Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-04-17, 11:00 AM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Pickerington North 41 Huber Heights Wayne 20

When a team plays another that is just as good or better than them they need 3 things in order to get the win.

1) Make plays: Wayne was not able to do this as they dropped passes, over throws of wide open receivers, numerous miss tackles.....

2) Take care of the ball/Special teams: Wayne turned it over 5 times. Your not going to beat anyone in the playoffs doing this especially when 1 of them gets returned for a TD. Wayne continued to struggle fielding punts and giving up field position. Can anyone remember the last time Wayne fielded a punt???

3) Play with an edge: Wayne did not look like they wanted to be out there. They looked confused and unfocused.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Domination: That is the only way to describe the first half of this game. North dominated this half putting up almost 400 yards of offense and just about all of it was from Weirick either through the air or with his feet. Wayne was held to 51 yards in the first half and yet Wayne was still in this game.

North scored on their first drive which was a frustrating one for the Wayne fans to watch. Weirick would constantly escape pressure and outrun the Wayne defenders to the first down marker moving the chains. Even more frustrating was the 39 yard TD pass Weirick threw to Wiley which looked like it was going to be picked off but went right through the hands of the defender. PAT was no good 6-0 North. Wayne could not do a thing with the ball as McKee's first pass was dropped. North's 2nd drive also led to a TD as for some reason Wayne did not cover North's top receiver in Wiley as he was wide open and took it inside the 5. A few plays later Weirick ran it in to make it 13-0. How great Weirick was he did make stupid decisions at times and on North's 3rd drive while being rushed he just chucked the ball that was picked off by Harris and returned 63 yards for a TD.... if this ball was not picked it would of likely been intentional grounding. This got Wayne back in the game down just 13-7.

What momentum Wayne had disappeared as North made a great play when Weirick hit Wiley on a long pass that Wiley dove full extension to bring in. Weirick would find Wiley again from 9 yards out. This was another play that looked like it was going to be picked but managed to go through the defenders hands.....

Wayne finally got something going on their next drive, well, sort of. Similar to Springfield if a North defender got beat they just grabbed, tackled, or did what ever to keep the receiver from the ball. This led to 3 pass interference penalties that moved the chains. McKee would find Victoria open for a 23 yard TD pass but a penalty on the PAT moved the ball back and it was missed making it 20-13 North. North would answer that score right before half on a Weirick run from 13 yards out..... 27-13 at the half.

As poorly as Wayne played they were still in it and looked to be a different team coming out of half. McKee broke free for a long run and then found Mullins from 5 yards out as Wayne scored in a minute and 22 seconds to make it 27-20. Adjustments on defense stopped North cold and Wayne was driving inside North's territory. A pass inside the 10 was dropped and a fumble killed that drive. North was stopped again and Wayne had another chance. A long pass to a open receiver was over thrown and that drive was wasted... Wayne found them selves pinned deep after not being able to field a punt, a penalty moved them back, a bad snap even further and then a pick 6 killed it as North took a 34-20 lead.

North would score late in the 3rd on a Martin run to make it 41-20 but more importantly to North Weirick took a hit on the drive and was not the same after that. Hopefully he will be fine for next week but he did not look to good out there after that play.

I think Wayne only ran 4 plays in the 4th at least it felt like that as North did nothing but hand the ball off. Wayne stuffed the RB Martin in the first half but for some reason when they knew he was getting the ball they could not stop him. He ended up with 100 yards on the night as North won 41-20.

I am totally lost as to why Wayne did not hand the ball off to Kinnel in this game. Kinnel had a 7 yard run on a carry and then got stuffed on another and that was it..... He averages 6.3 yards per carry.... if he got hurt, I get it but if not.... I don't. Why can't Wayne throw the ball in cold weather. 8-46 for 54 yards passing in Wayne's last 2 games... it is not all on the QB. WR were dropping passes.....

Something happened to this Wayne team after week 5 going into the Centerville game. They were never the same team and got worse throughout the season with the exception of the Beavercreek game,,,,

Wayne returns a lot for next season so hopefully the kids get serious about this and work their butts off during the off season. While many knew Wayne would be down this year and picked 4-6 to 8-2 as a possible record in some ways Wayne did alright but it was not the wins and losses that was a concern to me it was that this years team did not look or act like a typical Wayne team. Where was the Wayne toughness that we are used to seeing.....

