remain. Team A elects to foul as soon as Team B inbounds the ball. Shooter from Team B makes the first free throw. Team B wants to miss the second free throw in order to get a stick back and tie the game. Player from Team A steps in and gets a lane violation. Team B must re-shoot the second shot. Team A continues to violate. What is the end game? Does Team B shoot until they make it, since Team A continues to violate? This is a strategy for Team A because now Team B has no chance for an offensive rebound to tie the game or take the lead.

I have asked several officials and have received different responses. Some have said that by the letter of the rule, teams would be there until Team A no longer violates or until Team B makes a free throw. I had another official say he would give an unsportsmanlike warning, followed by a technical foul for unsportsmanlike behavior for intentionally violating. But is intentionally missing a free throw unsportsmanlike as well? Where is the line drawn? How do you handle this situation?
Old 05-23-17, 07:14 AM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tccsaintsbasketball View Post
Here is a scenario that we have been strategizing about lately.
End of the game situation and Team A is ahead by 3 points, Team B has the ball out of bounds. 5 seconds remain. Team A elects to foul as soon as Team B inbounds the ball. Shooter from Team B makes the first free throw. Team B wants to miss the second free throw in order to get a stick back and tie the game. Player from Team A steps in and gets a lane violation. Team B must re-shoot the second shot. Team A continues to violate. What is the end game? Does Team B shoot until they make it, since Team A continues to violate? This is a strategy for Team A because now Team B has no chance for an offensive rebound to tie the game or take the lead.

I have asked several officials and have received different responses. Some have said that by the letter of the rule, teams would be there until Team A no longer violates or until Team B makes a free throw. I had another official say he would give an unsportsmanlike warning, followed by a technical foul for unsportsmanlike behavior for intentionally violating. But is intentionally missing a free throw unsportsmanlike as well? Where is the line drawn? How do you handle this situation?
Committing repeated violations like these are clearly addressed in the NFHS Basketball Case Book as follows.... (bolded the part that applies here)

"Non-contact, away from the ball, illegal defensive violations (i.e. excessively swinging the elbows, leaving the floor for an unauthorized reason) specifically designed to stop the clock near the end of a period or take away a clear advantageous position by the offense should be temporarily ignored. The defensive team should not benefit from the tactic. If time is not a factor, the defense should be penalized with the violation or a technical foul for unsporting behavior. (10-1-8)"

In other words, because the defensive team is attempting to remove the offense's advantage by repeating the violation, and time is a factor, then the violation should be ignored.

If this happened when time wasn't a factor, then a technical foul should be assessed.

As far as a team intentionally missing FT's.... Missing a FT attempt is does not violate any rule, hence you have nothing but a missed shot.

Last edited by AllSports12; 05-24-17 at 06:26 AM.
Old 11-15-17, 08:06 AM
Freshman

DPaul is on a distinguished road
Saw a Fairless girls coach get on a ref the other night.

Scenario; A1 while on offense drives B1 4ft or so while posting up. Ref calls offensive foul and Fairless coach gets upset. Ref says she can't drive or displace the defender. Fairless coach yells "She is posting up, she isn't allowed to post up?" and laughs at ref. Ref says "not by moving the defender!"

Fairless coach was a lil upset by this.

What is the call? Ref made a statement like "size doesn't mean she gets to push through because of here size coach" or close as I was a lil bit away.

What is right call?
Old 11-15-17, 10:06 PM
All District

zebrastripes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPaul View Post
Saw a Fairless girls coach get on a ref the other night.

Scenario; A1 while on offense drives B1 4ft or so while posting up. Ref calls offensive foul and Fairless coach gets upset. Ref says she can't drive or displace the defender. Fairless coach yells "She is posting up, she isn't allowed to post up?" and laughs at ref. Ref says "not by moving the defender!"

Fairless coach was a lil upset by this.

What is the call? Ref made a statement like "size doesn't mean she gets to push through because of here size coach" or close as I was a lil bit away.

What is right call?
As with 75% of the decisions basketball officials make, this is a judgment call, and there's no way to know for certain how good/bad the call was absent any video.

