Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-08-19, 08:14 AM
ontheborder ontheborder is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 03-01-19
Posts: 8
ontheborder is on a distinguished road
State of Tri-County North Football

It's March 8th and TCN still doesn't have a head coach. What is going on with this program? They won the conference in 2014 and went 6-4 last year. Heard there is no youth program. Does anyone have any insight?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 03-08-19, 10:21 AM
BucksFan937 BucksFan937 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 05-10-16
Location: Southwestern Ohio
Posts: 222
BucksFan937 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheborder View Post
It's March 8th and TCN still doesn't have a head coach. What is going on with this program? They won the conference in 2014 and went 6-4 last year. Heard there is no youth program. Does anyone have any insight?
I was surprised when the head coach stepped down, I thought he would be there for a long time. I do know that they did not have a youth program last year, but I think that is a good thing. They lost a very good Senior class and I think they are looking at a couple down years for TCN standards. They have traditionally been good, and looking at the new league that will be in starting in the fall of 2020/2021, they should be one of the top football schools. I expect there to be some interest in this position and they will probably fill it with a good hire.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-08-19, 10:36 AM
troyboy73 troyboy73 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-05
Location: springfield
Posts: 3,685
troyboy73 is on a distinguished road
They should merge with Twin Valley South
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-08-19, 10:44 AM
ontheborder ontheborder is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 03-01-19
Posts: 8
ontheborder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucksFan937 View Post
I was surprised when the head coach stepped down, I thought he would be there for a long time. I do know that they did not have a youth program last year, but I think that is a good thing. They lost a very good Senior class and I think they are looking at a couple down years for TCN standards. They have traditionally been good, and looking at the new league that will be in starting in the fall of 2020/2021, they should be one of the top football schools. I expect there to be some interest in this position and they will probably fill it with a good hire.
Why do you feel that not having a youth program was a good idea?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-08-19, 11:01 AM
Baseballfan20 Baseballfan20 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-20-11
Posts: 432
Baseballfan20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheborder View Post
Why do you feel that not having a youth program was a good idea?
I fully agree with this one. I feel the youth program runs more kids off then teaches correct fundamentals. More worried about winning now then when it matters in HS. How many PeeWee Super Bowls have been won and besides the recent 4 year run of playoff appearances (11-14) there has been very little to show for it at the HS level.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-08-19, 11:16 AM
BucksFan937 BucksFan937 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 05-10-16
Location: Southwestern Ohio
Posts: 222
BucksFan937 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseballfan20 View Post
I fully agree with this one. I feel the youth program runs more kids off then teaches correct fundamentals. More worried about winning now then when it matters in HS. How many PeeWee Super Bowls have been won and besides the recent 4 year run of playoff appearances (11-14) there has been very little to show for it at the HS level.
I agree with this 100%. I am not saying that it's a bad thing for all kids, but I do think it can do more bad then good. Look at the MAC schools for example, no pee wee programs there, and their kids start football in the 7th grade. I just think the pee wee football programs are a lot of times run by parents more focused on winning, and can build false expectations for when the kids grow up. I've seen it too many times. I've talked to many people in the TCN community that thought it was a good thing that they didn't have a pee wee program last year because of the way it was going with the kids.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-08-19, 12:12 PM
ontheborder ontheborder is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 03-01-19
Posts: 8
ontheborder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucksFan937 View Post
I agree with this 100%. I am not saying that it's a bad thing for all kids, but I do think it can do more bad then good. Look at the MAC schools for example, no pee wee programs there, and their kids start football in the 7th grade. I just think the pee wee football programs are a lot of times run by parents more focused on winning, and can build false expectations for when the kids grow up. I've seen it too many times. I've talked to many people in the TCN community that thought it was a good thing that they didn't have a pee wee program last year because of the way it was going with the kids.
This is definitely something I hadn't thought about that. The MAC is a premier small school conference. What is the communities expectations of the high school team then? I know that the previous coach before the guy that left was pretty popular.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-08-19, 04:00 PM
BucksFan937 BucksFan937 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 05-10-16
Location: Southwestern Ohio
Posts: 222
BucksFan937 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheborder View Post
This is definitely something I hadn't thought about that. The MAC is a premier small school conference. What is the communities expectations of the high school team then? I know that the previous coach before the guy that left was pretty popular.
As for TCN I would say there is a whole lot of expectation with their football program. I know that the Senior class won a ton of games when they were in the pee wee levels. I am not saying that it's wrong to have some sort of expectations, but sometimes it can create bad situations when the coaches and parents see things completely different.

It will be interesting to see if TCN brings back youth football again. It was my understanding that they could have joined the CCC league but didn't want to. They have always played in the SWBL league where there is individual 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th grade teams. The CCC is better for schools that may not have high numbers because there is a combined 3rd/4th grade team and a combined 5th/6th grade team.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-08-19, 04:23 PM
Baseballfan20 Baseballfan20 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-20-11
Posts: 432
Baseballfan20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheborder View Post
This is definitely something I hadn't thought about that. The MAC is a premier small school conference. What is the communities expectations of the high school team then? I know that the previous coach before the guy that left was pretty popular.
Expectations: Good team = everyone in town on the hill on Friday night.
Get waxed like they did vs Covington last year = empty seats the next Friday.
Everyone loves a winner. Guess the new conference will help keep the blowouts to a min. Whenever the new conference starts you will be taking 3L of the schedule and they will then play TV, Dixie, & Shawnee. My guess they go 2-1 vs those 3 every year just based on talent alone.
Heck when was the last time TCN was involved in an upset on either side. 99% of the time when they play the team you thought was going to win before the game ends up winning it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-08-19, 10:24 PM
joe51391 joe51391 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-30-16
Posts: 102
joe51391 is on a distinguished road
This program is in shambles for sure. With the right hire they could be right in the thick of it when new conference begins. This coming year they will be hard pressed to win 3 games and as everyone knows I'm a homer. We used to have one of the best peewee programs around and now it's been run into the ground. The discipline and pride that was at the school a few years ago when coach D had them is gone. We had a team that should've won the CCC last year fall to 6-4 with 95% of the production leaving. They have nobody in open gyms and a highly overrated sophomore class that has a cocky attitude. It will take at least 2 years for them to be back to a top tier team again.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-09-19, 04:10 PM
ontheborder ontheborder is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 03-01-19
Posts: 8
ontheborder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe51391 View Post
This program is in shambles for sure. With the right hire they could be right in the thick of it when new conference begins. This coming year they will be hard pressed to win 3 games and as everyone knows I'm a homer. We used to have one of the best peewee programs around and now it's been run into the ground. The discipline and pride that was at the school a few years ago when coach D had them is gone. We had a team that should've won the CCC last year fall to 6-4 with 95% of the production leaving. They have nobody in open gyms and a highly overrated sophomore class that has a cocky attitude. It will take at least 2 years for them to be back to a top tier team again.
Who is running all of their off-season programs! Seems they will be way behind the 8 ball when the new coach gets hired
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-09-19, 04:59 PM
joe51391 joe51391 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-30-16
Posts: 102
joe51391 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheborder View Post
Who is running all of their off-season programs! Seems they will be way behind the 8 ball when the new coach gets hired
From what I've been told nobody.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-09-19, 05:23 PM
StateChampion2012 StateChampion2012 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 04-14-17
Location: Coldwater
Posts: 2,192
StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheborder View Post
This is definitely something I hadn't thought about that. The MAC is a premier small school conference. What is the communities expectations of the high school team then? I know that the previous coach before the guy that left was pretty popular.
Another thing our football schools have is no Boys Soccer to steal away athletes. Not sure if TCN has that or not.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-09-19, 07:38 PM
Blue Jay Fan Blue Jay Fan is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 01-04-03
Location: Delphos
Posts: 1,009
Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucksFan937 View Post
Look at the MAC schools for example, no pee wee programs there, and their kids start football in the 7th grade.
Delphos has four midget football teams made up of a mix of St. John's and Jefferson kids. DSJ has six state titles in football. Jefferson none. Midget football has no correlation in the success or failure of high school varsity football. A good varsity coach means everything.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-09-19, 09:57 PM
Spartan119 Spartan119 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 03-12-15
Posts: 419
Spartan119 is on a distinguished road
I would say the over whelming majority of successful high school programs have solid pee wee programs. The Mac is probably the exception not the rule. In our league the last few years SWBL which includes Clinton massie massie Madison VV are top programs and the varsity success speaks for itself. I think you will have a tough time overtaken prebble Shawnee in football based on what they have done in cross over games with your league. I also expect Dixie to finish above 500. Did you guys lose your DC to Carlisle? Was he a candidate for the head coaching position?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-10-19, 03:10 PM
Baseballfan20 Baseballfan20 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-20-11
Posts: 432
Baseballfan20 is on a distinguished road
Pee Wee football can be fun and a chance to enjoy and learn to love the game. I just dont feel like that was what it was about at TCN. Way to many athletic bodies quitting by the time they left for MS & HS. I'm sure for a multitude of reasons but I'm sure spending your fall running around the park for more than half of practice isnt fun for most. I would love to see a flag league for all under 7th grade. This would help learn the basics of the game and give all players the opportunity to have the ball in their hands.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-10-19, 06:36 PM
FrogBear59 FrogBear59 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-12-10
Posts: 1,023
FrogBear59 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyboy73 View Post
They should merge with Twin Valley South
They tried that back in the 70s or 80s. The way I understand it, the discussion was to build a school on 503. Legend has it that they couldn't agree on the location. Both towns didn't like the proposed locations because one was closer to Lewisburg and one was closer West Alexandria. I kind of like them separate. I graduated from North and it's a great small town rivalry.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-10-19, 06:51 PM
Weiskittle Weiskittle is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 06-24-11
Posts: 245
Weiskittle is on a distinguished road
I would think once the new league start they would be a constant front runner in football at least.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-10-19, 07:16 PM
Baseballfan20 Baseballfan20 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-20-11
Posts: 432
Baseballfan20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogBear59 View Post
They tried that back in the 70s or 80s. The way I understand it, the discussion was to build a school on 503. Legend has it that they couldn't agree on the location. Both towns didn't like the proposed locations because one was closer to Lewisburg and one was closer West Alexandria. I kind of like them separate. I graduated from North and it's a great small town rivalry.
The rivalry isn't what it used to be. In the boys sports there is just to much one sidedness to get up about any of the games.
Football - North
Basketball - South
Baseball - North
Track - South

Not to mention with the social media age all of the kids are now friends and there is a little less "hate" involved for each school.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-10-19, 07:58 PM
joe51391 joe51391 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-30-16
Posts: 102
joe51391 is on a distinguished road
They will never merge so stop! If any schools merge it will be all of Preble county and almost everyone would hate that.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-11-19, 06:37 AM
ontheborder ontheborder is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 03-01-19
Posts: 8
ontheborder is on a distinguished road
Joe,
You seem to have a lot of great insight into the program, do you where they are in the hiring process? It's getting pretty late, summer is coming and I'm sure the new coach wants to get in and get his program started.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-11-19, 07:11 AM
joe51391 joe51391 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-30-16
Posts: 102
joe51391 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheborder View Post
Joe,
You seem to have a lot of great insight into the program, do you where they are in the hiring process? It's getting pretty late, summer is coming and I'm sure the new coach wants to get in and get his program started.
The last I heard was they were still interviewing. Yes they are very behind because coach Wright for whatever reason stepped down late.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-11-19, 08:57 AM
ontheborder ontheborder is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 03-01-19
Posts: 8
ontheborder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe51391 View Post
The last I heard was they were still interviewing. Yes they are very behind because coach Wright for whatever reason stepped down late.
hopefully they can get this wrapped up quickly. Maybe a return to the sidelines for Coach D? For this programs sake I hope they make a great hire! need to have them running at full strength when the new conference starts whenever that may be!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-11-19, 11:12 AM
joe51391 joe51391 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 07-30-16
Posts: 102
joe51391 is on a distinguished road
I've never seen the program top to bottom in this bad of shape. For a school that gets 35-50 every year I don't see where they get the numbers.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-12-19, 06:33 AM
BucksFan937 BucksFan937 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 05-10-16
Location: Southwestern Ohio
Posts: 222
BucksFan937 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe51391 View Post
I've never seen the program top to bottom in this bad of shape. For a school that gets 35-50 every year I don't see where they get the numbers.
TCN has always been a very prideful school with football and you are right, they usually have 35-50 every year. We will see if that continues with the state of the program currently. Looking at the schedule for this year below, it could be sub .500 season at TCN.

Lewisburg Tri-County North
08/30 A Brookville
09/06 H Miamisburg Dayton Christian
09/13 A Tipp City Bethel
09/20 H Casstown Miami East
09/27 A New Paris National Trail
10/04 H West Alexandria Twin Valley South
10/11 H Arcanum
10/18 A Ansonia
10/25 A Covington
11/01 H Fort Loramie
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-12-19, 09:42 AM
ontheborder ontheborder is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 03-01-19
Posts: 8
ontheborder is on a distinguished road
From everything I've seen on this post, I hope the administration and community give the new coach some wiggle room and allow him the opportunity to take this program into the new conference in 1 or 2 years. Seems like may be a down year or two, but then can have a lot of success when the new conference begins play.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-12-19, 11:56 AM
Baseballfan20 Baseballfan20 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-20-11
Posts: 432
Baseballfan20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheborder View Post
From everything I've seen on this post, I hope the administration and community give the new coach some wiggle room and allow him the opportunity to take this program into the new conference in 1 or 2 years. Seems like may be a down year or two, but then can have a lot of success when the new conference begins play.
When you say success you mean playing teams with less talent. If anyone is paying attention then the expectations will only get higher. They will lose to Brookville for the foreseeable future but its a big gate so that game isnt going anywhere. I feel like PS will run the conference to be named later when it comes to football. After that not to many in Lewisburg are going to feel like the Panthers should be losing to anyone in that league. So that leave expectations at 8-2 until they all kick PS out of the league for being to good at football.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-12-19, 06:52 PM
FrogBear59 FrogBear59 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-12-10
Posts: 1,023
FrogBear59 is on a distinguished road
From my understanding there are 6 names in the mix as of mid February. I was unable to obtain names. From my understanding, the board is a pretty solid group of people, but that the AD lacks in a lot of areas.

As for Shawnee, they will always underacheive in football. I know from experience as I grew up playing there and transferred to North when Shawnee failed a tax levey and eliminated fall sports going into my Senior year. Shawnee for the most part has always had the athletes, but could never seem to put it altogether come HS. So unless something major has changed, I don't see them dominating football in any new league.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-13-19, 07:03 AM
BucksFan937 BucksFan937 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 05-10-16
Location: Southwestern Ohio
Posts: 222
BucksFan937 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogBear59 View Post
From my understanding there are 6 names in the mix as of mid February. I was unable to obtain names. From my understanding, the board is a pretty solid group of people, but that the AD lacks in a lot of areas.

As for Shawnee, they will always underacheive in football. I know from experience as I grew up playing there and transferred to North when Shawnee failed a tax levey and eliminated fall sports going into my Senior year. Shawnee for the most part has always had the athletes, but could never seem to put it altogether come HS. So unless something major has changed, I don't see them dominating football in any new league.
I get what you are saying, but the competition will be substantially lower in this new league in comparison to anything that you played against at either school when you were in high school. Shawnee will also now be the largest school in the entire conference. With that said I don't expect Shawnee to come out and dominate, but I think they very well could be a top 3 team in the league. At this point until I see otherwise, I still expect TCN to also be a top 3 team in the league in football. With the right hire and the tradition that there is at TCN with football, I think they will be just fine.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All-Time Playoff Scores (1972-2018) EagleFan Football 71 01-21-19 07:24 PM
D-1 state tournament retrospective McClearn7 Wrestling 13 10-04-18 09:30 AM
D-3 State Tournament Retrospective McClearn7 Wrestling 2 05-01-18 09:25 AM
D-2 state tournament retrospective McClearn7 Wrestling 4 04-07-18 02:13 PM
Waite D-3 District Rankings (Off-Season #1) McClearn7 Wrestling 15 07-22-17 10:47 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:06 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz