Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-28-19, 10:23 AM
All Yappi

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Off season isn't only about kids working harder to get bigger stronger faster etc.it's about self assessment of the program . Coaches need to do this even if they have been together for years and the program is steady and seemingly strong.

It's about watching film of returning players, how they were used , where can they be better utilized. How ?

The best programs and organizations utilize their resources best. They engage in creative processes that illicit new ideas and ways of doing things. What is the best version of your team . When is your team at their best ? What attributes need to be accentuated. If you look at the top football program in the world, The New England Patriots and they and their coaches present and former refer to the Patriots as a program, they are constantly tweaking and trying to find ways to utilize their guys and find what it is they do best and in what positions they have the greatest chance to succeed in.

They don't have the best roster in football talent wise most years , but they figure out how to win consistently by adapting on the fly and getting the most out of players abilities .

Davidson uses a strict system that is one of sameness, no adjusting to personnel but they stick to their vision and almost always get the most of their players and what their potential is. Liberty has prospered more with not only better numbers { School grew but with Berlin opening those may stagnate now} but with a certain mentality that helps get the most of what they have to work with.

Steve Hale is the only coach the program ahs ever had, that continuity is a key but he has adapted to what he has well. His team as he said despite being rooted in a bit higher than middle class base , has a BLUE COLLAR MENATLAITY.

What that means is they are hard working of course , want to be physical , and lately they have had a plethora of large lineman who bring the lunch pail to work . They have great size and they work hard to develop line play that performs at a level that enables the skill kids to be more productive who may be aren't always the most dynamic ?

Good athletes with a bit more time and space can get better than good results. the defense of Liberty is based on work ethic scheme and desire. Not speed and individual talent although they have some of that at times. Mentality , consistent effort and good coaching can equal a stingy defense , especially at play-off time after demonstrated success.

Stepping it up in the play-offs is kind of their recent brand . Blue collar work ethic, size , strength work and technique that enables the playmakers they have play better than they are.

Some individuals on the Coffman roster are getting some nice attention from colleges. Individual talent is always useful and beneficial on any football team. If the attitude and the work ethic is strongest within this group of more talented players you9 have a great chance to achieve excellence .

I see that dynamic within the Coffman program . The most talented and gifted also work really hard. Want to be great .

This dynamic makes it a challenge for the coaches to really plan on how they can best utilize their resources to the greatest degree. What schemes best fit the skills they possess, , what different ways can we utilize the talent we have?

What went wrong in our losses last year? How can the players that were involved and coming back improve and how can we use them better and what ways?

Key junctures in the third quarter with the games in balance saw some mistakes that were made and weren't recovered from . What can we do to make sure we react better to that adversity. How can we close games better in wins? As coaches what can we do better in preparation ? Mind set? Adjustments ?

Adapting schemes to fir new players unique skills and how we can use some players in different roles and getting them to accept it? A lot of resources here. Pieces of the puzzle are missing but there are great pieces present as well .

How do we close the gap and lessen what we don't have and better utilize what we do have? Those are the questions and some of the off season work coaches need to do if they want to be elite and continue to be successful .

Versatility is something I think may define the roster this year , skill pieces are in abundance , how they are used is what will separate good from very good or great.
Old 02-05-19, 10:11 AM
All Yappi

A little less than Six months until camps will be in full swing. A lot of time to do a lot of work . Coffman has some high end talent who also want to be great and work really hard. Some have large aspirations including playing after college. A lot of kids probably think about it in the back of their mind but most don't have the ability tools or even more importantly the drive and desire to do the work and have the focus to get themselves in a position to be considered .

it all starts now , you develop work habits and learn to focus and push yourself when you don't feel like working. Many a player with all the tools and the talent doesn't get D-1 offers because they couldn't focus , didn't want to work hard and coast on their natural ability or did poorly in the classroom and just faded away . Some Coffman players have the D-1 offers so they will play in college at that level , where they go from there is up to them .

Choosing the right college is important. Many kids just commit to the biggest name and some never start there. If that school is the best fit in other ways that's OK , but kids need to make wise choices in terms of fit academically , socially and also athletically . Location atmosphere, culture and academics need to be taken into great consideration .

Looking at the schedule for next year with week one still needed to be worked out, Coffman should have some nice advantages vs foes that gave them trouble last year in terms of their defense going against their offenses.

Gahanna in week two comes to Coffman stadium with their QB returning but no D-1 back Justus Harris and some other key guys on offense also graduated. Coffman defense returns 8-9 kids who either started all year or saw considerable action.

Jerome will have a QB back who is a rising Jr. who started about half the season . They lose their top couple receivers and some key Lineman . Advantage Coffman defense .

Olentangy loses their majority of skill kids but has a talented Rising Junior class and their QB Sr. Maddox did start vs Coffman although he did not start the majority of games for them .

Pick North needs a QB , as always they will find one somewhere most likely . They have some great talent back so no advantage for Coffman here especially if they find a QB to get the ball to their excellent skill kids . Coffman will compete well up front most likely though .

Marysville loses some nice offensive players and some key lineman{ Connolly a d-1 kid}Coffman should really limit them in what could be the last meeting for quite some time .

Central Crossing has some nice talent coming back{ Lowe and Ross} but again Coffman has the advantage on defense here . CC loses more than they return on that side .

Davidson loses pretty much their entire offense , they have one Lineman back Sands who is good but all skill kids are gone . I think they have real trouble scoring points this season . Defense will be good as usual and a tough out as usual but aren't scoring much .

Westland . No comment And UA has their QB who got some experience after Sass got hurt and two good back s back and should be OK up front BUT The Rocks did shut them down last year. Weather was horrible so bad offense for both teams was explainable and shouldn't be taken too seriously . As always the UA Coffman game will be competitive .

Guys returning include . DE Bramonte Sr. - who is about 6-3 and will hopefully come back in 6 months at about 220 pounds , runs fairly well , gets off blocks and made a lot of plays . Kind of a surprise but still has room to grow physically and technique wise and should get to a higher level .

DE- Russell Jr. - who is a talented kid who played QB coming up. 6-4 220 and can really be a force with hard work . Has the frame to get to 240-245 and with two seasons left can have a future at the next level . Was a bit raw last year but if he keeps improving he has great potential . Basketball player as well , could be a tight end on occasion with his skill set.

DT Wolfe Sr. - started the year at offensive guard , before going to the defense and was a factor there. 6-0 265 and Strong. having a great off-season so far I have heard. Working hard and will be a key run stuffer on the interior.

OLB - DE Williams Jr. - A great prospect , already has offers from Michigan Boston College and Minnesota with a nice handful to surely follow over the next year and a half. Can play with his hand on the ground and standing up with equal effectiveness at this level . 6-2 210 But with vast room to grow . I see him as getting to about 220 or so this year and another growth period going into Sr. Yr. Runs well , is a tough match-up coming off the edge for Tackles to handle . Will have a lot of responsibility this year.

CB- Safety, OLB , PLAYMAKER - Bryon Threats Jr. - Kid jumps off the film Love this kid , only played 5 games due to transfer rule, the first Columbus City league transfer to play at Coffman . Started at Mifflin as a Frosh and was all over the field making plays from a hybrid LB- Secondary even on the line off the edge. Last year he made a noticeable impact in the last 4 games he played as the first game he did fine but it was kind of a sloppy uneven performance by Coffman over Perrysburg and not may real standouts in that game. Week two Gahanna he was good on defense and had a play of the year type punt return of about 80 yards which should be included on a how to return a punt instructional video . I returned Punts my last 5 years of football , I love the particulars of it and there is an art to it . He's a natural at it . Week three vs Jerome strong defense and special teams play and a 4th quarter pick 6 .

Week 4 vs Olentangy the team played their worst half of the season . Down 16-0 at the half . Threats had a few excellent tackles in the first half , but set the tone with a big hit on the kick-off in the second half and the Rocks held the Braves scoreless in the half and he was a big part of this.

Week 5 vs. Pick North , Rocks needed a spark down two scores and threats responded with a Kick off return for a touchdown . Played well against a greatly skilled and fast opponent, not perfect but as a Soph he has some things to learn as al younger players do . 3 Td's in 5 games , big hits and he is still learning the Coffman scheme , but is now a Rock and his potential is great. Tough. Reminds me of Bob Sanders who was only 5-8 180 coming out of HS playing at Nationally ranked Erie Cathedral prep in the late 90's - 2000. Played at Iowa and had a decorated career and eventually the Colts making a few Pro Bowls and won a Super Bowl . Nicknamed the 'hitman " because of his hard hits and momentum changing plays. Played RB in HS . Tough to compare any HS player to a NFL guy but this kid does remind me of Sanders. Sanders played in the NFL at 5-8 206 at Safety . Threats goes about 5-9 close to 5-10 ? and a solid 185 or so . Holds an offer from Ohio , but there will be more .

Safety AJ. Kirk - Jr. Safety Highly ranked in his class and well known brother of Mike Doss the former Buckeye great and NFL secondary player . Holds multiple offers including Notre Dame , Penn State and Michigan . OSU offer is probably inevitable but not there yet. Big hitter , good size 6-0 200 right now , I believe he will break out this year with more production in terms of interceptions , he has a handful in his career so far but I think as his instincts improve and his feel for safety he will be in a better position to make big plays. Is big and strong enough to play LB at this level. Missed some games including the Davidson game { Threats and Kirk make a big difference defending the run if they played and will be instrumental this year } but came back and had a pretty strong finish. Like Mike Drennan breaking out his Jr. Yr. after a solid Frosh Yr. but an injury limited Soph. year , I think Kirk who payed in more games than Drennan did Soph. Year really elevates his play this year being more sound in his tackling { A couple missed tackles by not wrapping up } taking better angles, and a bit quicker reactions and recognition . Solid worker and was the most valuable player on the defense I thought .

Cam Kirk CB Sr. - solid athlete { Lacrosse player on the Rocks highly ranked team} who saw some action as a Soph. and started every game this year. 5-10 175- 180 tackles well and will be better this year in coverage with his experiences the last two years.

Sayles DT- DE Sr. saw a nice number of snaps and made some plays , wrestles so he should be in better shape, needs some more size and strength , could he switch to Offense ? 5-10 225 ? Get to about 235 or so and play offensive guard?

Simpson Safety - Sr. - played about half the games as a starter , did well and needs to get stronger , a good tackler, he can get better with more strength and add about 8-10 pounds . 5-7- 5-8 165 . ?

These are the kids who saw significant action and I think the potential for a great defense is there, although questions need to be answered on the inside at Linebacker .
Old 02-20-19, 11:05 AM
All Yappi

Winter season coming nearer to a close and it has been an excellent year { As usual it is always pretty good} for Rocks teams in the winter. Football off -season is well underway and the Rocks improvement in their off-season strength program is impressive.

As I noted in the defensive off-season thoughts of returning players the Rocks have a lot of self motivated good players who want to be better than good , very good players want to be great . Some of this dedication and work was shown off at the 'Best of the Midwest combine " almost two weeks ago . The key is team wise is for the best most hardworking players to get the rest to work like they do and hold them accountable . You get that dynamic going? You really have something.

Now the higher profile recruits Jr. APB Drennan{ 28 offers including OSU} and Soph. Safety . AJ Kirk { Handful of offers now will rise including Michigan, will likely get OSU at some point I would think } didn't attend but others did and made their presence felt.

Those who did attend were Soph. OLB -DE Williams is gaining more attention including a Michigan offer among a small handful of others { BC , Kentucky , Minnesota } and had a nice showing . DB- All purpose playmaker Soph. Bryon Threats was good n coverage as reported and has a ton of potential holding and Ohio offer with more to come by the end of the spring I am quite sure and if not? Mistake.

Jr. WR Yousey who was a QB and now appears will go for it at the receiver position and why not? A legit 6-3 or more about 195-200 right now? Was limited last year at the receiver position with some minor malady's and when out on the field had a nice presence although he didn't catch many balls was a really effective blocker which was impressive seeing as though he has been a QB . SHOWED WELL HERE, and I thin he gets an offer at some point at the D-1 level despite limited tape . Can't teach that frame or his natural athletic ability and he could be a real weapon this season and a nightmare match-up in the red zone especially . With his frame I believe he can out another 10-15 pounds on his frame in the next 5- 6 months and at the HS level be able to play some snaps lining on up on the wing as a hybrid TE-WR ? Of course at say 6-4 215 ?{ Could be a great blocker in some packages} } he can play outside and have that size that many colleges programs covet. Very interesting prospect who should get at least a MAC offer or two before all is said and done . Reminds me of a kid I played with who switched positions from QB as a Soph. and grew into a TE but also because of injuries and a stud player in front saw limited action as a Jr. grew to about 6-2 200 went to receivers camps , caught a lot of balls from our QB and in our wing T offense played in tight most of the time but caught about 20 balls including many big time clutch receptions and got a few 1-AA offers and played at that level in college starting two years. Even when scaled for the time period, Yousey is a better prospect than that kid was .

Jr. DT Colton Wolf was a big surprise and continues to have a big early off-season outplaying more highly coveted prospects. 6-0 265 ? Not ideal size obviously for the D-1 level but was outplaying many D-1 offered kids at this combine . MVP of the D-Lineman I believe. He started the year at Offensive guard last season before moving to defense . There may well be a defensive lineman or two going to the offensive line but he won't be one of them most likely . Will be a huge key to stopping the inside running game this year.

As the tournament season is now upon us Coffman teams and individuals have done well this season . Boys hoops lost their first game on Friday to biggest rival UA { Davidson football l although they are getting better in hoops lately} UA is the biggest in hoops, a truly great rivalry. Said before the game from a handicapping perspective that I thought UA could only win if they kept it in the 50's and Martz needed to get at least 25 { I handicap CBB NFL and CFB } . I was close , Martz needed every bit of 29 of his teams 53 points and Coffman had a rare poor offensive game with much credit going to UA and their intensity and effort.

Best Rocks team I have seen Zach Fleer of 270 hoops and his staff whoa re the local HS experts summed up Coffman best this year saying that they have 8 pure basketball players who can all shoot handle the ball and pass . Many good teams have a few pure skilled basketball players but have to sue kids who are more athletes than skilled hoops players. Coffman is ranked accurately I believe at about number 5-6 in the state I D-1 . This is their best look at getting to Columbus since I have followed them . Even with losing the two Senior players due to the new transfer rule Pick C has to be the favorite in Central Ohio still as the Rocks have lost to them the last three years in the tourney to end their season. This is their best chance to beat them . Hilliard Bradley is really good as well and are extremely disciplined and well coached . Coffman probably better in say a 5 game series but one game? Bradley is good enough to get on a bus to the Schott in a few weeks .

Props to UA for beating the Rocks ruining their undefeated regular season after losing the last two games to the Rocks in rare for this rivalry blowout fashion , although this years first meeting was played with Martz NOT in the line-up for UA. I believe if the teams played again the Rocks would prevail because I think in that possible meeting the Rocks would have a full go and minutes situation with their best defensive player Derek Van Vlerah who was out with Mono and has just come back in a limited minutes capacity . He would likely be on Martz for the full game or close to that . Rocks were missing a few guys at various times but are getting healthier at the right time .

Girls hoops had a good year losing to a very good McKinley team on the road after leading most of the way . Lost by a few dozen to a great Africentric team in a game they were competitive I for the first 13-14 minutes { Almost a half} getting crushed in the second half . Africentric is D-3 BUT is a top 5 team NATIONALLY? legit . Newark and possible regional Semi match-up for the Rocks Pick C { There they are again} look to be the favorites with the Rocks behind them . Rocks did beat PC in a regional Semi two years ago in an instant classic with star Guard Sheldon who is going to Ohio State next year hitting a buzzer beating three. Rocks lost to Newark in the Final . Once again I believe it could be a bit of a repeat of two years ago?

Wrestling program is in a good place with excellent coaching and gaining tradition . Predictably were seeded 7th in the state duals and got beaten up a bit by St Ed's , but the Rocks have a couple state contenders going forward. { 182 Sr. Lennox Wolak and Frosh 195 pound Seth Shumate can wrestle with anyone at their weights } Great young talent and some solid vets as the Rocks program continues to grow.
Old 02-20-19, 11:30 AM
All Yappi

Rocks have an open date in week one. There are some Catholic heavyweights { Iggy Moeller Hoban } available , but if Rocks want a less arduous but challenging week one road contest , D-1 play-off team Northmont { Lost to Pick Central in round two in R-3 }is available as is D-2 Cincinnati Anderson who won two play-off games before getting beaten up a bit by Winton Woods.

Rocks play only three play-off teams from last season[ Davidson , Gahanna and Olentangy } but two teams were close , PN and UA who lost their QB and lost a few close games as did PN . Both will be solid this year especially PN and both capable of beating the Rocks . I think both of those teams would be a good fit in week one . Will we see a team from Canada?
Old 02-20-19, 02:12 PM
All District

WJ-OSU-STEELERS is on a distinguished road
If Dublin Coffman & Gahanna are having difficulty in finding a week one opponent they could possibly move their week 2 game (Gahanna at Dublin) to week one. I've seen where some have said Gahanna is playing Cincinnati Elder in wk 1 but I've also seen where it states Gahanna still does not have anyone scheduled for wk 1 - I don't know what the correct answer is. If Gahanna does not have a wk 1 opponent, both teams could move their game to wk one freeing both schools to look for opponents in week two. Playing a Canadian team is better than a bye but it's typically not much more than a glorified scrimmage.

Some notable Ohio teams who currently have openings for week one & two:

Week One Openings:
* Dublin Coffman (DI)
* Gahanna (DI)
* Cleveland St Ignatius (DI)
* Cincinnati St. Xavier (DI)
* Clayton Northmont (DI)
* Akron Hoban (DII)
* Cincinnati Anderson (DII)
* Columbus DeSales (DIII)
* Dayton Thurgood Marshall (DIII)

Week Two Openings:
* Lakewood St Edward (D1)
* Pickerington Central (D1)
* Huber Heights Wayne (D1)
* Avon Lake (DII)
* Toledo Central Catholic (DII)
* Trotwood-Madison (DIII)
* New Philadelphia (DIII)
* Columbus Watterson (DIII)
* Marion Local (DVI)
Old 02-20-19, 02:33 PM
All American

hdvhsmgr is on a distinguished road
Elder has confirmed it's playing at Gahanna, in Week 1, even though their Arbiter site shows them playing Football North.
St. Xavier is playing Brownsburg (IN), Week 1 as well.
Old 02-22-19, 08:30 AM
Freshman

Central_Ohio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
Rocks have an open date in week one. There are some Catholic heavyweights { Iggy Moeller Hoban } available , but if Rocks want a less arduous but challenging week one road contest , D-1 play-off team Northmont { Lost to Pick Central in round two in R-3 }is available as is D-2 Cincinnati Anderson who won two play-off games before getting beaten up a bit by Winton Woods.

Rocks play only three play-off teams from last season[ Davidson , Gahanna and Olentangy } but two teams were close , PN and UA who lost their QB and lost a few close games as did PN . Both will be solid this year especially PN and both capable of beating the Rocks . I think both of those teams would be a good fit in week one . Will we see a team from Canada?
Mentor and Euclid schedule them..
Old 02-22-19, 08:43 AM
All Yappi

Wouldn’t be a bad idea at some point may be . Last two northern teams Coffman played were McKinley and Mass Perry . If either Mentor or Euclid were available week one I would have suggested that as well . Northmont would be a good choice . Coffman has good skill talent and defensive returnees are plentiful but OLone is a big rebuild , week one is always a tough one for first time Friday starters and that goes double for O Lineman IMO.
Old 02-22-19, 09:08 AM
Freshman

Central_Ohio is on a distinguished road
It is always a good way to test a team. The challenge comes with early injuries. X, Moe, Igs, and Eds typically are deeper and have formidable back ups in case of injury. Most of the public schools do not have that luxury IMO. I'm not sure it is the fear of losing as much as it is the fear of losing important players early that keeps a lot of good OH football schools from scheduling these teams.

Last edited by Central_Ohio; 02-22-19 at 09:20 AM.
Old 02-28-19, 02:12 PM
All Yappi

Winter season coming closer to the end . Coffman teams have had a nice winter. Football of course is in the lonely out of sight but crucial part of their program. Working to get better in these six months before the opening kickoff of the season is hard . Winning is hard , if it wasn't everyone would be doing it as an old coach of mine used to say.

Culture and tradition built over time keeps the program consistently 'Good" there is a level of play and success that can be sustained regardless of the talent level if the culture has been built and is strong.

What separates good from very good to great is of course culture but also ' CHEMISTRY, a 'Closeness and shared purpose of the team . Not every team has it. I have been on and seen teams with enough talent to be really good but never get past good because the chemistry was off and on a lesser talented team do better than good because of great intangibles. , in some talented underachieving teams often there wasn't that closeness that shared dedication mostly going in the right direction. I saw it with a couple of my kids teams, one year they were better than good and better than the year before despite not having the same talent level because the team had chemistry, they played for each other liked each other .

This difference maker is built through the days in February , March , April when the up coming season is still in the horizon further away. Can't be felt or seen yet. All there is working towards improvement, getting closer, stronger , faster, quicker, and more confident together . yes some guys will head to camps and go on vacation and even train at times apart from teammates but the real progress and closeness comes from shared struggle . Families are close not just because they share blood, but because they have shared good times bad times and tough times together. Celebrate wins and success and get through obstacles together.

This is what this time of year is about . It's a great part of the sports calendar , one of my favorite times of the year. You have High school tournament time , great emotional wins and losses, ,one and done. Wrestling qualifying for state. March madness approaches quickly , always great . NFL combine marks this period of time as well . The underwear Olympics , Human cattle call . NCAA tourney moves along and we get towards the masters an the NHL and NBA play-offs. Spring break is always spent relaxing but also watching hoops .

And football players work and improve. Went over the defense where many who played come back as we pointed out and they match up well with the offenses they have to play against , at least now on paper . Offensively there is a hug rebuild on the Offensive line. Kelly at guard is now the only starter returning seeing Wolfe is not firmly entrenched on defense . So to me it's about 5-6 kids with a shot at the other 4 spots with may be one or two coming to the O-Line from the defense may be?

As I pointed out when writing about the Westerville Central scrimmage last summer, QB at Coffman is solid with a new starter for the fourth straight year . Junior to be Mathews is going to likely be the starter and I noted in that scrimmage I like his game. He's not ideal height { 5-11} but he's a strong kid { 185 ?} who can run and throw on the move. This kid from Central who also played in the second half Holtzclaw from WC is going to be good . Tall rangy kid who has potential .

Mathews has good tape from Frosh and JV the last two years and now he gets to STEP UP and compete athletically on Friday night . He has a plethora of weapons to work with which is nice of course but the offensive line is a question mark and that is where the biggest improvements in the off-season need to be made.

Not many teams have as good a group of 4 skill kids as Coffman has . You have legit 4 star kid Drennan who can play RB or Slot , Diallo at RB who missed some of the season last year but I see a bigger year this year if the O-line can get it together. You can put both Drennan and Diallo in the back field at the same time as well. Williamson out wide was dangerous last year and I believe the team was hurt by his foot/Ankle not being right in the Liberty game { Hurt it in the Whitmer game} He can be a force and if he puts in the work can be a real difference maker. Yousey who wasn't a big factor but will get offers as he goes towards his Senior year and will focus on WR full time . A former QB has the size at 6-3.5 205 now and can possibly play in a H-Back role as well in some formations but will likely play outside mostly? You get him towards 220 and that type of size and ability is rare and coveted by college offenses. Can be a good blocker and as a former QB knows the game well. Reps at WR is the key and by mid season this kid may be a go to guy ?

PN has a good stable with Sawyer at TE Scott at WR, and Lawrence at RB . It seems they may get their QB back from Washington Court House where he went as a Soph .and was productive . he like Mathews at Coffman has a nice array of athletes to work with . Coffman also always ahs a first time starter Senior out wide most years and this year will probably be no different . Aziz is a rising Sr. and has potential another Aziz is a rising Soph RB who has talent. ? A kid like rising Jr. Bryon Threats { Ohio early offer} who is a flat out baller and will start on defense can also do things on offense as well either running or receiving as his kick return prowess attests.

When your personnel changes and the make-up of your team changes you need to adjust. Good coaches accentuate their strengths to the highest degree they can and try to minimize their weaknesses. I think with a rebuilding O-line the ball probably needs to come out quicker and I think with the ability of the skill guys to operate in space, the ball getting out quickly seems to be the way to go . As I have always said a big jup in development of Qb's tends s to happen between Soph. and Jr. year . . Physical maturity , increased strength { CORE MUSCLES LEGS AR ECRUCIAL WHICH HELPS THE ARM STRNGTH} and improved footwork and follow through are key. Gunnar Hoak made as much an improvement as anyone I have seen footwork wise and command wise of the whole throwing process. Set up, shoulder to target , weight transfer , everything was improved and it showed immediately from the first snap of the season .

Mathews needs to clean some things up as most you9ng guys do , and add an yard to his fastball as they say in baseball parlance , in a football sense it means crisp out patterns getting the ball there just a bit quicker with the extra velocity , hitting the seam routes beating defenders by getting the ball out quicker and more crisp and cleaner. Receivers need to get more explosive coming out of breaks and that is achieved not only by running and training catching the football but by squats and cleans . Bill Parcells was quote as saying, 'if you aren't emphasizing and attacking squats and cleans you aren't training properly for football .

Coffman winter teams suffered a tough one last night as the girls basketball faced an 8 seed Gahanna pretty early in the tourney last night . LOST, by three at the end after being up 5 with two minutes and change left and by 14 at the half and as much as 17 . Just one of those nights as Gahanna hit 8 threes in the first half and some key ones in the second half . It's always the X-Factor in hoops games. Shooting percentages are fluid and Gahanna had an outlier game it seemed. Tough loss to end the great Jaycee Sheldon's career. Boys have what I think is their best shot at getting to the Schott this year. Hopefully they can make it through. It won't be easy . Wrestlers are primed to have at least 6 state qualifiers and as many as 8? Program is ascending under their top notch coach Van Gundy. Big weekend for them .

Girls swimming came in 5th at the state meet which is a great showing . Time to go to work fellas , not just strength but speed and agility . Don't forget the details [ Hands and feet strength and work and mechanics. }
Old 03-04-19, 11:46 AM
All Yappi

As I have mentioned many times before the best programs and coaches take what they have and utilize their strengths to the fullest and minimize their weaknesses , hide them may be? Well one of the most impressive thing any athlete or team can do is turn a weakness into a strength . Of course that doesn't mean 'Main" strength but something that is solid . Takes hard work and it can be uncomfortable as the process takes place.

Rocks have a nice collection of talented players and those skills and strength needs to be accentuated to the fullest degree . But also the Offensive line rebuild and a couple defensive positions may need to be worked on to the degree over time that a weakness becomes serviceable and then solid. Different alignments and schemes can help inexperience in some areas and help obvious strengths.

if you look at the biggest Public school in particular dynasty's there are many examples of weaknesses or inexperience turning into a very solid area within the team or even a strength . Odessa Permian won a National title wining the Texas big school title in 1989 despite losing their entire starting offensive line . One starter was coming back but was moved to defense and was a force at DE. This was the year after the Friday Night lights 1988 team lost in the Semi finals to a Dallas carter team that had about 16 D-1 players on it .

Central Bucks West under legendary coach Mike Pettine as shown in the documentary the 'Last Game " won a state title and was undefeated in 1999 after graduating their entire offensive line . yes they had a great back and other talented athletes coming back which they utilized to the fullest. Consistency of product and performance is the thig that separates any business or organization in any area.

A ton or work to be done in these few areas and personal responsibility of the players needs to be pushed. Coaches prove their ability in these times where a unit rebuild is needed. Rocks off season training program has been getting better and upgraded and hopefully this will be seen in all areas this year because to be blunt the season will be a big disappointment if anything less than an appearance in a Regional final repeat of last year is achieved. Of course it will still be a disappointment if they lose that game again and don't play to their potential { Coaches didn't have a great night either} . Too much talent not to make that type of run or better.

Offense could look a bit different this year as QB Mathews has a James Walsh like running ability. Not the same style , a bit thicker and runs a bit harder but a suddenness and speed that is similar. Guys like Brown this year { Colt Caldwell for a few games back in 2009 } are big kids who ran but aren't real quick. Mathews reminds me of Walsh in the running vane and the ballhandling and command sense. Walsh threw a very catchable pass and had nice touch . Remains to be seen how Mathews throwing develops but has the ability to get the ball into his playmakers hands efficiently.

Wrestlers made a nice showing setting a school record of qualifying 8 for the state tournament . Future looks great as well as three Frosh 2 Juniors and One Soph. qualified.

Basketball resumes on Wednesday vs O-Orange and then most likely Newark if they win in the district final . Are better than these teams but in one game in a one and done tourney anything can happen of course .

Looking at the nine games that are on the schedule right now{ Week one pending} there isn't one they can't beat IMO . PN looks like the most talented team as they play in week 5 . Week two vs Gahanna at first glance looks like a good match-up for Coffman as Lions have some areas of rebuild and no Justus Harris. They return their QB but a lot of new guys will be out there and Rocks should run that record to 3-1 vs Gahanna in recent play . Jerome lost some key athletes as well and I don' t see the beating Coffman this year but they are really excited about their 7th through 9th grade classes as they lost only a coupe games total the last few years . Geciwich will face large expectations soon . Rocks should move to 4-0 vs Jerome but Jerome is getting there and coming for them.

Olentangy has some quality coming back but lost more than they keep . I think the Rocks are the better club but Solis is one of the best coaches arou9nd especially from an offensive scheme standpoint . Really difficult to prepare for and play against . Not as consistent as they would like to be . Ask Winton Woods . Coffman second half vs Tangy shutting them out was a very impressive a half of team defense and focus coming back to win down 16 .

Marysville lost many of their best guys and doesn't have the horses to beat Coffman this year after coming within a whisker of doing it last year. Central Crossing has some athletes as usual lately but not enough this year. Davidson is Davidson , always capable of pulling upsets or beating teams with more talent than they have .

The problem is it is hard to see them having the offense to score much vs good defenses. They will have their usual tough defense with Keys back at DE and he is a stud. 4 others who started and are good solid players who will likely be better this year makes them formidable and of course they are so well coached . Have to replace their entire offense pretty much . They have a young back a rising Soph Nixon who looks legit and should contribute right away . Coffman I believe gets the victory ina tough game as usual.

Westland ? UA as always will be competitive. Coffman has had their number lately winning 6 of the last 7. Most are close and competitive and UA has to quality experienced backs coming back and a few other key players. Rocks would likely be a small favorite. Could UA finally get off the Davidson schneid this year?
Old 03-05-19, 10:12 PM
All American

hdvhsmgr is on a distinguished road
Posted on Arbiter Live Today...

Dublin Coffman will be travelling to Clayton Northmont in Week 1 to take on the Thunderbolts.
Old 03-06-19, 08:44 AM
All District

TheJect is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
Winter season coming closer to the end . Coffman teams have had a nice winter. Football of course is in the lonely out of sight but crucial part of their program. Working to get better in these six months before the opening kickoff of the season is hard . Winning is hard , if it wasn't everyone would be doing it as an old coach of mine used to say.

Culture and tradition built over time keeps the program consistently 'Good" there is a level of play and success that can be sustained regardless of the talent level if the culture has been built and is strong.

What separates good from very good to great is of course culture but also ' CHEMISTRY, a 'Closeness and shared purpose of the team . Not every team has it. I have been on and seen teams with enough talent to be really good but never get past good because the chemistry was off and on a lesser talented team do better than good because of great intangibles. , in some talented underachieving teams often there wasn't that closeness that shared dedication mostly going in the right direction. I saw it with a couple of my kids teams, one year they were better than good and better than the year before despite not having the same talent level because the team had chemistry, they played for each other liked each other .

This difference maker is built through the days in February , March , April when the up coming season is still in the horizon further away. Can't be felt or seen yet. All there is working towards improvement, getting closer, stronger , faster, quicker, and more confident together . yes some guys will head to camps and go on vacation and even train at times apart from teammates but the real progress and closeness comes from shared struggle . Families are close not just because they share blood, but because they have shared good times bad times and tough times together. Celebrate wins and success and get through obstacles together.

This is what this time of year is about . It's a great part of the sports calendar , one of my favorite times of the year. You have High school tournament time , great emotional wins and losses, ,one and done. Wrestling qualifying for state. March madness approaches quickly , always great . NFL combine marks this period of time as well . The underwear Olympics , Human cattle call . NCAA tourney moves along and we get towards the masters an the NHL and NBA play-offs. Spring break is always spent relaxing but also watching hoops .

And football players work and improve. Went over the defense where many who played come back as we pointed out and they match up well with the offenses they have to play against , at least now on paper . Offensively there is a hug rebuild on the Offensive line. Kelly at guard is now the only starter returning seeing Wolfe is not firmly entrenched on defense . So to me it's about 5-6 kids with a shot at the other 4 spots with may be one or two coming to the O-Line from the defense may be?

As I pointed out when writing about the Westerville Central scrimmage last summer, QB at Coffman is solid with a new starter for the fourth straight year . Junior to be Mathews is going to likely be the starter and I noted in that scrimmage I like his game. He's not ideal height { 5-11} but he's a strong kid { 185 ?} who can run and throw on the move. This kid from Central who also played in the second half Holtzclaw from WC is going to be good . Tall rangy kid who has potential .

