Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-13-19, 11:00 PM
All District

Sliver of Hope is on a distinguished road
Red face Screw Who Has a New Stadium...What about Just Having a Football Field??!!

I saw the thread about what schools will be playing in new stadiums this fall. To heck with that, The Akron Board of Education, in their all-knowing wisdom, is "supposedly" building the new Garfield High School but will not have a football field!! What in the world are these morons thinking about?? Every other school has a field, but not the last one that has to be squeezed in under the bare bones because they had to spend astronomical amounts on Firestone because it is their baby. They make the claim it is about how much money is spent per pupil in the building, or some kind of jargon and creative accounting gymnastics to make it appear equal. Building a high school and not having a field is like opening a bar and not having an actual bar to belly up to; like having a stripper bar without having any hotties teasing the men with their jigglies; and like any member of the APS Administration giving a crap about anything that goes on in Firestone Park except that their fat pay checks get deposited into their accounts twice a month. It is asinine and makes about as much sense as putting braille on a steering wheel of a car. Come on, APS Administration, what are you thinking?? Specifically, the AD Vassalotti, you mean to tell me you didn't know there was no freaking field at the new school? All you are supposed to be looking out for is the betterment of the athletics and sports teams and facilities. How dies this better anything?? But i do understand, Buchtel is good in hoops this year and is making a deep run in the tournament, East had a nice run in football, so your work is justified. I call Bull! I hear they are possibly going to build a complex up off Wilbeth Road at the site of Roswell KEnt once it is torn down. What are they going to pay for that with?? I guess they will just bend the taxpayers over the barrel again to pay for it.... stupidity runs rampant in APS and it starts at the top! The Superintendent is collecting a nice salary telling people what they want to hear, then turning around and doing the opposite.

Sure hope they can find a way to squeeze a gymnasium into the building plans.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-19, 01:12 AM
All District

IndianaBanana is on a distinguished road
Dawg, take one of these..

Old 03-14-19, 02:59 AM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Not every APS school had their own field on site. It's not that surprising.
Old 03-14-19, 05:57 AM
All Ohio

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
Not every APS school had their own field on site. It's not that surprising.
Same with Cleveland Public Schools.

Heck, Byers field in Parma is shared by FOUR different schools.

This is a non issue
Old 03-14-19, 06:01 AM
Junior Varsity

BT17 is on a distinguished road
I don't see the problem. Many larger school districts share football stadiums (even in Texas!)
Old 03-14-19, 06:18 AM
All District

BigK72 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
Same with Cleveland Public Schools.

Heck, Byers field in Parma is shared by FOUR different schools.

This is a non issue
Dayton Public uses Welcome Stadium

Some but not all Cincinnati Public Schools use the CPS Stadium behind Taft.

I think Toledo Public might be the only large district in Ohio, where all the schools have their own field.
Old 03-14-19, 08:52 AM
All District

rr23724 is on a distinguished road
If they are getting money from the state to build the new school that money is not allowed to be used on extra-curriculars like football fields or a track. They would have to get the extra money from voters and many schools do not ask for that extra money on a levy because they fear it will cause failure.
Old 03-14-19, 09:06 AM
All American

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
true

they are called LFIs (Locally Funded Initiatives)

the facilities commission will build the school - any type of addition to gym space, auditorium type space, athletic facilities outside the building

those are LFI type items
Old 03-14-19, 01:49 PM
All Region

Stow78alum is on a distinguished road
Isn't the plan for them to use Kenmore's stadium?
Old 03-15-19, 12:10 AM
All District

You morons don't understand. I am not complaining that they don't have a freaking stadium, Garfield never had a damned stadium! Yet they went on the road to kick the crap out of of teams. I am talking about a freaking practice field so the kids can have a chance. Screw Kenmore, the only thing they are known for is doo-rags and the Kenmore Koney, which is pretty solid, btw. All I am saying is that the new building deserves to have a field, but APS is screwing, and I would use the F-word, but it will get banned off here, the Firestone Park community again. Next the elementary school is going ot be gone.......just typical APS incompetence. Hey, Vass, why don't you fight for the very, errr, ONLY thing you have a damned job for down there, or are you too busy looking to find youe next coaching job?!?!
Old 03-15-19, 03:17 PM
All District

IndianaBanana is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver of Hope View Post
You morons don't understand.

...I would use the F-word, but it will get banned off here...
Old 03-17-19, 03:40 PM
All District

I reverse my last several posts. The APS is much more intelligent than I previously stated. They are now beginning Arena Football in the school system with the addition of the 45-yard practice field they are placing at the "soon to be built" Garfield High School. This will be innovative and creative on their part. This is indeed great news for the future students of Garfield.

Also, the new building is being constructed to accommodate 1,400 students, which is about 300 more than are currently in the school now over at the old Kenmore school. Let me get this right, APS, you believe that there will be 300 more kids wanting to come into this building because it will be new??!! How has this mentality worked for the other high schools?? Incredible to me that the powers that be in APS can sleep at night knowing how they are killing the Firestone Park area with these kind of decisions. The building should be built for 1,200 kids MAX, that should allow for a full field and track. But let me be clear here, they are putting in 2 gyms in the new building, plus a wrestling room. Amazing that they have no room to put a football field on the grounds, but they can put a wrestling room in.

While Garfield football may never be or get back to anywhere near where it was not so long ago, the brain-numbing decisions these people downtown are making is guaranteeing that Garfield has no chance to succeed. They have a Superintendent that speaks out of both sides of his mouth, a BOE that cannot make a decision and stick to it, and an athletic director that doesn't, or will not, stand up for anything in athletics, and never has. Ever since the decision to close Kenmore and combine it with Garfield, the AD has not made any decisions and always reverts back to the unknowing victim claiming no one ever told him anything. That means one of two things is correct then: 1) The BOE and the Administration has absolutely no respect or use for the AD for the APS and do not feel he need to be informed of anything because sports don't matter in APS (which has been known for a long time in APS, except at Buchtel); or 2) the AD is really not doing much of anything and padding his retirement.

Some will say I need a snicker bar, and I will take one, but I recall when all the schools in APS were treated evenly and fairly, but that has been a pretty long time ago. These decisions the BOE is making now really will have no effect on the kids for the next 4-5 years. This supposed building will not be ready until then. It is for the future kids that will know their district gives 2 craps about them having a shake and opportunity to play sports and compete on level playing field. But hey, that is okay, any student that is an athlete will continue to get gobbled up y Hoban, or StV, or open enroll to Coventry. There is no reason this combination of schools cannot field a competitive team on the field of most sports, but with this decision on not having a football field at the school is asinine.

You want to discuss the success of the schools in APS that do not have a field on the school grounds and see how great they have been?? Ok, let's look at Kenmore and Central-Hower. C-H is closed, but before that, with the exception of about a 5-6 year window, they stunk. Their field is at Old Forge. Kenmore has stunk in the last 40 years as well, with the exception of about 5-6 years mixed in, and they have about a half-mile treck to their practice field from the school. It just doesn't work out. But once again, the APS BOE wants to tell us they are going to build a complex on Wilbeth Road where Roswell Kent still stand, 2 years after it closed. Nobody want to go up there for practice of any outdoor sport, a mile or more from the school. Get a clue.

Now I am going to go enjoy 4 Snicker bars and a 12-pack of Busch Light.
Old 03-17-19, 03:44 PM
All World

Not every decision is about athletics. And as for size of the school, maybe there's a plan to close a school or two and that extra space would be needed? Can't consolidate if there's no room at the new school
Old 03-17-19, 08:51 PM
All District

ceebass13 is on a distinguished road
I can understand the frustration. I watched a Garfield game last year and it was pretty obvious they are struggling. I hope things turn around and APS can help get this program back on track.
Old 03-17-19, 11:51 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Moeller doesn’t have a football stadium, fyi
Old 03-18-19, 05:22 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Macomber had a field to practice. 30 yards of it on I-75. Reason Chuck Webb was so quick.
Old 03-18-19, 04:48 PM
All District

Sykotek,

It is understandable that not every decision is about athletics, but in the APS, there are no decisions made that make any sense. This is going to be the final high school built, all of the others have been rebuilt, so if they decide to close another high school, it will be one that is less than 4 years old. How much sense will that make?? So it is not about allotting space for the influx of another school being closed, it is just mind-numbing stupidity than has been a standard in the ASPS ever since Conrad Ott retired.

But hey, on the positive side, maybe the wrestling room can be converted in the fall to a 20-yard indoor scrimmage area for the football team.
Old 03-18-19, 06:13 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver of Hope View Post
Sykotek,

It is understandable that not every decision is about athletics, but in the APS, there are no decisions made that make any sense. This is going to be the final high school built, all of the others have been rebuilt, so if they decide to close another high school, it will be one that is less than 4 years old. How much sense will that make?? So it is not about allotting space for the influx of another school being closed, it is just mind-numbing stupidity than has been a standard in the ASPS ever since Conrad Ott retired.

But hey, on the positive side, maybe the wrestling room can be converted in the fall to a 20-yard indoor scrimmage area for the football team.
That's called a "Sunk Cost Fallacy". Spending money just because you've already spent money isn't a wise idea. Yes, APS messed up replacing all(most) schools rather than consolidating them. But if you're going the wrong way it's best to not keep going the wrong way. Even if it means taking a loss if the 20-30 year long term fix is better.
Old 03-19-19, 07:43 AM
All District

Yes, the APS doesn't give 2 craps because everyone down there will be retired and moved away from Akron and will not have to live with the mess they created. They refused to make difficult decisions 10-12 years ago when they started this new school building boom, and here they are down to having no money to do anything. LEt's eliminate one of the 2 gymnasiums they are putting in the new school, that will surely provide enough ground to have a field there.
Old 03-19-19, 08:09 AM
All World

BigWorm can only hope to improve
North isnt built