Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-09-18, 09:02 PM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
1 min left, wrestler A is down 4-2 and gets a TD to tie.

30 sec left as wrestler B nearly gets to his feet wrester A let’s him.

Wrestler B jogs away from wrestler A at least 10 feet toward center but never faces.

Ref gives escape.

Wrestler A attacks, gets TD and rides out for a 6-5 win.

After time runs out THEN opposing coach goes to table. After 5 min of discussion.

The ref reverses the escape/TD and they reset the clock with :24 sec left.

But they only erased the TD, start them on their feet with wrestler B up 5-4 which is the final score.

Can you change a call that happened 30 seconds “ago” and reset the clock after time had run out? On top of it how do they award the escape but not the TD?

Semifinals match, 220 D3 Skye vs Kuhn. Skye got completely robbed.
Old 03-09-18, 09:58 PM
All Region

350zjk is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=jmog;7006243]1 min left, wrestler A is down 4-2 and gets a TD to tie.

30 sec left as wrestler B nearly gets to his feet wrester A letís him.

Wrestler B jogs away from wrestler A at least 10 feet toward center but never faces. (RIGHT NOW STALLING SHOULD BE CALLED on B)

Ref gives escape. (Correct call)

After time runs out THEN opposing coach goes to table. After 5 min of discussion.

But they only erased the TD, start them on their feet with wrestler B up 5-4 which is the final score.

Can you change a call that happened 30 seconds ďagoĒ and reset the clock after time had run out? On top of it how do they award the escape but not the TD?

Can't comment much more than what I added in the quote above. Was "bad time" called? Need more info. on the rationale of the reversal of the call.
Old 03-10-18, 12:15 AM
All Region

CoachHoversten is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
1 min left, wrestler A is down 4-2 and gets a TD to tie.

30 sec left as wrestler B nearly gets to his feet wrester A letís him.

Wrestler B jogs away from wrestler A at least 10 feet toward center but never faces.

Ref gives escape.

Can you change a call that happened 30 seconds ďagoĒ and reset the clock after time had run out? On top of it how do they award the escape but not the TD?

Semifinals match, 220 D3 Skye vs Kuhn. Skye got completely robbed.
Watched this match...whole arena booed. My question, why didnít mogadore coach question this before they restarted on their feet?

As a former certified official, I can understand taking away the escape if that is what they decided was the right call, but then you restart on top/bottom because of ďbad timeĒ and he can ride out for OT. What did the other coach question? Iím assuming that an escape shouldnít have been called and therefore a takedown shouldnít/couldnít be called. Canít give escape and then say no takedown. So again, why didnít mogadore coach question this? Iíd have gotten head official over there.

Also, I HATE the ďruleĒ that a defensive wrestler must face to give 1. If they are no longer being controlled and have the ability to defend themselves, itís 1. If they choose to not defend themselves, thatís their choice and you get taken down for it. Definition of rule is control.
Old 03-10-18, 08:19 AM
All Region

Also, I HATE the ďruleĒ that a defensive wrestler must face to give 1. If they are no longer being controlled and have the ability to defend themselves, itís 1. If they choose to not defend themselves, thatís their choice and you get taken down for it. Definition of rule is control.[/QUOTE]

In the description above there is without question loss of control, regardless of whether wrestlers are facing each other. Maybe the TD was taken away because the defensive wrestler was unable to defend himself with his back turned. Don't know, wasn't there.
Old 03-10-18, 09:52 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350zjk View Post
Also, I HATE the ďruleĒ that a defensive wrestler must face to give 1. If they are no longer being controlled and have the ability to defend themselves, itís 1. If they choose to not defend themselves, thatís their choice and you get taken down for it. Definition of rule is control.

In the description above there is without question loss of control, regardless of whether wrestlers are facing each other. Maybe the TD was taken away because the defensive wrestler was unable to defend himself with his back turned. Don't know, wasn't there.[/QUOTE]

How can an escape be given if the defensive wrestler is not able to defend himself?

It either has to be escape and TD or no points at all. It canít be what was actually changed to, escape but no TD.
Old 03-10-18, 10:54 AM
All World

Found out later on the head coach for Mogadore was called to the head table and the local sports reporter was there.

Head table/head ref apologized for the botched call but there was nothing that could be done at this point. Such horse crap.
Old 03-10-18, 11:25 AM
All Region

How can an escape be given if the defensive wrestler is not able to defend himself?

It either has to be escape and TD or no points at all. It canít be what was actually changed to, escape but no TD.[/QUOTE]

Being able to defend oneself has nothing to do with loss of control. If you're 10 ft. away from your opponent after he WAS in control, it IS loss of control. Now if a TD is awarded when a wrestler's back is to his opponent it should be negated; unable to defend oneself.
Old 03-10-18, 11:45 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350zjk View Post

It either has to be escape and TD or no points at all. It canít be what was actually changed to, escape but no TD.

Being able to defend oneself has nothing to do with loss of control. If you're 10 ft. away from your opponent after he WAS in control, it IS loss of control. Now if a TD is awarded when a wrestler's back is to his opponent it should be negated; unable to defend oneself.[/QUOTE]

Even if the kid had plenty of opportunity to turn around? He jogged himself to center with his back turned and didnít turn around. So the offensive wrestler is punished for a kid not turning around when he had the chance?
Old 03-10-18, 11:59 AM
All Region

Even if the kid had plenty of opportunity to turn around? He jogged himself to center with his back turned and didnít turn around. So the offensive wrestler is punished for a kid not turning around when he had the chance?[/QUOTE]

I Should have been more precise. IF the wrestler makes no attempt to turn around it should be an immediate, quick stalling call. At that point if there is still no effort to face his opponent a TD can occur from behind. The stalling call and verbal escape justifies the ability to defend oneself.
Old 03-18-18, 03:50 PM
All World

Like_That
Send a message via AIM to Like_That
At the NCAA tourney the officials would put a device on top of one armband. It made it look like their armband had a large bulge. Does anyone know what it is?
Old 03-18-18, 04:35 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Like_That View Post
At the NCAA tourney the officials would put a device on top of one armband. It made it look like their armband had a large bulge. Does anyone know what it is?
Timer. Vibrates when time is out. Or is supposed to.
Old 03-19-18, 12:47 PM
All World

Like_That
Send a message via AIM to Like_That
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPhillips View Post
Timer. Vibrates when time is out. Or is supposed to.
Thank you. That is what we guessed, but we weren't 100% sure.
Old 09-20-18, 09:28 AM
Freshman

HHSCoach is on a distinguished road
The setup

Wrestler A is on top with both legs in but is high. Wrestler B reaches up- grabs his head and pulls him under. Wrestler A is going to his back - Wrestler B locks his hands as he pulls wrestler A to the mat.

Scenario 1- The legs of Wrestler A stay in as he is on his back- whats the call?

Scenario 2- The legs of Wrestler A come out and he flips over wrestler B- whats the call?

Nothing changes with Wrestler B's lock
Old 09-20-18, 11:17 AM
All Ohio

Jim Behrens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHSCoach View Post
The setup

Wrestler A is on top with both legs in but is high. Wrestler B reaches up- grabs his head and pulls him under. Wrestler A is going to his back - Wrestler B locks his hands as he pulls wrestler A to the mat.

Scenario 1- The legs of Wrestler A stay in as he is on his back- whats the call?

Scenario 2- The legs of Wrestler A come out and he flips over wrestler B- whats the call?

Nothing changes with Wrestler B's lock
There are too many variables to be able to decide without seeing it but, if I understand you correctly, wrestler B is the defensive wrestler?

If so, wrestler B can lock his hands all he wants with no penalty. If wrestler A is on his back for 2 seconds, it is a fall. The control (whether legs are in or not) does not matter in this case. However it sounds like an all or nothing move. If he is not held with shoulders in contact for 2 seconds, there likely is no change in control.
Look at Rule 7-1-5d or the picture on page 69 of the rule book.

In the second situation, depending on how they end up, it could be an escape, a reversal, or no change if wrestler A gets the control back.

Wrestling is very fluid (never static for long) so you wait to see how the situation ends up.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Jim Behrens; 09-21-18 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-05-18, 06:50 PM
All World

Growth allowance question. I know it’s +2 after Christmas. Someone told me it was +3 at the state tournament in Columbus. I can’t find this in the manual anywhere?
Old 10-08-18, 06:28 AM
All Ohio

Jim Behrens is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
Growth allowance question. I know itís +2 after Christmas. Someone told me it was +3 at the state tournament in Columbus. I canít find this in the manual anywhere?
Using this as a resource, nothing I read in paragraph 8 indicates that.
IOW, I would not count on it. OTOH, the OHSAA sometimes does the unexpected.

https://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Spor...ourneyRegs.pdf
Old 10-11-18, 08:02 AM
All Ohio

SLhornet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Behrens View Post
Using this as a resource, nothing I read in paragraph 8 indicates that.
IOW, I would not count on it. OTOH, the OHSAA sometimes does the unexpected.

https://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Spor...ourneyRegs.pdf
Page 9
Point 11

"11. Weigh-Ins
Scales are unavailable Wednesday, March 7. Scales will open Thursday, March 8 at 10:00 a.m. in the Aux
Gym. The wrestler will be able to weigh-in unofficially from 10:00 a.m. to 11:05 a.m. on the same scale which
he will weigh in officially beginning at his appointed time. Coaches are encouraged to utilize this unofficial weigh
in. By making the same scales available for the unofficial weigh in, it is anticipated that all wrestlers will make
weight during the official weigh in. All wrestlers must weigh in Thursday, March 8 from 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.
Weigh in shall be scratch weight plus 3 pounds for the Thursday Weigh In."