Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-13-19, 11:38 AM
All Ohio

Rangerfan is on a distinguished road
First Soccer Style Kickers

I am researching the first soccer style kickers in the NFL, college and high school.

In professional football, Pete Gogolak was the first such kicker with the AFL’s Bills in 1964. However, I also came across Illinois halfback Paul Douglass, who after graduating Illinois tried out for the New York Giants in 1953. Part of Douglass' tryout was as a kicker. He was described as a standout at Illinois as a defensive back and occasional kickoff man. His kicking style was the byproduct of being of “being one of the better soccer players from the St. Louis area.”

I am still looking for proof if Douglass actually kicked soccer style at Illinois or at high school before that.

For high school, the earliest I have found so far is Albert Burger, a German exchange student from Berg, Germany who played placekicker for Minster in 1951.

If anyone out there knows of other early soccer style placekickers, I would appreciate the input.

Last edited by Rangerfan; 03-13-19 at 03:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-19, 02:28 PM
All Ohio

Cali_Eagle is on a distinguished road
I recall reading somewhere (Sorry don't recall where) that Leo Strang had a soccer style kicker at East Cleveland Shaw when he was the HC there (before he moved on to Massillon and then to Kent State). This would have been mid to early 1950's but it sounds like the two you have already found would pre-date Strang's kicker at Shaw.
Old 03-18-19, 12:00 PM
All Ohio

I received word back from the Sports Information department at the University of Illinois, and they have no record nor memory of Paul Douglass ever kicking for the Illini football team.

So, I am still looking for records of the first college soccer style kicker, and if anyone in high school was earlier than Albert Burger in 1951.
Old 03-18-19, 01:56 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
The first college soccer style kicker I could locate is Fred Bednarski who kicked for the Texas Longhorns in 1957. He was a Pole who, as a youngster, spent 3 years in a Nazi labor camp in Austria. He learned to kick soccer-style by playing soccer with other inmates using a ball fashioned from rolled up socks. After the War, he relocated to the US and went to Texas in 1956 where he ended up as the kicker. From what I can find, on October 19, 1957, Bednarski kicked the first-ever "soccer-style" field goal in college football history, a 38-yarder against Arkansas. If this story is not true, it should be....
Old 03-18-19, 02:08 PM
All Ohio

YTOWN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
The first college soccer style kicker I could locate is Fred Bednarski who kicked for the Texas Longhorns in 1957. He was a Pole who, as a youngster, spent 3 years in a Nazi labor camp in Austria. He learned to kick soccer-style by playing soccer with other inmates using a ball fashioned from rolled up socks. After the War, he relocated to the US and went to Texas in 1956 where he ended up as the kicker. From what I can find, on October 19, 1957, Bednarski kicked the first-ever "soccer-style" field goal in college football history, a 38-yarder against Arkansas. If this story is not true, it should be....
For what it's worth everything I ever saw about the subject credited Mr. Bednarski as the guy that introduced soccer style place kicking to college football.
Old 03-18-19, 02:53 PM
All Ohio

Thanks, guys!
Old 03-18-19, 04:12 PM
All District

yipyap is on a distinguished road
I knew Ytown would know b
Old 03-18-19, 05:27 PM
All Ohio

YTOWN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yipyap View Post
I knew Ytown would know b
I only know what I read. I never saw him kick. The first one I saw kick was the aforementioned Pete Gogolak with Buffalo. Thinking about it now I remember one game in particular featuring the Gogolak name.

I became a Redskins fan growing up because while Jimmy Brown was THE MAN Bobby Mitchell was my favorite player on the Browns. They traded Mr. Mitchell to the Skins for the rights to draft Ernie Davis. I was 10 years old and I started rooting for the Skins.

A few years later the Redskins drafted Charlie Gogolak, Pete's younger brother, out of Princeton. I think he was the 1st placekicker ever drafted in the 1st round. By that time Pete was with the NY Giants. Later that same year the Skins beat the Giants 72-41 and the Gogolaks combined for 14 PATs. I think Charlie had 9 and Pete 5 but I'm sure they had 14 between them.

As you know yipyap growing up in this area when we did not many teams even kicked PATs or FGs and those that did were straight on kickers. Who was the first soccer style kicker you ever saw in high school? I don't even know who the 1st I saw was. I'll have to think about it.