Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-01-17, 09:00 PM
All District

fleadog101 is an unknown quantity at this point
OHSAA & Thom Benson stadium

The OHSAA delegation and Commissionrs visited the Pro Football Hall of fame and Thom Benson stadium in Canton Thursday. This was a great visit as they got to take a tour of the new stadium. They were very overwhelmingly impressed with the new stadium and like what I has to offer. They were talking about keeping it permanently in Canton.
Canton has it for 2 years and then back to Columbus for 2years. They will re evaluate keeping it in Canton. Most of the delegation like the personal intimate feel that the stadium offered and it's amenities that it has.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-17, 06:51 AM
Scatologist

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
I'm not buying that, even if the stadium is super-awesome. Columbus and Ohio State will remain in rotation, I'd guess.
Old 07-02-17, 07:11 AM
All Ohio

Andy27 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I'm not buying that, even if the stadium is super-awesome. Columbus and Ohio State will remain in rotation, I'd guess.
Remember, just because something makes sense doesn't mean it will be what the OHSAA does!
Old 07-02-17, 08:48 AM
All Ohio

chito is on a distinguished road
I absolutely love McDaniels too, but it's Tom Benson Stadium.
Old 07-03-17, 06:54 PM
All Yappi

Termite2 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleadog101 View Post
.................. They were very overwhelmingly impressed with the new stadium and like what I has to offer. They were talking about keeping it permanently in Canton.
I would hope they keep the stadium in Canton, after they spent all that money to build it, can't see them spending money to move it.
Old 07-04-17, 07:21 AM
All District

Vinegar is on a distinguished road
The reason they wouldn't have it there is because every kid from Ohio LOVES to play where the Buckeyes play. If OSU can make it work, it should be there every year.
Old 07-04-17, 10:51 AM
All Yappi

LICKING COUNTY FAN is on a distinguished road
The last time the games were in Canton. What was the ticket price?

What will they be this year?
Old 07-04-17, 01:52 PM
All Yappi

The Butler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite2 View Post
I would hope they keep the stadium in Canton, after they spent all that money to build it, can't see them spending money to move it.
Old 07-04-17, 09:54 PM
All World

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
Tom Benson Stadium with ample seating in a incredible setting
Press Box with Luxury Suites OHSAA Brass will love this
8 Adjacent Turf fields for Teams to practice
Indoor Football Practice Facility/Areana
On Site Hotels and Convention Center
In Door Water Park
Folks it will be the Mecca for High School Football, College Bowl Games, HOF Games
Everything will be close in the HOF Village providing fans and players every Ammenity
Going back to the Cavernous Ohio State Stadium vs Tom Benson. Canton wins everytime
The Entire Project should be completed by 2020
Old 07-05-17, 06:44 AM
All Region

Rangerfan is on a distinguished road
As a potential neutral fan, not looking forward to driving north in December. Good news for television ratings.
Old 07-05-17, 05:05 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegar View Post
The reason they wouldn't have it there is because every kid from Ohio LOVES to play where the Buckeyes play. If OSU can make it work, it should be there every year.
They love playing in a lifeless empty stadium?
Old 07-05-17, 06:09 PM
All World

queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
Quote:
They were talking about keeping it permanently in Canton.
No, they weren't.
Old 07-05-17, 07:22 PM
All World

ccrunner4815 is on a distinguished road
When everything in the Hall of Fame Village is completed, I think most high school players will prefer Canton!
Old 07-05-17, 07:27 PM
All Ohio

Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner4815 View Post
When everything in the Hall of Fame Village is completed, I think most high school players will prefer Canton!
Why?? The vast majority, if not all, of teams playing in the state finals are going to the game, playing the game and going home. Same for the fans. Win or lose, not sticking around or going early to be a tourist.
Old 07-05-17, 07:48 PM
All District

Vinegar is on a distinguished road
Buckeyes....thats the reason. Also, center of the state. Kids who play in the Shoe, love the Shoe. Its not complicated. Their fan base will be at either location...
Old 07-05-17, 07:53 PM
All Ohio

OBIE-WON is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jay Fan View Post
Why?? The vast majority, if not all, of teams playing in the state finals are going to the game, playing the game and going home. Same for the fans. Win or lose, not sticking around or going early to be a tourist.
I'm sure an indoor waterpark in the winter has no appeal to stick around.
Old 07-05-17, 08:05 PM
All World

tom 48 will become famous soon enough
Here we go again! It's officially the start of the 2017 season, with the same arguments that have been argued since the games moved to Canton/Massillon.
Old 07-05-17, 08:15 PM
All Ohio

