Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-12-19, 02:36 PM
All Region

StSebastian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
I heard that Minster's coach is looking to leave and could be interested after his short suspension last week.
He was in the running last time. I posted this in the Tipp thread a week ago:

All this may be a blessing in disguise... If Stokes is having issues with Minster (or Minster is having issues with Stokes... I can't keep it straight)... Stokes was in the final applicant pool last time around at Troy when Matt got the job...

"Burgbacher beat out 29 other applicants for the position. Among other applicants were Springfield Shawnee head coach Rick Meeks, Minster head coach Geron Stokes, Bethel head coach and former..." from a TDN article in 2015

Matt has done a great job at Troy but could replacing him with Stokes be another step up? He has a pretty sparkling resume... If Troy is set to dominate in the league (attractive for Stokes) and Stokes can bring another level of focus and experience to the table for the playoffs (attractive for Troy)... Troy could be okay here...

Tipp wins, Troy wins
Old 02-12-19, 02:49 PM
All Region

NewJacketCity is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I heard that Minster's coach is looking to leave and could be interested after his short suspension last week.
What happened?
Old 02-12-19, 02:51 PM
All Ohio

Ballboy000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom_isnt_free View Post
Wright or Manson could be two great hires within.
Two Excellent Coaches that bring college experience to the HS game and were both huge assets to the Burgbachers at Troy the past few years. A major part of why Troy had the best staff in the GWOC in my opinion.
Old 02-12-19, 02:54 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJacketCity View Post
What happened?
Nothing big or really noteworthy. He was put on "administrative leave" to "evaluate the culture of the program" after a couple of his kids admitted to underage drinking and got in trouble at school. The parents of said kids accused him of coercion because he "made" them do the right thing and turn themselves in... or something along those lines.

Just another day in Auglaize County
Old 02-12-19, 03:00 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
Big fish in a small pond. When is Troy going to grow a pair and join a conference with teams their own size? Oh wait, they just left it to be the biggest school in the MVL.
Xenia has basically the same male enrollment size as Troy. If last year was not a fluke, the Bucs, under their new staff, will be a force to be reckoned with in the MVL.
Old 02-12-19, 03:04 PM
All Region

NewJacketCity is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StSebastian View Post
Nothing big or really noteworthy. He was put on "administrative leave" to "evaluate the culture of the program" after a couple of his kids admitted to underage drinking and got in trouble at school. The parents of said kids accused him of coercion because he "made" them do the right thing and turn themselves in... or something along those lines.

I hate it when people make my kids do the right thing. lol
Old 02-12-19, 03:57 PM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by catscatscats View Post
Should get Carter out of NW sure he would leave
As much as I'd love to see Carter coaching here, they will probably hire within since there are qualified teachers.
Old 02-12-19, 10:20 PM
All District

FeartheRooster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
As much as I'd love to see Carter coaching here, they will probably hire within since there are qualified teachers.
Word on the street is Carter has lots of dirty laundry, I don’t see Troy taking a chance on him. Good coach or not.
Old 02-12-19, 11:48 PM
All World

serpico will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeartheRooster View Post
Word on the street is Carter has lots of dirty laundry, I don’t see Troy taking a chance on him. Good coach or not.
Classy.
Old 02-13-19, 06:59 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeartheRooster View Post
He’s a close friend of mine. I know what really happened to what you’re referring to and you can’t believe everything you hear.
Old 02-13-19, 10:51 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StSebastian View Post

Doing the right thing is hard, but it is the right thing.

Knew of a kid who got caught out of town and easily could have gotten away with it, but he and his parents told the coach because....it was the right thing, and he was suspended for the season per the team rules.

Some lessons can be very difficult to learn.

If Coach Stokes is holding his kids up to a higher standard than what the parents and other students adhere to then I applaud his attempts to change the culture in the school and area. Every area has their "issues" and that area is no different.

A former 1SG once told me 'what you permit, you endorse'.

Kudos for Coach Stokes sticking to his guns.

Now if they could just get him to root for MAC teams come playoff time
Old 02-13-19, 11:35 AM
All Region

Quote:
Doing the right thing is hard, but it is the right thing.

Knew of a kid who got caught out of town and easily could have gotten away with it, but he and his parents told the coach because....it was the right thing, and he was suspended for the season per the team rules.

Some lessons can be very difficult to learn.

