Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-18-18, 08:28 AM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Baseball changes

It continues to amaze me that people who really don't like baseball, tries to change the game all the time.

And I've got some understanding of this, because I don't like soccer. But I've made several comments in the past on changes soccer should consider. Now obviously soccer isn't changing because the people that like soccer the way it is, won't change it. Which is fine.

So why are we constantly inundated with people trying change baseball. The game has survived this long, there are people with changing tastes, but the core baseball fan likes it just the way it is.

The DH...it's going to be a negotiating point with the union. It's not going to just be handed over. The union is going to need to give more on PED testing, or revenue sharing or something like that. It's what union negotiations are all about.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-18, 08:58 AM
All Region

Dale Cooper is an unknown quantity at this point
The consensus is the typical Baseball fan is ageing and they want to attract younger fans.

The DH is awful. I would hate to see it in both Leagues, but itís loooking like thatís the direction the League is going.
Old 07-18-18, 09:37 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
The game needs to move faster, bottom line. Players visiting the mound needs to be restricted and pitch clock needs to be a real thing that is enforced. Replay should go away on anything other than fair/foul and homerun
Old 07-18-18, 04:37 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
As much as I like to watch each pitch and listen to the announcers' commentary, I just can't only watch the game. I have to be doing something else during that four hours. After the last game I watched, I thought to myself "I may as well be listening to the radio". Well, almost.

The thrill is gone.

Come on football and bball!
Old 07-18-18, 05:48 PM
All World

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
I agree with 14 red. I like baseball the way it is. And Iím not old. Iím just a huge baseball fan. Itís actually my favorite sport. Iím the opposite of most people, as I hate when NFL is starting because that means baseball is coming to an end.

I do understand why they are trying to though. I just donít agree.
Old 07-18-18, 06:06 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
The game needs to move faster, bottom line. Players visiting the mound needs to be restricted and pitch clock needs to be a real thing that is enforced. Replay should go away on anything other than fair/foul and homerun
And cut the season down. 162 games is beyond overkill.
Old 07-18-18, 10:22 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
I'm a diehard baseball fan. Mostly watch Reds games but will have other games on my iPad most the time (it's why I pay for the MLB package). That being said, some changes need to be made or it'll continue to die a slow death. I've never been a fan of the DH and felt not having one made managers actually have to manage a game. Now fans want to see 9 guys take the plate who can hit a home run. I actually like replay but lets give the crew chief a headphone and let MLB make a ruling within 30-60 seconds without the umps running to a tunnel for 2-3 minutes and then returning to their spots on the field? There's nothing I enjoy more than watching a late night extra innings game but with pitchers having more limitations than ever before it wrecks bullpens. Many fans in attendance leave before the ending too. Perhaps placing a guy on 2nd to start extras would keep more fans in the stands.
Old 07-18-18, 11:23 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
Now fans want to see 9 guys take the plate who can hit a home run.
I think this is what is hurting baseball more than helping it. While I agree that "most fans" want to see this, it's also the thing that is making baseball that much more boring to the "traditional fans".

Baseball, much like soccer, is not a sport for the casual fan to understand easily. By dumbing it down to just throw fast, hit far, they are losing the finer points of the game. In the short term, it's good for those sitting in the seats that never played the game. In the long term, it's taking away the mystique of the game for the fan that has a greater understanding of the game.

In some ways, it's like the whole offensive game is being played by DHs.
Old 07-19-18, 12:47 AM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Mike Trout has the same name recognition at Kenneth Faried...Baeball needs to do anything they can to better market their product if one of their top players is as popular as a backup on a NBA team..
Old 07-19-18, 01:35 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
No doubt, but that's a more difficult one to change, since nobody is willing to make less money for some reason. Personally, if I were a big leaguer I'd much rather play fewer games and sacrifice some $$
Old 07-19-18, 01:47 PM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Ok, I'll enguage. Are the games too long because of how the game is played, or do you simply look at the clock and see that the game takes 3 1/2 or 4 hours and determine it's too long?

My remedy is simple, but it will cost baseball money.

Simpy cut one :30 second commercial away from between innings. Guys it's about revenue for the sport, not the time of the game.
If you go to an NFL game, you'll understand. The time they just stand around on the field waiting to come back from commercial breaks are staggering. You could play an NFL game in 2 1/2 hours if the commercial breaks were cut down. But that decreases revenue for that sport.

Now if you watched some baseball recently, they are trying to do in game commercials. You can fit a 30/60 second commercial during a mound visit, or an injury timeout.
Old 07-19-18, 03:45 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Baseball is too much of a time investment. You can't expect people to invest 3 hours of their time every night to watch a baseball game. It's a sport that's doomed to fail in an age where society is seemingly getting faster and faster
Old 07-19-18, 03:56 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Ok, I'll enguage. Are the games too long because of how the game is played, or do you simply look at the clock and see that the game takes 3 1/2 or 4 hours and determine it's too long?

My remedy is simple, but it will cost baseball money.

Simpy cut one :30 second commercial away from between innings. Guys it's about revenue for the sport, not the time of the game.
If you go to an NFL game, you'll understand. The time they just stand around on the field waiting to come back from commercial breaks are staggering. You could play an NFL game in 2 1/2 hours if the commercial breaks were cut down. But that decreases revenue for that sport.

Now if you watched some baseball recently, they are trying to do in game commercials. You can fit a 30/60 second commercial during a mound visit, or an injury timeout.
It is all GREED. They can do NFL games with only commercials between quarters and halftime but they won't because it is GREED. No commercials in Soccer.... and they can afford it. Again, it is GREED.

Watching MLB games I actually see commercials every once in awhile pop up between pitches... again, it is ALL GREED.
Old 07-19-18, 05:11 PM
All World

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
What is the amount of money someone is allowed to make before they're greedy vamps?
Old 07-20-18, 10:03 AM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Too much lollygagging in the game today. Batters take too long to get in the box. Pitchers take too long to pitch. Too much tossing to first. Too much mound visiting. Compare the pace and flow of a game from a couple decades ago to today and you see why the game has dipped in popularity with younger demographics.

I don't think commercial breaks are a huge issue. There's only 2 minutes between half-innings. If that were cut down by half, it wouldn't even cut 20 minutes out of the gametime.

I keep hearing rumblings about making a rule against the shift. I think that's ridiculous. The players need to learn to hit away from it to make it pointless.
Old 07-20-18, 11:55 AM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
It is all GREED. They can do NFL games with only commercials between quarters and halftime but they won't because it is GREED. No commercials in Soccer.... and they can afford it. Again, it is GREED.

Watching MLB games I actually see commercials every once in awhile pop up between pitches... again, it is ALL GREED.
yell about GREED all you want, but their TV ratings are very high. If the NFL ratings go way down, they may cut out commercials. But we keep watching.

Since our demand is so high, as an American I support their ability to get paid as much as they can for supply.
Old 07-20-18, 05:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
yell about GREED all you want, but their TV ratings are very high. If the NFL ratings go way down, they may cut out commercials. But we keep watching.

Since our demand is so high, as an American I support their ability to get paid as much as they can for supply.
I stopped watching last year and will not watch again this year... I am not alone as NFL ratings will continue to drop.
Old 07-20-18, 05:12 PM
All Yappi

My MLB changes

This is my idea of making the season more interesting without changing the way the game is played.

1 Expansion, this is not necessary but in my scenario expand to include 2 teams out west... some possible sites, Vegas, West Texas, Iowa, Albuquerque, Vancouver... or what not.....

2 Get rid of the Central division in both the National and Amercian League. REDS, Pirates, and Cubs get moved to the East with the Cards and Brewers to the west + 1 NL expansion team. With the AL, move KC and MN to the West with + 1 AL expansion team and the rest to the east. This leaves 8 teams in 2 divisions for each National and American Leagues.

3 No more NL vs AL games.... each team in the NL east plays the other 14 times and plays the west teams 7 times for a total of 162 games. The schedule is split in half for the first half and 2nd half of the season.

4) Split season. winner of each league after 81 games qualify for the playoffs same with winners of the 2nd half. That is 2 teams in each division making the playoffs, now add the next team with the most wins overall in each division making 3 teams in each division qualifying.

5) The top overall record of each division gets a first round bye in the playoffs even if they did not win either half of the division... AKA Reds the last time they had a split season. The remaining 4 teams play a best 3 out of 5 series with the team with the best overall record hosting 3 of the games. Pairings will also be determined by overall records of teams...

6) This will keep more teams in the race longer and give other teams who may have been devastated early by either injury or something else and 2nd chance on the 2nd half of the season. Also, since the overall record counts it will also keep teams who have wrapped up a playoff spot still competing for first round byes and home games.

The schedules in each division will be balanced so no team will have an advantage over another in each division because of scheduling.

thoughts....
Old 07-20-18, 06:02 PM
All World

Quote:
I stopped watching last year and will not watch again this year... I am not alone as NFL ratings will continue to drop.
NFL ratings are down less than TV ratings as a whole.

Still curious, how much money is someone allowed to make before they're greedy? I'm curious what the threshold is.
Old 07-20-18, 06:07 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Swap Milwaukee and Cleveland
Old 07-20-18, 06:27 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
NFL ratings are down less than TV ratings as a whole.

Still curious, how much money is someone allowed to make before they're greedy? I'm curious what the threshold is.
I think that will depend on what the break down is with the profits compared to performance and years experience of the employees as well as profit percentage form year to year.

I believe that athletes as a whole make way too much and their pay should be based on performance and team wins. Basically, a base pay based on years in the league and then performance bonuses and team win bonuses.
Old 07-20-18, 07:06 PM
All World

Quote:
I believe that athletes as a whole make way too much
Why? What would be a fair amount for them to make?
Old 07-20-18, 07:09 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
The consensus is the typical Baseball fan is ageing and they want to attract younger fans.

The DH is awful. I would hate to see it in both Leagues, but it’s loooking like that’s the direction the League is going.
Pitchers hitting sucks.

That double switch sure is exciting, though. Riveting baseball. Huge strategy. YOOOOOOUUGGGE!!
Old 07-20-18, 07:18 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
The book zone top to bottom and touching black will speed the game, too. Put more balls in play.
Old 07-20-18, 07:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Should have stayed at 154.
Old 07-20-18, 07:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
Mike Trout has the same name recognition at Kenneth Faried...Baeball needs to do anything they can to better market their product if one of their top players is as popular as a backup on a NBA team..
Manfred calling out Trout to market himself was beyond stupid. If he was in NYC or Boston, the League would do it for him. He just wants to play.

If he wasn't white, would Rob Manfred care ?

LBJ got famous worldwide while in Cleveland, in large part initially by NBA-driven hype, not his own people.
Old 07-20-18, 07:28 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Why? What would be a fair amount for them to make?
$75,000 to start for first year in majors....
Old 07-20-18, 07:28 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post

I'll agree with one thing - the split screen commercial is pure genius. They need more of that.

I'm guessing a study would show that it keeps more people tuned in longer over all.
Old 07-20-18, 07:29 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Baseball is too much of a time investment. You can't expect people to invest 3 hours of their time every night to watch a baseball game. It's a sport that's doomed to fail in an age where society is seemingly getting faster and faster
child
Old 07-20-18, 07:30 PM
All World

Quote:
$75,000 to start for first year in majors....
So if we pay the players less, where should the extra money go?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: