Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-01-18, 07:23 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,901
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Homeless

There's been alot of issues and hand wringing on the homeless in Cincinnati recently. Why? It's not a new issue. We've had homeless people around for years and years...in fact...remember way back when they were hobo's and there was an air of fun about it. It was the town drunk who never amounted to anything.

Now we have the left who want to "fix" everything and simply can't let people fall on their faces.

The homeless now for some reason have organized and seem like they are "entitled" to something???

Mike McConnell - who always seems to have the right opinion on things - just said it this morning. For the most part, these people have made many, many many bad choices to get to their current state. They didn't just lose a job last week and are suddenly homeless. Yes, many have drug problems, yes, many have mental issues. But there is/ was programs available years ago that could have helped them. Many of these people want to be homeless, or they simply don't want to do what's required to get them out of this. They've burned every last bridge with family / friends and they are now homeless.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 08-01-18, 08:01 AM
Dale Cooper Dale Cooper is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 06-12-18
Location: Twin Peaks, WA
Posts: 486
Dale Cooper is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
There's been alot of issues and hand wringing on the homeless in Cincinnati recently. Why? It's not a new issue. We've had homeless people around for years and years...in fact...remember way back when they were hobo's and there was an air of fun about it. It was the town drunk who never amounted to anything.

Now we have the left who want to "fix" everything and simply can't let people fall on their faces.

The homeless now for some reason have organized and seem like they are "entitled" to something???

Mike McConnell - who always seems to have the right opinion on things - just said it this morning. For the most part, these people have made many, many many bad choices to get to their current state. They didn't just lose a job last week and are suddenly homeless. Yes, many have drug problems, yes, many have mental issues. But there is/ was programs available years ago that could have helped them. Many of these people want to be homeless, or they simply don't want to do what's required to get them out of this. They've burned every last bridge with family / friends and they are now homeless.
Iím more sympathetic bc some of them are vets who couldnít reintegrate into society. That said, walking past the settlement on the other side of the street, it reeked of every mixture of bodily fluid imaginable. Itís a health crisis and needs to be dealt with.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-01-18, 08:14 AM
Crusaders Crusaders is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 35,272
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Socialists love to use the homeless as political pawns to further their agenda, and it's pretty repulsive.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-01-18, 08:14 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,901
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Iím more sympathetic bc some of them are vets who couldnít reintegrate into society. That said, walking past the settlement on the other side of the street, it reeked of every mixture of bodily fluid imaginable. Itís a health crisis and needs to be dealt with.
Again, here is where we start "sympathizing"...I'm not saying there aren't issues that are somewhat out of the control of these people, but if you are pitching a tent, in a public place, and there are drug needles, other paraphernalia, feces, urine...then that's simply not acceptable.

Yes, there may have not been programs 20+ years ago for vets, but those days are long gone. There are so many outreach programs for any ailment you can find out there.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-01-18, 08:28 AM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 4,909
Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Didn't you post essentially the same thread like 6 months ago?

http://yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309302
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-01-18, 08:42 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,051
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Many of these people want to be homeless, or they simply don't want to do what's required to get them out of this. They've burned every last bridge with family / friends and they are now homeless.
Damn, man. I know I've ragged on you a lot but serious props to you for going down along 3rd Street and talking to each individual homeless person, getting their story and finding out how they got to where they are. Most people just look at them in disgust, you look at them as people. That's very big of you.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-01-18, 08:50 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,901
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Didn't you post essentially the same thread like 6 months ago?

http://yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309302
Thanks for keeping stats for me Nap...nothing better going on today??? You ever say something twice...and isn't this timely now???
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-01-18, 08:52 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,901
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Damn, man. I know I've ragged on you a lot but serious props to you for going down along 3rd Street and talking to each individual homeless person, getting their story and finding out how they got to where they are. Most people just look at them in disgust, you look at them as people. That's very big of you.
And I'm sure you've done the same...

My post is in general...and it's the truth for most...you like to take the 3% of a situation and base your beliefs on that. I tend to go with the percentages...the overwhelming percentages...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-01-18, 09:23 AM
OhioBobcatFan06 OhioBobcatFan06 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-06-05
Location: ohio bobcats hoops
Posts: 18,258
OhioBobcatFan06 is on a distinguished road
I don't mind efforts to help people who are genuinely homeless as many times there is an (obvious) mental health issue.

