Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-26-19, 01:08 PM
All American

The Dock is an unknown quantity at this point
Is the Mid-State League (MSL) at a breaking point?

As many have figured out by now, and has others taken noticed to on Yappi, a dark cloud is hanging over the MSL. One reputed as 'the' "small-school league" of Central Ohio, the MSL is, and has been, experiencing expansions and detractions as well as additions and subtractions alike - not just in the past twenty years but more particularly the previous five-to-six. However, at current is a rodeo that could threaten to not just transform the MSL for the eighth or so time, but indeed one that could potentially disintegrate the MSL.

Where to begin?
The MSL is, at current, a 21-school tri-divisional conference that spans four counties, six enrollment classifications (in football terms) and a longitude of public/private identities (urban public, suburban public, rural public, rural poor/wealthy and metro private, rural private etc) - as such, the league is broken into a tripartite set-up best characterized as "big/medium (rural public)", "big/medium (mix of urban and rural public/private)", and "small (mix of urban and rural public/private) ." With the addition of Buckeye Valley and the Columbus School for Girls, the MSL footprint extends into six counties as well as single-sex school membership.

What do we know to be true, at current, about the MSL?

The Mid-State League has several issues: a) lack of homogeneity in the 'tweener' division (the 'Ohio' Division); b) an issue of "big versus small" in the aforementioned "rural big/rural small private" division (the 'Buckeye' Division); c) issues of geography, competitive balance, potential school defection and even school/athletic department survival in the case of the "small" division (the 'Cardinal' Division.) Also at hand exists the hard spot that is 'cross-divisional/non-conference' sports affiliations between both current MSL-members and non-MSL members for individual sports purposes. Let's take a look, division by division/issue-by-issue, at what the MSL is up against.

The Ohio Division (big/medium urban and rural private): this division of the MSL has experienced the most transition since the "great MSL realignment" of 2013: the Madison County contingency of London, Madison-Plains and West Jefferson have since defected for both the Central Buckeye Conference and Ohio Heritage Conference - both non-Central District based conferences, respectively. Whitehall-Yearling, the biggest school in the conference, has shot up to D2 classification between both a combination of high enrollment numbers and competitive balance adjustments. Meanwhile, (sub-)urban enclave district Grandview Heights is forever transfixed as a Division VI school facing the prospect of playing Whitehall, new addition D3 Buckeye Valley, along with potential Columbus private gridiron resurgent Bishop Ready (not a full-fledged MSL member) and new-to-football addition Harvest Prep "oh, hi!"). That freight of a schedule is further pronounced by the success of Columbus Academy's football program, no matter how negated that may be by the shortcomings of notably larger school Bexley. All-sports member Worthington Christian competes in football in the 'Cardinal' Division', which is the next division mentioned. Further complicating a competitive, identical, and even size-fitting divide is the prospect of geographic/commute horror in Buckeye Valley (has one ever tried to get from central Columbus to Delaware on a weekday afternoon at 3:30pm and had to be there by 5:00?)

The Cardinal Division, (small private/public; small urban metro, urban wealthy, rural poor): this division of the MSL is most likely to see an immediate change, if it hasn't already. Supposedly, beginning next year, recent addition (joined in 2017-2018) the Wellington School is migrating over to the Ohio Division for all sports. Other recent addition Bishop Rosecrans (Zanesville) is heavily rumored to be looking toward the East District in the formation of a new league that pits toward their geography better. Which, leaves six schools: Grove City Christian, Harvest Prep, Fisher Catholic, Berne Union, Fairfield Christian, and Millersport. The latter two have horrible football programs barely hanging on by a thread (Millersport will not field football for the second year in a row), with Millersport's future as a district in question. GCC and HP are supposedly looking to defect and create their own 'metro private' start-up league, and long-standing competitive balance concerns are finally becoming more blatant as Fisher Catholic and Berne Union create the most damage bar-none across all boys sports, with those two and FCA doing the most work in girls sports.

The Buckeye Division (rural 'big/medium') - this part of the MSL probably has the most synergy amongst all participating schools, and the most amount of positives coupled with the fewest negatives: great geography, great gates and generally good competitive balance... except in football. The most pronounced of the size differences in the MSL could possibly be in the case of the MSL-Buckeye. Teays Valley is a D2 school in football and D1 in other sports. Their competition is predominately against mostly D4/sometimes D5 schools. It is only a matter of time until TV goes on to be a potential OCC expansion.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-19, 01:31 PM
All District

RollingTrain is on a distinguished road
The Buckeye Valley addition was about the dumbest thing I've seen, on both sides. I don't get it. The commute/geographic fit, the size difference...none of it makes any sense.