That being said, a lot of people think that if the defender doesn't fall to the ground then there can't be a foul. The rule does not require that the defender be knocked down. If the official rules that the ball handler made contact that displaced an otherwise legal defender, that is a foul. The offensive player is responsible for contact with a legal defender until (s)he beats (gets head/shoulders past) the defender. All players are entitled to a spot on the floor provided they get there first without the help of illegal contact.
Old 11-17-17, 05:33 PM
All World

Boxing out is holding one's legally obtained position on the floor.

Displacing an opponent is always illegal.
Old 12-23-17, 09:09 PM
Varsity

Matt Goeller is on a distinguished road
how closely is the "no rolled waistband" be called? is it a p.o.i.?
Old 12-24-17, 12:32 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Goeller View Post
how closely is the "no rolled waistband" be called? is it a p.o.i.?
Itís a mandate from the OHSAA.

Players are supposed to wear their uniforms in the manner in which they are designed.

Unfortunately, many, many players ignore this mandate, as do their coaches and ADís.

Even more unfortunate is the fact that many, many Officials ignore this mandate as well.
Old 12-26-17, 04:41 PM
All World

serpico is on a distinguished road
How about sounds played over the PA during the game? I'm not talking about music or chants while the ball is being brought up the court, but maybe a cash register 'ka-ching' after a made free throw or a brief celebratory sound after a made three?

Are these prohibited by rule? One school in particular has done these for years with no repercussions until recently when an official stopped a game early on and told the PA desk to knock it off.
Old 12-26-17, 05:31 PM
All World

There is no "rule" addressing this, however there are guidelines and responsibilities established by the NFHS and each State Association. It was also a Point of Emphasis prior to the 2014-15 season.

If egregious in his/her actions, the announcer should be told to put an end to the comments or actions. If they persist, the officiating crew should file a game report with the league and the OHSAA following the game.

Any penalties or sanctions are to be administered by the administrators of the prior mentions. The teams should not be penalized on the floor.
Old 12-28-17, 10:43 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Itís a mandate from the OHSAA.

Players are supposed to wear their uniforms in the manner in which they are designed.

Unfortunately, many, many players ignore this mandate, as do their coaches and ADís.

Even more unfortunate is the fact that many, many Officials ignore this mandate as well.
There's a reason the Under Armour logo appears multiple times on the inside of the waistband.

It is a stupid mandate. Many of these kids roll the waistband because the shorts are too big (schools can't afford to order new uniforms every year). As long as there are no safety issues present (e.g. drawstring dangling) this really shouldn't be the officials' concern. But alas, the OHSAA has made it just that. (Just for the record, the NFHS has never come out and explicitly said that waistbands can't be rolled, but many states have taken it upon themselves to require officials not to allow it.)

That being said, I enforce the mandate, and the officials that don't make my job much more difficult.
Old 12-28-17, 09:23 PM
All Yappi

111411 is on a distinguished road
Here's a scenario for the officials on here and an inquiry into how you'd handle it.

After 30 years of keeping the official book at a public D4 school in NE Ohio, I decided to retire when my daughter graduated. After a short hiatus, the former coach, a one time D4 Coach of the Year returned and asked me to also return.

As in the past, I have always paid strict attention to the game, followed the ball, and met the officials' eyes when they signaled me. I have also kept my cell phone in my pocket. At half, whether home or away, I check fouls, timeouts, etc. with the other book.

During our fourth game, we were the away team. The home book was kept, as I found out later, by a former player and recent graduate of the home team. Everything matched at half, they had 10 team fouls and the player fouls matched. As we entered the fourth quarter, one of their players, according to my book, committed his fifth foul. The home book said nothing. I alerted our staff and the officials. We both had nine team fouls in the second half, but he only had four on his guy, and three on another of player. I had four on the other player. I had 19 player fouls in my book, he had 17, but had 19 total team fouls.

