Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Moeller Crusaders

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-07-18, 03:02 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCLFan99 View Post
Are either of these two QB's the primary backup to McKenzie? If so for Moeller's sake I hope McKenzie stays healthy. It would be tough to rely on a back up who is only eligible for a portion of the season.

As for your comment about transferring for the right reason, I am going to assume you are implying that you hope it is not simply about football. I think we have all season countless examples of kids transferring for playing time, only for it to not work out. I think it is also risky to transfer with the hope of increasing your odds of gaining a college scholarship. While Moeller is a high profile program, there are also a larger number of good athletes one must compete against for playing time. If you are good enough to play at the college level, coaches will find you without having to play at a high profile program
Yes- I am implying and have no issue saying that I hope they came because they want to be a Moeller student, not just a crusader football player. I think McKenzie will be the primary QB this season- his IQ has never been a problem, his attitude and quickness has. experienced and strong O-line should help create gaps for our runners and I think that will be the majority of offense.
Old 08-07-18, 05:25 PM
All District

Redskins1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Kballer hit the nail on the head about McKenzie. His attitude is the question. I also agree about the experienced O-line. Rosfeld has always liked to pound the football and this will be 70% of the offense this year. Run, run, run and then over the top to Kayho or one of those WR's for a big play.

The team to watch in the GCL South this year is Elder.
Old 08-07-18, 08:40 PM
All American

This is be first year without a highly recruited TE in awhile for Moeller, but they have a couple that are big and strong that will be great blockers. Let the WR Corp do their thing and use the TEs to move meat
Old 08-07-18, 10:45 PM
Junior Varsity

ArnoldRothstien is on a distinguished road
Moe will show Princeton on Wednesday & Colerain nothing as far as what they will be running. It will be very vanilla. I doubt much of the defensive starters will play against Colerain. They chop block a lot and Acito & Roafeld will sit them. No need for any injuries
Old 08-08-18, 06:00 AM
This is the year

gocards is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnoldRothstien View Post
Moe will show Princeton on Wednesday & Colerain nothing as far as what they will be running. It will be very vanilla. I doubt much of the defensive starters will play against Colerain. They chop block a lot and Acito & Roafeld will sit them. No need for any injuries

More vanilla than what they ran in the playoffs last year?
Old 08-08-18, 06:29 AM
Varsity

foreword is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocards View Post
Go Cards shoots.......and scores!
Old 08-08-18, 10:42 AM
All Ohio

bluengoldblinders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnoldRothstien View Post
Calling BS on this, you don't sit your potential starters this early in preseason camp because they might get injured. REPS, REPS, REPS is what August is all about.

This program has/had been lacking toughness for at least the past three seasons and your thoughts about sitting starters in August are exactly why this has been a problem.

I played in the late 99s and this scrimmage has been going at least that long and is/was always the measuring stick on the level of physicality it was going to take to be successful that year, so these boys better buckle up those chinstrap because the ColeTRAIN is coming over Saturday and those boys are gonna be ready.
Old 08-08-18, 11:30 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocards View Post
Yes. They had no business in the playoffs
Old 08-08-18, 02:04 PM
Freshman

BigMoeFTW is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluengoldblinders View Post
Calling BS on this, you don't sit your potential starters this early in preseason camp because they might get injured. REPS, REPS, REPS is what August is all about.

This program has/had been lacking toughness for at least the past three seasons and your thoughts about sitting starters in August are exactly why this has been a problem.

I played in the late 99s and this scrimmage has been going at least that long and is/was always the measuring stick on the level of physicality it was going to take to be successful that year, so these boys better buckle up those chinstrap because the ColeTRAIN is coming over Saturday and those boys are gonna be ready.
I remember going to this scrimmage in the late 90s and early 2000s and this was treated like a game as far as intensity goes. HS football now a days is not what it used to be.
Old 08-08-18, 02:16 PM
All American

Because one guy on yappinsays thinks they may not use starting Defense everyone else starts saying how this isn’t what it used to be and these players are soft? Ask the seniors if they are ready- they were last week when Colerain cancelled the 7 on7-they even more ready now that the pads are on.
Old 08-08-18, 03:03 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoeFTW View Post
why not at Colerain? Moe only has a few sets of bleachers to actually get a good view of the action...
So the Colerain scrimmage is at Moe. This has always been a well attended scrimmage because of the two teams and that it's been played like a game. Why doesn't beck move it to Lockland where it will be better for fans?
Old 08-08-18, 03:29 PM
Freshman

Last years game at Winton Woods in the cold, rainy weather was unbearable to watch. Moe looked like more like Walnut Hills. They did not want to be there. Players laughing and joking on the sidelines while the players who actually played took a beating. Players play on plastic carpet and rubber now, not grass and dirt like they used to. I hope Rosfeld has brought the old-school football intensity back to the Big Moe and if he has, it should show in this upcoming scrimmage. Buckle up, hit 'em hard, hit 'em often. GBM.
Old 08-08-18, 04:19 PM
All Ohio

bluengoldblinders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
Because one guy on yappinsays thinks they may not use starting Defense everyone else starts saying how this isn’t what it used to be and these players are soft? Ask the seniors if they are ready- they were last week when Colerain cancelled the 7 on7-they even more ready now that the pads are on.
My intention is not to get a debate on the past and how kids are soft. My point is hopefully be told that the young man who insinuated there would be players held out was WRONG.

I still hope this scrimmage means what it always has...the best measuring stick of where these guys need to be physically. I tend to remember positive take aways from this scrimmage not that long ago when we won state titles and bad reviews when we had losing seasons most recently, so....I still contend this scrimmage matters and is a good indication of how far a Moeller team is or isn’t from competing at a high level.

I know Doug and I don’t think he’s of the mind to sit people “just cause.”
Old 08-08-18, 05:31 PM
Junior Varsity

The old days have gone away on how the team prepares. Some will always disagree and some will evolve. 2 -a-days now consist of 1hr 30 minutes periods in the morning and another in the afternoon which is more like a walkthrough with a 7 on 7.. 15-20 years ago they were two sessions of 3-4 hours with hitting and way more physical. Not saying either way is good or bad, just stating that times have changed in which the teams prepare. It’s just not done that way anymore. I’m just saying

Last edited by ArnoldRothstien; 08-08-18 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-08-18, 05:34 PM
Junior Varsity

With numbers down across the board at all the schools, players are more valuable because of those numbers. All the coaches want to prevent injury by working more mentally than risking injury to not only 1 position , but it may impact 2 positions of that player plays both ways.
Old 08-09-18, 07:19 AM
Freshman

Team and individual pics are up. No rosters yet. Frosh got a nice new set of uni's. Pics from the Princeton scrimmage are up as well with Luke Fickell in attendance.
Old 08-09-18, 08:05 AM
All District

Anyone at the scrimmage yesterday please give us some insight on how we looked? Thanks.
Old 08-09-18, 09:26 AM
All Ohio

The Game
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redskins1 View Post
Anyone at the scrimmage yesterday please give us some insight on how we looked? Thanks.
Unbiased opinion is Princeton was the better team on the field yesterday and Moeller has a lot of work to do before week 2 against Trinity. My biggest takeaway and surprise was the play of the offensive line. During the middle drill portion of the practice, I don't think we got a positive yard running the ball. Princeton was in the backfield almost instantly after the ball was snapped. They looked super fast and we looked slow up front. That carried over into the 11 on 11 scrimmage (the 1's only did a couple series). We had trouble getting any positive yards running the ball and pass protection broke down quickly. Princeton scored when it was 1's against 1's. Moeller's second team broke off some good plays. Princeton looked good especially their defense. Maybe Moeller was a little shell shocked because they haven't dealt with that type of speed up front this summer. I'm sure they will learn from it and get better.
Old 08-09-18, 11:43 AM
All District

Thanks for the update The Game. WOW! I'm surprised that we got beat up front like that. The OL is the strength of this team. We will go only as far as the OL takes us. I'm sure Rosfeld is in the trenches today coaching them up. Saturday's scrimmage is going to be physical so our OL better be ready for the challenge that lies ahead. GBM!
Old 08-09-18, 11:50 AM
Junior Varsity

Julian and Ricky is on a distinguished road
Besides Carpenter the OL isn't very good and the coaches don't do a very good job at getting the best RBs in the game. Watkins is more of a fullback than anything else but they run him like he's a tailback. Ross and Berry are the best too true tailbacks on the team but they aren't given the ball nearly enough. Expect the run game too struggle until these to get more reps.
Old 08-09-18, 09:01 PM
Varsity

Fake Taxi is on a distinguished road
Fake Taxi's QB Camp Depth Chart vs. Colerain
Here are my projections for the qb lineup going into Saturday's scrimmage. Keep in mind Cloud falls under the old transfer rule so he will not be able to play. For this reason he will not be included.

1. Mitch McKenzie Sr./Daniel Caudill Jr. - Caudill had a strong performance on Wednesday so expect to see these two in some kind of starting rotation. Could be anything from play to play to drive to drive to quarter to quarter. Anyway you put it these two are on about equal footing.

3. Malik Verdon So. - Verdon is athletic but he still needs to mature in his decision making process. Didn't look great on Wednesday but he's still a work in progress. Should still get plenty of reps in the 2nd half on Saturday.

4. TJ Rotello So. - Rotello is very talented but he has lately been used more as a RB instead of a QB. Most likely he won't get any QB reps unless someone goes down. Should get decent reps at RB though.
Old 08-10-18, 05:51 AM
All District

For those who have been to the Princeton scrimmage and practices how far is McKenzie in ahead of Caudill? Does Verdon help us as a wildcat QB? Would make opponents have to prepare for him whether it's one play or multiple plays. I heard that the plan is to move Rotello. He played QB last year for the first time ever? I think they see him as a RB which I think was the position he played in Jr. High. The thing that I like seeing is the competition at the QB position. We have not had that in a number of years. To have five QB's gives you the ability to develop QB's. Majors will do a great job coaching and developing them. GBM!
Old 08-10-18, 07:55 AM
Junior Varsity

Bigugly1 is on a distinguished road
In my opinion, Verdon is closer to Caudill then Caudill is to Mckenzie. Especially if Moe's running game can't get on track! There is no issue with the coaches getting the ball to the proper running back. Watkins is a beast and will have a very good year with a few minor adjustments. Although the OL is not stellar there is enough talent to be successful. Coaches need to adjust a bit and design the blocking schemes to fit the talent.
Old 08-10-18, 10:19 AM
All District

Verdon is young being a soph but he is tall and athletic. Question: could he be a McBride playing the QB position next year? Boy that would be nice!!!
Old 08-10-18, 01:29 PM
All Ohio

The Game
I'm not trying to make excuses, but over on the GMC thread on the main board people have made comments about how good Princeton's defense is this year and their d-line may be the best in the league since some of those great Colerain defensive fronts. Rosfeld will get it figured out. We all thought there would be a learning curve with this team with all the changes.

I have no insight, but I would guess this is Verdon's team the next two years. McKenzie seems like he is the solid starter. He is going to have some weapons to throw the ball to especially in the red zone. Besides Khayo, Land is an athlete and gives them height on the outside. I think McCracken is going to blossom this year too. Valentine seems solid on the defensive side of the ball and he was getting some reps in at wide receiver too. There is a lot of potential there and I have confidence it will get developed. In the scrimmage, after McKenzie, #17 was the next QB in and then Verdon got a series.

Colerain scrimmage is tomorrow.
Old 08-10-18, 01:34 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian and Ricky View Post
Besides Carpenter the OL isn't very good and the coaches don't do a very good job at getting the best RBs in the game. Watkins is more of a fullback than anything else but they run him like he's a tailback. Ross and Berry are the best too true tailbacks on the team but they aren't given the ball nearly enough. Expect the run game too struggle until these to get more reps.
You mean jULIAN Berry, Julian And Ricky?
Old 08-10-18, 02:44 PM
Junior Varsity

Julian and Ricky is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
You mean jULIAN Berry, Julian And Ricky?
No, more like Julian and Ricky of the Sunnyvale trailer park in Nova Scotia, Canada. I get that my name can be confused with that of a star players but I'm not affiliated with any said players.
Old 08-10-18, 05:34 PM
Junior Varsity

I told you. Rosefeld isn’t showing Princeton anything. Come on guys. He’ll play a little vs Colerain, but is a scrimmage. It’s like how the Cleveland Browns go undefeated in preseason...it doesn’t mean a whole lot other than “please get some reps, but don’t have any injuries” Who cares. It’s not a big deal that both colerain and X are in top 10 in USA Today too this year. Wooo Hooo. Raise the preseason trophy
Old 08-10-18, 05:39 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoeFTW View Post
Schedules are up for the Frosh and JV. Only 9 games each. Frosh dropped the GCL B games. Not sure if that's due to roster size or money (has to be roster size IMO because how much can it cost to run a Frosh football game).
Based on Elder's Frosh schedule it looks like they'll be doing a 5th Qtr with Moeller and a B game with St X still.
http://www.ehsports.com/team/schedul...shman/Football
Old 08-10-18, 05:59 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian and Ricky View Post
No, more like Julian and Ricky of the Sunnyvale trailer park in Nova Scotia, Canada. I get that my name can be confused with that of a star players but I'm not affiliated with any said players.
I am familiar- your post just screamed of parent goggles. “Star” is being thrown around a little easily there, eh?