Their league home games this year for football are Harvest Prep, Academy, Bexley and Liberty Union....Those four teams will be lucky to bring a combined 400 people.

Imagine what the rest of the crowds will be outside of football....The closest school to BV is Academy and that's 30 miles away...and who knows with traffic. Liberty Union is 60 miles away going through the 270/70 gauntlet. Then fighting the Bexley, Grandview, Whitehall traffic.....no thanks.

The MOAC may have ventured farther north, but I'd take like-schools and non Columbus traffic over what they've gotten themselves into any day. There's just no way this lasts.
Old 02-26-19, 01:36 PM
All Region

ReadyKnightsFan is on a distinguished road
The Ohio division makes just about no sense to me.
Old 02-26-19, 02:16 PM
Freshman

fussandfeathers is on a distinguished road
It's a shame that Grandview wasn't permitted to move down to the Cardinal Division. They lobbied but were denied. Their football numbers are about to take a big drop and have no business playing the likes of Whitehall. Otherwise, Whitehall should be in the Buckeye division and compete with the likes of TV. With more and more games being at 7PM you will definitely see lower attendance numbers. I tried getting out to a few games around central Ohio this year and then heard traffic reports. No thanks.
Old 02-26-19, 02:56 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fussandfeathers View Post
It's a shame that Grandview wasn't permitted to move down to the Cardinal Division. They lobbied but were denied. Their football numbers are about to take a big drop and have no business playing the likes of Whitehall. Otherwise, Whitehall should be in the Buckeye division and compete with the likes of TV. With more and more games being at 7PM you will definitely see lower attendance numbers. I tried getting out to a few games around central Ohio this year and then heard traffic reports. No thanks.
Whitehall was certainly competitive in football these last two seasons, and would probably be a good fit for the MSL-Buckeye. No knowledge of how they do in other sports, though.
Old 02-26-19, 04:38 PM
All District

bsee54321 is on a distinguished road
Buckeye Valley joined because of the MOAC moving north. I would think that in about 3 years Marion Pleasant and Marion River Valley will be looking to get out of the MOAC because of the move north by the MOAC. The Ohio Cardinal Conference is sorta up in the air and I could see Lexington and West Holmes being interested in joining the MOAC- thus having Pleasant and River Valley looking to get out.
As for the Ohio Division- Grandview Hts should be playing in the Cardinal Division. This school is land locked and losing enrollment- according to the just released enrollment boys enrollment is 123 and girls is 120 this will most likely put them in Division 4 in basketball and border between Division 6/7 in football. There football numbers are way down and are playing 8 man football in the middle schools.
Whitehall has been competitive in football for that last 3 years and basketball is competitive- most other sports Whitehall does not compete well enough to be in league championship talks. So yes size wise they are much bigger but competitive wise they fit on the Mid State Ohio.
Columbus Academy, Worthington Christian, Bexley are championship competitive in most all sports in the Mid State Ohio. I would expect Buckeye Valley to be championship competitive in most all sports in the Mid State Ohio.
The Mid State will always have the Buckeye Division. These schools do not want to break apart.
If Rosecrans were to leave the Mid State Cardinal- it would allow Grandview Hts to move to the Cardinal Division.
I respect what the Mid State is trying to maintain there current schools in the League.
The Mid State has worked with Columbus Ready to fill their need in football and would love to see Ready join as a full fledged Mid State member. Columbus Hartley would be a good fit for the Mid State League except in Football.
So with all that being said-
I would expect the Mid State to remain as is unless enrollment realignment is forced on the league by the AD's. If that happens- Circleville and Logan Elm leave for the Frontier Athletic Conference in southeast Ohio. I would think the League Commissioner will continue to work with schools that have needs the league can help with, ie Columbus Ready. I mentioned Hartley would be a great fit except for football.

Last edited by bsee54321; 02-26-19 at 06:55 PM.
Old 02-26-19, 06:44 PM
All American

I wouldíve been fine with Grandview Heights moving to the Cardinal, but that wasnít at the time an option for football because of the situation with Worthington Christianís football program. WC was originally supposed to be a football-playing member of the Cardinal through the conclusion of the 2016 season; however, because WC by that point in time was still experiencing growing pains as a program they were allowed to keep playing the Cardinal. By now I think WC is a lot further ahead and probably is ready to go play in the Ohio - plus, WC is not a big fan of the travel that Cardinal football entails.