The officials met and decided that since he was the home book, and much to the angst of our staff, his book would be followed. After his player scored six more points, he fouled out, as did his other player. Additionally, I had four on one of our players and he had three. Also, this player committed another foul. He said, "You can have that one." I just shook my head.

After the opponent called a timeout, he told the officials that they were out. I told them that they had one more, The stripes said they'd go by my book.

This kid was frequently looking at his phone, cheering, and not paying attention. Our coaches were aware. When our coach mentioned to their AD that he should fire the scorekeeper, he said, "You can't fire a volunteer.

Your takes on the scenario?

Last edited by 111411; 12-28-17 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-29-17, 10:02 AM
All District

ratterbox is on a distinguished road
When you are part of the "crew" that oversees or helps out with any event you must act just like the paid officials. NO BIAS. I have worked football chain crew for over 30 years. I was told by my father when I started ( he ran the crew) that we were part of the officiating crew.
My opinion is the young man was just to "young/ immature" to hold that type of job. As far as being on his cell phone ... they should not be allowed at scorers bench. If you play them again have a book right next to him.
Old 12-29-17, 12:35 PM
All Yappi

111411 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratterbox View Post
When you are part of the "crew" that oversees or helps out with any event you must act just like the paid officials. NO BIAS. I have worked football chain crew for over 30 years. I was told by my father when I started ( he ran the crew) that we were part of the officiating crew.
My opinion is the young man was just to "young/ immature" to hold that type of job. As far as being on his cell phone ... they should not be allowed at scorers bench. If you play them again have a book right next to him.
I was seated right next to him, and wrongly figured he was getting everything down. We play them again, at home, and since I'll be the home book, there will be no issues.

Over the 30 years, all three of my sons played HS hoops. As tough as it was, I kept my mouth shut, and acted as part of the crew.
Old 12-29-17, 01:12 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111411 View Post
Here's a scenario for the officials on here and an inquiry into how you'd handle it.

After 30 years of keeping the official book at a public D4 school in NE Ohio, I decided to retire when my daughter graduated. After a short hiatus, the former coach, a one time D4 Coach of the Year returned and asked me to also return.

As in the past, I have always paid strict attention to the game, followed the ball, and met the officials' eyes when they signaled me. I have also kept my cell phone in my pocket. At half, whether home or away, I check fouls, timeouts, etc. with the other book.

During our fourth game, we were the away team. The home book was kept, as I found out later, by a former player and recent graduate of the home team. Everything matched at half, they had 10 team fouls and the player fouls matched. As we entered the fourth quarter, one of their players, according to my book, committed his fifth foul. The home book said nothing. I alerted our staff and the officials. We both had nine team fouls in the second half, but he only had four on his guy, and three on another of player. I had four on the other player. I had 19 player fouls in my book, he had 17, but had 19 total team fouls.

The officials met and decided that since he was the home book, and much to the angst of our staff, his book would be followed. After his player scored six more points, he fouled out, as did his other player. Additionally, I had four on one of our players and he had three. Also, this player committed another foul. He said, "You can have that one." I just shook my head.

After the opponent called a timeout, he told the officials that they were out. I told them that they had one more, The stripes said they'd go by my book.

This kid was frequently looking at his phone, cheering, and not paying attention. Our coaches were aware. When our coach mentioned to their AD that he should fire the scorekeeper, he said, "You can't fire a volunteer.

Your takes on the scenario?

First, thank you for providing an invaluable service to interscholastic sports. You are among the unsung heroes out there and I salute you.

As far as the situation, I'm not sure anything could be done about the situation at first. Unless there was another resource available (league statistician) to provide support to your book, the crew may have had no alternative..... (I'm wondering out loud of there was any way to alert the crew that a phone was being used in the manner you state)

Now, once we have a discrepancy repeat itself...... then it's time for the R to step in and designate another book as official. For the crew, a game report sent to the league and the OHSAA was in order here. (that will give the AD a "nudge" with regards to the "volunteer")

Sorry you had to experience this.... it doesn't happen often, but when it does, it can certainly have an impact on the game.
Old 12-29-17, 01:19 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrastripes View Post
Many of these kids roll the waistband because the shorts are too big (schools can't afford to order new uniforms every year).
This (shorts rolling) has only been happening for the last 3-4 years.... schools have had money issues long before this.