Mathews has good tape from Frosh and JV the last two years and now he gets to STEP UP and compete athletically on Friday night . He has a plethora of weapons to work with which is nice of course but the offensive line is a question mark and that is where the biggest improvements in the off-season need to be made.

Not many teams have as good a group of 4 skill kids as Coffman has . You have legit 4 star kid Drennan who can play RB or Slot , Diallo at RB who missed some of the season last year but I see a bigger year this year if the O-line can get it together. You can put both Drennan and Diallo in the back field at the same time as well. Williamson out wide was dangerous last year and I believe the team was hurt by his foot/Ankle not being right in the Liberty game { Hurt it in the Whitmer game} He can be a force and if he puts in the work can be a real difference maker. Yousey who wasn't a big factor but will get offers as he goes towards his Senior year and will focus on WR full time . A former QB has the size at 6-3.5 205 now and can possibly play in a H-Back role as well in some formations but will likely play outside mostly? You get him towards 220 and that type of size and ability is rare and coveted by college offenses. Can be a good blocker and as a former QB knows the game well. Reps at WR is the key and by mid season this kid may be a go to guy ?

PN has a good stable with Sawyer at TE Scott at WR, and Lawrence at RB . It seems they may get their QB back from Washington Court House where he went as a Soph .and was productive . he like Mathews at Coffman has a nice array of athletes to work with . Coffman also always ahs a first time starter Senior out wide most years and this year will probably be no different . Aziz is a rising Sr. and has potential another Aziz is a rising Soph RB who has talent. ? A kid like rising Jr. Bryon Threats { Ohio early offer} who is a flat out baller and will start on defense can also do things on offense as well either running or receiving as his kick return prowess attests.

When your personnel changes and the make-up of your team changes you need to adjust. Good coaches accentuate their strengths to the highest degree they can and try to minimize their weaknesses. I think with a rebuilding O-line the ball probably needs to come out quicker and I think with the ability of the skill guys to operate in space, the ball getting out quickly seems to be the way to go . As I have always said a big jup in development of Qb's tends s to happen between Soph. and Jr. year . . Physical maturity , increased strength { CORE MUSCLES LEGS AR ECRUCIAL WHICH HELPS THE ARM STRNGTH} and improved footwork and follow through are key. Gunnar Hoak made as much an improvement as anyone I have seen footwork wise and command wise of the whole throwing process. Set up, shoulder to target , weight transfer , everything was improved and it showed immediately from the first snap of the season .

Mathews needs to clean some things up as most you9ng guys do , and add an yard to his fastball as they say in baseball parlance , in a football sense it means crisp out patterns getting the ball there just a bit quicker with the extra velocity , hitting the seam routes beating defenders by getting the ball out quicker and more crisp and cleaner. Receivers need to get more explosive coming out of breaks and that is achieved not only by running and training catching the football but by squats and cleans . Bill Parcells was quote as saying, 'if you aren't emphasizing and attacking squats and cleans you aren't training properly for football .

Coffman winter teams suffered a tough one last night as the girls basketball faced an 8 seed Gahanna pretty early in the tourney last night . LOST, by three at the end after being up 5 with two minutes and change left and by 14 at the half and as much as 17 . Just one of those nights as Gahanna hit 8 threes in the first half and some key ones in the second half . It's always the X-Factor in hoops games. Shooting percentages are fluid and Gahanna had an outlier game it seemed. Tough loss to end the great Jaycee Sheldon's career. Boys have what I think is their best shot at getting to the Schott this year. Hopefully they can make it through. It won't be easy . Wrestlers are primed to have at least 6 state qualifiers and as many as 8? Program is ascending under their top notch coach Van Gundy. Big weekend for them .

Girls swimming came in 5th at the state meet which is a great showing . Time to go to work fellas , not just strength but speed and agility . Don't forget the details [ Hands and feet strength and work and mechanics. }

I guess I probably should look at the wrestling thread but is Van Gundy the same coach who was at Central Crossing? If so, he is an excellent coach.
Old 03-06-19, 03:42 PM
All District

WJ-OSU-STEELERS is on a distinguished road
I assume the Coffman-Northmont game will be at Northmont this year. Below is the current division and record for the last 3 seasons (2018,2017,2016 = 3 year total).

Dublin Coffman - DI; 11-2, 8-3, 9-3 = 28-8
08/30 A Clayton Northmont – DI; 10-2, 8-3, 4-6 = 22-11
09/06 H Gahanna Lincoln – DI; 5-6, 7-5, 5-5 = 17-16
09/13 H Dublin Jerome – DI; 5-5, 7-4, 10-2 = 22-11
09/20 A Lewis Center Olentangy – DII; 5-6, 8-4, 7-4 = 20-14
09/27 H Pickerington North – DI; 6-4, 10-3, 8-4 = 24-11
10/04 H Marysville – DI; 5-5, 4-6, 3-7 = 12-18
10/11 A Grove City Central Crossing – DI; 4-6, 4-6, 2-8 = 10-20
10/18 A Hilliard Davidson – DI; 11-2, 5-5, 8-3 = 24-10
10/25 H Galloway Westland – DI; 1-9, 1-9, 0-10 = 2-28
11/01 A Upper Arlington – DI; 5-5, 4-6, 8-2 = 15-13
Old 03-13-19, 06:34 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJect View Post
I guess I probably should look at the wrestling thread but is Van Gundy the same coach who was at Central Crossing? If so, he is an excellent coach.
Yes he was at Central Crossing { 7 years} and Ready [3 years}. Yes he has done a great job and the program is in good shape going forward.
Old 03-13-19, 06:36 PM
All Yappi

As I said above in a previous post , Northmont was available and a challenging open week contest on the road . Should be a good one , looking forward to it.
Old 03-14-19, 11:55 AM
All Yappi

Schedule set now, a very interesting week one road contest vs Northmont. Quick look at Northmont sees that they lose a handful of key guys and it could be a bit of a rebuild? Appreciate any info on them . I see that they lost Jacobs Newburgh , Forsythe, Lewis QB Johnson , Roach?

Looks like they as usual will have some athletes and they have a good program so with the Rocks rebuilding on the -O-line and a couple spots on defense will be challenged for sure. Had a tough deal with Pick Sixes vs PC but their defense played pretty well .

Again they do lose some really key pieces on that defense . Coffman has plenty of skill and talent on offense . Defense has some experience and some higher end talent { 3-4 D-1 KIDS} .

Hope to see a nice number of football players go out for track again as it is just getting going. They had better numbers the last two years as they had the couple years before and it's a good workout and speed is something that can be improved on contrary to what some think . Not to the degree that strength can be improved percentage wise may be but some Coffman skill kids who run well can still improve speed and explosiveness . If not playing baseball or Lacrosse football players can benefit from track and field.

