Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-06-19, 09:29 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan View Post
If there is an odd number of teams, one team has to play a non conference game every week. Those can be tough to schedule late in the season.

The league (and indeed, most leagues) wants an even number of football playing schools.
That is indeed true.

A little history lesson for the NON Macsters in here.

In 2001 Versailles was added to the league and that put them at 9 league games. It got increasingly tough to find an OOC the later the season went and often times they would play similar NC games like Lehman or whatever.

To alleviate the situation the MAC added Anna in 2006 leaving the conference with just a dreaded SINGLE OOC game.

2007 ONLY 2 MAC teams made the playoffs, leaving out the likes of Parkway at 8-2 and Anna at 7-3. The rockets generally would have lost week 11, but I would have liked to seen what Parkway could have done.

The league quickly acted and the rotating schedule started in 2008.
Old 03-06-19, 09:57 AM
All Yappi

There is someone on here, a MACster, who has said repeatedly he doesn't like the rotating and that it is/was not needed, but I forgot who that is.

I thought it was genius and something I think the WBL should do but when I bring it up to one of their AD'S he scoffs at it.

Since I am numbers guy, I looked at the modern era of the league (2000-present) to see what is the magic number of MAC wins it takes to get into the postseason.

Obviously 8-9 wins gets you in so I looked at 4-7 league wins.

When the league played 9 league games (2006 and 2007) : I understand it is a small sample.

*7 MAC wins = 50% chance at making the playoffs. (1-1)
*6 MAC wins = 0%, (0-1)
*5 MAC wins = 0% (0-3)
*4 MAC wins = 0% (0-2)

WHEN THE LEAGUE PLAYS 8 LEAGUE GAMES (7 in 2000):
*7 MAC wins = 100% (18-0)
*6 MAC wins = 94% (16-1) -Minster lost both OOC games.
*5 MAC wins = 89% (16-2)
*4 MAC wins = 25% (6-18).

Last edited by thavoice; 03-06-19 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-06-19, 08:00 PM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Bottom line guys, Fort Loramie or whoever else wont be added unless someone leaves. I think it was Stirred that bought up Leipsic and Pandora-Gilboa and the fact that they are joint members of the BVC and PCL. That seems like an interesting idea for the Shelby County Football schools especially Anna. If Anna became a joint member of both leagues for all sports, I'd think that'd satisfy the people who complain about Anna being in for football only. Thoughts?
Old 03-06-19, 08:19 PM
All District

IndianaBanana is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
Bottom line guys, Fort Loramie or whoever else wont be added unless someone leaves. I think it was Stirred that bought up Leipsic and Pandora-Gilboa and the fact that they are joint members of the BVC and PCL. That seems like an interesting idea for the Shelby County Football schools especially Anna. If Anna became a joint member of both leagues for all sports, I'd think that'd satisfy the people who complain about Anna being in for football only. Thoughts?
I don't think the people complaining would go for that either. They're probably thinking all in or all out.

I'm not an Anna complainer, but I wouldn't like that hypothetical option either. No fence sitters.

Old 03-16-19, 02:43 AM
All American

Checking EagleFan's Schedule threads and Arbiter, I saw that Marion Local has filled their week 2 vacancy with Columbus Bishop Watterson @ Ohio Dominican.
Old 03-16-19, 03:32 AM
All District

BigPSH is on a distinguished road
Since I haven't been on I awhile I guess I'll throw my two cents in from a SH fan perspective.

I would love to add FL in all sports and kick out Anna in football.

SH will never have wrestling lol

I'm not sure why there is such a disparity in the male/female ratio in SH, and no we could never find dates lol.
Old 03-16-19, 09:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Checking EagleFan's Schedule threads and Arbiter, I saw that Marion Local has filled their week 2 vacancy with Columbus Bishop Watterson @ Ohio Dominican.
Flyers will get thumped in that one. They best just hope they come out of that game healthy.
Old 03-16-19, 09:19 PM
Freshman

bobcat44 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Flyers will get thumped in that one. They best just hope they come out of that game healthy.
Flyers will get thumped!? lol thavoice you are cute
Old 03-16-19, 10:42 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat44 View Post
Flyers will get thumped!? lol thavoice you are cute
MSML loses too much and this is not a good matchup.

Flyers lose this one. Book it
Old 03-17-19, 11:53 AM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Agree. I would not be surprised if the Flyers finish below 500.
Old 03-17-19, 11:54 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPSH View Post
Since I haven't been on I awhile I guess I'll throw my two cents in from a SH fan perspective.

I'm not sure why there is such a disparity in the male/female ratio in SH, and no we could never find dates lol.
Agree.
Old 03-19-19, 08:21 AM
All Region

ReadyKnightsFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Watterson plays a tough schedule but their win total is as follows the past six seasons:

2 wins: 2017 (missed playoffs), 2014 (missed playoffs)
3 wins: 2016 (missed playoffs), 2013 (missed playoffs)
5 wins: 2018 (missed playoffs), 2015 (made playoffs)

Anyone counting Marion Local out does so at their own risk. Watterson scheduled Wheelersburg the past two seasons and was manhandled by them. I think ML absolutely has a punchers chance
Old 03-19-19, 10:53 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyKnightsFan View Post
Watterson plays a tough schedule but their win total is as follows the past six seasons:

2 wins: 2017 (missed playoffs), 2014 (missed playoffs)
3 wins: 2016 (missed playoffs), 2013 (missed playoffs)
5 wins: 2018 (missed playoffs), 2015 (made playoffs)

Anyone counting Marion Local out does so at their own risk. Watterson scheduled Wheelersburg the past two seasons and was manhandled by them. I think ML absolutely has a punchers chance
I think that it'll be a competitive ball game. Does Watterson play all their games at ODU or just this game?
Old 03-19-19, 11:56 AM
All Region

ReadyKnightsFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think that it'll be a competitive ball game. Does Watterson play all their games at ODU or just this game?
Watterson typically calls Hagley Field home. Field is about 100 years old and has seen better days. Its better this game will be at ODU.
Old 03-20-19, 01:24 PM
All District

Basement Bias is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPSH View Post

I've heard this one before and now those programs have wrestling. You may be right, but things can and do change.
Old 03-20-19, 05:17 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Bias View Post
I've heard this one before and now those programs have wrestling. You may be right, but things can and do change.
Better chance of snow in hell than wrestling as a sport in SH.
Old 03-20-19, 05:42 PM
All District

Quote:
Not with St Henry they don't. Probably the most rigid of the MAC schools/communities.
Old 03-20-19, 07:37 PM
Junior Varsity

BelowTheLine is on a distinguished road
Just out of curiosity which school would MACsters say has the best overall athletic department? I know Minster has the most state titles but many of their titles come in the less glamorous sports like cross country. Do those carry the same weight as Marion Local's football titles or they kind of brushed aside?
Old 03-20-19, 10:57 PM
All Ohio

Rangerfan is on a distinguished road
Minster and Coldwater each have titles in six different sports (as does Versailles when you count their pre-MAC baseball title).

Weight of titles is tough to gauge. Minster has 25 of their 36 in girls' track and cross country, which some do not value as much as others. I personally am impressed with the girls earning titles in each of the last five sports seasons.

Coldwater has 7 of their 24 in bowling, which I am sure has its detractors as a real sport. However, titles in 6 different sports in all.

St. Henry has 20 titles in 4 sports, with the plurality being in volleyball.

Marion Local has 19 titles in 4 sports, but only 9 outside of football.

Fort Recovery may have the greatest depth, with 6 total titles in 5 different sports.

Depends on your personal preference, I guess.
Old 03-21-19, 05:35 AM
All District

Basement Bias is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Better chance of snow in hell than wrestling as a sport in SH.
I felt that way about Crestview, but they're now adding it. Feel like it's to get the new sports complex though. It does snow in hell Michigan though

It usually helps the football program tremendously if you have the right people involved. Maybe they should look into it to get back on the level of ML & Coldwater. I mean FR has a more recent title. That can't sit well with the SH folks.
Old 03-21-19, 06:53 PM
All District

Quote:
I felt that way about Crestview, but they're now adding it. Feel like it's to get the new sports complex though. It does snow in hell Michigan though

It usually helps the football program tremendously if you have the right people involved. Maybe they should look into it to get back on the level of ML & Coldwater. I mean FR has a more recent title. That can't sit well with the SH folks.
Honestly, wrestling might have a better chance of sticking in Fort Recovery, Marion, and or New Bremen.
There was a 2014 grad who wrestled with Coldwater but would compete as an Indian (oddly enough, there was an FR girl who did the same thing in the 80s, but played Tennis). Jay County was also putting youth wrestling clinic feelers in FR, so who knows.
Marion Local has huge participation numbers in almost every activity they offer. Even though, they're not very good, the Flyers consistently have the biggest swim team.
As for New Bremen, the student enrollment is smaller, but they just seem like that school that would try something new.
Old 03-21-19, 07:08 PM
All World

Quote:

ML does not have wrestling and I don't think the addition of wrestling would make a difference at all to the Flyers football program. Before Goodwin many ML fans wanted a program like SH, I don't think wrestling just like pee wee football makes any difference, once again it is all about coaching and a little talent.
Old 03-21-19, 07:10 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaBanana View Post
Honestly, wrestling might have a better chance of sticking in Fort Recovery, Marion, and or New Bremen.
There was a 2014 grad who wrestled with Coldwater but would compete as an Indian (oddly enough, there was an FR girl who did the same thing in the 80s, but played Tennis). Jay County was also putting youth wrestling clinic feelers in FR, so who knows.
Marion Local has huge participation numbers in almost every activity they offer. Even though, they're not very good, the Flyers consistently have the biggest swim team.
As for New Bremen, the student enrollment is smaller, but they just seem like that school that would try something new.
Flyers like SH will never have wrestling.
Old 03-21-19, 07:20 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
Flyers like SH will never have wrestling.
I would also be on your betting side. I'm just saying out of all the non-wrestling MAC schools, they'd be one of my stabs... behind FR and NB. And even their chances are like 8% at highest.
Old 03-21-19, 07:34 PM
All World

bigkat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelowTheLine View Post
Just out of curiosity which school would MACsters say has the best overall athletic department? I know Minster has the most state titles but many of their titles come in the less glamorous sports like cross country. Do those carry the same weight as Marion Local's football titles or they kind of brushed aside?
I think in the last 5-10 years Minster has to be the favorites on how they have competed in ALL sports despite being one of the smaller enrollments of the MAC.
Old 03-21-19, 08:20 PM
All District

WJ-OSU-STEELERS is on a distinguished road
Why is there no interest in wrestling at so many MAC schools?
Old 03-21-19, 10:50 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ-OSU-STEELERS View Post
Why is there no interest in wrestling at so many MAC schools?
With all the success the MAC has had in most sports, it doesn't want to rock the boat, and will always preach the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mantra. The smaller schools (excluding DSJ) don't want to jeopardize potential basketball players being pulled to another sport. Theoretically weakening the strength of the conference.

It's the same reason soccer is nowhere to be found outside of NK and a few girls teams. Can't risk that star athlete not playing football.