Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-14-19, 08:23 AM
GO ELKS!

ELKSONE is an unknown quantity at this point
Is instant replay coming to high school football?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cin...amp/2857622002

I think it's a terrible idea, most high school refs aren't very good to begin with, and people will be expecting to review too many plays which will extend what can already be considered a long game.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-19, 08:45 AM
All American

blahblah4everything is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELKSONE View Post
I think it's a terrible idea,
Yep...terrible idea...something else for idiotic parents to yell about with "pass interference....automatic 1st down ref!!!!!"
Old 03-14-19, 09:40 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I think it's a terrible idea, most high school refs aren't very good to begin with, and people will be expecting to review too many plays which will extend what can already be considered a long game.
Interesting take. HS refs are bad, so you are against it?

At least it is only being considered for playoffs as a trial then see how it goes. I'd be ok with that.
Old 03-14-19, 10:52 AM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:

just a feeling..won't happen
Old 03-14-19, 11:05 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
Ridiculous.
Old 03-14-19, 11:41 AM
All Yappi

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
I could see it being used in the state championships very soon. Entire playoffs? We are probably a ways off from that.
Old 03-14-19, 12:04 PM
Junior Varsity

BearcatBengal is on a distinguished road
My issue with this isn't whether or not high school refs are good but that highschools don't have the camera quality or number angles to make this viable or worthwhile in any way unless you are going to do things like state championships only when there is legit tv coverage

Last edited by BearcatBengal; 03-14-19 at 12:04 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-14-19, 02:05 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
A National Federation rule was recently changed to allow individual states to experiment with this during post-season games only. The OHSAA is "looking at this" for the playoffs and will make a decision "this spring."

This is little more than a guess, but if the OHSAA decides to try it, it will be during the finals only, and it is more likely that they they don't do it at all. Just my slightly educated opinion.
Old 03-14-19, 02:08 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatBengal View Post
worthwhile in any way unless you are going to do things like state championships only when there is legit tv coverage
An NFL game has 12-20 cameras. How many are at the state finals, 2 or 3?
Old 03-14-19, 02:19 PM
All Ohio

Ballboy000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah4everything View Post
Yep...terrible idea...something else for idiotic parents to yell about with "pass interference....automatic 1st down ref!!!!!"
Technically speaking, most teams already have it with HUDL Sideline where the coaches and players can review the previous play or plays right on the sideline on an IPad. They get a wide angle view from the press box area and an end zone view from the end zone camera transmitted immediately to the sideline IPads. The Ref's tend to not like it though when a Coach tells them they made a bad call and he has the replay right there in his hand if they want to see it.
Old 03-14-19, 02:27 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Minnesota did this two years ago for their state semifinals and finals at US Bank Stadium. Texas started doing it last year for their finals at AT&T Stadium.

I'm not a fan because I don't like different games having different rules. If a bad call hurts you in the Semifinal, you're out. But if it happens in the final, it doesn't. That seems to be an issue. Every team has had a call go their way that probably shouldn't and vice versa. But now "when" it happen becomes problematic.

As for replay, I was at the semifinals in Minnesota two years ago and also the Texas finals this past year. Minnesota didn't work well because not many cameras and I can't remember a single call being overturned. Texas is a much bigger deal with a full college level television coverage and a lot more calls reversed. What was most annoying was how many diving catches that were called completions that were overturned because super slow mo high Def video could show the ball wobbled when the player hit the ground. Nowhere else would those catches have been called incomplete. Every regular season and post season game even opposing fans would've called them a great diving catch. But replay took basically every diving catch from the weekend away. Not right.

Also, added time to the game wasn't a huge deal. But it was noticeable. And made the end of the 6A D1 game anticlimactic. Hail mary to the endzone called a TD but everyone had to stand around and worry while the ref checked the video.
Old 03-14-19, 03:30 PM
All American

my2sense is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
HS refs are bad, so you are against it?
HS officiating has been on a downward trend for years. Anything that would help these refs is a plus.

Besides, every other technological advancement (better equipment, training methods, etc) trickles from the pros to college to HS. Why not this one?
Old 03-14-19, 04:29 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by my2sense View Post
HS officiating has been on a downward trend for years.
Some parts of it are better, but ...

There is a lot more passing than there was 20 years ago, and there are still only 5 officials, at least in most Ohio games.

Officials are getting older (and consequently slower) and there are just not many young people joining. We are approaching a crisis.
Old 03-15-19, 02:53 AM
All District

Red Right 88 is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I think a whole bunch of cameras need to come to HS football before reviews and challenges do. Right now, all that could be used are mom & dad's cell phones from the stands which would be considered foolhardy.
Old 03-15-19, 07:55 PM
All Ohio

Ballboy000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
Some parts of it are better, but ...

There is a lot more passing than there was 20 years ago, and there are still only 5 officials, at least in most Ohio games.

Officials are getting older (and consequently slower) and there are just not many young people joining. We are approaching a crisis.
Yep - Sad. We've had our share of old, fat, slow refs that throw flags from the opposite side of the field 40 yards from the play or deemed infraction.
Old 03-18-19, 10:52 AM
All American

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by afwpatfire View Post
I could see it being used in the state championships very soon. Entire playoffs? We are probably a ways off from that.
While I am against it overall, I can certainly see where the temptation comes from.

I was at the D1 Championship game this year and, on their opening drive, Colerain had the ball I think 1st and Goal inside of the St. Edward 5 yard line or something to that effect. A fumble was ruled on a play that sure looked like the runner was down from where I sat for Colerain and definitely changed the momentum/complexion of the game. Had Colerain scored a touchdown there it could have led to a different script. I've never gone back to watch the game to see for sure and the refs very well made the right call and I am not on here to rehash/argue.

My point is, when it comes down to it, the calls the refs make are as much a part of the game as the play the coaches call, the ability a QB has to throw a TD or an interception, a fumble or a missed tackle-all things that result from what a human being does or doesn't do in the heat of competition. If you are going to sign up to play the game, you assume the risk that your fate is in the hands of other objective humans calling a game fairly and by the rules.