Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-12-18, 06:05 PM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious One View Post
Then you would support these stereotypes being spewed? You might be a part of the problem! You either don’t get it or you approve of it.
So long as we keep the focus on what is said rather than actions that cause what is said to be said, we are not going to get along interacialy as well as we should.

I hope these players get the maximum punishment allowed. They should be required to sit out at least the first half of the next game.
Old 07-12-18, 07:56 PM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
I hope these players get the maximum punishment allowed. They should be required to sit out at least the first half of the next game.
If history holds true, there will be no sanctions.
Old 07-13-18, 12:46 AM
All District

1 time is on a distinguished road
First half of the next game ? Really ! There's a video of a terrible act and the appropriate school officials and the people in charge of this event should take extreme discipline actions for those who committed these crimes ! Wake up people, this is a horrible example of what athletics should be about !
Old 07-13-18, 07:47 AM
All District

Localfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by goshengophers View Post
Your atrocious grammar and spelling aside, your defense of the players is reason No. 1 why every state association is begging for officials. Even if we assume the official was "egging on" the players, there's a multitude of responses that would have been acceptable before turning physical.
hmmmm my grammar and spelling on a blog. I wasn't aware that this was graded lol... I guess you didn't like my comment and decided to knit pick lol... when people get in their feelings
Old 07-13-18, 07:51 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrastripes View Post
Are you serious? So you're assuming the officials were intentionally screwing one team based on the comment of an inherently biased travel ball coach?

And I'm sorry but "adrenaline running high" is no excuse to TAKE A SWING at someone, not to mention an authority figure. I've had nasty things said to me from coaches and fans in my career-not once have I thought about getting physical.

This fanboy speak about "putting it all on the line" makes me laugh every time. If you're not capable of restraining yourself from throwing a haymaker at an official, you don't deserve to have the opportunity to "put it all on the line."
I believe that they are human and can began to call the slightest touch or blow the whistle on what they think is going to be a call. So yes they aren't paid millions to keep composure lol. They have bad days and bring it to work just like everyone else.... But I guess you didn't read the part when I said back down and let the coaches handle the refs.. that part you just missed huh
Old 07-13-18, 10:45 AM
All Region

goshengophers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Localfan View Post
hmmmm my grammar and spelling on a blog. I wasn't aware that this was graded lol... I guess you didn't like my comment and decided to knit pick lol... when people get in their feelings
What does a blog have to do with it? Why should I take anything you say or write seriously when I can't even trust you to spell simple words correctly? And I wasn't knit picking. Your assertion that the players were blameless and the official(s) were solely responsible would be laughable were it not a sad and accurate representation of the lack of respect for authority in this country.
Old 07-13-18, 11:59 AM
All District

Quote:
What does a blog have to do with it? Why should I take anything you say or write seriously when I can't even trust you to spell simple words correctly? And I wasn't knit picking. Your assertion that the players were blameless and the official(s) were solely responsible would be laughable were it not a sad and accurate representation of the lack of respect for authority in this country.
Clearly you didn't read it in its entirely...lol Your age is showing lol calm down grandpa.. I said the players should have let the coaches handle the refs period point!!! ... Do you need me to go back and highlight that part for you or maybe just put your readers on next time
Old 07-13-18, 12:08 PM
All World

Quote:
When your putting it all on the line and the refs are calling the game completely unfair of letting their emotions get in the way of calling a far game its a problem.
You started by laying it on the officials.......
Old 07-13-18, 01:08 PM
Junior Varsity

Talk some sense is on a distinguished road
What are we picking here?

Quote:
Just for fun and to lighten the mood, you're both wrong - it's nitpicking.
Old 07-13-18, 02:42 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
You started by laying it on the officials.......
So In every sporting contest you have seen all officiating has been fair and unbiased? I am not condoning anyone hitting anyone for whatever reason that isn't the point I was trying to make. I'm saying when you are on the court and its a battle and the refs aren't controlling the game like they should things can get out of control fast. At these type of events they have officials that you can call on if you as a coach if you feel the game isn't being called fair. This entire thing was preventable.

Last edited by Localfan; 07-13-18 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-13-18, 02:43 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk some sense View Post
Just for fun and to lighten the mood, you're both wrong - it's nitpicking.
lol thanks
Old 07-14-18, 07:31 AM
All District

zebrastripes is on a distinguished road
Players and coaches are humans, too, not just officials. But officials are the only ones expected to start out perfect and get better from there.

Also, I'm sorry but players and coaches are inherently biased–they have a stake in the outcome of a game and aren't capable of seeing plays involving their teams objectively. So quite frankly it's ridiculous to conclude that officiating was "biased" because the supposedly offended team said calls were missed. The same play that one team thinks was clearly a foul, the other team thinks is a play on.

So, again, I don't want to hear this "putting it all on the line" crap when most high school players don't know the first thing about officiating.
Old 07-14-18, 07:34 AM
All District

zebrastripes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So In every sporting contest you have seen all officiating has been fair and unbiased? I am not condoning anyone hitting anyone for whatever reason that isn't the point I was trying to make. I'm saying when you are on the court and its a battle and the refs aren't controlling the game like they should things can get out of control fast. At these type of events they have officials that you can call on if you as a coach if you feel the game isn't being called fair. This entire thing was preventable.
How do you know it was preventable if you weren't there? Again, you're more or less blaming the officials for players and coaches being unable to control their emotions.

And at these types of events, I hardly refer to them as "coaches."
Old 07-14-18, 08:08 AM
All World

Quote:
So In every sporting contest you have seen all officiating has been fair and unbiased?
Direct from the FanBoy Dictionary.....

"Fair" (adj)
- the calls went my way

"Unfair" (adj)
- the calls didn't go my way

It always humors me to hear about officiating bias, when that group of people in the gym or on the field is the only group that could care less who wins. After the game, the officials aren't experiencing a high or a low based on the final score.

Throughout history there have been hundreds of millions of athletic contests conducted under the authority of officials...... Yet you can only name a handful or two of specific instances where an officiating bias has been proven. Those handful of instances somehow (only for those who blame others) become the norm when in fact they are only a microscopic occurrence.

Then again, instead of blaming yourself, blame someone else.

Quote:
I am not condoning anyone hitting anyone for whatever reason that isn't the point I was trying to make. I'm saying when you are on the court and its a battle and the refs aren't controlling the game like they should things can get out of control fast.
You are justifying and rationalizing the actions by blaming a third party. It's either wrong or it's not.

Quote:
At these type of events they have officials that you can call on if you as a coach if you feel the game isn't being called fair. This entire thing was preventable.
And guess what..... those events that do have "officials that you can call on" are the events that get out of control. Those officials or tournament directors rescind technical fouls and ejections as well as remove officials or entire crews during a game..... all of which does nothing but bolster the improper behavior that is occurring in the first place.

This was nothing more than a BS independent tournament conducted for one purpose only...... to put money in someone's pocket.
Old 07-21-18, 10:46 PM
All Ohio

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
The degeneration of youth basketball continues.
Old 07-22-18, 12:23 AM
All District

1 time is on a distinguished road
The colleges do most of their recruiting at most of these tournaments. They should fund and sanctions most of these tournaments. Colleges get free recruiting at most of these tournaments. This summer league crap is out of control. Let the colleges take over this AAU crap and other tournaments and civilization may return to spring and summer basketball. These fights go on a plenty of tournaments and college over sight will eliminate some of these debacles. Love basketball but many wrong messages , Little discipline from some summer teams. High school coaches do a good job job in summer but some AAU guys can be clueless and sanctions and rules need to change.
Old 07-22-18, 05:24 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 time View Post
The colleges do most of their recruiting at most of these tournaments. They should fund and sanctions most of these tournaments.
See FBI NCAA investigation for the integrity that the colleges possess.

They are complicit in what goes on.
Old 07-22-18, 08:11 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
I think the cats out of the bag. We will never see lower levels of basketball return to the purity that many of us grew up with. Travel teams in the lowest age groups, high school kids going to basketball factories, summer games turning into brawls, NCAA money, and Lavar Ball's joke of a league to compete with the NCAA.

The number of bad characters in basketball is exploding and will continue to get worse. The NBA led it in this direction and is powerless to stop it.
Old 07-23-18, 07:25 AM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I think the cats out of the bag. We will never see lower levels of basketball return to the purity that many of us grew up with. Travel teams in the lowest age groups, high school kids going to basketball factories, summer games turning into brawls, NCAA money, and Lavar Ball's joke of a league to compete with the NCAA.

