Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-19-18, 07:42 AM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
The Reds should sign Harvey to a 2yr/$5M deal.

He's had 4 decent outings and 3 bad ones. He has shown flashes of his old self. The above offer would be no riskier than the type of deals they've done in the last couple offseasons for guys who have far less pedigree and success.
If Harvey would ever sign a deal like that with the Reds, it means he's not pitched very well. And at that point, why have him?

I do think the Reds need to break the bank and go get a top flight #1 pitcher. I have no idea who's on the market. I just don't see any of our current young crop as drop dead #1 starters. You can win with some #3's and 4's, but we need a horse.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-18, 08:29 AM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Why break the bank when the team isnt in contention? If we were a SP away from contending for a WS I agree but we arent, and wont be for some time.
Old 06-19-18, 09:07 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Why break the bank when the team isnt in contention? If we were a SP away from contending for a WS I agree but we arent, and wont be for some time.
So Arrogate, are you only concerned with winning a world series??? I simply don't get that line of thinking. How do you ever know if you are contending if you never put pieces in place??
Yes, the Reds should not go out and sign $200 mill worth of pitching for 2019 thinking they can win the championship, but you do have to try to win, don't you?
What did Herm Edwards say..."You play to win the game".
Old 06-19-18, 10:00 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
So Arrogate, are you only concerned with winning a world series??? I simply don't get that line of thinking. How do you ever know if you are contending if you never put pieces in place??
Yes, the Reds should not go out and sign $200 mill worth of pitching for 2019 thinking they can win the championship, but you do have to try to win, don't you?
Your stupidity never ceases to amaze me.
Old 06-19-18, 10:07 AM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
This is the best troll job ever. I am mind facked every time he posts. Respect
Old 06-19-18, 10:42 AM
All World

WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
He's not a troll, he's one of the dumbest sports fans you'll ever come across. The guy is a complete moron when it comes to the concept of building a team.
Old 06-19-18, 10:45 AM
All World

Someday you guys will come around...
Old 06-19-18, 10:58 AM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You did say they should break the bank. So are you saying 'break the bank' for an ace, so we can win some more games, maybe get to .500? Is that the goal?

Of course not. Everyone who has ever competed at a high level, does so for one reason, to try to win a championship.
Old 06-19-18, 11:09 AM
All World

Quote:
Someday you guys will come around...
If it ever comes to the point where I think the end goal for a professional team isn't a championship/title, I hope to god my family euthanizes me.
Old 06-19-18, 11:33 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
14red wants the reds to break the bank on a starter. It’s funny, cause he’d comment “it’s not your money” if anyone else suggested anything like that.
Old 06-19-18, 03:13 PM
All Yappi

Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
No surprise, India w/ another RBI putting Florida up early in an elimination game. Every time I see this kid play, he always has big hits. I get the feeling he’ll be in the Bigs w/in 2 yrs.
Old 06-19-18, 04:37 PM
All Yappi

Descartes has a little shameless behaviour in the past
And he just crushed a 3 R HR.
Old 06-19-18, 06:01 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
He does look like a keeper. A lot of others have as well.
As always, patience is advisable with prospects.
Old 06-19-18, 06:43 PM
All American

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If Harvey would ever sign a deal like that with the Reds, it means he's not pitched very well. And at that point, why have him?
Well, his ERA as a Red sucks but he has shown some flashes. If you wait till he is a solid pitcher to sign him then the price will be much higher.

Harvey has to know his chances of landing a big LTC are very slim and get slimmer with every mediocre start.

That kind of Money would be comparable to Wade Miley who had a 5.61 ERA and a 1.7 WHIP prior to signing.

Sound familiar?

The difference is that Miley has never had the success that Harvey has.
Old 06-19-18, 08:14 PM
All World

Where's vamps to tell us Votto sucks for taking a strike on the first pitch before hitting a grand slam?
Old 06-20-18, 01:08 AM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Indiandad, as much as I hate to admit it, Homer Bailey will be one of the starters next year unless this "injury" somehow allows the team get his contract covered by insurance with him not playing at all next year.

The Reds have the fourth worst record in baseball and last in the National League but we're talking about them competing next year? They may end up 30 games back in the wild Card race.

Romano strung together another great outing. Don't remember him ever getting in much trouble and seems to be controlling his pitch count better over the last couple starts. Peralta had no command at all when he came in for the 9th.

Sidenote: Votto and Duvall's postgame interview may be my favorite in a long time. The discussion about their new friend, the bird that wouldn't leave the field, was golden. Joey even did a bird dance as he crossed the plate on his grand slam.
Old 06-20-18, 07:42 AM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
India can hit for sure. They say he also has a glove and arm but I've only seen him once. He plays 3B for the Gators but I've heard he can play SS, 2B, LF, RF also. Has plenty of speed.

So, if the top prospects (Senzel, India) perform as expected, we actually have a glut of good players in the infield. I'd prep India for corner OF. Now if only we could find a couple SP. Wait, I found them! Iglesias and Garrett.
Old 06-20-18, 08:49 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
You did say they should break the bank. So are you saying 'break the bank' for an ace, so we can win some more games, maybe get to .500? Is that the goal?

Of course not. Everyone who has ever competed at a high level, does so for one reason, to try to win a championship.
In 1989, the Reds were 74-88. 5th place in the NL West. Who would have thought the nucleus of that team would win the world series a year later? We were watching Eric Davis, Barry Larkin, Chris Sabo, Paul O'Neill, Jose Rijo, Rob Dibble and Norm Charleton set the course of their careers where they were key components of a championship team.

You nor I have any idea how this team will be next season. Or in 2020.
Old 06-20-18, 08:51 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Well, his ERA as a Red sucks but he has shown some flashes. If you wait till he is a solid pitcher to sign him then the price will be much higher.

Harvey has to know his chances of landing a big LTC are very slim and get slimmer with every mediocre start.

That kind of Money would be comparable to Wade Miley who had a 5.61 ERA and a 1.7 WHIP prior to signing.

Sound familiar?

The difference is that Miley has never had the success that Harvey has.
I'm not signing Matt Harvey. He's been damaged goods, his best days are behind him. There are better places to spend our money.
Old 06-20-18, 08:52 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
Indiandad, as much as I hate to admit it, Homer Bailey will be one of the starters next year unless this "injury" somehow allows the team get his contract covered by insurance with him not playing at all next year.

The Reds have the fourth worst record in baseball and last in the National League but we're talking about them competing next year? They may end up 30 games back in the wild Card race.

Romano strung together another great outing. Don't remember him ever getting in much trouble and seems to be controlling his pitch count better over the last couple starts. Peralta had no command at all when he came in for the 9th.

Sidenote: Votto and Duvall's postgame interview may be my favorite in a long time. The discussion about their new friend, the bird that wouldn't leave the field, was golden. Joey even did a bird dance as he crossed the plate on his grand slam.
I agree...unless Homer is hurt, he's going to be in contention for a rotation spot next season.
Old 06-20-18, 08:56 AM
All World

Couple of nice starts by Sal Romano. Hopefully he can blossom into a solid #3/ #4 starter.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: