Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-17-19, 10:26 AM
Freshman

GCLFanboy1972 is on a distinguished road
2019 Miami Valley Conference

A few new teams entering/exiting the fold this upcoming season. Thoughts on the favorites? Best/worst returning team? From what I hear, itís CHCAís league to lose again.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-19, 09:34 AM
All American

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCLFanboy1972 View Post
A few new teams entering/exiting the fold this upcoming season. Thoughts on the favorites? Best/worst returning team? From what I hear, itís CHCAís league to lose again.
Will be interested to see how Bacon and Purcell stand up to CHCA.

I think RB will put up more of a challenge than Purcell. Purcell and Summit are pretty evenly matched based on their head to head games over the past few years. Summit has not fared too well against CHCA historically so I wouldn't expect the Cavs to do much better.

The Spartans will have a D1 Power 5 level recruit in their backfield that could possibly score from any place on the field-especially playing D4-D5 and lower teams.

Not sure what is coming back in the Gray. New Miami, Dayton Christian and Clark would be my guesses as contenders.
Old 02-19-19, 09:41 AM
All Region

dhs22p is on a distinguished road
With the latest additions to the league the setup is now this:

Scarlet:
CHCA, Dayton Christian, Norwood, Purcell Marian, Roger Bacon & Summit CD

Grey:
CCPA, Cincinnati CD, Clark, Lockland, NCH, New Miami, MVCA & St Bernard.
Old 02-19-19, 09:44 AM
All Region

dhs22p is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhs22p View Post
With the latest additions to the league the setup is now this:

Scarlet:
CHCA, Dayton Christian, Norwood, Purcell Marian, Roger Bacon & Summit CD

Grey:
CCPA, Cincinnati CD, Clark, Lockland, NCH, New Miami, MVCA & St Bernard.
What's most interesting is that as of now Dayton Christian only has 2 teams from their division on their schedule (Summit & Purcell). So I wonder what is going on with that.
Old 02-20-19, 10:35 AM
All District

TR1982 is on a distinguished road
will CCD have a team?
Old 02-25-19, 08:44 AM
Freshman

Purcell and Summit have been close over the years, and if I’m not mistaken, both have some talent returning this upcoming season. Corey Kiner is pretty legit, but other than him I am not sure who Roger Bacon returns? Purcell was 6th in offense and 3rd in defense, while Bacon was 5th in offense and last place on D.
Old 02-25-19, 06:44 PM
All American

hdvhsmgr is on a distinguished road
Some scheduling shuffling might be occurring. Arbiter is showing both of New Miami's previously shown opponents for Weeks 2 and 3 now have new games.
Old 02-27-19, 01:01 PM
Freshman

Titan16 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Purcell and Summit have been close over the years, and if Iím not mistaken, both have some talent returning this upcoming season. Corey Kiner is pretty legit, but other than him I am not sure who Roger Bacon returns? Purcell was 6th in offense and 3rd in defense, while Bacon was 5th in offense and last place on D.
Corey Kiner shoulld have a great season in the MVC. Roger Bacon is having 40 plus kids to off season weight lifting. They have several legit linemen. I think their offense will be fine.

The key to the season will be how the "D" holds up. If the defense comes around, they will be a factor in the MVC. Right now it belongs to CHCA until someone takes it away. I think Roger Bacon has a chance to do that.
Old 02-27-19, 04:10 PM
All American

I know CCS dropped football a few years ago because of such low numbers.

Has the MVC granted them a pass from having to restart their program to keep membership in the conference?
Old 02-28-19, 01:42 PM
All Region

FreeFromGreen is on a distinguished road
I know we have a long time until football season - but I am really excited about the MVC this year. RB and PM are great additions to the league

This has been CHCA's league for so long (11 MVC champs or co-champs in 18 years - including 6 straight) that getting some new blood and great traditional programs will raise the level for all the teams.

I am not knowledgeable enough on the new guys to make any predictions...any fans of those two want to give us a scouting report on what to expect?
Old 02-28-19, 01:47 PM
All American

America is an unknown quantity at this point
The addition of these two schools will be short lived. Roger Bacon should roll through this conference. Nobody in the MVC is going to stop Kiner. Even though RB and PM were on the low bottom of the GCL, no one in the MVC would compete except maybe CHCA. Teams like Alter and CJ would score 56 points by half time.
Old 03-04-19, 08:59 AM
Freshman

Easy to say, but we wonít know until August. What has Bacon done recently, other than disappoint? Even with Kiner. Numbers donít lie, and football is a team sport. That being said, I hope they can improve and become formidable consistently. Iím hoping that this will get Purcell some traction as well, because they usually have some decent talent at the school. Dave Wirth is doing a good job there from what I gather.
Old 03-04-19, 09:57 AM
Freshman

Titan16 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Easy to say, but we wonít know until August. What has Bacon done recently, other than disappoint? Even with Kiner. Numbers donít lie, and football is a team sport. That being said, I hope they can improve and become formidable consistently. Iím hoping that this will get Purcell some traction as well, because they usually have some decent talent at the school. Dave Wirth is doing a good job there from what I gather.
You are correct. Football is a team sport. I believe Roger Bacon is working hard as a Team to get better. They have nice numbers coming to workouts. They are putting the work in that's for sure. Hopefully that will pay off for them this fall. C.H.C.A. has dominated the MVC due to the fact that they out work every one else.

It will be intersting to see how the two new teams in the league stack up. Like I have said before, the MVC belongs to CHCA until someone takes it away from them. I believe Bacon has the team to do it. There is certainly more talent there than just Kiner. Time will tell. I like Bacon's chances against the teams of the MVC.
Old 03-04-19, 01:18 PM
All Ohio

NewOldBlood is on a distinguished road
Quote:
As a GCL fan, I'm sure you know there is a huge difference between the quality of football in the GCL and the MVC. I believe Bacon will at worst be the 2nd best team in the league. Outside of CHCA, the quality of teams in the league is very low.
Old 03-07-19, 10:38 AM
Freshman

Certainly, I am just begging the question and stirring the pot. In all seriousness, it's more to open the discussion up. I do think from what little I do know, Purcell and Bacon will certainly be able to compete immediately for the league title. I am curious to see what current members think though.
Old 03-07-19, 10:01 PM
All Region

FreeFromGreen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOldBlood View Post
As a GCL fan, I'm sure you know there is a huge difference between the quality of football in the GCL and the MVC. I believe Bacon will at worst be the 2nd best team in the league. Outside of CHCA, the quality of teams in the league is very low.
HUGE difference. No debate at all.

as a CHCA fan, I am excited because honestly, the Eagles havent lost a league game since 2011, and they are 99-10 over the last 18 years in conference play (one a forfeit and they lost 5 to NCH over 7 years when NCH was really really good)

so they have dominated this league - and that is why CHCA has ramped up their non-conf schedule to include Indian Hill, Wyoming, Fenwick, Greeneview, Bishop Ready, Taft, Goshen, New Richmond and Little Miami over the last handful of seasons.

I am really excited to see PM and RB play against CHCA. For the first time i a long time, there is competitive at the top.

And I have heard this Kiner is awesome and I cannot wait to watch him play!
Old 03-08-19, 09:08 AM
All American

Going off of recent performance, I think Bacon will have more success immediately than Purcell as I put the Cavs on a similar level as Summit CD (the two have been playing the in the battle of Madison Road for a couple years now with a pretty evenly split record).

CHCA is still the boss until proven otherwise.
Old 03-13-19, 07:31 AM
Freshman

Projection

1. CHCA
2. Roger Bacon
3. Miami Valley Christian
4. Purcell
5. Summit
6. The Field
Old 03-13-19, 08:16 AM
All American

Quote:
Projection

1. CHCA
2. Roger Bacon
3. Miami Valley Christian
4. Purcell
5. Summit
6. The Field
The Field=Norwood? Isn't Dayton Christian going to be in this division, too?
Old 03-13-19, 08:30 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post
The Field=Norwood? Isn't Dayton Christian going to be in this division, too?
The field is the field. I am not very familiar with some of the teams, but it's a guess. I might be wrong but I've heard that Dayton Christian was going to a different league?
Old 03-13-19, 11:00 AM
All District

natihsfan is on a distinguished road
Will CCD have enough players to field a team and play a full season?
Old 03-14-19, 01:46 PM
Freshman

JohnnyComeLately is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The field is the field. I am not very familiar with some of the teams, but it's a guess. I might be wrong but I've heard that Dayton Christian was going to a different league?
I have a son who played at DC. Word is that they didn't want to play the two GCL teams and D4 Norwood. The league told them they either had to play all the games or they would be kicked out of the league. DC said no thanks. As a mid-sized D6 school with 25-30 players, it didn't make sense to be playing all D4 and D5 schools with between 50 and 75 players. As a result, they have been kicked out of the league.
Old 03-15-19, 09:19 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyComeLately View Post
I have a son who played at DC. Word is that they didn't want to play the two GCL teams and D4 Norwood. The league told them they either had to play all the games or they would be kicked out of the league. DC said no thanks. As a mid-sized D6 school with 25-30 players, it didn't make sense to be playing all D4 and D5 schools with between 50 and 75 players. As a result, they have been kicked out of the league.
Frustrating situation, but, as a football-only affiliate, they probably didn't have much pull with the full members. Does kind of stink that they had their hands forced. Definitely some pretty big gaps in size in football for all of the conference members, hence the Scarlet and Gray divisions but I guess at some point there are schools caught in the middle. Don't think this would have happened to CCD or Summit.

But, if the option was the play a lot of games against deeper teams that would likely result in a lot of defeats and likely, injuries, maybe the best option.

Question is-will they be able to fill a schedule at this point? Will probably have to play on the road a lot with a pretty spread out schedule?!
Old 03-15-19, 09:29 AM
Freshman

JohnnyComeLately is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OUcats82 View Post

Question is-will they be able to fill a schedule at this point? Will probably have to play on the road a lot with a pretty spread out schedule?!
2019 Schedule is almost set. Finalizing week 4. But from what I understand it is a good schedule for DC.

Hopefully they can pick up a different conference affiliation or rejoin the MVC at some point in the future. It'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

The interesting thing that you mentioned is that CCD cancelled all league games in 2018 two weeks before the season started, and they get a slap on the wrist. They even cancelled their game against MVCA, which had about 15 players, then rescheduled a game against Dohn Academy in its place! DC asked to cancel 3 games over a year out and gets kicked out of the league. Does seem to be disproportionate. Being a football only school does seem to have its disadvantages!
Old 03-15-19, 10:05 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyComeLately View Post
2019 Schedule is almost set. Finalizing week 4. But from what I understand it is a good schedule for DC.

Hopefully they can pick up a different conference affiliation or rejoin the MVC at some point in the future. It'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

The interesting thing that you mentioned is that CCD cancelled all league games in 2018 two weeks before the season started, and they get a slap on the wrist. They even cancelled their game against MVCA, which had about 15 players, then rescheduled a game against Dohn Academy in its place! DC asked to cancel 3 games over a year out and gets kicked out of the league. Does seem to be disproportionate. Being a football only school does seem to have its disadvantages!
Glad to hear they are filling out their schedule.

Seems like the Metro Buckeye is a good fit for them in all other sports. Just about maybe half the teams who have football in that league (Jefferson Township and Troy Christian with Middletown Christian (as a club sport)?