Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-30-19, 12:45 PM
PortageCountySports PortageCountySports is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 05-04-15
Posts: 64
PortageCountySports is on a distinguished road
Kent Roosevelt

I figured since this is the most frequented forum on here I would use it to ask my questions. I am not picking on the school district I just truly want to know why they aren’t competitive in most sports, both genders.

So why does Kent Roosevelt struggle so much in most sports? I love the city of Kent. I think it is a cool place. As far as neighborhoods, there are struggling parts and real nice allotments. The school buildings and HS property are nice. Enrollment is solid and they still routinely lose to smaller schools in most sports both genders. They get routinely blown out in girls and boys basketball. Soccer teams both struggle at the D1 level as well. Football struggles in suburban league.

What’s going on ?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 01-30-19, 01:03 PM
shadow1479 shadow1479 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 01-21-17
Location: Tallmadge
Posts: 18
shadow1479 is on a distinguished road
Seems like winning and losing comes in cycles. I love the hire of Coach V. He will turn around the football program very soon. Basketball improvement seems to based on youth leagues on up through middle school. Once that is established winning seasons follow.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-30-19, 01:42 PM
ball 4 ball 4 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 05-12-11
Posts: 220
ball 4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortageCountySports View Post
I figured since this is the most frequented forum on here I would use it to ask my questions. I am not picking on the school district I just truly want to know why they aren’t competitive in most sports, both genders.

So why does Kent Roosevelt struggle so much in most sports? I love the city of Kent. I think it is a cool place. As far as neighborhoods, there are struggling parts and real nice allotments. The school buildings and HS property are nice. Enrollment is solid and they still routinely lose to smaller schools in most sports both genders. They get routinely blown out in girls and boys basketball. Soccer teams both struggle at the D1 level as well. Football struggles in suburban league.

What’s going on ?
Their AD who was AD at Green pushed them into the Suburban League. Kent should have never left the PTC. They can not win in the money sports. The PTC will not take them back.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-30-19, 10:00 PM
Cougarfan22 Cougarfan22 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-27-16
Posts: 961
Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Politics and lost coaches. Kent is a community of the have and have nots. The have’s or educational elite want little Johnny to start and play so the parents can be seen and heard at sporting events and gatherings. They ran off the HOF football coach because they found out how much money he was making and the fact that he bent over backwards to help the have nots. The former BB coach Black was similar in the fact that he could attract and keep those high risk kids that needed extra care. The elite or have’s complained that Johnny couldn’t get on the court.

The elites Have run off most of the talented kids and hired coaches who would make sure that little Johnny was on the field or court. The AD has been complicit and a puppet for the school board and elites. Moving to the suburban league only compounded this problem.


They are competitive in swimming, Bowling and Hockey though.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-31-19, 09:00 AM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 11,669
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
They need a better weightroom.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-31-19, 10:05 AM
Cougarfan22 Cougarfan22 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-27-16
Posts: 961
Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
They need a better weightroom.
That too. Looks like a CrossFit gym.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-31-19, 10:23 AM
CoventryTrackXCguy CoventryTrackXCguy is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-28-15
Location: Coventry, Ohio
Posts: 1,502
CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
Politics and lost coaches. Kent is a community of the have and have nots. The have’s or educational elite want little Johnny to start and play so the parents can be seen and heard at sporting events and gatherings. They ran off the HOF football coach because they found out how much money he was making and the fact that he bent over backwards to help the have nots. The former BB coach Black was similar in the fact that he could attract and keep those high risk kids that needed extra care. The elite or have’s complained that Johnny couldn’t get on the court.

The elites Have run off most of the talented kids and hired coaches who would make sure that little Johnny was on the field or court. The AD has been complicit and a puppet for the school board and elites. Moving to the suburban league only compounded this problem.


