Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-05-18, 03:06 PM
All Ohio

COACH_XYZ&12345 is on a distinguished road
West Branch D.J. Dota out as head varsity football coach

Coach Dota finishes his tenure at West Branch after eight seasons, going 38-42. Looks like a few of the West Branch posters on Yappi finally get their wish. I wonder who the several benchmarks West Branch administration claim was the basis to go in a different direction without Dota? Perhap's Alliance recent success with a new head coach, Marlington's Beau Balderson, and of course Louisville, would name a few in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-18, 03:40 PM
All American

Lynus24 is on a distinguished road
Hmmm
Who would have thought you could just decide to go in a new direction?

In all seriousness seems funny that this happens shortly after the new EBC has some of their all to familiar (to Louisville at least) secret meetings about their future. Perhaps Dota wasnít on board with the administration at WB.
Old 12-05-18, 04:31 PM
All District

Alliance1 is on a distinguished road
Curious to see what WB people think of him, he took over a program that was in shambles and brought them back to average. I know their Sophomore class this year was very talented.

Last edited by Alliance1; 12-05-18 at 05:21 PM.
Old 12-05-18, 05:31 PM
All District

Damage450 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynus24 View Post
Hmmm

In all seriousness seems funny that this happens shortly after the new EBC has some of their all to familiar (to Louisville at least) secret meetings about their future. Perhaps Dota wasnít on board with the administration at WB.
Secret meetings?
Old 12-05-18, 05:40 PM
All World

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance1 View Post
Curious to see what WB people think of him, he took over a program that was in shambles and brought them back to average. I know their Sophomore class this year was very talented.
Maybe thatís why theyíre bringing someone new in to try and make a run with that class, that would be my guess. Any names popping up?
Old 12-05-18, 06:16 PM
Varsity

therock02 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alliance1 View Post
Back to average....yep, just about sums it up. If only being slightly below average was good enough.
Old 12-05-18, 11:11 PM
All Ohio

http://www.the-review.com/sports/201...to-retain-dota
Old 12-05-18, 11:17 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynus24 View Post
Hmmm

In all seriousness seems funny that this happens shortly after the new EBC has some of their all to familiar (to Louisville at least) secret meetings about their future. Perhaps Dota wasn’t on board with the administration at WB.
Originally replied to your post, deleted, since I saw this article on Alliance Review providing an explanation from WB's Superintendent on Dota. Perhaps Louisville's Sup can take notes here?
Old 12-05-18, 11:21 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Elite View Post
Maybe thatís why theyíre bringing someone new in to try and make a run with that class, that would be my guess. Any names popping up?
Maybe a Louisville assistant will jump ship, similar to Miley over a decade ago. John Demarco's days are numbered, could see one of his assistants, applying for the opening, looking out for their future. Wild guess, but never know.
Old 12-05-18, 11:48 PM
All Region

warrior333 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Maybe that’s why they’re bringing someone new in to try and make a run with that class, that would be my guess. Any names popping up?
Gathering intel on the real story I’ll post it all once completed
Looking like Dota and the players got screwed .
Sophomore class is gifted but consist of 4 highly talented open enrolled kids originally all from United who are Dota supporters. Making any run without those 4 kids will be very difficult.
Also read a post that starting Qb Hillyer and Wr McKeiver requested there transcripts today after the announcement. Some coach will be smiling in the next few weeks. Very disheartening

Last edited by warrior333; 12-06-18 at 12:03 AM. Reason: ..
Old 12-06-18, 02:16 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior333 View Post
Gathering intel on the real story Iíll post it all once completed
Sophomore class is gifted but consist of 4 highly talented open enrolled kids originally all from United who are Dota supporters. Making any run without those 4 kids will be very difficult.
Also read a post that starting Qb Hillyer and Wr McKeiver requested there transcripts today after the announcement. Some coach will be smiling in the next few weeks. Very disheartening
Good news for my cats early next season. Hopefully they bring someone on that can right the ship
Old 12-06-18, 10:09 AM
All Region

Quote:
Good news for my cats early next season. Hopefully they bring someone on that can right the ship
It most defiantly will. Count week 2 as a win .
This shoot from the hip mentality at WB is unreal .
The future is looking bleak . Wb after having their levy defeated has eliminated school bus transportation and went to a pay to play program and now firing their head coach which also has led to 4 more coaching staff stepping down due to loyalty and the way this back room deal all took place . All of which will hurt sports enrollment . Wb may just turn into the next lionís program .
Old 12-06-18, 10:17 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
It most defiantly will. Count week 2 as a win .
This shoot from the hip mentality at WB is unreal .
The future is looking bleak . Wb after having their levy defeated has eliminated school bus transportation and went to a pay to play program and now firing their head coach which also has led to 4 more coaching staff stepping down due to loyalty and the way this back room deal all took place . All of which will hurt sports enrollment . Wb may just turn into the next lionís program .
Perhaps Karma is catching up to WB for their ring leading involvement with kicking Louisville out of the NBC.
Old 12-06-18, 10:23 AM
All Ohio

Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Gathering intel on the real story Iíll post it all once completed
Mckeiver can fly. DJ is a good guy, he will land somewhere. A lot of these places make these move and think the grass will be greener only to find out otherwise. I thought WB was getting ready to turn the corner somewhat. Now looks like they may have to start from ground zero.
Old 12-06-18, 12:00 PM
All Region

NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
This was surprising from an outsiders perspective. I think WB won the games that they were supposed win and lost to more athletic teams this season. Seems to me like they are always disciplined and played good hard football. WB has a proud tradition and this could prove to be a good move, only time will tell. Minerva though we made a good move a few years back - hopefully this works out better for WB!!
Old 12-06-18, 01:03 PM
All Region

guyinahoodie is on a distinguished road
What's the trend with coaches being let go after winning seasons? Someone said it best in an earlier post, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.
Old 12-06-18, 02:36 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyinahoodie View Post
What's the trend with coaches being let go after winning seasons? Someone said it best in an earlier post, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.
I agree 100%!! I heard they may hire and old WB name. That's not always the best recipe for success..
Old 12-06-18, 03:56 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC 1988 View Post
I agree 100%!! I heard they may hire and old WB name. That's not always the best recipe for success..
Justin Buttermore (c/o 93) wouldn't leave Granville after a year, would he? I mean he and his wife are both from WB.
Old 12-06-18, 04:03 PM
All World

Man do I hate when they make kids pay to play, that’s just awful
Old 12-06-18, 08:08 PM
All Ohio

1_wbwarriors is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
Justin Buttermore (c/o 93) wouldn't leave Granville after a year, would he? I mean he and his wife are both from WB.

This would be the absolute best hire without a doubt. However I donít think he will leave Granville after just 1 season and taking them to there first playoff appearance and win.. I was kinda shocked by the firing as well. The kids (from what I have read on social media) seem to have love dota and respected him for his on and off the field contributions to there life.... it will be quite interesting to see what happens next. Hope itís the right move for my beloved Branch... things have been goin south for them here lately!!

Go Green!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-18, 01:47 AM
All World

Would kids really jump ship because of a coach at a medium sized public school tho? That’s crazy to think
Old 12-07-18, 03:35 PM
All District

Alliance1 is on a distinguished road
Seems like DJ was loved by his players. Many social media rants by the former and current players on social media about this decision. Wish DJ the best
Old 12-08-18, 09:06 PM
All Ohio

1_wbwarriors is on a distinguished road
Who would be possible candidates for the job? Anyone hearing any names? Will they hire inside to save the district money since they levy has failed? If we go outside who are some names people would like to see?

Old 12-13-18, 09:47 AM
All Region

Quote:
Gathering intel on the real story I’ll post it all once completed
I like West Branch and I don't know Dota. But I think you WB folks need to relax and see who Dota's replacement will be. From an outsider's perspective I think WB underachieved during Dota's tenure so this move was not a shock to many of us on the outside looking in.

Hillyer can transfer and may not be a QB at whatever school he goes to. He may want to stay at WB if he wants to be a QB.. I AM NOT SLAMMING THE KID - I THINK HE IS A GOOD PLAYER! He looked pretty good the 3 times I saw WB play but nothing spectacular. I don't think he would have started at Alliance, Marlington or Salem. If Minerva puts the right kid at QB it would be a challenge for him to start there too. Could he have been better had they let him throw a little more? I would say yes. I think West Branch is a really good fit for Hillyer and leaving would be a big mistake. He would help any program but maybe not as a QB.

McKeiver is the real thing. that kid can fly and perhaps he was way under utilized by Dota and his staff? He probably could have had some big numbers had they turned him loose.

So if I were Hillyer and McKeiver I would be excited for the change. Those 2 can probably be a pretty good combo in the next 2 years.

It seems like Dota was well liked by his players and it's hard to lose a guy like that, but I have a feeling WB will be ok..

Last edited by NBC 1988; 12-13-18 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-13-18, 02:20 PM
All Region

Interesting points. Everyone is entitled to there opinions . Be it spot on or simply ridiculous as they may be. Lord knows I’ve ate crow many of times. Both young men are standout athletes as sophomore and always have been growing up ,but this is a team sport and I don't care how good any one kid may think he is it takes 11 players and there success has been a direct result of there teammates.
Old 12-13-18, 04:51 PM
All District

MINFAN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Interesting points. Everyone is entitled to there opinions . Be it spot on or simply ridiculous as they may be. Lord knows Iíve ate crow many of times. Both young men are standout athletes as sophomore and always have been growing up ,but this is a team sport and I don't care how good any one kid may think he is it takes 11 players and there success has been a direct result of there teammates.

Good post- itís a team sport- I hope wb finds a coach that can take you to the next level. Itís going to be interesting- another post said that DeMarco is out at Louisville too.? 4 local teams in search of a coach if that post is true.

Old 12-14-18, 10:18 AM
All Region

Quote:
Interesting points. Everyone is entitled to there opinions . Be it spot on or simply ridiculous as they may be. Lord knows Iíve ate crow many of times. Both young men are standout athletes as sophomore and always have been growing up ,but this is a team sport and I don't care how good any one kid may think he is it takes 11 players and there success has been a direct result of there teammates.
Please don't take it as questioning the kids talents. Both mentioned have the potential to be very good football players. I think they should just stay put and help lead WB back to a playoff team but that's up to the families.

It's awesome that Dota has some of the players' (and parents) respect. But he started there in 2011 and has not led WB to the playoffs. Even the 1 year WB won the NBC they were sitting home in week 11. 5 other teams in the NBC/EBC reached the playoffs for a total of 13 times, and West Branch isn't one of them. I know West Branch fans have a lot of pride and to have zero play off births and a losing record (38-42) during his 8 year stint certainly doesn't seem to meet WB standards. This move is not shocking for those on the outside looking in..
Old 12-14-18, 10:33 AM
All District

West Branch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH_XYZ&12345 View Post
Perhaps Karma is catching up to WB for their ring leading involvement with kicking Louisville out of the NBC.
Not karma, just some backdoor dealings between WB's superintendent and a high ranking certified employee who will remain nameless but most likely will be named WB's next HC. IMHO

Stay Tuned
Old 12-14-18, 10:50 AM
All American

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
WB is D3 in football and I am not bashing other programs but the EBC has 4 D4 schools that aren't winning many games for L2 points. 2 of their OOC games were vs D4 schools and one OOC vs a D5 and one OOC vs a D3

What does this tell me? One thing is that they are not playing "up" in any week meaning a D1 or 2 school and have only 3 D3 games

IF a school is going to have the majority of games on a schedule with schools that are in a lower division then they better beat them and then those teams have to win games.

This follows the rhetoric about their league decision that was discussed before which was what do the EBC D3 schools gain by stepping away from another D3?
Old 12-14-18, 11:19 AM
All World

joesports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post
WB is D3 in football and I am not bashing other programs but the EBC has 4 D4 schools that aren't winning many games for L2 points. 2 of their OOC games were vs D4 schools and one OOC vs a D5 and one OOC vs a D3

What does this tell me? One thing is that they are not playing "up" in any week meaning a D1 or 2 school and have only 3 D3 games

IF a school is going to have the majority of games on a schedule with schools that are in a lower division then they better beat them and then those teams have to win games.

This follows the rhetoric about their league decision that was discussed before which was what do the EBC D3 schools gain by stepping away from another D3?
Wasn't WB a D4 school last year ... maybe the year before?