Blue Jay Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBIE-WON View Post
I'm sure an indoor waterpark in the winter has no appeal to stick around.
We win, I go home to celebrate and welcome home the team on Main Street. We lose, I go home to welcome home the team on Main Street. No interest in a water park right after a football game.
Old 07-05-17, 08:54 PM
All District

fleadog101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
No, they weren't.
There are lots reasons that the OHSAA is looking at returning to Canton. Lots of coaches don't like playing in Columbus there as it is a hard venue to prepare there team for. The deep cavernous empty stadium as kids are not used to playing in that type of venue. The depth vision as a player is hard to adjust and it's not enough time to coach and teach and adjust. That is a big factor for the coaches.
The OHSAA has lost hugely in the financial column. Pre sale ticket packages Canton out sold Columbus 5-1

They are being charged by Ohio State University for things that Canton provided at no cost.

This will be put up for a state wide referendum to member schools in 3 years
Old 07-05-17, 10:41 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
There are lots reasons that the OHSAA is looking at returning to Canton. Lots of coaches don't like playing in Columbus there as it is a hard venue to prepare there team for. The deep cavernous empty stadium as kids are not used to playing in that type of venue. The depth vision as a player is hard to adjust and it's not enough time to coach and teach and adjust. That is a big factor for the coaches.
The OHSAA has lost hugely in the financial column. Pre sale ticket packages Canton out sold Columbus 5-1
Ticket prices at OSU are much higher than at Canton. But, the question is what are their expenses? But, the problem I have is now that they know fans will pay those prices, will they try to import them to Canton?

Quote:
They are being charged by Ohio State University for things that Canton provided at no cost.

A lot of unknowns for us on the outside of the decision. OHSAA shouldn't JUST go with the financial decision. The players and fans should factor in. But, if the finances are overwhelming, then things need to change.

My question is that states with much less fan support than Ohio HS football hold their titles at NFL and major college venues with little to no issue and nobody even questions the setup. It's just a given that it will be there. NJ plays 10 games a year now at MetLife Stadium, a billion-plus stadium, and they actually go out of their way to ensure the weekend is open of Jets and Giants games interfering with the games most of the time (NFL can still override requests).

And yet in Ohio, there's two NFL venues and a 100,000+ seat D1 college venue considered one of the best in the country, and OSU is apparently nickel and diming the state association for the games. Maybe OSU just doesn't feel the need to advertise their facilities, campus, etc to the thousands of high school kids and their families that will make the trek there for a state title game. They can absorb the cost. If they wanted to.
Old 07-06-17, 04:26 AM
Bulldogs, Buckeyes & Browns!

DaveDawg is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DaveDawg
I don't think anyone can really define this as "Canton" hosting the finals anymore.
This is now about the Johnson Control's Hall of Fame Village.
Yes, you will be driving to Canton (or not Cincinnati fan) but the draw is no longer restaurants in Jackson Township or Massillon by seeing a game at PBTS...don't say that you'd visit downtown Canton, you didn't. Still won't it my guess.
This is about driving the engine of said Village and getting your tax dollars that increase being you are a visitor to the area that you will pay for coming, eating lodging, parking and ticket price.
Think those extra-wide padded seats in the club section will be $10 a game under OHSAA's watch?

There is something amiss about this whole thing and I still don't see a second event that is not a football game coming to JCHOFV other than the Concert for Legends.

Canton sold its football soul.

The bigger, brighter lights have blinded and separated from what the Hall and the Pro Football Hall of Fame Festival weekend was all about.
The people of Canton.
It can never go back to that again.
The blue seats in the stadium says more about the homage to Canton's football history as those seats ignore the city's one true football heritage that remains.
McKinley.
Canton City Schools district's land yet no sign of McK. Gone before it starts. .
Jim Johnson hosting on the steps of FGW at the HOF. Gone.
Canton Chamber hosting OHSAA Weekend. Gone.
Say hello to a new host, but you may want to stop short of calling it Canton.
Old 07-06-17, 04:56 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye will become famous soon enough
Quote:

All well and good (some of what you said is accurate, some not), but you claimed they were talking about moving to Canton permanently last week. That was not a true statement.
Old 07-06-17, 12:43 PM
All World

ccrunner4815 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jay Fan View Post
We win, I go home to celebrate and welcome home the team on Main Street. We lose, I go home to welcome home the team on Main Street. No interest in a water park right after a football game.
You might do that, but the majority of people won't!