They are competitive in swimming, Bowling and Hockey though.
So Black was a good coach for kent. Interesting because it looks like he is now on Coventry's coaching staff, although I fail to understand why he would go from being a head coach to an assistant coach.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-31-19, 10:26 AM
RiderJay RiderJay is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 06-30-13
Posts: 96
RiderJay is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
They ran off the HOF football coach because they found out how much money he was making and the fact that he bent over backwards to help the have nots.
Did Coach Nemec really get run off like that? What a shame after all he did for the program, the school and the community.

As far as the basketball program is concerned, Kent has underachieved in basketball for years, for whatever reason.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-31-19, 11:01 AM
ball 4 ball 4 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 05-12-11
Posts: 220
ball 4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderJay View Post
Did Coach Nemec really get run off like that? What a shame after all he did for the program, the school and the community.

As far as the basketball program is concerned, Kent has underachieved in basketball for years, for whatever reason.
They have been able to compete in baseball in a tough conference that two teams that went to state last year.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-31-19, 11:04 AM
CoventryTrackXCguy CoventryTrackXCguy is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-28-15
Location: Coventry, Ohio
Posts: 1,502
CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
They are also able to compete in track and field, holding their own against the likes of Tallmadge, Copley, Aurora, and Highland. if anything, I think going from PTC to Suburban will help them there. Don't get me wrong, Coventry, Woodridge, Field, Streetsboro, Cloverleaf, can all offer some decent competition in track. But those are all d2 schools. And kent ought to be getting exposure to d1 teams, in preparation for postseason.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-31-19, 12:14 PM
Cougarfan22 Cougarfan22 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-27-16
Posts: 961
Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
So Black was a good coach for kent. Interesting because it looks like he is now on Coventry's coaching staff, although I fail to understand why he would go from being a head coach to an assistant coach.
It’s his son Cameron JR
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-31-19, 12:55 PM
Cougarfan22 Cougarfan22 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-27-16
Posts: 961
Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ball 4 View Post
They have been able to compete in baseball in a tough conference that two teams that went to state last year.
Current coach .540 winning percentage over 17 years of coaching. Majority of which was in the PTC playing against D2 and D3 teams. Underachieved for many years. They have had a lot of talent in the past but coach is very average as his record shows.

Track and field was tops in PTC but now average. Again the track coaches were ran out a few years back for similar reasons previously stated.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-31-19, 02:26 PM
PTC Junky PTC Junky is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 12-09-16
Posts: 82
PTC Junky is on a distinguished road
Any success KR had was against inferior competition PTC. They left due to the number of sports offerings that Suburban schools could offer ie Lacrosse, Swimming, Field Hockey and Hockey. KR has had success in those sports over a number of years. KR does have a strong football tradition dating back to its days in the old Western Reserve but just the realities of changing socioeconomics facing the city. The diversity is what makes it great! But athletically competing against Suburban schools with better facilities, access to outside training, etc they have been left in the dust the past 5 years or so. I hope KR can turn it around, the comments about Coach Black helping high-risk kids; there is something to be said for that. It seems KR has not been patient with their coaches because they expect results like “good old days”. Going back to PTC will not solve their problems and the PTC does not want them back. Solution: toughen up, get better. Whining about it isn’t going to get them better. Be patient with the new young coaches have hired, let them develop a program it will take time but it could be worth it. Changing coaches every 2-3 seasons will never work - look at The Browns.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-31-19, 02:34 PM
Cougarfan22 Cougarfan22 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-27-16
Posts: 961
Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Junky View Post
Any success KR had was against inferior competition PTC. They left due to the number of sports offerings that Suburban schools could offer ie Lacrosse, Swimming, Field Hockey and Hockey. KR has had success in those sports over a number of years. KR does have a strong football tradition dating back to its days in the old Western Reserve but just the realities of changing socioeconomics facing the city. The diversity is what makes it great! But athletically competing against Suburban schools with better facilities, access to outside training, etc they have been left in the dust the past 5 years or so. I hope KR can turn it around, the comments about Coach Black helping high-risk kids; there is something to be said for that. It seems KR has not been patient with their coaches because they expect results like “good old days”. Going back to PTC will not solve their problems and the PTC does not want them back. Solution: toughen up, get better. Whining about it isn’t going to get them better. Be patient with the new young coaches have hired, let them develop a program it will take time but it could be worth it. Changing coaches every 2-3 seasons will never work - look at The Browns.
Well said.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-31-19, 03:47 PM
CoventryTrackXCguy CoventryTrackXCguy is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-28-15
Location: Coventry, Ohio
Posts: 1,502
CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTC Junky View Post
Any success KR had was against inferior competition PTC. They left due to the number of sports offerings that Suburban schools could offer ie Lacrosse, Swimming, Field Hockey and Hockey. KR has had success in those sports over a number of years. KR does have a strong football tradition dating back to its days in the old Western Reserve but just the realities of changing socioeconomics facing the city. The diversity is what makes it great! But athletically competing against Suburban schools with better facilities, access to outside training, etc they have been left in the dust the past 5 years or so. I hope KR can turn it around, the comments about Coach Black helping high-risk kids; there is something to be said for that. It seems KR has not been patient with their coaches because they expect results like “good old days”. Going back to PTC will not solve their problems and the PTC does not want them back. Solution: toughen up, get better. Whining about it isn’t going to get them better. Be patient with the new young coaches have hired, let them develop a program it will take time but it could be worth it. Changing coaches every 2-3 seasons will never work - look at The Browns.
I wouldn't say the ptc is or was an inferior league for track and field. Woodridge is a perennial state powerhouse. Their distance squad is one of the finest in the state of ohio, since their distance squad has the same runners as their cross country team that has won 8 of the last 13 state championships. Then Streetsboro has had some of the finest sprinters in northeast ohio. they regularly place very well at states due to their sprinters alone. Field has been down lately, but the have had a storied distance squad as well. Coventry has come around a little more recently, they had a real nice season in 2016, were down a little since then, but they can recover easily. Cloverleaf has a nice up and coming team as well.

Also, I know I will get some flak for this, but the PTC is actually superior to the Suburban League American in cross country.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-27-19, 05:43 PM
SLAGuy SLAGuy is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-11-17
Posts: 675
SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
Kent Roosevelt is a cliquey community. Rich, poor, black, white, trailer parks and mcmansions. The University dominates the city and the rest scurry to their little comfort zones. They will never come together to be successful across most sports.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-27-19, 07:01 PM
ArmChairCoach ArmChairCoach is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-09-17
Location: Vatican
Posts: 100
ArmChairCoach is on a distinguished road
+1 for everything that has been sId about the Kent “elites” and how cliquey the city is. It is rampant from the elementary system to the high school. Such a shame.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-06-19, 07:26 AM
Cougarfan22 Cougarfan22 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-27-16
Posts: 961
Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Chalk another one up for Kent. Former HOF head coach John Nemic recently tried to return to Kent after his contract was not reviewed with the firing of Bowden at Akron. Only to be told there was no place for him at Kent and that they were moving in a different direction. Big mistake!!
Stow hires him as their new DC I am told. Great move for them. This is indicative of the School administration and Current AD who continue to miss opportunities to right a sinking ship. Coach Nemic could have mentored the young head coach and rejuvenated local support for all programs, not just football.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-06-19, 08:31 AM
Blockbuster78 Blockbuster78 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 292
Blockbuster78 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
Chalk another one up for Kent. Former HOF head coach John Nemic recently tried to return to Kent after his contract was not reviewed with the firing of Bowden at Akron. Only to be told there was no place for him at Kent and that they were moving in a different direction. Big mistake!!
Stow hires him as their new DC I am told. Great move for them. This is indicative of the School administration and Current AD who continue to miss opportunities to right a sinking ship. Coach Nemic could have mentored the young head coach and rejuvenated local support for all programs, not just football.
Wow, if this is true I think Kent messed up. Nemec is one heck of a coach and leader, he could of turned the program in the right direction and groomed the next head coach. That's too bad.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-06-19, 08:39 AM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 11,669
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
From what I am hearing, Stow will need all of the help it can get this year.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-06-19, 01:22 PM
rghrider98 rghrider98 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-28-06
Posts: 906
rghrider98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
From what I am hearing, Stow will need all of the help it can get this year.
What are you hearing about Stow?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-07-19, 09:09 AM
Fan22 Fan22 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 01-25-18
Posts: 27
Fan22 is on a distinguished road
He must be talking to ex-coaches who have moved on to new schools.....who think they can’t be replaced
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-11-19, 11:13 AM
PRICELESS PRICELESS is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 05-12-09
Posts: 383
PRICELESS is on a distinguished road
Priceless takes

Or Fan22 it has to do with a team coming off a 5-5 season while losing 1 D1 and 4 D2 kids. If they didn't win with that talent what will they do with less.

UR
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-11-19, 02:04 PM
BigWorm BigWorm is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-07-12
Posts: 3,723
BigWorm can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
I wouldn't say the ptc is or was an inferior league for track and field. Woodridge is a perennial state powerhouse. Their distance squad is one of the finest in the state of ohio, since their distance squad has the same runners as their cross country team that has won 8 of the last 13 state championships. Then Streetsboro has had some of the finest sprinters in northeast ohio. they regularly place very well at states due to their sprinters alone. Field has been down lately, but the have had a storied distance squad as well. Coventry has come around a little more recently, they had a real nice season in 2016, were down a little since then, but they can recover easily. Cloverleaf has a nice up and coming team as well.

Also, I know I will get some flak for this, but the PTC is actually superior to the Suburban League American in cross country.
It is inferior in any sport that is cared about. It might be the worst overall conference in the state.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-11-19, 03:33 PM
3 Dog Night 3 Dog Night is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 10-27-15
Posts: 88
3 Dog Night is on a distinguished road
Wondering if the TrackXCguy will take the bait?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-11-19, 09:42 PM
pcbuck pcbuck is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-10-11
Posts: 422
pcbuck is on a distinguished road
So far no takers. Hopefully that will continue.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-12-19, 07:39 AM
shadow1479 shadow1479 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 01-21-17
Location: Tallmadge
Posts: 18
shadow1479 is on a distinguished road
Kent got a hell of a coach and just a good man. Sad to see him leave Tallmadge. He will change the culture at least for football. Hopefully this change moves to other sports. #togetherwe
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-12-19, 07:55 AM
fridayfootball fridayfootball is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-15-14
Posts: 110
fridayfootball is on a distinguished road
He's not a good Football coach. He might be a good person .
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-12-19, 11:31 AM
devilsbooster devilsbooster is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 08-10-17
Posts: 1
devilsbooster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fridayfootball View Post
He's not a good Football coach. He might be a good person .
What’s your beef with Vanderink? When it was posted Kent hired him you posted “bad hire” and now you say he’s not a good coach? Obviously there is some personal beef here. Anyone who knows anything about football and saw his Tallmadge teams play know he is a good football coach. And a great person. C’Mon Man.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-12-19, 05:45 PM
CoventryTrackXCguy CoventryTrackXCguy is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-28-15
Location: Coventry, Ohio
Posts: 1,502
CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
It is inferior in any sport that is cared about. It might be the worst overall conference in the state.
Ill take the overall athletic accomplishments of any ptc school in the last decade over a lot of schools. Of course, it helps that I care about all sports.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alan Vanderink leaving Tallmadge for Kent Roosevelt Yappi Tallmadge Blue Devils 3 01-23-19 08:06 AM
Football: Kent Roosevelt falls to Tallmadge in shootout Yappi Tallmadge Blue Devils 0 09-28-18 11:25 PM
Kent Roosevelt coach PostOrPickScore Girls Basketball 7 07-19-18 02:38 AM
Kent Roosevelt Football Coach Resigns rghrider98 Football 26 01-25-18 06:10 PM
Tallmadge 2017 Football Schedules Yappi Tallmadge Blue Devils 24 11-10-17 10:50 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz