Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-01-18, 01:48 PM
All Yappi

JElder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rick View Post
Hey JElder, how about Price to your school?
There have been rumors about your coach stepping down for awhile. Are they just unfounded rumors?
There have been rumors about JS stepping down for the last 5 years. I think it's obvious they were unfound rumors. Once he does step down Austing will be the first and only call to fill the position if he accepts.
Old 08-01-18, 08:45 PM
All Region

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
I think Austing still teaches at Fairfield. Rumor had it that it was serious family pressure for him to step back from varsity basketball. I thought he was going to coach at Elder right away.
Old 08-03-18, 02:18 PM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASESWIMPARENT View Post
I think Austing still teaches at Fairfield. Rumor had it that it was serious family pressure for him to step back from varsity basketball. I thought he was going to coach at Elder right away.
The family pressure you speak about is laughable. Tim left Fairfield Basketball to spend time coaching his son at Elder.

No one ever thought Tim was going to be the head coach right away (if ever). Joe has earned the right to leave on his own terms. Tim's oldest son is a senior this year. Not sure Tim even wants to be the head coach (or coach at all) beyond this year.
Old 08-03-18, 08:53 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURPLE REIGN View Post
The family pressure you speak about is laughable. Tim left Fairfield Basketball to spend time coaching his son at Elder.

No one ever thought Tim was going to be the head coach right away (if ever). Joe has earned the right to leave on his own terms. Tim's oldest son is a senior this year. Not sure Tim even wants to be the head coach (or coach at all) beyond this year.
Well good for him. It takes a strong man to stop pursuing a dream of winning a State championship to drop back and coach his son at his alma mater with no hope of being the head coach. He had a good program going at Fairfield and some kids in the pipeline that were fairly well known. When he left, the program completely fell apart. Kind of shame for the kids that were coming back the next year.
Old 08-04-18, 05:52 PM
All American

trey2k is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't buy this "earned the right to leave on his own terms" - for any coach. A shake-up could be a great thing for Elder and Schoenfeld could still be a part of the program in a different role. He's good for the development of the hard working and team attitude. In fact, he excels at it...I just think it's time for a more up-to-date program for Elder.

I hope for Elder's sake Austing wants to do it when that time comes.
Old 08-06-18, 05:35 PM
All Region

Austing is one hell of a varsity coach. Fairfield really misses him.
Old 08-07-18, 12:19 PM
All World

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Coach Schoenfeld is Elder. He is an alum, he was an assistant, teaches, and is their HC. Elder doesn't do what Moeller, St. X, Roger Bacon, Purcell, or LaSalle does with recruiting. They are a west side school that has student-athletes from their parishes. I don't see that changing. Coach Schoenfeld stays true to that. Coach Austing is a proven successful coach. In all probability when Coach Schoenfeld decides to go he will be the guy if he wants to be. Of course...there is the other west side guy......
Old 08-07-18, 11:41 PM
All Region

Quote:
Coach Schoenfeld is Elder. He is an alum, he was an assistant, teaches, and is their HC. Elder doesn't do what Moeller, St. X, Roger Bacon, Purcell, or LaSalle does with recruiting. They are a west side school that has student-athletes from their parishes. I don't see that changing. Coach Schoenfeld stays true to that. Coach Austing is a proven successful coach. In all probability when Coach Schoenfeld decides to go he will be the guy if he wants to be. Of course...there is the other west side guy......
Well if X basketball is recruiting then they need to find a new recruiting coordinator because the current one has been doing a horrible job since 2013.
Old 08-08-18, 09:34 AM
All World

Quote:
Well if X basketball is recruiting then they need to find a new recruiting coordinator because the current one has been doing a horrible job since 2013.
This whole thread started about Lallathin's termination. Scott Martin did not recruit. Lallathin certainly did.
Old 08-08-18, 11:06 AM
All American

Quote:
I mean, I agree with everything you wrote, but how do you balance all that with success? Even the most faithful supporters would have to admit that the results have fallen continuing this way. How do you combat the pressure if it stays the same?

To me, it's fine if they continue down this path, but the AD has to set the expectations that that's the way they're going to run their programs. And then people can decide if Elder is right for them.
Old 08-08-18, 01:59 PM
All World

trey2k, it is also true that there is some frustration with the current state. There is some belief that Coach Schoenfeld could be a little more they do as a program, not recruiting just more in line with other D1 HS's in Cincinnati.
Old 08-08-18, 06:47 PM
All Region

Quote:
This whole thread started about Lallathin's termination. Scott Martin did not recruit. Lallathin certainly did.
I am joking. The Saint X recruiting complaint is complete nonsense. One cannot go to X and thrive academically if one does not have the (a) the talent and (b) the study skills. It was like that when the school was downtown and it is like that on Northbend Road. It sounds like Lallathin was a shady character. From what I hear, he certainly had no attention to detail. What cannot be argued is that under Coach Martin, for whatever reason, the program was not trending well. What also cannot be argued is that good players who were strong enough academically to succeed at X and had a family history of attending the school were not going to X because they did not want to play Coach Martin's style. He was given some time to turn it around and when things did not get better, changes were made.
Old 08-09-18, 08:20 AM
All American

Quote:
I am joking. The Saint X recruiting complaint is complete nonsense. One cannot go to X and thrive academically if one does not have the (a) the talent and (b) the study skills. It was like that when the school was downtown and it is like that on Northbend Road. It sounds like Lallathin was a shady character. From what I hear, he certainly had no attention to detail. What cannot be argued is that under Coach Martin, for whatever reason, the program was not trending well. What also cannot be argued is that good players who were strong enough academically to succeed at X and had a family history of attending the school were not going to X because they did not want to play Coach Martin's style. He was given some time to turn it around and when things did not get better, changes were made.
I think this is part of the reason Elder basketball has slid a bit. I don't think basketball players like playing in the grind it out, ultra-physical style that Fleming, Martin, and Schoenfeld utilize.

X and LaSalle have changed that to a more free-flowing style. Moe can pretty much play whatever style they choose with their talent. The flow and pace of Elder's basketball games can be brutal.

Hopefully that changes with the good classes they have coming up.
Old 08-09-18, 03:43 PM
All Yappi

PURPLE REIGN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey2k View Post
I think this is part of the reason Elder basketball has slid a bit. I don't think basketball players like playing in the grind it out, ultra-physical style that Fleming, Martin, and Schoenfeld utilize.

X and LaSalle have changed that to a more free-flowing style. Moe can pretty much play whatever style they choose with their talent. The flow and pace of Elder's basketball games can be brutal.

Hopefully that changes with the good classes they have coming up.

The talent Elder has (or lack thereof) dictates their pace of play. It's been brutal because they've been offensively challenged for quite awhile. Yes, they have had a couple shooters here and there but few if anyone who can create his own shot.

Similar to football where Elder gets no "easy touchdowns", in basketball, every Elder bucket seems like hard work.

As you mentioned, Elder has basketball talent in the 9, 10, and 11th grades. Let's hope it continues to improve and the players continue to get bigger. If it does, Elder will be able to play a bit more free-flowing style and wont be as reliant on 20+ screens and cuts.
Old 08-09-18, 04:54 PM
All Region

Even though I talked to the LW AD about this and he told me why, Ohio High School Basketball needs a shot clock. It is almost unwatchable sometimes.
Old 08-09-18, 05:12 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Even though I talked to the LW AD about this and he told me why, Ohio High School Basketball needs a shot clock. It is almost unwatchable sometimes.
How many times has the shot clock been voted down in the last 10 years?
Old 08-09-18, 07:36 PM
All Region

Until it becomes a national standard, the OHSAA will not adopt the shot clock
Old 08-11-18, 10:08 AM
All American

cincyhoops is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Until it becomes a national standard, the OHSAA will not adopt the shot clock
USA Basketball suggested shot clock for high school and even ages 12-14. Even though it's not the NFHS I would think states would want to do what USA basketball suggests.

https://www.usab.com/news-events/new...standards.aspx
Old 08-11-18, 10:18 AM
All American

I like these rules. 24 second shot clock may be pushing it however. I would go 30 across the board. For one, it eliminates coaches completely controlling games. Let the players play.

Two, it just provides a better basketball product. It creates a better player and a better athlete if it forces players into situations where they have to create shots. That is severely lacking with today's non-elite high basketball players.
Old 08-11-18, 10:35 AM
All World

NFHS, if you want to follow the potential status of the shot clock pay attention to NFHS. There is one potential new factor, a new leader at the OHSAA. Dan Ross was all in as a NFHS member, I don't know if Jerry Snodgrass feels the same.
Old 08-11-18, 11:21 AM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
NFHS, if you want to follow the potential status of the shot clock pay attention to NFHS. There is one potential new factor, a new leader at the OHSAA. Dan Ross was all in as a NFHS member, I don't know if Jerry Snodgrass feels the same.
To your point:

http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20...oots-down-idea