Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-21-18, 11:38 AM
All American

C'Town216 is on a distinguished road
OSU commit Alonzo Gaffney leaving Garfield Hts for Prep School?

This appeared on my twitter feed this afternoon and is not surprising to me in all honesty. Gaffney an OSU commit who won a state title with VASJ in 2017 before transferring to Garfield Hts would be transferring to a prep school out in Connecticut. Do you think this is legit? If so, huge loss for Garfield Hts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-18, 12:47 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
If true, it is a HUGE loss for Garfield Heights. I hope its not true. Three schools in three years has to be tough on a young man. But I'm old-fashioned that way. If he decides to go, I wish him the best. He's a heckuva player and a match up nightmare for my Irish!
Old 06-21-18, 12:55 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
I'm just curious what these college coaches think on the issue. Are they pushing kids to these prep schools? Don't really care? Or are they wanting these kids to stay home?

Not positive but I thought I had heard that Thad Matta encouraged this type of movement...
Old 06-21-18, 01:59 PM
All Ohio

MugnMaul78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I'm just curious what these college coaches think on the issue. Are they pushing kids to these prep schools? Don't really care? Or are they wanting these kids to stay home?

Not positive but I thought I had heard that Thad Matta encouraged this type of movement...
I have never heard that of Thad. I always heard he was more of an old school guy and frowned on transfers as a sign of other troubles. We had a guy at VASJ that he was after for basketball as freshman, Jaylen Harris. Thad ended up not offering but obviously OSU football did. I think the transferring hurt Jaylen on the basketball side of things but if he works hard, he could definitely be in the NFL as WR.
Old 06-21-18, 02:03 PM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by MugnMaul78 View Post
I have never heard that of Thad. I always heard he was more of an old school guy and frowned on transfers as a sign of other troubles. We had a guy at VASJ that he was after for basketball as freshman, Jaylen Harris. Thad ended up not offering but obviously OSU football did. I think the transferring hurt Jaylen on the basketball side of things but if he works hard, he could definitely be in the NFL as WR.
Thad was/is a fan of prep schools. He stats the advantage of playing more games, against better competition and being away from home. Being away from home in high school usually doesn't require an adjustment period once they are on OSU's campus (or any school's campus for that matter).

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...of-prep-school
Old 06-21-18, 02:09 PM
All Ohio

MugnMaul78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Thad was/is a fan of prep schools. He stats the advantage of playing more games, against better competition and being away from home. Being away from home in high school usually doesn't require an adjustment period once they are on OSU's campus (or any school's campus for that matter).

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...of-prep-school
Well there you go, I stand corrected, thank you for that. Maybe the concern I heard about was related to high school to high school transfers instead of high school to Prep School transfers.
Old 06-21-18, 02:12 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Could this possible transfer be for academic reasons? ala JaKarr Sampson who was given an individualized course load when he transferred to the prep school.
Old 06-21-18, 02:33 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugnMaul78 View Post
Well there you go, I stand corrected, thank you for that. Maybe the concern I heard about was related to high school to high school transfers instead of high school to Prep School transfers.
My guess is you'd be right. All the reasons he's listed as pro's were unique to prep schools.
Old 06-21-18, 02:33 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
Could this possible transfer be for academic reasons? ala JaKarr Sampson who was given an individualized course load when he transferred to the prep school.
Huh, I had no idea Sampson was from NEO.
Old 06-21-18, 02:36 PM
All World

SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Huh, I had no idea Sampson was from NEO.
Went to SVSM soph & junior years before transfer to prep school. His brother is a recent graduate currently on a FB scholly at Akron.
Old 06-21-18, 03:19 PM
All World

Bball216 is an unknown quantity at this point
Remember who called this after Shaker knocked Garfield out of the state tournament. He posted on Twitter "so many regrets". He was not happy at Garfield and things will not get any better with Sonny Jr coming in. I dont know for sure but this could also be academic driven. I have always thought him leaving the structure of Joe's was a mistake. He is a good kid and I wish him the best. I cannot wait to see him in a Buckeye uniform. If he in fact is going to a good prep school their schedules are usually very tough and it will help him come college time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
Old 06-22-18, 01:15 AM
All Yappi

Worm02 is on a distinguished road
If T.J. Peatross tweeted it, you can bet the house that it's true.
Old 06-22-18, 09:13 AM
Varsity

Unlimited Potential is on a distinguished road
If this happens, this move makes sense. Nothing for him to gain playing against regular high schools anymore. He needs to continue to develop his wing game playing against the caliber of competition he will be facing in the Big 10.
Old 06-22-18, 01:46 PM
Junior Varsity

radiodavel 2 is an unknown quantity at this point
New OHSAA Transfer Rules Won't Stop The Stars From Moving Out-of-State https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2018/06/21/new-ohsaa-transfer-rules-wont-stop-the-stars-from-moving-out-of-state

Numerous cases like this just not in Ohio, but around the country....
Old 06-22-18, 01:52 PM
All World

I'll give it to you dave, you're dedicated.