One of the toughest losses for Coffman in recent memory was the basketball team going out before the district final losing to a good but not great Olentangy Orange club. . Best team I had seen while living here and to not get to that Saturday at the Convention Center was excruciating for the program and it's fans.

It's why they call it March " Madness " in any tourney of this type because it's one and done . You play a bad 8-10 minute stretch in a 32 minute game and your opponent plays over it's head and has a kid go for 30 ? YOU GO HOME.

I said after that loss that the best bet of the season was probably Newark over orange in the next game Saturday and that Orange would come down to earth and not score nearly as much { 78 VS Coffman 53 vs. Newark } and Newark isn't as good as Coffman is defensively or offensively . Just one of those things where you combine a poor shooting night missing open good looks much more than usual so it wasn't the Orange defense and a star player going for 30 and the defense. was not there that night for some reason? Did the team peak early ? Only other game they lost was when UA got 30 from their star and won a naibiter. This one was different , Orange got a large lead{ Hitting at a high rate and the Rocks went stone cold} nd the Rocks simply couldn't get closer than 6 the rest of the way . Orange also hit a ton of free throws.

Beat Orange earlier in the year by 8 , and now at full strength I figured a 8-12 point win . Weird night as PC was up 2 with a with a couple minutes after trailing at the half vs big underdog Big Walnut before pulling away and number two seed Bradley who had beaten Tommy Worthington { Football team only gets the Ye Olde moniker} TWICE during the season showing how hard it is to beat a team three times. orange is a good team not a monumental; upset , just a tough night and unexpected earlier exit after a great season.

Felt like the 2012 football team losing to Davidson in rou9nd one after beating them by 23 which was every bit of the score { Over double yardage in control the whole way} and the losing 17-14 with a - 4 turnover margin with Davidson getting 4 short fields. Up 7-0 and then couldn't get out of their own way. As disappointing because of the potential that team had to make a run . Pick North won the region and was a play away from beating Moeller in the state Semi. Coffman scrimmaged North and there was little between those two teams and they were the consensus best teams in CO that year.

As tough with this basketball team because of much earlier exits and potential long runs , brutal loss .

Frosh Seth Shumate won a state title in wrestling at 195 pounds and is the type of kid who can further elevate the surging Coffman program under great coach Van Gundy { No relation to Jeff and Stan lol } . 3 Frosh qualifyers { 8 overall , one couldn't wrestle due to skin issue unique to wrestling} and a flat out star and stud like Shumate can garner even more interest in the program from the little Rocks program through the middle school programs and then Van Gundy and his excellent staff gets them.

Little kids look up to stars like this . My HS won a state title when I was in 8th and came close when I was in 6th grade and was building a strong program, I was playing anyway but I know for a fact we got a few more kids out that helped us because of the success and some of the star players that we looked up to .

A kid like Shumate is already a LEGEND to younger kids in the community as a rising Soph. and he and the you9nger kids competing at a higher level can really help elevate the program further.
Old 03-20-19, 07:55 AM
All Yappi

One of the main keys to success in any company or organization is re-evaluating what you are doing CONSTANTLY , as in being mindful of what you are doing, why you are doing it and making informed choices about changing things that either aren't working or can be improved upon.

I think some programs get stuck in a certain pattern of doing things that have 'Always worked " in the past and it's just the 'Way we have always done it". mindset.

What are others doing that you can learn from , can we get more feedback from our team members that may help us decide what to do better or change. Exit interviews are really important in that way to personnel managers for instance. You see year in a nd year out that some programs tend to peak earlier and some steadily improve and peak later on . Strength training improvements , different motivational tools and practice rituals are all thigns that can be tweaked , changed and improved upon .

Can we use certain players on both sides of the ball once in a while to have our best players on the field a larger percentage of the time ? . Can we make adjustments quicker DURING THE GAME on the fly ? Not just at halftime or for next weeks game. How can we tweak our modus operandi to best utilize our talent? Pre-season preparation from a scouting standpoint? Really narrow in on your upcoming season opponents strengths and weaknesses . Coaches can get a great handle of certain tendencies and can instruct their own players on what they may need to work on and watch . Not so much advance scouting for the players to get bogged down on but certain reminders where they can improve in reference to their upcoming challenges .

Week to week , on to the next game is a football mantra . Take em one game at a time , focus on only the next opponent? Well it sounds good and it is useful to a point once the season starts , BUT to ignore looking ahead and laying some groundwork as to what your players need to work on and be mindful of in reference to their opponents is foolhardy.

Overly analyzing data and overloading kids with too much information is a sure way to have them play a bit slower. I think even at the highest level keeping things a bit simpler when in doubt is usually the way to go . Evne at the highest levels the best coaches usually focus on only a few things that really matter in reference to their upcoming opponent . Patriots players to a man usually say that coach Belichick is great at giving them a couple ideas week to week that are specifically important to me mindful of. At a certain point you know your assignments and what your job is in terms of alignment . It's what happens in ADDITION to that makes the difference in making winning plays or not. Coaches giving the players a couple tools each week that help them better recognize or be mindful of is often the difference in making some big plays or preventing them .

Speaking of big plays a great stat at the NFL level from the last handful of years that I came across this season was useful to me in my handicapping process in the NFL. The team that wins the negative yardage battle wins 69 percent of the time . This is sacks, tackles behind the line on running plays and penalties that make down and distance tougher on offenses. This is why getting good pass rushers is so important to not only NFL teams but to the biggest programs in college football where the South has an advantage of having more big fast defensive lineman body types in their demographic which in turn is the reason they prosper at the highest levels{ Clemson and Alabama on the short list obviously} .

Of course speed edge rushers and good schemes that feature well times blitzes is also a factor . At the high school level this also holds true to an extent . Teams that do a good job stay on schedule and avoiding negative plays give themselves a better chance to win . Defenses that can make those big negative plays is huge . [think Hilliard Davidson over the years}

With this in mind , Coffman has the potential to be a team that can win that battle IF The O-Line rebuild goes well . The defense is FAST , they have good speed edge rushers and D-Ends that have potential to make those big plays that result in yardage losses that put teams behind schedule . Wolfe in the middle pushing , a bit of speed off the edge could be a good recipe for a good number of negative plays . Will Wolf also play offense at guard this year. ?

Last edited by Harrycrane; 03-20-19 at 08:23 AM.
Old 03-20-19, 08:18 AM
All District

coachrios is on a distinguished road
Harrycrane, good stuff!! You have to always be looking for ways to make your current product better!! Get Better Every Day!
Old 03-20-19, 08:27 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachrios View Post
Harrycrane, good stuff!! You have to always be looking for ways to make your current product better!! Get Better Every Day!
Added a bit more after inadvertently sending after a sentence .
Old 03-20-19, 01:32 PM
All Yappi

Got a note from a fan that brought up that one of the things I have talked about and believe that some coaches use certain strengths of their program in ways you might not think of.