The number of bad characters in basketball is exploding and will continue to get worse. The NBA led it in this direction and is powerless to stop it.
Several years back I had a conversation with an AAU coach as we waited to leave the motel on a Saturday morning. He was African American, not a dad of any kid on the team, and was regretting in a jovial way the sacrifice he was making in volunteering to guide this group of kids.

Talking further he made it clear these were troubled youth who were pushed into playing basketball in the summer to keep them out of trouble. Our team was comprised of parents and kids who wanted to play, good students, good families. I watched as His kids loaded up into a 15 passenger van and our team loaded into ten different family cars. The contrast was stark.

My take away is this, if we are going to use basketball to prevent troubled youth from involving themselves in morally repugnant behavior, we can expect to see emotional issues play out on the basketball court.
Old 07-24-18, 11:28 AM
All American

westa-k-ron1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post

Does this "purity" exist in youth sports at all? We see brawls, sexual abuse, money grabs etc. in all youth sports...regardless of ethnicty and socio-economic background.
Old 07-27-18, 09:16 AM
All American

sehs
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrastripes View Post
While I don't necessarily disagree that the comments are inappropriate, the only race baiting that goes on in this country on a national scale is by Democratic politicians.
To think this only comes from one side of the political aisle is ignorance, both sides certainly do this nationally, you can always find someone that is either drumming up support by playing that card or looking for an out by playing that card.

The comments made here by GregG are completely inappropriate. Be an adult about this, the kids were wrong at this game and I don't want to hear that adrenaline was going or that they were just that competitive. It was the first half of an AAU game and most teens and adults do not behave this way even when it is perceived that calls are going against them. I don't care if a ref does have it out for a particular player or team, you never act the way that they did in that video. To insinuate that they will leave high school as drug dealers and thugs is ridiculous. What it does probably shed light on though is a belief by so many young people from the inner cities of America, white, black, hispanic, etc, feel that the only way to solve problems is violence with their own bodies and their groups of friends. They don't trust authority and this isn't a knock on them, it's what they've come to believe.

It's already been said on here but this is precisely why the Wild West mentality of AAU has hurt and continues to hurt basketball. You can find anyone willing to take your money and "coach" and say that he will get your player a Division 1 offer. Super star individuals join together and never learn to play together but that doesn't matter because they are just looking out for their own career anyway. Because parents have shelled out significant money in many cases, especially for an out of state tournament, their stakes in the matter run higher too. It just takes most of the positives about basketball out of the equation and focuses on the worst parts.

Referees are human and they never call a perfect game. People need to go in with that understanding and realize that two or three refs, watching 10 players play in a high speed game, all have different interpretations of the rules and need to make quick decisions. That does not come without a degree of error although I think most officials are correct in how they handle games most of the time. It can be more of an art than science in basketball officiating.
Old 07-27-18, 09:24 AM
All American

sehs
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4fan View Post
Several years back I had a conversation with an AAU coach as we waited to leave the motel on a Saturday morning. He was African American, not a dad of any kid on the team, and was regretting in a jovial way the sacrifice he was making in volunteering to guide this group of kids.

Talking further he made it clear these were troubled youth who were pushed into playing basketball in the summer to keep them out of trouble. Our team was comprised of parents and kids who wanted to play, good students, good families. I watched as His kids loaded up into a 15 passenger van and our team loaded into ten different family cars. The contrast was stark.

My take away is this, if we are going to use basketball to prevent troubled youth from involving themselves in morally repugnant behavior, we can expect to see emotional issues play out on the basketball court.
Fantastic insight on the socio-economic factors that may lead to severely different makeups of teams and the issues that can come out on the court.

Yappi, I whole-heartedly agree with you as well. The emphasis has come to the individual and not the team or even the community. Taking AAU out of the equation, I think the high school experience in America is far different than it was 30 years ago, the main social events in a school community used to be football or basketball games or a less popular sport that the school might have excelled at. It wasn't so much about the team doing well on their own as much as it was classmates and community members in the district being a part of it as well. It fostered a lot of pride and togetherness in that way. Now, those are not two words I would use to describe most high schools or how people look at their high school experience. Sure they make friends and have positive feelings but they do not give credit to the school or the community in that regard, they believe it happened through their own efforts. Therefore, the school loses out on a potential stakeholder who can support it further in the future in any way.