Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-07-19, 03:02 PM
Junior Varsity

JU-ICE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gils View Post
I think that they are looking at Big Walnut and Mt. Vernon for the big division. I do not think Newark and Lancaster would not come to the LCL because they are to big. I do not think either Granville or Licking Valley would be to thrilled in playing them.
I agree with the Granville and LV position, more so for LV. Granville is on the high end of D3 for FBALL and only 20 boys away from being D1 in BBALL. So, I think they would be stuck in the Big School Division, whereas I can see LV moving to the Small School Division if that is what is needed to get to 8 teams in each division, which appears to be the goal at this time. Will be really interesting to see what LV would do if they get stuck in the Big School Division.
Old 03-08-19, 09:33 AM
All American

The Dock is an unknown quantity at this point
Sheridan and Tri-Valley aren’t going to the LCL. The MVL just realigned and every school committed to stay there for at least three years. Have a hard time Sheridan & TV would consider leaving even after that 3-year window.

Ask Watkins Memorial if they would want to play Lancaster in football.

MV and BW are good LCL fits. BW fits better enrollment wise, but I think that district will still grow in the coming years.

Last edited by The Dock; 03-08-19 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-08-19, 09:36 AM
All American

The Dock is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JU-ICE View Post
I agree with the Granville and LV position, more so for LV. Granville is on the high end of D3 for FBALL and only 20 boys away from being D1 in BBALL. So, I think they would be stuck in the Big School Division, whereas I can see LV moving to the Small School Division if that is what is needed to get to 8 teams in each division, which appears to be the goal at this time. Will be really interesting to see what LV would do if they get stuck in the Big School Division.
This, however, brings up something I hadn’t considered before: what is the possibility, if any at all, that the LCL schools try to strategize their “yes”/“no” votes to keep Licking Valley to the ‘big’ division? If you add LU and FC, that’s two schools who will lower the enrollment ceiling of the small school division, making LV stuck in the ‘big.’
Old 03-11-19, 11:11 AM
Freshman

Buckey Backer is on a distinguished road
I don't see how the MVL expansion does anything for Tri Valley? It just added more small schools in Meadowbrook, Coshocton and River View. That may keep Sheridan in the MVL, but at some point, Tri Valley needs to act like the D1 school they are in most sports. Beating up on Crooksville and Morgan does absolutely nothing for Tri Valley. They should seriously consider joining the LCL. From a competitive standpoint, it would be a great fit!
Old 03-11-19, 12:12 PM
All District

RollingTrain is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckey Backer View Post
I don't see how the MVL expansion does anything for Tri Valley? It just added more small schools in Meadowbrook, Coshocton and River View. That may keep Sheridan in the MVL, but at some point, Tri Valley needs to act like the D1 school they are in most sports. Beating up on Crooksville and Morgan does absolutely nothing for Tri Valley. They should seriously consider joining the LCL. From a competitive standpoint, it would be a great fit!
Normally, I'd be with you on that one...but Tri-Valley has more than held their own against Div. II/III competition in postseason pay. And they've consistently done that. This is the first year that the schedule made it iffy for postseason play in football, but Region 7 was a bit abnormal this year with the number of teams vying for a spot.
Old 03-11-19, 10:05 PM
All Ohio

teach1coach2 is on a distinguished road
The teams coming to and already in the MVL agreed to stay for 10 years in the 12 team - 2 division league starting the year after next.

Tri-Valley enrollment is dropping. Could possibly be D3 in football and D2 in basketball depending if the division cut offs stay near where they are or drop.

Maybe down the road if a stable D1/D2 league occurred in this part of the state, TV would be interested. There has not been a stable D1/D2 league in this area for a long, long time if ever.
Old 03-12-19, 05:52 AM
Freshman

Isn't that what they are trying to form? A DI/DII league for the big schools? If all rumors are consistent, this was tried a few years ago and Tri Valley wanted no part of it then too. I just don't see how a league consisting of the following 8 schools is so hard to form?

Newark
Big Walnut
Granville
Licking Heights
Mt Vernon
Tri Valley
Watkins Memorial
Zanesville

Those schools are mostly all DI and DII. None of those schools are schools that should make any of those schools afraid to join. Its not like joining a league with Pickerington Central and Gahanna....which is exactly what Newark is doing...AGAIN! Newark needs to think about all of its student athletes at some point. Newark will get absolutely dominated in the OCC Ohio division like it was for many years. That league is an absolute juggernaut that in all honesty, Newark has no business being in other than boys/girls basketball. Newark should take its own destiny into its hands and join a league they can be in for the long run.
Old 03-12-19, 07:34 AM
All District

BobcatQB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This was the reason for MVL expansion..so they won't have to beat up on Crooksville and Morgan. TV isn't going anywhere.
Old 03-12-19, 09:38 AM
All District

WJ-OSU-STEELERS is on a distinguished road
I could see where it makes sense for Newark to move from the OCC but I do no see where Big Walnut would want to move. The Big Walnut school district will only continue to grow with above average to wealthy homeowners. The OCC will simply offer more sports and will align BW with like schools. I think Liberty Union would be a great fit for the small school LCL but I would be concerned for Fisher Catholic joining. I just don't know if Fisher Catholic will have the #'s to complete year in-year out, especially from a football perspective. Going from the MSL Cardinal to the LCL is a extremely big jump in competition. I did see where Fisher Catholic beat Newark Catholic in the boys basketball tourney recently; FC was something like 15-7 while NC was something like 6-14. Similar teams but completely different records because of the competition from within the league's they were in.
Old 03-12-19, 11:01 AM
Freshman

The reality is that the LCL's future is in trouble. It HAS to do something. We all know about Watkins and Licking Heights growth, but Newark, Granville and especially Johnstown are poised for growth as well. I firmly believe that in the next 10-15 years, Johnstown will be a much much bigger school. With most estimates saying the Columbus is going to add around 500,000 more people to the metro population, its only natural that Johnstown will eventually start growing rapidly. Heck they just announced recently that there are 2 housing divisions that are going to bring around 2,000 homes. That's just the start. Johnstown is only like 5 miles away from New Albany and look at how much New Albany has grown. So my theory is Johnstown is a school that will most likely join the big school division at some point.
Old 03-13-19, 11:42 AM
Junior Varsity

JU-ICE is on a distinguished road
that is why the LCL is and has been trying to get out in front of the growing size discrepancy of the current teams. Expanding each league to 8 teams for now will allow for movement or additions to 10 in each division in the future.
Old 03-13-19, 12:14 PM
Freshman

If the LCL is able to expand, i think ultimately i would like to see the LCL become a new version of the "Central Ohio League"...COL. It would make more sense than the LCL at that point.
Old 03-13-19, 01:00 PM
Freshman

LCL is on a distinguished road
I think eventually what will need to become of the LCL is a League consisting of 3-4 six team conferences. This gives you a greater diversity to create divisions, whether by geography or school size, and allows you the ability to add schools if need be. Its a bold and ambitious idea, but I can envision the LCL absorbing schools and defunct conferences to do something like this.
Old 03-13-19, 03:28 PM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The reality is that the LCL's future is in trouble. It HAS to do something. We all know about Watkins and Licking Heights growth, but Newark, Granville and especially Johnstown are poised for growth as well. I firmly believe that in the next 10-15 years, Johnstown will be a much much bigger school. With most estimates saying the Columbus is going to add around 500,000 more people to the metro population, its only natural that Johnstown will eventually start growing rapidly. Heck they just announced recently that there are 2 housing divisions that are going to bring around 2,000 homes. That's just the start. Johnstown is only like 5 miles away from New Albany and look at how much New Albany has grown. So my theory is Johnstown is a school that will most likely join the big school division at some point.
Granville is not going to have any significant growth, I would think Johnstown, Heights and Watkins will grow for sure.
Old 03-16-19, 09:44 AM
All Region

Bledsoe
I will not be surprised if Granville creeps up into Division 2.
I have seen a couple of housing districts going up between Gale road and S.R. 37 not to mention the housing districts bordering Newark have completely filled in. Do you know if the elementary schools have grown in numbers?
Last year D2 started at 388 Boys
2015 308 Boys
2017 331 Boys
2019 342 Boys
2021 ???
2023 ???
Old 03-16-19, 03:14 PM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
The current freshman class is something like 70% boys, so that is the cause for the bump in 2019, and the corresponding drop for the girls. Historically the elementaries have have relatively small numbers, that then grow to the roughly 200 per class by graduation. This has been very consistent, according to the administration, and they don't see that changing.