Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-01-18, 10:21 PM
Junior Varsity

executive director is on a distinguished road
Legacy Christian

I wanted to see what was going on at Legacy. They had a lot of talented junior high kids, and three studs at the high school. Hoskins is heading to Oklahoma, and I would think that means they lose their staff (Tom and Andrew Hoskins). Any info on who takes over? Deuce Brown had a great year, but does that change with Hoskins gone? Does Walker burn another year after not finding the podium. He was injured almost the entire year, but his skill level could have seen him atop the podium had he been at full strength. Does Disalvo take over, or does this become a dozen dads vying to find a seat in the corner? It could be a great group, but a lot of questions seem to loom. How many are going to take their chances hoping things work out for their kids and how many will find a home where they have things in place. This should be an interesting topic to keep an eye on.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-18, 05:41 AM
Freshman

LTC is on a distinguished road
After the season Tom Hoskins stepped down from head coach just as he did the year before hoping to get a qualified coach in and it didn’t work out last year so he stepped up and took Legacy Christian through another year. Both Tom and Andrew will continue to help with the program. This spring Legacy Christian hired Tim Begley has the head coach to lead this young team to great things. Next year Legacy Christian should have 10-13 wrestlers on the high school team. The schedule is almost set just looking to get a home tri meet in for next season.
Old 05-02-18, 07:18 AM
All District

wrestling world is on a distinguished road
Is this the same Begley from CJ a few years back? If so welcome back.
Old 05-02-18, 07:24 AM
Varsity

WGTJ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestling world View Post
Is this the same Begley from CJ a few years back? If so welcome back.
Yes, same person.
Old 05-02-18, 08:14 AM
Freshman

Jrob77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTC View Post
Next year Legacy Christian should have 10-13 wrestlers on the high school team.
If Legacy ends up with "10-13 wrestlers" on the high school team next year, that would probably be the most impressive recruiting class in Ohio wrestling history. What an impressive amount of "Christian" transfers coming to Xenia for educational purposes that just happen to wrestle.
Old 05-02-18, 08:31 AM
Freshman

Transfers are for high school kids. 8 wrestlers attend Legacy now most are 8th graders the rest are kids that have been part of the club for the last few years. All but 1 of them go to a Catholic or Christian school now so the “Christian” remark is fairly ignorant when you don’t know who they are or where they attend. Even when you do the right thing by building a feeder program people question with recruiting. We will continue to do the right thing by developing youth that want to continue to train together and some will come to our school. We started our program 2 years ago and focused on the youth.
Old 05-02-18, 08:45 AM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Not gonna lie, with the 8th graders that are supposed to be coming in (off Borofan thread) and the couple returnees they have, in 2-3 years they will be hard to beat in D3 at the state tournament.
Old 05-02-18, 08:48 AM
All District

wrestling world is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WGTJ View Post
Yes, same person.
Glad to hear that he's back in action.
Old 05-02-18, 12:25 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Transfers are for high school kids. 8 wrestlers attend Legacy now most are 8th graders the rest are kids that have been part of the club for the last few years. All but 1 of them go to a Catholic or Christian school now so the “Christian” remark is fairly ignorant when you don’t know who they are or where they attend. Even when you do the right thing by building a feeder program people question with recruiting. We will continue to do the right thing by developing youth that want to continue to train together and some will come to our school. We started our program 2 years ago and focused on the youth.
Apologize if the Christian remark came across as offensive. However it appears that you are saying that because some kids were already enrolled at other private schools, that makes it ok to recruit them to your program
Old 05-02-18, 12:27 PM
Freshman

justsayin is on a distinguished road
in great hands

with Tim leading them, they are gonna be a handful. congrat to Coach Begley.
everyone better get ready they gonna be tuff tuff. just sayin!
Old 05-02-18, 01:01 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob77 View Post
Apologize if the Christian remark came across as offensive. However it appears that you are saying that because some kids were already enrolled at other private schools, that makes it ok to recruit them to your program
What I am saying is parents choose the best place for there children to go to school most of the kids that will be coming in attend a school where 8th grade is there last grade and then they choose a high school to attend. Some have chosen to go to school with kids they have been practicing with for the last few years. Whether you like it or not parents have the right to send their children where they feel is the best opportunity for growth. Legacy Christian Academy has a great academic due to teacher/ student ratio. Their Drama and Art departments are incredible. They want also want to succeed in athletics and have brought the right staffs into the school to succeed. The wrestling club has been a great asset for athletes around our area and some that travel as far as 1.5 hrs to get great partners and coaching. We appreciate your concern and hope that our parents right to choose the school their children attend is acceptable to you. We will continue to do the right thing and continue to build our program.
Old 05-02-18, 01:43 PM
Freshman

HipToss is on a distinguished road
Add 2 wrestlers when Sean Conway transfers from Carroll and his brother Liam follows(OAC divisional state runner up)
Old 05-02-18, 02:09 PM
All District

stall it out is on a distinguished road
I can support school choice, but lets not try and convince everyone that they are getting a Harvard education. Legacy is a very small school. Teacher to pupil ratio is low; so is the teacher pay, which I equate to less talented teachers. It also means that there are fewer options in regards to electives and foreign languages. I'm not saying it is a bad education, but convincing everyone that this is the Ivy leagues is a bit much. The wrestlers are going to compete at the D3 level and win a state title. I've heard the self anointed CRO (chief recruiting officer) say as much to parents. I think they are going to be good. I think that they have a lot of talent, but I struggle to stomach the powers that be tell everyone that they are doing everything by the book and that they have everything setup and ready to go in an effort to pull more kids away from local schools. The new coach is good, but if people start looking into things they might find a couple of skeletons in that closet.
Old 05-02-18, 03:58 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stall it out View Post
self anointed CRO (chief recruiting officer)
Nailed it! Could his last name be a color? He has tried to recruit the entire country! Emphasis on RECRUITING
Old 05-02-18, 06:12 PM
All Region

Eagle112 is on a distinguished road
I have read this book before cover to cover. The story is the same but the names of the “Characters” have Changed.
Old 05-02-18, 06:25 PM
All District

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Nailed it! Could his last name be a color? He has tried to recruit the entire country! Emphasis on RECRUITING
Magenta?
Old 05-02-18, 06:41 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough

Old 05-03-18, 05:45 AM
All District

wresfan is on a distinguished road
Anyone have a projected lineup for legacy next year
Old 05-03-18, 05:45 AM
All Ohio

craceman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If Legacy ends up with "10-13 wrestlers" on the high school team next year, that would probably be the most impressive recruiting class in Ohio wrestling history. What an impressive amount of "Christian" transfers coming to Xenia for educational purposes that just happen to wrestle.
Most people would be happy that another School is actually fielding a bigger team then 3/4 kids and not be throwing stones
Old 05-03-18, 01:19 PM
Freshman

Nick@Nite is on a distinguished road
is desalvo a club coach for legacy?

thought desalvo was the club coach at legacy but saw him coaching at hs state for legacy christan?
Old 05-03-18, 08:56 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by craceman View Post
Most people would be happy that another School is actually fielding a bigger team then 3/4 kids and not be throwing stones
Agreed Crace.
Old 05-03-18, 09:22 PM
All Yappi

Boro Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Is this dad employed by the school? If not, then I don't believe Mr. Magenta is technically recruiting
Old 05-03-18, 10:33 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro Fan View Post
Is this dad employed by the school? If not, then I don't believe Mr. Magenta is technically recruiting
If he becomes part of the staff, even as a volunteer, at any time this season he would be in violation. Apparently you don't know Legacy's C.R.O. Mr. Magenta will be involved. I'm sure the Koolaid taste great, but it always sucks to see the helicopters swoop in an pick up others only to see the program crash and burn in a year or two leaving the kids to suffer. You get these small groups of dads looking to do it there way, but it leaves a wake of destruction in the way. I think the popular opinion is that this is Dayton Christian all over again. A lot of talent but not much direction and a used car salesman trying to reel people in. I'm not questioning the school just the next 4 years for these incoming freshman. They went out and hired their coach hoping they'll remain in control. It'll be interesting to see how everyone reacts when certain skeletons come out of that closet. Happy they fielded a large group, but concerned that those kids aren't really looking at the future. This is a program that has n't really ever wrestled an entire season. And a group of parents that will jump ship if things start to go wrong. Little upper class men leadership. And a program that is less than three years old. All along the kids own all of the risk.
Old 05-03-18, 10:34 PM
All Region

Eagle112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro Fan View Post

Here you go.

Bylaw 4-9-2 defines recruiting as the use of influence by an individual, either connected or not connected to a school, to secure the enrollment of a prospective student-athlete.

Boro Fan you should have known this....I’ll give you a pass this time��
Old 05-03-18, 11:38 PM
All Yappi

Boro Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle112 View Post
Here you go.

Bylaw 4-9-2 defines recruiting as the use of influence by an individual, either connected or not connected to a school, to secure the enrollment of a prospective student-athlete.

Boro Fan you should have known this....I’ll give you a pass this time��
I was messing around, I know how it's worded because of other threads on here in the past and on the football forum, but define influenced. Like someone asked then, "did the other dad persuade the parents to pay the tuition too?"

Here, I dont think a dad of a junior high kid asking other kids to join their club technically counts as influenced or recruiting when it comes to high school. I know of a case where a dad was reported for "recruiting" 2 kids because he suggested they should attend his son's school, so they could have better drill partners and nothing came of it because it was "a dad making a suggestion".

Last edited by Boro Fan; 05-03-18 at 11:52 PM.
Old 05-04-18, 08:19 AM
All Region

releasemas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
After the season Tom Hoskins stepped down from head coach just as he did the year before hoping to get a qualified coach in and it didn’t work out last year so he stepped up and took Legacy Christian through another year. Both Tom and Andrew will continue to help with the program. This spring Legacy Christian hired Tim Begley has the head coach to lead this young team to great things. Next year Legacy Christian should have 10-13 wrestlers on the high school team. The schedule is almost set just looking to get a home tri meet in for next season.
I know Lasalle is looking for a dual. We just scheduled them a month ago.
Old 05-04-18, 08:27 AM
Varsity

LowCrotch is on a distinguished road
Why am I Mr. Pink?!

Old 05-04-18, 08:50 AM
All District

Mr. Pink can talk to anyone he wants as a parent so long as he isn't on the mat in practice or in the corner of competition. That's where it'll get interesting, because we have a family in our program that has personally been sought after. With the Hoskins family stepping down, nobody knows how things are going to go. Why risk it? Graham is right up the road. Butler has a great group in their room. Both of those programs have proven coaches.
Old 05-04-18, 09:08 AM
All American

Coach Root is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCrotch View Post
Why am I Mr. Pink?!

First off... this made me literally laugh out loud.

As for Legacy... They'll be just fine. They have good talent in the room, and a coach leading the way. If it were the first year of the program, things may be different, but I have to believe that they have a schedule and a plan. My understanding is that most have been in that room the last couple of years, so they should know what to expect. It's a group of parents that are driven, so they know what they are looking for in the first place. As someone already eluded, the masses tend to get their panties in a bunch when it comes to private schools...

We do have a point left on the schedule if they'd like to come down...

Coach Root
Old 05-04-18, 09:58 AM
All Ohio

wrestlfan is on a distinguished road
the masses got their panties in a bunch with the fall of dayton christian with this sort of thing too