With HP now playing in the Ohio for football, they probably should just switch their divisional affiliation with that of Grandview Heights for all sports. I donít mind Prep and have some respect for them, but their sports outside of football and basketball are beyond non-competitive. GH, Fisher and Berne U would make a great Ďbig threeí in the Cardinal... and, after having to put up with some of the ridiculousness that has gone on these last few years with other Cardinal schoolís athletics, FC and BU should be rewarded with an opportunity to play an old league rival (one that is of their athletic caliber, of their identity and of their tradition.)
Old 02-26-19, 06:57 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsee54321 View Post
Buckeye Valley joined because of the MOAC moving north. I would think that in about 3 years Marion Pleasant and Marion River Valley will be looking to get out of the MOAC because of the move north by the MOAC. The Ohio Cardinal Conference is sorta up in the air and I could see Lexington and West Holmes being interested in joining the MOAC- thus having Pleasant and River Valley looking to get out.
As for the Ohio Division- Grandview Hts should be playing in the Cardinal Division. This school is land locked and losing enrollment- according to the just released enrollment boys enrollment is 123 and girls is 120 this will most likely put them in Division 4 in basketball and border between Division 6/7 in football. There football numbers are way down and are playing 8 man football in the middle schools.
Whitehall has been competitive in football for that last 3 years and basketball is competitive- most other sports Whitehall does not compete well enough to be in league championship talks. So yes size wise they are much bigger but competitive wise they fit on the Mid State Ohio.
Columbus Academy, Worthington Christian, Bexley are championship competitive in most all sports in the Mid State Ohio. I would expect Buckeye Valley to be championship competitive in most all sports in the Mid State Ohio.
The Mid State will always have the Buckeye Division. These schools do not want to break apart.
If Rosecrans were to leave the Mid State Cardinal- it would allow Grandview Hts to move to the Cardinal Division.
I respect what the Mid State is trying to maintain there current schools in the League.
The Mid State has worked with Columbus Ready to fill their need in football and would love to see Ready join as a full fledged Mid State member. Columbus Hartley would be a good fit for the Mid State League except in Football.
So with all that being said-
I would expect the Mid State to remain as is unless enrollment realignment is forced on the league by the AD's. If that happens- Circleville and Logan Elm leave for the Frontier Athletic Conference in southeast Ohio. I would think the League Commissioner will continue to work with schools that have needs the league can help with, ie Columbus Ready. I mentioned Hartley would be a great fit except for football.

On the Girls side- Columbus School for Girls begin Mid State Ohio play next school year. Columbus School for Girls were not competitive at all in the Central Catholic League
Old 02-26-19, 07:16 PM
All American

On the topic of Hartley/Ready: there was a rumor a few months ago that the CCL contingency were looking to create a conference that would be co-lateral with the current CCL setup, in which the CCL five would still play each other and play for a CCL title but would also feature three other similar schools to schedule, compete against and play for an overall conference crown. However, that idea has supposedly died because Bishop Campbell and the Diocese of Columbus does not want that happening.
Old 02-27-19, 07:21 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
On the topic of Hartley/Ready: there was a rumor a few months ago that the CCL contingency were looking to create a conference that would be co-lateral with the current CCL setup, in which the CCL five would still play each other and play for a CCL title but would also feature three other similar schools to schedule, compete against and play for an overall conference crown. However, that idea has supposedly died because Bishop Campbell and the Diocese of Columbus does not want that happening.
Ready has had an agreement for a couple years I believe where we would only ever play one CCL school per season. This coming season will be the first time in decades that Ready and Hartley do not face each other as they have been replaced with St. Charles for the next two years. After that is DeSales/Watterson, Has there been any word about if Ready intends to join the MSL as a full member in football? I know the past couple years were a trial period on both sides to see how they were as a fit. I personally like the idea of playing in the MSL. Columbus Academy, Grandview, Liberty Union, etc are great fits for our schedule.
Old 02-27-19, 10:31 AM
All District

WJ-OSU-STEELERS is on a distinguished road
Below are the MSL teams with the 2018 Football records and the 2019 Boys & Girls #'s. Regarding the MSL teams from a football standpoint:
* Buckeye schools will probably stay together except for Teays Valley - they have simply out grown the league and will eventually move to the OCC or a new league with Logan & others. The remaining schools are close enough to enrollment, drive time and have some natural rivalries.
* Cardinal schools are mostly private, extremely small schools. Having Harvest Prep move to the Ohio will balance out the football & basketball competitiveness for the Cardinal. I just don't see any of these schools moving due to their small size - Zanesville Rosecrans may due to the drive time to the other schools. Worthington Christian should have moved up to the Ohio by now for football but they simply can not compete with the Ohio schools.
* Ohio schools are the one's that I would think are looking or at least will listen to an new conference. Whitehall is simply too big. Buckeye Valley is way out of place from a location standpoint. Liberty Union would prefer to be with the Buckeye schools but they are just too small (football) to complete on a year to year basis. Grandview Hts, Columbus Academy, Bexley & Bishop Ready is a nice group. Throw in Worthington Christian (if they could improve their football program) and West Jefferson - this would be the making of a nice conference. They would just need two more teams which is the problem/sticking point, there isn't two teams with similar numbers in the Central Ohio area. Jonathan Alder is growing and is/will be too big, London is too far away and Madison Plains is too far & wouldn't be very competitive. Plus, I do not believe West Jefferson would be interested, they appear to be happy with the Ohio Heritage Conference.

MSL - DIVISION TEAM 2018 FBALL REC BOYS GIRLS
MSL - Buckeye Teays Valley 7-3 453 466
MSL - Ohio Whitehall 10-2 387 329
MSL - Buckeye Hamilton Township 5-5 344 328
MSL - Ohio Buckeye Valley 5-5 302 278
MSL - Ohio Bexley 1-9 271 287
MSL - Buckeye Bloom Carroll 9-3 255 225
MSL - Buckeye Logan Elm 1-9 246 252
MSL - Buckeye Circleville 0-10 240 236
MSL - Buckeye Fairfield Union 3-7 227 233
MSL - Buckeye Amanda Clearcreek 8-3 188 175
MSL - Ohio Liberty Union 2-8 161 145
MSL - Ohio Columbus Academy 6-4 159 158
MSL - Cardinal Worthington Christian 6-4 126 135
MSL - Ohio Grandview Hts 7-4 123 120
MSL - Cardinal Wellington NA 101 85
MSL - Cardinal Berne Union 8-3 95 108
MSL - Cardinal Grove City Christian 4-6 87 85
MSL - Cardinal Harvest Prep 11-1 79 62
MSL - Cardinal Fairfield Christian Ac 0-10 62 79
MSL - Cardinal Millersport NA 59 62
MSL - Cardinal Fisher Catholic 6-4 57 57
MSL - Cardinal Zanesville Rosecrans 5-5 45 48
* Ohio fball only Bishop Ready 4-6 160 156
Others/former MSL teams
London 11-2 267 226
Jonathan Alder 6-4 270 238
West Jefferson 8-3 151 140
Madison Plains 3-7 167 107
Old 02-27-19, 11:33 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ-OSU-STEELERS View Post
Below are the MSL teams with the 2018 Football records and the 2019 Boys & Girls #'s. Regarding the MSL teams from a football standpoint:
* Buckeye schools will probably stay together except for Teays Valley - they have simply out grown the league and will eventually move to the OCC or a new league with Logan & others. The remaining schools are close enough to enrollment, drive time and have some natural rivalries.
* Cardinal schools are mostly private, extremely small schools. Having Harvest Prep move to the Ohio will balance out the football & basketball competitiveness for the Cardinal. I just don't see any of these schools moving due to their small size - Zanesville Rosecrans may due to the drive time to the other schools. Worthington Christian should have moved up to the Ohio by now for football but they simply can not compete with the Ohio schools.
* Ohio schools are the one's that I would think are looking or at least will listen to an new conference. Whitehall is simply too big. Buckeye Valley is way out of place from a location standpoint. Liberty Union would prefer to be with the Buckeye schools but they are just too small (football) to complete on a year to year basis. Grandview Hts, Columbus Academy, Bexley & Bishop Ready is a nice group. Throw in Worthington Christian (if they could improve their football program) and West Jefferson - this would be the making of a nice conference. They would just need two more teams which is the problem/sticking point, there isn't two teams with similar numbers in the Central Ohio area. Jonathan Alder is growing and is/will be too big, London is too far away and Madison Plains is too far & wouldn't be very competitive. Plus, I do not believe West Jefferson would be interested, they appear to be happy with the Ohio Heritage Conference.