Kids are copycats, they see it on TV and viola..... they mimick.... (see Iverson shooting sleeve)

Quote:
As long as there are no safety issues present (e.g. drawstring dangling) this really shouldn't be the officials' concern. But alas, the OHSAA has made it just that. (Just for the record, the NFHS has never come out and explicitly said that waistbands can't be rolled, but many states have taken it upon themselves to require officials not to allow it.)
The OHSAA has made it our concern because the people truly responsible will not handle it up front. If uniforms aren't truly uniform, there's no telling what we'll see out there. It will become a "look at me" fest...... (and the reason for the uniform regs)

Quote:
That being said, I enforce the mandate, and the officials that don't make my job much more difficult.
As you should..... we need more men and women to handle this and the matter will go away. It's not hard to say "hey #24, you can wear your shorts like that all you want, but you'll be wearing them while sitting on the bench"....

It then gets corrected real fast.
Old 01-04-18, 03:34 PM
All Ohio

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
I have no comment for the present discussion, but what I would like to say is that I have gotten a wealth of information from this thread during the past year and I thank you for that.
Old 01-07-18, 08:16 PM
Freshman

CanofCorn is on a distinguished road
Here's my question. Not a HS game. 5th grade girls select. Team A wins the jump ball to start game. Possession arrow then goes to Team B. Couple of tie/jump balls. 1st Quarter ends with possession arrow favoring Team A. Start 2nd Quarter and refs say Team A inbounds the ball. Again, a few tie/jump balls and 2nd Quarter ends with arrow favoring Team A. Start 3rd Quarter and refs have Team A inbound the ball. Some more tie/jump balls end of the quarter. Start 4th Quarter and Team B inbounds. I politely ask the refs after game why the inbounds went that way. For home games I work the scoreboard and possession arrow at the scorers table. What the refs explained to me is completely different then what others refs have told me. These two said that the possession arrow at the end of each quarter determines who inbounds the ball, not an alternate possession. Mind you we play under OHSSA rules minus a few changes. Up to today, I have been told that whoever wins the opening jump, the opposite team will inbound in the 2nd & 4th Quarters and the other team inbounds the 3rd Quarter, regardless of the possession arrow. What is the correct ruling here for moving forward?
Old 01-07-18, 09:43 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanofCorn View Post
Here's my question. Not a HS game. 5th grade girls select. Team A wins the jump ball to start game. Possession arrow then goes to Team B. Couple of tie/jump balls. 1st Quarter ends with possession arrow favoring Team A. Start 2nd Quarter and refs say Team A inbounds the ball. Again, a few tie/jump balls and 2nd Quarter ends with arrow favoring Team A. Start 3rd Quarter and refs have Team A inbound the ball. Some more tie/jump balls end of the quarter. Start 4th Quarter and Team B inbounds. I politely ask the refs after game why the inbounds went that way. For home games I work the scoreboard and possession arrow at the scorers table. What the refs explained to me is completely different then what others refs have told me. These two said that the possession arrow at the end of each quarter determines who inbounds the ball, not an alternate possession. Mind you we play under OHSSA rules minus a few changes. Up to today, I have been told that whoever wins the opening jump, the opposite team will inbound in the 2nd & 4th Quarters and the other team inbounds the 3rd Quarter, regardless of the possession arrow. What is the correct ruling here for moving forward?
The alternating possession arrow is awarded to the opponent of the team who controlled the jump ball to start the game ( or any overtime period)

From that point on, the arrow is used for any alternating possession throw-in. Those throw-ins include held balls and throw-ins to begin the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th periods, along with any other situation that results (by rule) in putting the ball back in play via an alternating possession throw-in
Old 01-24-18, 09:42 PM
All World

COLTCOUNTRY is on a distinguished road
Do game refs have the authority to remove a player because he or she suspects a concussion? The player's trainer said no concussion, even the other team's trainer was arguing not to pull the girl. The refs ended up ejecting the other team's trainer!!

Also, I thought a trainer was part of the "bench" so when he was ejected, his team should have been charged with a technical. Didn't happen.

Edit: BTW, the girl who was pulled for the "concussion" is hands down the best player on the team, actually the best player on the floor tonight.

Last edited by AllSports12; 01-25-18 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-25-18, 07:36 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLTCOUNTRY View Post
Do game refs have the authority to remove a player because he or she suspects a concussion? The player's trainer said no concussion, even the other team's trainer was arguing not to pull the girl. The refs ended up ejecting the other team's trainer!!

Also, I thought a trainer was part of the "bench" so when he was ejected, his team should have been charged with a technical. Didn't happen.

Edit: BTW, the girl who was pulled for the "concussion" is hands down the best player on the team, actually the best player on the floor tonight.
Here is the OHSAA regulation (in effect since 2011) and the Ohio Law (enacted in 2013) regarding concussions and head injuries......

"Any student, while practicing for or competing in an interscholastic contest, who exhibits signs, symptoms or behaviors consistent with having sustained a concussion or head injury (such as loss of consciousness, headache, dizziness, confusion or balance problems) shall be immediately removed from the practice or contest by either of the following:

1) The individual who is serving as the student’s coach during that practice or competition.
2) An individual who is serving as a contest official or referee during that practice or competition.
"

So, as you can see, if the official identified those signs, symptoms, or behaviors, he was not only within his jurisdiction to have the player removed, he was required by law to have the player removed. Any argument by the trainer about the validity of the removal should have been conducted with the OHSAA and the school the following day, and not on the floor. As far as a technical foul being assessed for the ejection, I can see an argument for the assessment and also see one for it not being assessed.

You mentioned that the player involved was in your opinion, the best on the floor that night. The fact that the player involved here may have been the best on the floor that night is one of the reasons why the regulation and now the law is in force. Player safety trumps player ability.

Last edited by AllSports12; 01-25-18 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-26-18, 09:14 AM
All World

COLTCOUNTRY is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Here is the OHSAA regulation (in effect since 2011) and the Ohio Law (enacted in 2013) regarding concussions and head injuries......

"Any student, while practicing for or competing in an interscholastic contest, who exhibits signs, symptoms or behaviors consistent with having sustained a concussion or head injury (such as loss of consciousness, headache, dizziness, confusion or balance problems) shall be immediately removed from the practice or contest by either of the following:

1) The individual who is serving as the studentís coach during that practice or competition.
2) An individual who is serving as a contest official or referee during that practice or competition.
"

So, as you can see, if the official identified those signs, symptoms, or behaviors, he was not only within his jurisdiction to have the player removed, he was required by law to have the player removed. Any argument by the trainer about the validity of the removal should have been conducted with the OHSAA and the school the following day, and not on the floor. As far as a technical foul being assessed for the ejection, I can see an argument for the assessment and also see one for it not being assessed.

You mentioned that the player involved was in your opinion, the best on the floor that night. The fact that the player involved here may have been the best on the floor that night is one of the reasons why the regulation and now the law is in force. Player safety trumps player ability.
It was a total BS removal. The ref asked her what the date was. The player responded, very matter of fact, "I don't know". Not in a confused way but just straight up, I don't know.

Here's a link to the article on the game. Based on the quotes after the game, it's pretty clear the girl was not suffering from a concussion.

http://www.medina-gazette.com/High-S...-Panthers.html
Old 01-26-18, 09:44 AM
All World

Quote:
It was a total BS removal. The ref asked her what the date was. The player responded, very matter of fact, "I don't know". Not in a confused way but just straight up, I don't know.

Here's a link to the article on the game. Based on the quotes after the game, it's pretty clear the girl was not suffering from a concussion.

You asked me the following question......

Quote:
Do game refs have the authority to remove a player because he or she suspects a concussion?
I gave you the answer. Whether or not you thought the removal was BS is irrelevant. Neither you nor I know what the official saw that prompted his concern. State Law, requires him to remove the player if he observes the signs, symptoms, or behaviors.......

As far as the quotes after the game........ I have a good friend whose son suffered a head injury during a contest a number of years ago. He "shook off" the injury and returned to play shortly afterwards.......

36 hours later he was dead......

His team won the game......

Which is more important?

Last edited by AllSports12; 01-26-18 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-26-18, 10:11 AM
Varsity

toledomansfield is on a distinguished road
this is important for both fans and coaches to understand. it does not matter if the kid actually has a concussion. If they exhibit the signs of concussion they MUST be removed. if a kid has a head on head collision and then says his head hurts. He must be removed. What part of this has you so troubled. The outcome of the game is MEANINGLESS.
Old 01-26-18, 10:18 AM
All Yappi

JElder is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Did you even read the article? She later said that the official asked her what day it was not what date is it? After not knowing the answer they removed her. She was also carried off the floor a few minutes earlier due to an ankle injury but miraculously came back 27 seconds later. It sounds like she plays with a lot of drama. Not to mention her team committed 37 turnover and lost in double OT.
Old 01-26-18, 04:49 PM
All World

Turnovers, fouls, points, player ability, etc.... are all irrelevant to the question.

If an official in Ohio (no matter the sport or the level being played..... including youth sports) observes the signs, symptoms, or behaviors that are associated with a concussion or head injury........

They are required by Ohio Law and OHSAA Regulations to remove that player. At that point it is upon the administration of the school or team (youth sports) to take the necessary steps to allow that player to return to participation. That participation cannot occur on the same day the player was removed no matter who examines the player.
Old 01-30-18, 10:28 AM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This (shorts rolling) has only been happening for the last 3-4 years.... schools have had money issues long before this.

Kids are copycats, they see it on TV and viola..... they mimick.... (see Iverson shooting sleeve)

The OHSAA has made it our concern because the people truly responsible will not handle it up front. If uniforms aren't truly uniform, there's no telling what we'll see out there. It will become a "look at me" fest...... (and the reason for the uniform regs)

As you should..... we need more men and women to handle this and the matter will go away. It's not hard to say "hey #24, you can wear your shorts like that all you want, but you'll be wearing them while sitting on the bench"....

It then gets corrected real fast.
My son's 7th grade team has kids on the smaller side, go figure, and he's one of them. The smallest size shorts the team has is adult small, which is too large for him and some other kids, so they roll them up. The other day he was forced to not roll them and he told me after the game it impacted how he played because his knees would sometimes get caught in the shorts.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-18, 11:09 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
My son's 7th grade team has kids on the smaller side, go figure, and he's one of them. The smallest size shorts the team has is adult small, which is too large for him and some other kids, so they roll them up. The other day he was forced to not roll them and he told me after the game it impacted how he played because his knees would sometimes get caught in the shorts.
As an official, if it were my way, I would not touch this issue with a 39.5-foot pole. But, the OHSAA has required me to. In my college games we don't mess with this.

Fashion police rules are dumb, but this is one of the dumbest.
Old 01-30-18, 04:37 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
There are ways to remedy this without rolling the shorts.

This is on your school and not the NFHS, the OHSAA, or the officials.
Old 02-01-18, 09:11 AM
Freshman

JU-ICE is on a distinguished road
We had a player wearing a long sleeve undershirt in the same color as our jersey. Ref told him that he had to take it off because he was the only player on our team with a long sleeves. He has worn this all year and has never been told to remove it. Is the ref right or wrong?
Old 02-01-18, 11:01 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU-ICE View Post
We had a player wearing a long sleeve undershirt in the same color as our jersey. Ref told him that he had to take it off because he was the only player on our team with a long sleeves. He has worn this all year and has never been told to remove it. Is the ref right or wrong?
There is no prohibition against only one team member wearing a long sleeved shirt.

If a player wears an undershirt, the shirt must be a single solid color that is similar to the color of the torso of the jersey. If the undershirt has sleeves, they must be the same length. (and properly hemmed)