Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-14-19, 09:43 PM
All District

FeartheRooster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
Tell us how you really feel. Cuz it’s seems a little odd a position coach was picked as the HC when Troy has an OC that everyone felt was the perfect choice. I wonder how many applicants there even was
‘Everyone’ except the people on the hiring committee. Hilarious you think OC’s make the best coaches because they are the latest trend. You need to learn to stop reading so much into the yappi press. I guess we’ll chalk it up to your age. Hard to see things when you’re 21.
Old 03-15-19, 07:53 AM
All American

TheBenchwarmer is on a distinguished road
Spurned assistants can become a liability and start chipping away at things internally. I think we have a real combustible situation in the making at Troy. Wouldn’t be shocked to see a few guys peel away and join Tipp now that they were not named HC. Hard to not like where Vandalia is sitting.
Old 03-15-19, 08:07 AM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBenchwarmer View Post
Spurned assistants can become a liability and start chipping away at things internally. I think we have a real combustible situation in the making at Troy. Wouldn’t be shocked to see a few guys peel away and join Tipp now that they were not named HC. Hard to not like where Vandalia is sitting.
What in the hell are you talking about man.
Old 03-15-19, 08:29 AM
All American

blahblah4everything is on a distinguished road
Congrats to Danny and Troy, I expect that'll he'll lead with the same maturity, focus, and dedication that he displayed as a player.
Old 03-15-19, 09:05 AM
All District

Groundhog Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBenchwarmer View Post
The only one who really "might be spurned" is Wright but since they stayed in house he probably will stay in his current position. There weren't as many applicants as some people thought for this job and it sounds like a good hire rather than bringing in an outsider and maybe changing everything. As with ALL hires, time will tell.
Old 03-15-19, 09:14 AM
All Yappi

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog Day View Post
The only one who really "might be spurned" is Wright but since they stayed in house he probably will stay in his current position. There weren't as many applicants as some people thought for this job and it sounds like a good hire rather than bringing in an outsider and maybe changing everything. As with ALL hires, time will tell.
It's not just that. There have been rumors stating that Wright wants to eventually go back to coaching in College and doesn't see Troy as his final destination job. While he would've been my 1st or 2nd choice, I also think Gress is a good pick. He's got familiarity with the system and players.
Old 03-16-19, 11:08 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
It's not just that. There have been rumors stating that Wright wants to eventually go back to coaching in College and doesn't see Troy as his final destination job. While he would've been my 1st or 2nd choice, I also think Gress is a good pick. He's got familiarity with the system and players.
Where have you heard this? I’d say that would be a leap of faith after getting passed up on two HC jobs. Clearly there is some disconnect of flaw there. I wonder what it is, being in the community I don’t really hear anything too negative about the guy.
Old 03-16-19, 03:52 PM
All Ohio

Ballboy000 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog Day View Post
It was smart of Troy in my opinion to stay in house if they keep their staff together which is still an outstanding staff even without the Burgbachers. Gress is a protege of Lance Schneider & Matt Burgbacher so will probably not change anything scheme wise from what Troy has been doing. Wright is a very good coordinator & a future head coach in his own right. Hard to beat the combination of Manson (LBers) & Merkert (DB's) on the defensive side. Gress will need to replace himself with a DL coach, but it is not like he is not going to be on the practice field or sidelines himself. Should be business as usual at Troy with the Trojans continuing to have the best defensive team in the league.
Old 03-17-19, 07:47 AM
Freshman

bobcat44 is on a distinguished road
Nice hire....now let’s see what Troy can accomplish without the man from Tipp
Old 03-19-19, 06:38 AM
All Region

OHFball10 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeartheRooster View Post
Where have you heard this? I’d say that would be a leap of faith after getting passed up on two HC jobs. Clearly there is some disconnect of flaw there. I wonder what it is, being in the community I don’t really hear anything too negative about the guy.
I know that for a fact. Tyler's long term goal is to coach in college, not high school. I have no idea what his timeline is for getting back into college coaching, but that's definitely where he wants to end up. He has enough connections at the DIII level to find a spot somewhere eventually.

The challenge at the DIII level will be getting paid enough. A teacher/coach in high school pays more than assistant/OC jobs at the DIII level in most cases. He has a few DI connections, but those would obviously be tougher to get and have a lot of competition. They would, however, be great references to get him in the door for a chance at some jobs.
Old 03-20-19, 08:52 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHFball10 View Post
I know that for a fact. Tyler's long term goal is to coach in college, not high school. I have no idea what his timeline is for getting back into college coaching, but that's definitely where he wants to end up. He has enough connections at the DIII level to find a spot somewhere eventually.

The challenge at the DIII level will be getting paid enough. A teacher/coach in high school pays more than assistant/OC jobs at the DIII level in most cases. He has a few DI connections, but those would obviously be tougher to get and have a lot of competition. They would, however, be great references to get him in the door for a chance at some jobs.
I hear what your saying. DIII jobs are very easy to come by if you’ll take the pay cut. I think what his biggest issue/challenge would be getting a job and having to coach the available spot and have to learn. In HS it’s easy to kind of write your own path. College ball they need to fill a spot so either your with them or not. Unfortunately you have to pay dues and climb slowly, it’s a long, beaten path to get college respect on your name.
Anyone who has been around college ball knows some of the jokers they let be GA’s and even position coaches. Anyone can get a job, climbing is hard though.