MSL - DIVISION TEAM 2018 FBALL REC BOYS GIRLS
MSL - Buckeye Teays Valley 7-3 453 466
MSL - Ohio Whitehall 10-2 387 329
MSL - Buckeye Hamilton Township 5-5 344 328
MSL - Ohio Buckeye Valley 5-5 302 278
MSL - Ohio Bexley 1-9 271 287
MSL - Buckeye Bloom Carroll 9-3 255 225
MSL - Buckeye Logan Elm 1-9 246 252
MSL - Buckeye Circleville 0-10 240 236
MSL - Buckeye Fairfield Union 3-7 227 233
MSL - Buckeye Amanda Clearcreek 8-3 188 175
MSL - Ohio Liberty Union 2-8 161 145
MSL - Ohio Columbus Academy 6-4 159 158
MSL - Cardinal Worthington Christian 6-4 126 135
MSL - Ohio Grandview Hts 7-4 123 120
MSL - Cardinal Wellington NA 101 85
MSL - Cardinal Berne Union 8-3 95 108
MSL - Cardinal Grove City Christian 4-6 87 85
MSL - Cardinal Harvest Prep 11-1 79 62
MSL - Cardinal Fairfield Christian Ac 0-10 62 79
MSL - Cardinal Millersport NA 59 62
MSL - Cardinal Fisher Catholic 6-4 57 57
MSL - Cardinal Zanesville Rosecrans 5-5 45 48
* Ohio fball only Bishop Ready 4-6 160 156
Others/former MSL teams
London 11-2 267 226
Jonathan Alder 6-4 270 238
West Jefferson 8-3 151 140
Madison Plains 3-7 167 107
Whats in the water at Madison Plains?
Old 02-27-19, 11:35 AM
All Region

AHM is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyKnightsFan View Post
Ready has had an agreement for a couple years I believe where we would only ever play one CCL school per season. This coming season will be the first time in decades that Ready and Hartley do not face each other as they have been replaced with St. Charles for the next two years. After that is DeSales/Watterson, Has there been any word about if Ready intends to join the MSL as a full member in football? I know the past couple years were a trial period on both sides to see how they were as a fit. I personally like the idea of playing in the MSL. Columbus Academy, Grandview, Liberty Union, etc are great fits for our schedule.
I thought Ready was playing Hartley this year again?
Old 02-27-19, 11:59 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHM View Post
I thought Ready was playing Hartley this year again?
Nope, here is Ready's schedule

@ Genoa
v West Jeff
@ St Charles
@ Liberty Union
v Buckeye Valley
@ Columbus Academy
v Harvest Prep
@ Whitehall
v Bexley
v Grandview Heights

The enrollment size and demographics of Hartley has them now competing and beating DeSales, it didn't make sense for Ready to keep a guaranteed loss on the schedule every year.

I would be very curious what Ready does after this season. Would we officially become a full fledged member of the MSL in football or not.
Old 02-28-19, 03:18 PM
Junior Varsity

JU-ICE is on a distinguished road
Will be interesting to see if the LCL will poach any MSL teams as they look to expand.
Old 02-28-19, 04:41 PM
All District

I would doubt any of the schools in the Buckeye or Ohio Division would be interested in the Licking County League. As for the Cardinal Division schools you can always look at Millersport, Lancaster Fisher and Fairfield Christian as being an option but I doubt those 3 schools will better themselves competitive wise by playing Newark Catholic, Northridge, Heath, Utica and Johnstown on a regular basis. The LCL listed are the ones in the LCL small division.
Old 02-28-19, 05:29 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsee54321 View Post
I would doubt any of the schools in the Buckeye or Ohio Division would be interested in the Licking County League. As for the Cardinal Division schools you can always look at Millersport, Lancaster Fisher and Fairfield Christian as being an option but I doubt those 3 schools will better themselves competitive wise by playing Newark Catholic, Northridge, Heath, Utica and Johnstown on a regular basis. The LCL listed are the ones in the LCL small division.
One of these three are unlike the other two. Millersport isnít bringing football back and is in dire straits athletically, while FCA is only fielding football at this point to keep 20 boys in the school.

Fisher, on the other hand, is serious about football and has proven as such. Roster of 35 players, fielded JV and is resurrecting an 11-man format middle school football team. They also field a complete boys soccer program, one that was very competitive the two years it played in the MSL-Buckeye against Teays Valley, HT, BC etc. Arguably the best facilities in the MSL-Cardinal, 95% student body participation in sports, and an impassioned fan/alumni base.

Would they go 6-0/7-0 in the LCL small football-wise year in and year out? No. But at the same time, Utica is not good at football, Newark Catholicís enrollment is dropping and the NC people really would like to play FC again in all sports (including football.) Heath and Northridge arenít world beaters in football: they experience waxes and wanes. Johnstown will likely be a D3/D4 school ten years from now with all the growth eastward of Gahanna and New Albany. Plus, FC went 2-0 against the LCL small in hoops this year.

I understand why FC would not be #1 candidate for LCL (small) expansion, but unless Centerburg suddenly decides they donít want to do the KMAC anymore or unless Bexley/Academy parents develop a burning desire to make umpteen trips to Licking County... well, the FC administration would be at least willing to listen if the LCL called them. And everyone knows past a Centerburg or Bexley/Academy, the only two worthwhile expansion candidates would be Liberty Union or Fisher.
Old 02-28-19, 09:42 PM
Freshman

LCL is on a distinguished road
As I've said on a previous thread, I would love to see the LCL "poach" some of the MSL teams and become a premier central ohio conference. Something along the lines of these divisions would be great in my opinion:

METRO
Whitehall
Newark
Zanesville
Licking Heights
Watkins Memorial
Granville

CAPITAL
Licking Valley
Johnstown
Bexley
Grandview Heights
Lakewood
Liberty Union

OHIO
Newark Catholic
Fisher Catholic
Northridge
Utica
Heath
Berne Union

A couple crossover games (not mandatory) and I think you have some competetive, stable conferences for the future.
Old 03-01-19, 08:05 AM
Junior Varsity

JU-ICE is on a distinguished road
I think an LCL Small School Division of these teams would be intriguing to LU and FC:
Lakewood
Johnstown
Heath
Utica
Northridge
NC
FC
Liberty Union
Old 03-01-19, 08:08 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCL View Post
As I've said on a previous thread, I would love to see the LCL "poach" some of the MSL teams and become a premier central ohio conference. Something along the lines of these divisions would be great in my opinion:

METRO
Whitehall
Newark
Zanesville
Licking Heights
Watkins Memorial
Granville

CAPITAL
Licking Valley
Johnstown
Bexley
Grandview Heights
Lakewood
Liberty Union

OHIO
Newark Catholic
Fisher Catholic
Northridge
Utica
Heath
Berne Union

A couple crossover games (not mandatory) and I think you have some competetive, stable conferences for the future.

That would be a tough sell for Grandview as it would require leaving the county for 4 of the 5 teams in their division but all in all, I think that looks like a pretty strong league.

Are any MSL teams grumbling or is this a hypothetical thread?
Old 03-01-19, 12:16 PM
All District

Have to agree Grandview Hts is not looking to go from one hot pot to another. Grandview Hts enrollment is declining- next year they most likely will be Division 4 in basketball and border Division 6/7 in football. They have been lobbying to get out of the Ohio Division so play in the Cardinal and schools of their size. Mid State has been saying Grandview hts is too competitive to play in the Cardinal Division. Looking at the suggestion to put Grandview Hts in a division with Licking Valley, Johnstown, Bexley and Lakewood would not help Grandview Hts mission to play schools of their size. Even in the proposed Ohio Division Utica, Northridge and Heath have higher enrollment than Grandview Hts.
Old 03-01-19, 04:12 PM
Freshman

LCL is on a distinguished road
How about flipping Heath and Grandview in my hypothetical divisions....more travel time though they played these teams in the Cardinal once upon a time
Old 03-01-19, 06:02 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyKnightsFan View Post
That would be a tough sell for Grandview as it would require leaving the county for 4 of the 5 teams in their division but all in all, I think that looks like a pretty strong league.

Are any MSL teams grumbling or is this a hypothetical thread?
There are, indeed, grumblings.
Old 03-14-19, 11:34 AM
Freshman

hawkeyepsu is on a distinguished road
Bloom Carroll could replace GH in your Capitol. They would fit in well
Old 03-15-19, 01:50 PM
Varsity

smashmouth56 is on a distinguished road
GH moving down size wise to Cardinal would make sense but why in the world is HP and WC still playing in the Cardinal.

I realize HP is scheduled to move up but that should have happened a while ago

if GCC is thinking about forming a new league their AD needs his head examined. Options for a D6/7 school is limited and the story about Tree of Life starting football has been going for 5 years at least