Read a good article years back on the Central Bucks West community, and the Pettine's, Mike Sr. legendary HS coach of the Bucks and Mike Jr. who was HC of the Browns and is currently the DC of the Packers. Built a powerhouse public school team in a middle to upper middle class community and as I have said a few times the 'alast game" documentary that shows Pettine's last year as HC where he does win a title is a great watch .

Well in that article , the excellent second in command Mike Carey , Pettine's right hand man was quoted as saying one of the things Pettine and he drew on from the start was embracing the kids intelligence and using the fact that most of the families were hard working successful people and the kids could be influenced to work hard like the parents and pay attention to detail and prosper on the field and in the classroom . they realized the great support a large percentage of the kids had and family expectations and they should take advantage of that .

Text from a 'fan " said that Coffman among other schools has this dynamic as well. And he thought my comment on making things too complicated can slow players down".

Well I do believe that BUT as most who have seen Coffman play and know football well they don't use vanilla schemes and often use more advanced schemes and coverages .

Change coverages , use some exotic looks once in a while . Make the QB hesitate by changing things up , indecision, sacks , interceptions can happen from this confusion. the thing is using more complicated schemes on either side of the ball is predicated on where your personnel is experience wise . What kind of kids do you have in terms of how they think the game? How many starts? Coaches see what you can handle and if it's a lot you add more stuff . I think the good coaches try to keep it more simple with a more inexperienced players. and new starts. The Coffman players are collectively good students and have study habits , this strength needs to be utilized as well . Olentangy Liberty had a great game plan last year and their kids were obviously smart tough players who were coachable and they peaked later on . This is the type of dynamic that needs to be utilized and drawn upon, just like tradition and expectations that often drive players to do extra to prepare themselves to be good players in the fall by pushing in the the off-season . Being the best version of yourself individually and when camp starts it's all about what is the best version of 'US" going forward. John Calipari lives by this mantra for his teams and has done pretty well. Going beyond being a bit quicker , faster stronger but also being better prepared and knowing what you are doing and being confident in that so you9 play faster without thinking too much. Doesn't just happen it takes reps , starts and work . Mindfully working on your strengths and weaknesses to be your best version .

In the context of the Coffman defense this year I believe they can employ more change- ups and looks as the number of returning starters especially in the secondary is high. The other dynamic that I feel is on their side and can give opponents trouble this year especially with a handful of them losing a lot of offensive talent from last year is blitz with more confidence because I think their talent in one on one pass coverage is going to be better this year with the experience and talent they have . Stunts and faking the blitz and dropping into coverage can be a time to get some more picks which they didn't get a ton of last year . I would think that not only is negative play situations going to be a strength but also more interceptions .
Old 03-21-19, 08:33 AM
All Yappi

A cool wet gray March day here in CO , but a great day to have off with little to do except look forward to some college hoops pretty much all day . Handicapping is done or at least most of it { Couple late games lines may move a bit that could peak interest} and it's a few hours until tip off .

Great time of the year as we get ready for two weeks of madness , NFL draft is coming, College football spring practice , Major league baseball spring training is nearing it'[s conclusion and NHL and NBA teams jockey for play-off positioning or just try to get in . Trips to Florida , Carribbean, Mexico , Arizona or wherever it's warmer and sunny also beckons. High school spring sports are also underway with possible trips to Florida or warmer environs ?

Speaking of as I pointed out a while ago and an opinion that is shared by many football guys , many Coffman football guys are again are out for track and that is a good thing. A few years back there was a lag, many football guys chose not to go out and work out on their own . that's not a terrible thing, but I think good track workouts coupled with lifting can be a nice combo. Don't know the exact numbers but it seems the totals have increased to the extent that Coffman now has cuts in track .

That is not a good development of course. Cross country and Track were the last no cut bastions for lesser and even non athletic kids to feel part of something athletically , get needed exercise and work along with more talented kids to improve. Of course it can be tough at a school like Coffman or your other strong large school programs to make teams. Of course there has to be cuts in Hoops, baseball , softball , Volleyball to name a few . Track ? Parent told me they now cut kids due to not enough coaches to supervise the numbers or the track meets are too long ? I am not sure of the complete rationale but it stinks .

I watched 4 years of track meets when my daughter ran { Soph in college now} , part of the neat thing about going to the meets were watching not only your kid compete but also other talented dedicated kids who were striving to get personal bests .

The other neat thing was watching lesser athletes do the same thing. Run just a bit faster than they did before , throw the discus a foot longer each week and seeing your improvement during the season . Of course these kids aren't going to Invitationals on Saturdays or going to represent the school in a district or state meet , but they are going to practice every day , be part of the teams and compete in duals tri's and quads during the week . More talented kids I watched urge on the lesser athletes acknowledging their effort and improvement . Not to be corny but that was also really cool to see . I watched neighbors and friends kids who weren't the most talented, strongest or fastest get personal bests and the satisfaction of that was shown on their faces and it was one of the things that I enjoyed seeing .

Anyway that dynamic seems to be going by the wayside ? Good that football players are participating , bad that some kids who used to have Track or Cross country as their only reasonable athletic option no longer have that not track anyway, not sure if CC has cuts. . I hope they re-think this next year.

Last edited by Harrycrane; 03-21-19 at 08:52 AM.
Old 03-21-19, 12:09 PM
All American

Hammerdrill is on a distinguished road
Too many kids at our school were running track simply to get PE credit, while avoiding PE. So yes, they simply had too many kids, which wasn't fair to the kids who were truly dedicated to the sport, as the coach's time gets spread too thin.
Old 03-21-19, 01:40 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
Too many kids at our school were running track simply to get PE credit, while avoiding PE. So yes, they simply had too many kids, which wasn't fair to the kids who were truly dedicated to the sport, as the coach's time gets spread too thin.
Yeah I realize that it's logistics and truth be told those meets could be LOOOONG. I don't think the school's athletic department is doing a horrible thing, but its unfortunate for some kids. I don't think some of the football players particularly like track in fact I know some don't like it at all , BUT they have been encouraged to do it .

I don't know how many schools have track cuts . I think Coffman is the only Dublin school to have them. When I was in school our baseball program was really strong , so good ballplayers sometimes got cut and went towards track for their spring sport . I payed baseball as did 2 out of three of my backfield mates , the other ran track . It would have have benefitted us { TRACK} I am sure but we grew up playing baseball wanting to play at the high school. and baseball was my best sport.

Coffman football players even the average to below average athletes are going to beat out some of these kids who really want to participate . That's where it kind of stinks for some. Life isn't always fair as we know and things change over time. This change is a tough one as some kids will have to be left out .
Old 03-21-19, 01:46 PM
All Yappi

Yeah I played three sports and still had to take Gym .