Best of luck to North the rest of the way. I felt that North was/is the most dangerous team in this region and felt that they should of beaten Central a few weeks ago. I will be rooting on North the rest of the way especially Chris Scott who transferred from Wayne to North this season.....
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-17, 12:08 PM
All Region

Picktowncentral is on a distinguished road
http://www.thisweeknews.com/sports/2...ights-wayne-20
Old 11-04-17, 12:10 PM
All Yappi

Elks48 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
Something happened to this Wayne team after week 5 going into the Centerville game. They were never the same team and got worse throughout the season with the exception of the Beavercreek game,,,,
Maybe they just lost to teams that were better than them...it happens.
Old 11-04-17, 12:38 PM
Proud Dad of a US Marine

Warrior78 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks48 View Post
Probably true my friend but I think what Vamps was saying is the Warriors played uninspired football after the Centerville game...as if they were just going through the motions to get the season over. Something was off this year. I only saw one player get fired up (#62) all year after a bad series. There was a lot of laughing and joking on the sidelines this year while the teams were on the field which to me is a lack of leadership by the seniors and the coaches.
Old 11-04-17, 04:15 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks48 View Post
2 of the 3 teams they played down the stretch were better than them....
Old 11-04-17, 04:16 PM
All American

Hawk1959 is on a distinguished road
YEs, they did get beat by good teams and to be honest, they played A LOT of GOOD Teams... thats how they got to be 4th seed with a 7-3 record.

But as has been said here, some spark seemed missing. The focus did not seem to be there. The play calling had big issues (I do not remember ANY year where we had this many formations with out a Running Back in the backfield) and while there were outstanding Qtrs by both the Def. and Off. Everything seemed out of Sync this year.

I Love Wayne, I have great respect for Coach Minton. And I hope in the off season some answers are found.

Good luck to all still in the hunt. Play Honest and Safe....

Hawk
Old 11-04-17, 04:43 PM
Proud Dad of a US Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk1959 View Post
YEs, they did get beat by good teams and to be honest, they played A LOT of GOOD Teams... thats how they got to be 4th seed with a 7-3 record.

But as has been said here, some spark seemed missing. The focus did not seem to be there. The play calling had big issues (I do not remember ANY year where we had this many formations with out a Running Back in the backfield) and while there were outstanding Qtrs by both the Def. and Off. Everything seemed out of Sync this year.

I Love Wayne, I have great respect for Coach Minton. And I hope in the off season some answers are found.

Good luck to all still in the hunt. Play Honest and Safe....

Hawk
Well said Hawk. I have great respect for Coach Minton as well. I hope they figure it out. It can't always be just the personnel.
Old 11-04-17, 08:27 PM
All District

Warrior2457 is on a distinguished road
I think it is time for Blevins to go, or to make some big changes to the offense. Minton has not been afraid to shake up offensive coordinators in the past, although he normally is pretty loyal to his coaching staff. He has been running the same tired spread for seven seasons now, without adding any new wrinkles or creativity to help them move the ball in bad weather, and he has always become ultra-conservative and predictable with his playcalling against good defenses. I have to think Minton would have a lot of very good options for the offensive coordinator position if he opened it up.
Old 11-04-17, 10:05 PM
All District

FairmontAlum is on a distinguished road
Why does no one ever point the finger at Minton? Lots of talent this year but pretty much underperformed each game. How does a player call out the coaching staff on Twitter and still plays and remains a captain??!! I don't think the OC is the problem
Old 11-05-17, 12:32 AM
All World

UcantCatchMe is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontAlum View Post
Why does no one ever point the finger at Minton? Lots of talent this year but pretty much underperformed each game. How does a player call out the coaching staff on Twitter and still plays and remains a captain??!! I don't think the OC is the problem
Lol. Quit.
Old 11-05-17, 07:37 PM
All Region

sballvballcheer is on a distinguished road
I pick Pickerington North to win region 3. They are a really solid team.