If Coach Stokes is holding his kids up to a higher standard than what the parents and other students adhere to then I applaud his attempts to change the culture in the school and area. Every area has their "issues" and that area is no different.

A former 1SG once told me 'what you permit, you endorse'.

Kudos for Coach Stokes sticking to his guns.

Now if they could just get him to root for MAC teams come playoff time
Old 02-13-19, 09:36 PM
All American

TheBenchwarmer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball47 View Post
Waiting for TheBenchwarmer to come in and post about how he, I mean Hyatt, would be a fantastic hire for Troy.
Why wouldn’t he be? Proven head coach who knows the GWOC and soon to be MVL.
Old 02-13-19, 09:39 PM
All American

Keep a lot of the current staff and see if Derge would be interested in the defensive side of the ball. Two old rivals who I know have a lot of respect for one another.
Old 02-14-19, 12:33 AM
Junior Varsity

Ball47 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBenchwarmer View Post
Why wouldn’t he be? Proven head coach who knows the GWOC and soon to be MVL.
"Proven"? Proven at what? Proven to guarantee a losing season I suppose since he has never had a winning season as a HC.
Old 02-14-19, 06:52 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball47 View Post
"Proven"? Proven at what? Proven to guarantee a losing season I suppose since he has never had a winning season as a HC.
If you think the measure of a good coach is only in wins and losses then you are part of the problem. It’s about building confidence and character in young people. Preparing them for life helping them be the absolute best versions of themselves both on and off the field. In my eyes Hyatt has done that and much more. In the right program Hyatt would be fire.
Old 02-14-19, 06:59 AM
All District

BleedPurple&Gold is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBenchwarmer View Post
If you think the measure of a good coach is only in wins and losses then you are part of the problem. It’s about building confidence and character in young people. Preparing them for life helping them be the absolute best versions of themselves both on and off the field. In my eyes Hyatt has done that and much more. In the right program Hyatt would be fire.

You are Hyatt or some sort of family. There is not one person in Vandalia that feels that way and you can go and talk to the young men that played for him and they will tell you the same. You can talk about building character and all of this stuff but you have to have character and mental toughness yourself to be able to get young men to listen what you are telling them. Hyatt had no respect from his players. So again take that building men stuff somewhere else. I agree a coach is more than a X & O’s guy and I agree most coaches are mentors in a huge way or a small way but Hyatt was never that to the Butler program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-19, 10:32 AM
All District

This is like Groundhog Day, how the hell is Hyatt on every single thread? You’re a liar and you’ve proven you can’t be an effective HC. To even get those jobs you’ve fabricated your resumes, move on.
Old 02-15-19, 11:29 AM
All American

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Hyatt = Derge = TippIsGreat
Old 02-16-19, 10:35 AM
Hail To The Aviators

ButlerAviator83 is on a distinguished road
There will be challenges for whoever takes the reins in Troy. The Trojans have the numbers without question, but they graduated a boatload of talent. Even if they hire within for continuity, you still have a big void with the loss of the Burgbachers. Much attention has been given to the loss of Matt, and rightfully so, but I think the loss of Charlie as DC will loom equally as large.

The new MVL will also be it's own type of challenge for Troy and other DII programs as those Harbins become harder to attain with the 9 league games. The playoffs and seeding in particular will likely be affected. Right or wrong the new staff will be held to a very high standard which will be a challenge to live up to.

Interesting times for sure!
Old 02-16-19, 11:05 AM
Junior Varsity

Big932 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButlerAviator83 View Post
There will be challenges for whoever takes the reins in Troy. The Trojans have the numbers without question, but they graduated a boatload of talent. Even if they hire within for continuity, you still have a big void with the loss of the Burgbachers. Much attention has been given to the loss of Matt, and rightfully so, but I think the loss of Charlie as DC will loom equally as large.

The new MVL will also be it's own type of challenge for Troy and other DII programs as those Harbins become harder to attain with the 9 league games. The playoffs and seeding in particular will likely be affected. Right or wrong the new staff will be held to a very high standard which will be a challenge to live up to.

Interesting times for sure!
I’d second that.

Charlie led Troy to the number one defense in the GWOC last season. He was their most valuable asset. His expertise overcompensated for deficiencies that they possibly had on defense. It also helped to have the DPOY in the State. But Sam Jackson is gone now.

The OHSAA post is seeking someone with 3 or more years of experience as a head coach. Hopefully they can find someone with the right amount of experience and maybe most of their staff can be retained to continue their success.

I’d have to say they’re still the team to beat in the MVL.
Old 02-16-19, 11:32 AM
Hail To The Aviators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big932 View Post

Without question.
Old 02-16-19, 02:37 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Teams that catch Troy early in the season will have the best chance at beating them. Are the MVL schedules for this coming season posted anywhere?
Old 02-16-19, 02:46 PM
Hail To The Aviators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballboy000 View Post
Teams that catch Troy early in the season will have the best chance at beating them. Are the MVL schedules for this coming season posted anywhere?
Butler has Troy in Week 2 and I agree better to get them early. Not sure about the other schedules, but Butler is as follows:

Harrison
@Troy
@Wilmington
West Carrollton
@Piqua
Xenia
@Fairborn
@Stebbins
Greenville
Tippecanoe

Old 02-16-19, 04:02 PM
All Yappi

Last year Troy beat the current MVL league members by an average of 26 points per game. Xenia and Piqua were close games. Can't imagine what that margin would be without those 2 close scores. Point being, Troy would have to be significantly worse next year to not be considered the favorite.

They will not be as good as last year, and there will be some closer games this year. I do agree that some of the other teams will get within reach of them. Breaking in a new coach, and losing some stud players will be noticeable next year.
Old 02-16-19, 04:03 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballboy000 View Post
I found them on Yappi.

Stebbins plays all 9 MVL Opponents
Troy - 8 does not play WC
Tipp - 8 does not play Sidney
Butler 8 does not play Sidney
Piqua 8 Does not play Fairborn
Greenville 8 Does not play Xenia
Fairborn 8 Does not play Piqua
Xenia 7 Does not play WC or Greenville
Sidney 7 Does not play Butler or Tipp
WC 7 Does not play Troy or Xenia
Old 02-16-19, 05:30 PM
All District

Quote:
I’d second that.

Charlie led Troy to the number one defense in the GWOC last season. He was their most valuable asset. His expertise overcompensated for deficiencies that they possibly had on defense. It also helped to have the DPOY in the State. But Sam Jackson is gone now.

The OHSAA post is seeking someone with 3 or more years of experience as a head coach. Hopefully they can find someone with the right amount of experience and maybe most of their staff can be retained to continue their success.

No disrespect but you have zero idea of what you’re talking about. The behind the scenes work that was put in to make that defense what it has been was not Charlie’s doing. Former players have told me, as well as knowing guys close to that staff, the brains of the operation isn’t him. Besides loosing all the talent they lost, Troy will be more sound defensively moving forward if they keep the guys they have.
Old 02-16-19, 05:50 PM
All Yappi

Jason Manson and Ben Merkert are also big reasons why Troy’s d was successful to go along with Charlie B.
Old 02-17-19, 11:09 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
Jason Manson and Ben Merkert are also big reasons why Troy’s d was successful to go along with Charlie B.
You’re right, I’ve heard those guys are pretty sharp together. But don’t short change the third head, Dan Gress either. I’ve heard some great things about him as a coach, leader, and educator. Word is, he’s more the ‘next big thing’ as HC in some of the eyes of the program because of his character traits. Interesting
Old 02-17-19, 02:34 PM
All Ohio

Troy is still the team to beat & they are not hurting for talent. They lose a lot of starters but they have their All Division QB Siler returning who had the #3 QB rating in the GWOC for passing & he also runs. They return their Kicker (Siler) & their Punter & their leading punt returner Weston Smith. They have a good RB in Kevin Walters 6.5 yds per carry and a couple of experienced receivers returning. They return Riley Hubbard a 2nd team All Division O-Lineman but will need to replace several O-Linemen. Defensively Troy will need to replace most of the defense with the exception of All Division DB Weston Smith who led the entire GWOC in Interceptions with 5 and Defensive Linemen Austin Good & Adam Decerbo who return & combined for 79 tackles & 2.5 Sacks. With a league leading 45 returning upperclassmen they should have no problem filling the holes left by graduation.

In the last 3 years Troy is 20-0 against MVL teams. If Troy keeps the rest of their staff together after the departure of the Burgbachers they will be in good shape to make a run for their 4th consecutive title.