What annoys me is people asking for money on every corner when a decent amount of them are not actually homeless.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-01-18, 09:24 AM
ohiopup ohiopup is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-07-01
Location: Grove City
Posts: 8,195
ohiopup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
...
Yes, there may have not been programs 20+ years ago for vets, but those days are long gone. There are so many outreach programs for any ailment you can find out there.
Not true. There are plenty of programs for US Veterans that are having problems,
every county in Ohio as a Veterans Service Commission office...

"Our Mission
On February 13, 1862, the General Assembly of the State of Ohio memorialized its decision to provide "for the relief of the necessities to .[veteran]. who now are, or hereafter may be, in the service of the state or the United States."

They will help any Vet for any number of reasons.

Franklin County... https://vets.franklincountyohio.gov/#

You just need a DD-214 and if you don't have one they will help you get one and have it recorded
so you don't even have to carry it. They will also help you secure a Veterans ID Card.
(I don't have a Vet-ID / I carry my Military retired ID and my drivers license also
indicates that I am a Vet)

And that doesn't count the various Vet fraternal organizations...
VFW, Army-Navy Club, American Legion, Marine Corps League, etc...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...#United_States

~ ~ ~

I would bet that a lot of those 'Vets' that are asking for hand outs (you've seen the signs"...
"Veteran, please help,,, etc..." aren't Vets at all.

:>---

Semper Fi
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-01-18, 10:13 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 70,317
eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Make being homeless fun again.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-01-18, 10:22 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,051
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
And I'm sure you've done the same...

My post is in general...and it's the truth for most...you like to take the 3% of a situation and base your beliefs on that. I tend to go with the percentages...the overwhelming percentages...
I never claimed to have done the same. I've also never pretended to know that homeless people want to be homeless without any factual evidence to back it up like you did.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-01-18, 10:27 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 70,317
eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Sure some have mental illness, but they’ve made very vey bad choices, their families hate them, and often they simply just want to be homeless, so they aren’t deserving of any help or assistance. Lol.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-01-18, 12:02 PM
Crusaders Crusaders is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-06-04
Location: Not Cincinnati
Posts: 35,272
Crusaders is on a distinguished road
14red is more correct about the homeless than many want to believe. The ones that are homeless out of bad luck do not stay homeless long. The ones that are long term homeless have no ambition to not be homeless. They're generally people who want to live a life devoid of any responsibility. I know this after talking to hundreds of homeless people. Oh, and they are very good manipulators and liars. Most of the sob stories you hear from them are pure BS aimed at gaining sympathy and ultimately some of your cash. This is of course not applicable to the many who have a mental illness.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-01-18, 12:50 PM
arizonawildcat arizonawildcat is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-13-09
Posts: 7,251
arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
When I first moved to Tucson, I was shocked by the number of apparently homeless people roaming the streetss. Then someone explained that it was because of the weather as it rarely got below 50 even on winter nights. One or two blankets would do the trick as they slept in one of the parks.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-01-18, 01:23 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 70,317
eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Heard on the radio this afternoon roughly a quarter of the homeless in Cincinnati are under 18 and a third are families. Also, they stated that the majority sleeping on the streets (those generally refusing to stay at shelters) have behavioral health and/or substance abuse issues.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-01-18, 03:33 PM
USA70PP USA70PP is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-26-16
Location: West of Marion, Ohio
Posts: 855
USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
Food for thought for those lamenting vets being homeless. Active duty military are counted as homeless when they are on leave going to a new assignment, when they get to the new assignment until they find permanent quarters and possibly (I'm not certain of this) when they are TDY. They are counted that way because they have no permanent address at the time. Plus the numbers don't hurt when it comes to groups begging for money to help the "homeless".
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-01-18, 04:28 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 18,164
eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
I don't want to see vets as yet another special interest group. Vets are owed what they are owed and that's about it.

The elephant: being a vet, is not the same as being a combat vet. And even as a combat vet, you are responsible for yourself.

Using the government as a charitable mercenary, even for vets in MY opinion takes the charity out of charity. If someone has as red stated, burned every bridge, that is on them and that puts them on the mercy of the charitable feelings of others. They should not become another welfare state, other than as is applied to anyone due those services.

How to dispense that charity? There are organized gangs of beggers claiming this and that. I don't feel people should have to risk harrassment or scams or even approach just because they walk down a street but hedge my bet, what should be forbidden and what is just bad manners.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-01-18, 05:32 PM
Southwest Guy Southwest Guy is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-05-02
Posts: 13,619
Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
So city hall made a big deal about being a sanctuary city but when it comes to homeless local citizens just don't build a tent on our streets. Is the fence up yet to keep them out and off 3rd street ?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-01-18, 06:28 PM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 10,937
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
As a general rule, if you are homeless and not in a shelter you have a mental health issue and/or an inability or unwillingness to comply with simple rules.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-02-18, 08:31 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,901
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
I don't want to see vets as yet another special interest group. Vets are owed what they are owed and that's about it.

The elephant: being a vet, is not the same as being a combat vet. And even as a combat vet, you are responsible for yourself.

Using the government as a charitable mercenary, even for vets in MY opinion takes the charity out of charity. If someone has as red stated, burned every bridge, that is on them and that puts them on the mercy of the charitable feelings of others. They should not become another welfare state, other than as is applied to anyone due those services.

How to dispense that charity? There are organized gangs of beggers claiming this and that. I don't feel people should have to risk harrassment or scams or even approach just because they walk down a street but hedge my bet, what should be forbidden and what is just bad manners.
We are more giving society than at any time in history. Free food stores, homeless shelters, government subsidy housing, we give, give, give folks. And that's part of the problem. We are creating generations of irresponsible people who simply have zero work ethic. Actually read and article the other day that health insurers are considering delivering healthy meals to people because they can't make healthy meals for themselves. Let's see how that one works out.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-02-18, 01:49 PM
eastisbest eastisbest is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-27-06
Posts: 18,164
eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
We are more giving society than at any time in history. Free food stores, homeless shelters, government subsidy housing, we give, give, give folks. And that's part of the problem. We are creating generations of irresponsible people who simply have zero work ethic. Actually read and article the other day that health insurers are considering delivering healthy meals to people because they can't make healthy meals for themselves. Let's see how that one works out.

Somewhere you said you follow the percentages. What are your percentages that health insurers are considering delivering healthy meals has to do with profits and losses? They see money in it?


If a for profit or private business is involved in company MANDATED "charitable" effort, it is being done for business. The conversation here is government charity, not private enterprise "charity" nor private citizen charity. Hiring the government as a mercenary does not bring a feeling of self fullfillment to me and I wouldn't let anyone extort me into that belief. I don't believe it satisfies my responsibilities as a human being to hire the government as my charitable mediator.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-02-18, 03:47 PM
EagleFan's Avatar
EagleFan EagleFan is offline
Scatologist
 
Join Date: 03-04-02
Location: Ohio
Posts: 21,389
EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Didn't you post essentially the same thread like 6 months ago?

http://yappi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309302
give him a break. maybe he's still homeless.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-02-18, 08:35 PM
Username1 Username1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-13-17
Posts: 2,431
Username1 is on a distinguished road
The list of demands they created was precious. Gtfo and go to a shelter.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-02-18, 08:36 PM
Username1 Username1 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-13-17
Posts: 2,431
Username1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest Guy View Post
So city hall made a big deal about being a sanctuary city but when it comes to homeless local citizens just don't build a tent on our streets. Is the fence up yet to keep them out and off 3rd street ?
Bingo
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's going on in the world ronnie mund Debate Forum 9081 10-23-18 01:05 PM
Plan to house Akronís homeless in tiny homes faces big opposition Yappi Debate Forum 14 07-13-18 07:57 AM
CHL Basketball 2017-18 Eagles123 Boys Basketball 1569 04-30-18 11:37 AM
Fighting Homelessness 14Red General Board 76 01-23-18 07:21 PM
NYC Homeless Complain about Accommodations in Wealthy Area clarkgriswold General Board 24 08-06-17 04:48 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz