Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-14-19, 12:11 PM
All American

BTrev is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
Hey, another 'Mooney guy'.

Always good to see the likes of YTOWN popping by.
YTOWN is the man! A class act all the way.
Old 03-14-19, 03:06 PM
All Ohio

Scipio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTrev View Post
YTOWN is the man! A class act all the way.
I wouldn't go that far. The guy has been stealing info from me for 20 years.
Old 03-14-19, 04:58 PM
All Ohio

YTOWN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
I wouldn't go that far. The guy has been stealing info from me for 20 years.
This is true. I picked his brain to learn everything he knew. Took 10.5 seconds. Same as his 40 time back in his playing days!
Old 03-14-19, 07:12 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by YTOWN View Post
This is true. I picked his brain to learn everything he knew. Took 10.5 seconds. Same as his 40 time back in his playing days!
Hurtful!
Old 03-14-19, 09:16 PM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Ytown was correct.

I wonder what took Lakeview and the cats from playing for so long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-19, 02:07 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
Ytown was correct.

I wonder what took Lakeview and the cats from playing for so long

So 6-8, including the 2013 playoff game and the old Cortland games.

Good question.
Only a couple open dates to fill per year... especially during the MVC, MAC, and SVC eras.
The MVC in its heyday was Campbell, Warren JFK, Girard, Salem, Poland, and Canfield. Throw in the Hubbard game and 1 or 2 teams from the Youngstown City Series and that was pretty much a full slate.
The MAC was Salem, Girard (until 2000 when they joined the TAC), Poland, Canfield, Niles, Howland... East Liverpool, Alliance, Campbell all had short stints in the MAC near the end of its life cycle too. And between Hubbard, Liberty, Campbell, Warren JFK, and the City Series schools, we didn't have a hard time finding games.
Prior to the MVC and MAC, Struthers was in the Steel Valley Conference and also had ongoing series with a lot of YCS schools. Probably didn't have much interest in Lakeview/Cortland.

That covers the last 70 years... but I couldn't tell you why we only played Cortland twice prior to 1949.
With a few exceptions, we've rarely crossed paths with any TAC 8 schools. We never played Liberty until 1998. First meeting with Lakeview was in 2008. I think we've only played LaBrae a few times, in 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011. I don't think we've ever played Newton Falls or Champion.
Old 03-15-19, 04:11 AM
All Yappi

Quote:

Good question.

Only a couple open dates to fill per year... especially during the MVC, MAC, and SVC eras.

The MVC in its heyday was Campbell, Warren JFK, Girard, Salem, Poland, and Canfield. Throw in the Hubbard game and 1 or 2 teams from the Youngstown City Series and that was pretty much a full slate.

The MAC was Salem, Girard (until 2000 when they joined the TAC), Poland, Canfield, Niles, Howland... East Liverpool, Alliance, Campbell all had short stints in the MAC near the end of its life cycle too. And between Hubbard, Liberty, Campbell, Warren JFK, and the City Series schools, we didn't have a hard time finding games.

Prior to the MVC and MAC, Struthers was in the Steel Valley Conference and also had ongoing series with a lot of YCS schools. Probably didn't have much interest in Lakeview/Cortland.

That covers the last 70 years... but I couldn't tell you why we only played Cortland twice prior to 1949.

With a few exceptions, we've rarely crossed paths with any TAC 8 schools. We never played Liberty until 1998. First meeting with Lakeview was in 2008. I think we've only played LaBrae a few times, in 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011. I don't think we've ever played Newton Falls or Champion.

Yeah weíll never play Falls or champion now haha

Old 03-15-19, 08:21 AM
All Ohio

Quote:

Good question.

The Cats actually did play Newton Falls twice, split 2 games. I want to say the games were played in 1937 & 44. Newton Falls played Ursuline three times around that same time frame, mid-30s. They won all three of them too. Of course Ursuline just started playing in 32.

If I remember correctly several of those smaller Trumbull County schools either didn't play football back in the day or dropped it during WWII and didn't pick it back up until many years later. I may be wrong about that but I seem to remember reading it somewhere.

Speaking of reading did you guys see the Vindy article today about East's D3 defending state champion rugby team? Did you know that was the 1st state championship by a City team since Chaney won the boys basketball championship in 1985? Did you know that Chaney did that? I'll bet that came as a huge surprise to them and to the 85 Rayen team that actually won that title.

Where do they find these writers and where is the Editor? A little sloppy and unprofessional IMO. One look at it and they should have known it was incorrect.
Old 03-15-19, 12:18 PM
All World

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
I would have put money on it was eaten instead of Chaney in terms of hoops, eaten used to be loaded back then. The rugby state title was a good read last year
Old 03-15-19, 02:48 PM
All American

Quote:
The Cats actually did play Newton Falls twice, split 2 games. I want to say the games were played in 1937 & 44. Newton Falls played Ursuline three times around that same time frame, mid-30s. They won all three of them too. Of course Ursuline just started playing in 32.

If I remember correctly several of those smaller Trumbull County schools either didn't play football back in the day or dropped it during WWII and didn't pick it back up until many years later. I may be wrong about that but I seem to remember reading it somewhere.

Speaking of reading did you guys see the Vindy article today about East's D3 defending state champion rugby team? Did you know that was the 1st state championship by a City team since Chaney won the boys basketball championship in 1985? Did you know that Chaney did that? I'll bet that came as a huge surprise to them and to the 85 Rayen team that actually won that title.

Where do they find these writers and where is the Editor? A little sloppy and unprofessional IMO. One look at it and they should have known it was incorrect.
http://www.tribtoday.com/sports/high...ool-athletics/
Here's an article from the Tribune that I found last night that said Liberty didn't start playing football until the 60's. Same with Warren JFK, Howland, Champion, and LaBrae (Leavittsburg at the time).
All but JFK were in the Trumbull AA League, which would later become the Trumbull Athletic Conference... which became the TAC 8. I didn't realize Badger was in that conference until 2003 (except for football). I just remember the TAC 8 being Hubbard, Liberty, Girard, Lakeview, LaBrae, Champion, Newton Falls, and Brookfield.
The only schools there that Struthers has any real history with are of course Hubbard and Girard... and to a lesser extent, Brookfield.
I don't know how or why the Hubbard game became an annual tradition... but aside from the time we were both in the SVC, we were never really in the same conference. Until the AAC 2.0, and now the NE8.
I don't know that Struthers has ever played Girard when we weren't in the same conference... if so, it's been a long time. We've just been in the same conference as them for the majority of the last 70 or so years. SVC, MVC, MAC... now the NE8.
Not as much history with Brookfield... but they were in the SVC during one of its peaks... and we've also had a few nonconference series with them over the years.

Hard to imagine Boardman ever being in the TCL... things must have been a lot different, especially prior to World War 2.

I also didn't know that Mooney and Ursuline were in the YCS prior to joining the SVC in 1970. That makes sense, though.

Its crazy how many city schools there used to be, compared to now. At one point... North, East, South, Chaney, Rayen, and Wilson were all open at the same time. North and South were the first schools to close. East was closed for a while, then came back when Rayen and Wilson merged. And Chaney went a good 7 years without any sports. So for 7 years, East was the only Youngstown public school that had sports.
Chaney being back is good for the area.
Old 03-15-19, 03:13 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
http://www.tribtoday.com/sports/high...ool-athletics/
Here's an article from the Tribune that I found last night that said Liberty didn't start playing football until the 60's. Same with Warren JFK, Howland, Champion, and LaBrae (Leavittsburg at the time).
All but JFK were in the Trumbull AA League, which would later become the Trumbull Athletic Conference... which became the TAC 8. I didn't realize Badger was in that conference until 2003 (except for football). I just remember the TAC 8 being Hubbard, Liberty, Girard, Lakeview, LaBrae, Champion, Newton Falls, and Brookfield.
The only schools there that Struthers has any real history with are of course Hubbard and Girard... and to a lesser extent, Brookfield.
I don't know how or why the Hubbard game became an annual tradition... but aside from the time we were both in the SVC, we were never really in the same conference. Until the AAC 2.0, and now the NE8.
I don't know that Struthers has ever played Girard when we weren't in the same conference... if so, it's been a long time. We've just been in the same conference as them for the majority of the last 70 or so years. SVC, MVC, MAC... now the NE8.
Not as much history with Brookfield... but they were in the SVC during one of its peaks... and we've also had a few nonconference series with them over the years.

Hard to imagine Boardman ever being in the TCL... things must have been a lot different, especially prior to World War 2.

I also didn't know that Mooney and Ursuline were in the YCS prior to joining the SVC in 1970. That makes sense, though.

Its crazy how many city schools there used to be, compared to now. North, South, Rayen, Wilson... East was closed for a while, and Chaney went a good 7 years without any sports. So for 7 years, East was the only Youngstown public school that had sports.
Chaney being back is good for the area.
I could never find a game write-up but I did see a Chaney-Liberty score in the 1926 season, first year for Chaney. It's also listed in Mr. Janecko's book on Chaney but again no write-up.

Same for Leavittsburg. As a matter of fact Struthers played Leavittsburg once in the 1920s. Warren JFK didn't open until 64 I think. Warren St. Mary preceeded JFK. A few of those schools played way back in the day, dropped football and brought it back in the 60s, some didn't play until then.

I think Liberty came back in 66.
Old 03-15-19, 04:21 PM
All American

Quote:
I could never find a game write-up but I did see a Chaney-Liberty score in the 1926 season, first year for Chaney. It's also listed in Mr. Janecko's book on Chaney but again no write-up.

Same for Leavittsburg. As a matter of fact Struthers played Leavittsburg once in the 1920s. Warren JFK didn't open until 64 I think. Warren St. Mary preceeded JFK. A few of those schools played way back in the day, dropped football and brought it back in the 60s, some didn't play until then.

I think Liberty came back in 66.
Interesting.
Old 03-15-19, 07:16 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

Genuine question. Do you remember all of this or have you studied all of Mr. Janekos books?
I have never seen a book outside of the Struthers one I own but on the back cover he has a few books heís done. Campbell and Ursuline I believe I remember seeing.

Old 03-16-19, 08:22 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
Genuine question. Do you remember all of this or have you studied all of Mr. Janekos books?
I have never seen a book outside of the Struthers one I own but on the back cover he has a few books heís done. Campbell and Ursuline I believe I remember seeing.

At one time I had what used to be called a "photographic memory." The years are starting to run together on me a little bit however.

I helped Mr. Janecko with all of his books starting with Chaney, which came before the Struthers book. I had done extensive research on the City Series and had all the All-City teams, results of every game played by all of the schools every year, etc. I later added most of the SVC teams results, including Struthers so I had a lot of the info he needed.

The original Struthers book before publishing was missing a few games that I had the Cats playing against City teams. For example the first game ever played in Rayen Stadium was Rayen vs. Struthers in 1924. The Tigers had won 16 in a row coming into that game. They finally had a stadium of their own to play in so you just know what happened. The Cats beat them and then South beat them there the next week to close out the season. The Tigers were 0-2 in their new stadium. For some reason he didn't have that result.

His 1st book was on the Campbell-Youngstown East rivalry. I think Chaney was next. Then Struthers, Ursuline, Fitch and Wilson. He also added another Campbell book that picked up where the first book stopped after the 1967 season.
Old 03-16-19, 09:19 AM
All Ohio

Anyone who has spent time with Ytown will confirm his photographic memory. He can move in and out of a football conversation with incredible detail and interesting anecdotes.
Old 03-16-19, 10:09 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Interesting.
https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...rontpage&hl=en

BTrev,

The above is a link to the short Vindy game write-up of the Campbell-Liberty game in 1926. It's on page 15 near the bottom.
Old 03-16-19, 11:19 AM
All District

Hilltopper1 is on a distinguished road
I believe Janecko did the East Campbell book first because that was the biggest rivalry for Campbell people in his day. YTOWN, in 50 or 51 wasn't there a big brawl in one of those games and a last second punt block to win it for Campbell by John Martinko? Those would've been Bucci's East teams if I'm correct.
Old 03-16-19, 12:44 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilltopper1 View Post
I believe Janecko did the East Campbell book first because that was the biggest rivalry for Campbell people in his day. YTOWN, in 50 or 51 wasn't there a big brawl in one of those games and a last second punt block to win it for Campbell by John Martinko? Those would've been Bucci's East teams if I'm correct.
It was 1950. Campbell dominated the first half and led 12-0 at the half. Led by QB Don Bucci and RB Don Commings East rallied to take a 14-12 lead late in the game. With about 2:00 left East was forced to punt. There was a low snap and Campbell's John Martinko blocked the punt. The Devils recovered at about the East 30 and on the next play QB Lee Bobo went back to pass didn't find a receiver and ran to the East 3-yard line. The Bears' D tightened but 3 plays later Campbell scored to win 18-14.

I think one of the reasons it was such a big rivalry, aside from the geographic location of the schools, is that of course East coach Dick Barrett was the HC at Campbell from 1927-1934 and then went to East. John Knapick followed Barrett as HC at Campbell.

Both teams came into the game with one loss. East to Erie Cathedral Prep, 13-6 and Campbell to Warren Harding, 19-13. East was the defending City Series champion and 1950 was the first year of football competition in the Steel Valley Conference. Campbell won that first SVC title and East repeated as outright City Series champs. That would not be done again in the City until the Mooney teams of 1961 & 62 turned the trick coached by Dick Barrett's son Denny and former East QB Don Bucci as AD, a position the Don still holds 58 years later. The entire Mooney coaching staff, other than Denny Barrett, those two seasons were East grads.
Old 03-16-19, 06:38 PM
Freshman

Clawsport is on a distinguished road
The typical behind the scene processes are happening. Turf will be down at the end of summer.
Old 03-16-19, 06:39 PM
Freshman

Clawsport is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Did anyone ever get a hard yes or no on turf this year?
Yes
Old 03-16-19, 07:12 PM
All District

ComoCat is on a distinguished road
Any truth to rumor we're getting transfers from Ursuline? Guess they're trying to find a way to move in
Old 03-16-19, 07:46 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComoCat View Post
Any truth to rumor we're getting transfers from Ursuline? Guess they're trying to find a way to move in

Shhhhhhhhhhh

Old 03-16-19, 08:15 PM
All Yappi

But really I havenít heard that one yet but that stuff is tossed around every year. Donít expect any transfers.

Old 03-16-19, 10:47 PM
All World

I would expect kids leaving for ursuline then staying with us. Their coaches flock our 8th grade games every year
Old 03-17-19, 04:54 PM
All District

ComoCat is on a distinguished road
Two big boys. Parents have the money to move into an apartment. Reardon told them they ain't playing over younger guys with equal abilities.
Old 03-17-19, 05:51 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComoCat View Post
Two big boys. Parents have the money to move into an apartment. Reardon told them they ain't playing over younger guys with equal abilities.

They ainít playin here then lol unless they are rotational d linemen.

Old 03-17-19, 07:20 PM
All World

Would help not have as many kids going both ways
Old 03-17-19, 07:28 PM
All Yappi

Heard news the football teams donít have anywhere to practice due to the construction. Both middle and high school programs with no where to practice. Unreal. Kudos admin. Maybe if the field was done early summer this wouldnít be an issue.

Old 03-17-19, 09:21 PM
All World

Big question in wildcat country
Old 03-18-19, 09:04 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
Anyone who has spent time with Ytown will confirm his photographic memory. He can move in and out of a football conversation with incredible detail and interesting anecdotes.
Without a doubt.

Nothing like a yarn spun by YTOWN.

As far as the books go, I only own the Mooney editions. I've never even seen the others.

Is it possible to track down the rest?

Are they available for purchase anywhere?

I'd love to have a copy of each.