Wayne had a long season that's for sure. It was painful to watch. I can't remember the last time fans found games painful to watch. The players seemed uninspired to keep trying when they made a mistake and they certainly made a lot of mistakes. Yes, playing good teams causes you to make mistakes, but Wayne didn't seem to make any effort to overcome those mistakes and continued to make more mistakes and lose games.

The lack of a running back or the consistent use of a running back really hurt them; not sure what happened to all the running backs that started the season, but the team was dangerously unbalanced.

Coaching? hmmmm, well, the coaches do not play the game, but offensive play calling has been questionable for some time, I will leave it at that.

Good Luck to Pickerington North the rest of the way. Great team
Old 11-06-17, 09:19 AM
All Ohio

mexhot2 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to mexhot2 Send a message via Yahoo to mexhot2
Maybe they didn't run the ball because the coaches knew the OLine wasn't going to get that push. From very early this season I mentioned my concerns about the play of the Oline and Dline. When Wayne has been dominant they have had good lines.

That's true of all teams. You win on the line folks. No matter how good your "skill" position players are, if you don't have that line making that pocket on passing plays and making that push on running plays, the offense will struggle. If you don't have that line holding fast on running plays and putting heat on on passing plays, the defense will struggle.

Sometimes, you just don't have the personnel. It's not that these are bad kids. It's just that sometimes you don't have that level of talent needed to go to a higher level.

Truthfully, I was glad Wayne did better than I had expected after week 1. So, for me, it was a successful year that they got as much as they did out of these kids.

GO WAYNE!!! Work on getting better next year.

Congrats to Pick North. Solid team. One question, it appeared that excellent QB got hurt. Is he ok? I didn't understand why he wasn't pulled. Hope he is well for your next game.
Old 11-06-17, 09:41 AM
GO ELKS!

ELKSONE is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
When a team plays another that is just as good or better than them they need 3 things in order to get the win.

1) Make plays: Wayne was not able to do this as they dropped passes, over throws of wide open receivers, numerous miss tackles.....

2) Take care of the ball/Special teams: Wayne turned it over 5 times. Your not going to beat anyone in the playoffs doing this especially when 1 of them gets returned for a TD. Wayne continued to struggle fielding punts and giving up field position. Can anyone remember the last time Wayne fielded a punt???

3) Play with an edge: Wayne did not look like they wanted to be out there. They looked confused and unfocused.
Sounds like you just described the Ohio State game against Iowa.
Old 11-06-17, 12:04 PM
All Region

WAYNE WARRIORS #1 is on a distinguished road
The amount of touches Blue & the Running back got was a JOKE OC SUCKS HE's GOTTA GO JAY !
Old 11-06-17, 01:35 PM
All District

Saltlife is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAYNE WARRIORS #1 View Post
The amount of touches Blue & the Running back got was a JOKE OC SUCKS HE's GOTTA GO JAY !
Blue got no touches cause he got locked down by redd potts. watch the film. Redd is committed to Ball state and that performance may just get him a late look or two from power 5
Old 11-06-17, 02:33 PM
Proud Dad of a US Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltlife View Post
Blue got no touches cause he got locked down by redd potts. watch the film. Redd is committed to Ball state and that performance may just get him a late look or two from power 5
Seriously? How many flags did Redd get for holding or interference? #6 right?
Old 11-06-17, 03:09 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior78 View Post
Seriously? How many flags did Redd get for holding or interference? #6 right?
1 on 1 all night....1 catch. watch the replay pretty impressive
Old 11-06-17, 03:41 PM
Proud Dad of a US Marine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltlife View Post
1 on 1 all night....1 catch. watch the replay pretty impressive

We’re talking about #6, correct? I want to make sure I have the right number.
Old 11-06-17, 07:39 PM
All Region

wayne60 is on a distinguished road
Just wondering if Pick North came out after the national anthem and went to the end zone and took a knee, if that was a protest ? And I thought OHSAA started a new rule a couple of years ago that both teams had to be on the field and on the side lines for the anthem.
Old 11-06-17, 08:56 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne60 View Post
Just wondering if Pick North came out after the national anthem and went to the end zone and took a knee, if that was a protest ? And I thought OHSAA started a new rule a couple of years ago that both teams had to be on the field and on the side lines for the anthem.
tradition all year they do individual prayer, no protest