Last edited by Taco MacArthur; 06-22-18 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-22-18, 02:17 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodavel 2 View Post
New OHSAA Transfer Rules Won't Stop The Stars From Moving Out-of-State https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2018/06/21/new-ohsaa-transfer-rules-wont-stop-the-stars-from-moving-out-of-state

Wait, was there ever any thought that it'd have any affect at all on players leaving the state? Is this news to someone?
Old 06-22-18, 09:05 PM
All Region

Curious One is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post

I donít think Garfield is well thought of so far as developing the fundamentals of their players. I heard this from one college coach. If you look at the record of their kids leaving programs, it might confirm this.
Old 06-23-18, 12:44 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious One View Post
I donít think Garfield is well thought of so far as developing the fundamentals of their players. I heard this from one college coach. If you look at the record of their kids leaving programs, it might confirm this.
It has always seemed to many that Sonny is far better at accumulating talent than he is developing it. The same was said about Coach Dru at St. V., and not without some merit. To his credit, Coach Dru put together quite a coaching staff around him; especially Mike Meneer. And you know what, from all accounts, Coach Dru has improved as an X's and O's guy dramatically over the past few years. I don't know if Sonny has the makeup to accept that he has more to learn, but it would serve both himself and his players if he did.
Old 06-24-18, 06:15 AM
-

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiodavel 2 View Post

I am not sure why I'm asking, but is this something you think should not be allowed (somehow)?
Old 06-25-18, 07:05 PM
All Region

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Huge loss for Garfield? Didn't they not even make it out of districts this year with him? Garfield is the most hyped up team in NE Ohio and 90% of the kids on the team aren't even from/don't even live in the city and they under achieve every with while recruiting kids!!!! Gaffney followed the hype to Garfield and was unhappy all year from multiple sources. He should have stayed at VASJ.
Old 06-25-18, 07:08 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
Seriously doubt this. From what I had heard Gaffney was an average student, nothing more, nothing less. He's leaving Garfield because he thinks hes going to the league. That prep school had better put him on a bulking diet.
Old 06-25-18, 07:44 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribefan23 View Post
Huge loss for Garfield? Didn't they not even make it out of districts this year with him? Garfield is the most hyped up team in NE Ohio and 90% of the kids on the team aren't even from/don't even live in the city and they under achieve every with while recruiting kids!!!! Gaffney followed the hype to Garfield and was unhappy all year from multiple sources. He should have stayed at VASJ.
Spot on.
Old 06-25-18, 10:00 PM
All Ohio

Look Ma No Hands is on a distinguished road
Can't help but enjoy the irony that two schools that make a living with other district's kids lose the same kid. Are we supposed to feel bad for those schools?
Old 06-26-18, 11:14 AM
All World

I dont think anybody does or should feel bad for the schools - feel bad for the kid. His Father has done nothing but make bad decisions on his behalf. Even at Joe's he struggled with his grades - even though many were helping him. I heard it got even worse at Garfield. He could have EASILY got the OSU scholarship while playing at Joe's. What he really needed was the culture, structure and strict standards that VASJ has off the court. He got all the college offers based off his sophomore state tournament and his following AAU season. He was holding double digit offers before he ever set foot at Garfield. Zo is a good kid who I feel really did not want to leave VASJ. I wish him nothing but the best and I cannot wait to see him in a Buckeye uniform. Once he gets on that college workout program he will be a beast.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Sport Forums smart
Old 06-26-18, 10:39 PM
All Region

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Look Ma No Hands View Post
Can't help but enjoy the irony that two schools that make a living with other district's kids lose the same kid. Are we supposed to feel bad for those schools?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-18, 01:10 PM
All Ohio

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
I dont think anybody does or should feel bad for the schools - feel bad for the kid. His Father has done nothing but make bad decisions on his behalf. Even at Joe's he struggled with his grades - even though many were helping him. I heard it got even worse at Garfield. He could have EASILY got the OSU scholarship while playing at Joe's. What he really needed was the culture, structure and strict standards that VASJ has off the court. He got all the college offers based off his sophomore state tournament and his following AAU season. He was holding double digit offers before he ever set foot at Garfield. Zo is a good kid who I feel really did not want to leave VASJ. I wish him nothing but the best and I cannot wait to see him in a Buckeye uniform. Once he gets on that college workout program he will be a beast.
According to 247 he received all but one of his offers after playing his AAU season. With so many colleges playing during the OHSAA state tournament, those specific games can create a small amount of visibility for big time D1 recruits. HE would have easily got an OSU scholarship while playing at any high school as long as he was being seen playing in May-June-July.
Old 08-01-18, 09:43 AM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
https://twitter.com/11W/status/1024666664011542533

Quote:
Ohio State basketball commit Alonzo Gaffney will transfer to Brewster Academy in New Hampshire for final year of high school basketball
Old 08-01-18, 02:30 PM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20180...er-is-official
Old 08-03-18, 01:58 PM
All Region

Pretty big names coming out of there. He did the right thing getting out of Garfield
Old 08-07-18, 12:35 PM
Junior Varsity

Carol Danvers is on a distinguished road
Who pays the $54-59,000 tuition?