Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-08-18, 10:04 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
AAU basketball game turns into all-out brawl between players and referees

An AAU team from Chicago gets into a fight with the referees:

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-18, 10:20 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Isn't Chicago one of the most violent cities in America? Crime from the streets into the gym. 🤔 Sad.
Old 07-08-18, 11:23 PM
All American

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
That’s embarrassing for all adults involved
Old 07-08-18, 11:39 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
The game was actually in Atlanta. The sad part is the coach defending his players actions. The opposing coach, who really doesn't have a dog in the fight, fully backed the refs. Went as far as warning his own players to watch out for for their own safety with a few minutes left in the game (before the fight) because he just didn't have a good feeling about the way that team was handling the loss.
Old 07-09-18, 01:25 AM
All Ohio

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
And just think of all the "life lessons" young people learn from sports.
Old 07-09-18, 06:41 AM
All Ohio

Vike16 is on a distinguished road
Sad and embarrassing situation. But I heard it wasn't an AAU game.

Doesn't really make a difference, just saying
Old 07-09-18, 04:25 PM
Moderated User

GregG is on a distinguished road
In a few years theyíll be selling dime bags on the corner, demanding $20 an hour running a register at McD and supporting BLM.
Old 07-09-18, 05:09 PM
All District

zebrastripes is on a distinguished road
And this, folks, is why you won't see me officiating this kind of ball in the offseason.

I'm sure someone will be moseying along shortly to blame the officials. Quite frankly, good for them for defending themselves and their partners.
Old 07-09-18, 06:55 PM
All Region

Curious One is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregG View Post
In a few years theyíll be selling dime bags on the corner, demanding $20 an hour running a register at McD and supporting BLM.
Because, you know, no stereotype is too racist for you!
Old 07-09-18, 10:32 PM
All Region

scbuckeye99 is on a distinguished road
From the article that went along with this video it has been stated that the ref in question was mouthing off / egging on / "taunting" the team. The players in question are disgusting as far as their behavior goes but what ref acts like that? On second thought I just answered my own question. An AAU ref.
Old 07-09-18, 11:28 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbuckeye99 View Post
From the article that went along with this video it has been stated that the ref in question was mouthing off / egging on / "taunting" the team. The players in question are disgusting as far as their behavior goes but what ref acts like that? On second thought I just answered my own question. An AAU ref.
There's also the coach of the other team saying he never saw or heard the ref make any comments or become aggressive. Don't think he really had anything to gain by making that comment. Either way, the refs should have removed themselves from the situation as soon as they could. I know I'd be upset if it happened to me but I'd like to think I'd be able to walk away instead of reengaging. That certainly didn't help things.
Old 07-10-18, 06:42 AM
All Ohio

Vike16 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

This comment makes me sick. I hope this guy isn't a coach or teacher with this mindset
Old 07-10-18, 07:55 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbuckeye99 View Post
And what makes you think the aggrieved coach, whose players started the whole melee, is credible? When the other coach is saying the refs did nothing wrong.

And while I don't necessarily disagree that "AAU refs" tend to struggle, I can assure you that if a player, coach, or fan takes a swing at me and security is not there immediately to arrest the clown, I will be defending myself.

Thankfully, nothing would escalate to this level in a college or OHSAA game, and I don't work this kind of ball in my offseason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
There's also the coach of the other team saying he never saw or heard the ref make any comments or become aggressive. Don't think he really had anything to gain by making that comment. Either way, the refs should have removed themselves from the situation as soon as they could. I know I'd be upset if it happened to me but I'd like to think I'd be able to walk away instead of reengaging. That certainly didn't help things.
Sorry, but if someone takes a swing at me I'm going to defend myself. And if it's my partner getting swung at, I will be doing everything I can to defend him. And any assigner I work for would support me for doing so.

Once the confrontation turns from verbal to physical, all bets are off and I'm defending myself and pressing charges. Yell at me all you want-I have the authority to eject you and forfeit the contest if necessary. Take a swing at me? Now I have every right to self-defense.

Waiting for someone to say "they're just kids" to make it seem like the behavior is less reproachable. Ha. Ha. Ha. I don't see many "kids" taking swings at authority figures.
Old 07-10-18, 10:15 AM
All District

Localfan is on a distinguished road
When your putting it all on the line and the refs are calling the game completely unfair of letting their emotions get in the way of calling a far game its a problem. Adrenalin running high anything could happen. But the players need to always back down and let the coaches handle anything ref wise. Someone over the event should have been called to watch that game and to help supervise it. To many mistakes and the staffs part.
Old 07-10-18, 10:16 AM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vike16 View Post
This comment makes me sick. I hope this guy isn't a coach or teacher with this mindset
I would refuse to babysit someone’s kid esp these thugs.

These kids develop some chemistry now and once they all come together on the chain gang; man will it move smoothly!
Old 07-10-18, 10:25 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Localfan View Post
When your putting it all on the line and the refs are calling the game completely unfair of letting their emotions get in the way of calling a far game its a problem. Adrenalin running high anything could happen. But the players need to always back down and let the coaches handle anything ref wise. Someone over the event should have been called to watch that game and to help supervise it. To many mistakes and the staffs part.
Are you serious? So you're assuming the officials were intentionally screwing one team based on the comment of an inherently biased travel ball coach?

And I'm sorry but "adrenaline running high" is no excuse to TAKE A SWING at someone, not to mention an authority figure. I've had nasty things said to me from coaches and fans in my career-not once have I thought about getting physical.

This fanboy speak about "putting it all on the line" makes me laugh every time. If you're not capable of restraining yourself from throwing a haymaker at an official, you don't deserve to have the opportunity to "put it all on the line."
Old 07-10-18, 02:53 PM
All Region

goshengophers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Localfan View Post
Your atrocious grammar and spelling aside, your defense of the players is reason No. 1 why every state association is begging for officials. Even if we assume the official was "egging on" the players, there's a multitude of responses that would have been acceptable before turning physical.
Old 07-10-18, 03:17 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
The most telling part of this is the opposing coach telling the reporter that he had warned his kids to be careful because of the way the opponents were handling themselves.

Another problem is that there is no oversight for these programs. The tournament directors are going to continue letting this organization into their tournaments as long as they can pay. The High School coaches will not punish these kids because "it wasn't on their team." The police will let things go because adrenaline was running high.

These kids are a perfect example of what is wrong with high school age sports. There will likely be no repercussions on what was essentially an organized assault on an authority figure(s).
Old 07-10-18, 04:22 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrastripes View Post
Sorry, but if someone takes a swing at me I'm going to defend myself. And if it's my partner getting swung at, I will be doing everything I can to defend him. And any assigner I work for would support me for doing so.

Once the confrontation turns from verbal to physical, all bets are off and I'm defending myself and pressing charges. Yell at me all you want-I have the authority to eject you and forfeit the contest if necessary. Take a swing at me? Now I have every right to self-defense.

Waiting for someone to say "they're just kids" to make it seem like the behavior is less reproachable. Ha. Ha. Ha. I don't see many "kids" taking swings at authority figures.
In no way am I saying to not defend yourself but in the one video one of the refs involved, as well as others are removed from the situation. The ref then rips off his shirt and goes back after the team. This escalates things again to the video posted.

Once you're removed from the situation, stay removed. It does no good to reengage.
Old 07-10-18, 04:36 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
The police will let things go because adrenaline was running high.
This is kind of an absurd statement, the store robbery committed the defendant didnít mean to shoot and kill the store manager his adrenaline was off the charts.

In a way I see what your saying, but itís no excuse. These kids are straight up menaces to a proper society. The ref was calling unfair fouls against me, so letís go gang up on him and beat him up.

This story is a reflection of how society views authority, these kids donít give a rip. It all starts at home and with no father figure, mama canít do everything. So the police have to be the father figure and with all the negative attention, that it isnít going to go right.

Maybe refs should start wearing body cams
Old 07-10-18, 06:00 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshengophers View Post
Your atrocious grammar and spelling aside, your defense of the players is reason No. 1 why every state association is begging for officials. Even if we assume the official was "egging on" the players, there's a multitude of responses that would have been acceptable before turning physical.
Amen.

It's amazing to me how every time something like this happens, in an OHSAA game or an offseason free-for-all, the presumption always has to be that the officials did something wrong, as if inherently biased, overzealous high schoolers and coaches aren't capable of acting the fool on their own. There has to be something the zebras did that triggered the response from "the kids."

Guess what? Officiating mistakes are a part of every single basketball game from 5-year-old wreck ball all the way up to the NBA. And funny, you very rarely see refs getting physically assaulted even when egregious errors are clearly made. So I don't really have any desire to hear some excuse about "putting it all on the line" or "it's a highly emotional game" or "the refs missed x calls." They're all pathetic attempts to justify unacceptable behavior.

You know what else is unfair other than poor officiating when players are "putting it all on the line"? Comments that coaches make to us that attack our integrity even when we've officiated the game free of bias. I can only imagine the backlash if an official said "I've had enough" and took a swing at that coach.

I gave up working this crap type of ball a few years ago and I'm so glad I did.
Old 07-11-18, 01:36 PM
All Region

Quote:
I would refuse to babysit someoneís kid esp these thugs.

These kids develop some chemistry now and once they all come together on the chain gang; man will it move smoothly!
Donald, Donald Trump? Is that you? Your race baiting sickness is disgusting on a public site!
Old 07-11-18, 02:44 PM
All Ohio

^^^
curious,
Are you maxine waters in real life?
Old 07-11-18, 06:05 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious One View Post
Donald, Donald Trump? Is that you? Your race baiting sickness is disgusting on a public site!
While I don't necessarily disagree that the comments are inappropriate, the only race baiting that goes on in this country on a national scale is by Democratic politicians.
Old 07-12-18, 12:44 AM
All District

1 time is on a distinguished road
The official and all the hood rats should have all their names turned in to their state affiliations and governing bodies. Also, every college coach should have the names of every player involved and answers and consequences should be investigated going forward. These actions are inappropriate for all athletes and adults going forward. This behavior is for street people, not for those in an athletic arena. This is absolutely PATHETIC on all sides and should NEVER be tolerated ! EVER !
Old 07-12-18, 04:37 AM
All Ohio

Anyone remember Luke Witte and the "incident" at Minnesota?
Old 07-12-18, 05:48 AM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 time View Post
The official and all the hood rats should have all their names turned in to their state affiliations and governing bodies.
There are no state affiliations or governing bodies to turn names into. That's the problem here. No consequences for their actions.
Old 07-12-18, 07:28 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
There are no state affiliations or governing bodies to turn names into. That's the problem here. No consequences for their actions.
And for all we know this official isn't even certified by a state association. He could just be a wreck ball official or a random guy with a striped shirt. It's not unheard of for these tournaments to use whoever they can get; they're looking for cheap labor and bodies more than anything.
Old 07-12-18, 07:33 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 time View Post
The official and all the hood rats should have all their names turned in to their state affiliations and governing bodies. Also, every college coach should have the names of every player involved and answers and consequences should be investigated going forward. These actions are inappropriate for all athletes and adults going forward. This behavior is for street people, not for those in an athletic arena. This is absolutely PATHETIC on all sides and should NEVER be tolerated ! EVER !
Well, that's the consequence of these types of events. They're free-for-alls with little to no supervision or accountability.

Nothing is going to come of this. The incident happened in Georgia and the offending team is from Chicago. It will die slowly and everyone will move on.
Old 07-12-18, 04:56 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrastripes View Post
While I don't necessarily disagree that the comments are inappropriate, the only race baiting that goes on in this country on a national scale is by Democratic politicians.
Then you would support these stereotypes being spewed? You might be a part of the problem! You either donít get it or you approve of it.