Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-06-17, 06:35 PM
All Region

Jaws31 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelValley View Post
True for football, but not too many other sports I'd rate the Catholics as being better than the top local public schools. Since we are talking about Canfield - Is there a sport other than football that you'd rate Mooney or Ursuline ahead of Canfield right now? Maybe a push in soccer with Mooney and lacrosse at Mooney may have a slight edge with a few years experience on them. . Most others I'd say Canfield is substantially better. So, I wouldn't say the catholic schools winning is why Canfield is not playing in all sports.
Football is the driving force in the valley. Jealousy and bitterness over the success by those two programs in football supercedes any of the successes by the other schools in the lesser sports. Right or wrong that is the way it is.
Old 05-06-17, 07:12 PM
All District

neirish is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan0505 View Post
Ursuline will not play Fitch.
Flip the order and then you will have it correct.
Old 05-06-17, 07:29 PM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Guys.... we're beating a dead horse here.
They'll never be in a conference with local public schools.
Old 05-06-17, 09:20 PM
All American

simkon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by djcoach View Post
Yep so until school boards turn over or possibly the ADs of Struthers, Poland, Canfield those schools will probably never schedule Cardinal Mooney and Ursuline in Football and Basketball. I think they would all possibly play Ursuline but I think Mooney is no go for those 3 no matter what anyone tells you in communities.
Good thing I was not talking about boys basketball or football.

Quote:
I know that AD and coaches were contacted for hoops and for scrimmage and possible games and calls weren't returned from AD. Coaches were for it however.
Obviously there are some differences for football and basketball. I just know that some football issues have creeped over for other boys sports. Mostly basketball and football scheduling
As far as what happened with the basketball scrimmage, I won't argue with you I will take your word for it.
Quote:
Here is a fact..
Canfield was not even allowed to scrimmage Mooney basketball. Coaches were told if they get on the bus they would not have jobs. The freshmen basketball teams tried to set up a game and canfield freshmen boys coach called back and said he was told no way not going to happen.
For those that say Mooney and or Ursuline (who I am not speaking for) will not play Poland, Canfield, Struthers in any sport are sadly mistaken.
If you would like to hear truths you can pm me since I will not post on here to hurt anyones feelings since I am no longer affiliated with any school listed here but those with school tinted glasses need some reality checks sometimes
I know for a fact when Canfield had the state champion on their tennis team, both Mooney and Ursuline refused to play Canfield. I know for a fact one year our tennis team showed up at Volney Rogers to play Ursuline and teenis one year and they were a no show and forfeited rather than play us. Also the one time we were able to play Mooney (they needed to fill out there schedule with one more home date), my opponent forfeited to me and the coach was apparently upset that my coach had me playing instead of some of our extra players. I know for a fact Mooney and Ursuline refused to play Canfield in baseball for several years while Canfield was competing for state titles. Canfield also tried to play Mooney and Ursuline in soccer at the time, and were unable to do so. Canfield however did not try to play Mooney or Ursuline in football or basketball. Canfield did however play Mooney in boys hockey while they still had the club team. Incidentally Canfield has the only hockey team in the area now, the rest of the teams are in the suburbs of Cleveland.
Quote:
True for football, but not too many other sports I'd rate the Catholics as being better than the top local public schools. Since we are talking about Canfield - Is there a sport other than football that you'd rate Mooney or Ursuline ahead of Canfield right now? Maybe a push in soccer with Mooney and lacrosse at Mooney may have a slight edge with a few years experience on them. . Most others I'd say Canfield is substantially better. So, I wouldn't say the catholic schools winning is why Canfield is not playing in all sports.
The Canfield Girls lacrosse was awful last year, but I think the boys team is maybe a little better than Mooney. Soccer is also a bit better, but my cousin is on the Mooney soccer team as an aside. But probably in most boys sports except for football and basketball, I would say Canfield would be favored.
Old 05-07-17, 09:00 AM
Junior Varsity

djcoach is on a distinguished road
True they have never tried to schedule a basketball or football game with Ursuline or Mooney. I was stating that Mooney or Ursuline if the schedule dictates in most sports would play Canfield, Poland or Struthers 100 out of 100. It will almost always be on those schools to not schedule the Catholic schools.

Outside of baseball you named minor sports that do not generate much if any revenue and baseball does not generate much revenue (on That note Canfield should be more worried about losing their baseball players to Western Reserve and South Range vs Mooney...)

And I will call Durkin to check but when Canfield was competing for state titles that is same time Ursuline was competing for state titles and unless the schedule didn't allow it he wasn't saying no to playing anyone.

Listen everyone is right its a dead horse not worth beating I was just pointing out that the publics are lying when they say Mooney or Ursuline won't play them. If any school in the tri county area called them for a football or basketball game those 2 schools are immediatley saying yes
Old 05-07-17, 09:15 AM
All Yappi

So my point is true. Mooney and Ursuline schedule the way they do because they have to. Not because it gets them ready for the post season.
Old 05-07-17, 10:13 AM
Junior Varsity

djcoach is on a distinguished road
I think its a little of both. They do try and schedule up when the talent is superior which every school in the area does but many times traveling to Cleveland or NY or Columbus to play a team that is as good as the locals doesn't make much sense no matter what talent is on the team.
Old 05-07-17, 12:15 PM
All World

SteelValley
I agree football is king, but I guess I don't see why Canfield would be refusing to play those schools in all sports because of those 2 being successful in football when they've never really played either in regular season or playoffs. I also never had the impression either private school had a ton of kids living in Canfield. Definitely not near what kids living in Boardman, as comparison, make up.

If anyone would be irritated with the private schools I'd think it would be Ytown city. They by far have lost out on the most of anyone locally.

If I was Canfield I'd want to play Mooney/Ursuline in all the other sports just to reinforce superiority in overall athletics to their students and parents in the district.
Old 05-07-17, 12:51 PM
All American

Quote:
I was stating that Mooney or Ursuline if the schedule dictates in most sports would play Canfield, Poland or Struthers 100 out of 100. It will almost always be on those schools to not schedule the Catholic schools.
Outside of baseball you named minor sports that do not generate much if any revenue and baseball does not generate much revenue.
And I will call Durkin to check but when Canfield was competing for state titles that is same time Ursuline was competing for state titles and unless the schedule didn't allow it he wasn't saying no to playing anyone.
Mooney and Ursuline both did not want to play Canfield in a lot of the minor sports at one point in time so it goes both ways definitely. Canfield didn't want to play them in football or basketball, and Mooney and Ursuline didn't want to play Canfield in most of the other sports, except for the club hockey team or track or cross country where there are several teams in attendance.
At one time Canfield's baseball made decent money, whether that is still the case I don't know, but you are right for most schools not really a money maker.
Ursuline won state for baseball in 1998 and 2000, so those are both different time frames then the period Canfield asked if Mooney or Ursuline wanted to play. By the way the two years in question, I think Canfield went undefeated in the regular season, and maybe lost one game to a D-I power the other year. I think Canfield was D-I in baseball at the time or it was their last year of being D-II, while Mooney and Ursuline were D-III or IV.
Quote:
Listen everyone is right its a dead horse not worth beating I was just pointing out that the publics are lying when they say Mooney or Ursuline won't play them.
I never said that Mooney or Ursuline didn't want to play Canfield or any other team in football or basketball. All I have said all along is for pretty much everything else (including all of the minor sports as you called them), Canfield at various points tried to schedule Mooney and Ursuline and they declined to play for whatever reason at that point in time. And ever since Canfield has not wanted anything to do with Mooney or Ursuline. I am sure there were definitely some other factors as well that played into their decision. I don't know what the story is for anyone else though.
Old 05-07-17, 02:27 PM
Varsity

SpartanHOF41 is on a distinguished road
I can tell you that I was told by the Canfield superintendent that they would not put Mooney or Ursuline on any sport schedule period. They reason he gave was that "parents had complained that those schools were recruiting players during those competitions".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-07-17, 03:27 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanHOF41 View Post
I can tell you that I was told by the Canfield superintendent that they would not put Mooney or Ursuline on any sport schedule period. They reason he gave was that "parents had complained that those schools were recruiting players during those competitions".

Factual. Happens everywhere during events vs their teams. Sad!
Old 05-07-17, 04:22 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpartanHOF41 View Post
I never saw or heard Mooney and Ursuline trying to recruit when I was in highschool, heck my brother and I were both better than everyone Mooney and Ursuline had at the time and they never recruited us, some colleges did though including Westminster, Mount Union, etc

But I am sure that some of that definitely goes on these days.
Old 05-07-17, 05:56 PM
All American

Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
Lakeview has lost kids to JFK over the years, but there is now a 6'5, 300 player at mooney who came from a poor family , so they are not paying tuition to send him there. Over the years, lots of area coaches complained that Mooney assistants would scout area middle school and junior high games for "recruits". That is why many won't play those schools in any thing, including hula hoops. Coaches are well aware of what is going on.
Old 05-07-17, 05:59 PM
All Yappi

you could leave the poor part out ya know. Classless
Old 05-07-17, 06:06 PM
Varsity

SpartanHOF41 is on a distinguished road
Best way to stop recruiting is to play them and beat them!

Old 05-07-17, 07:53 PM
All American

Quote:
I agree football is king, but I guess I don't see why Canfield would be refusing to play those schools in all sports because of those 2 being successful in football when they've never really played either in regular season or playoffs. I also never had the impression either private school had a ton of kids living in Canfield. Definitely not near what kids living in Boardman, as comparison, make up.
Canfield has played Ursuline in football before by the way (regular season), I think they have played about 5 times.
Also I had lots of friends that went to Canfield for junior high that went to Ursuline and Mooney and I also knew lots of people who lived in Canfield that went to the Catholic schools. And my cousins and a lot of their friends live in Canfield too. You probably just were not aware they lived in Canfield since they attended the Catholic middle/elementary schools as well.
Old 05-08-17, 02:36 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
So my point is true. Mooney and Ursuline schedule the way they do because they have to. Not because it gets them ready for the post season.

Look at the big brain on you!
Old 05-08-17, 02:36 PM
All Yappi

I think just about every local school has played the Catholics at one point or another. Something always happens along the way.
Old 05-08-17, 02:37 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
Look at the big brain on you!
You always act like they schedule difficult because they want to. Read your posts dude.
Old 05-08-17, 03:27 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
You always act like they schedule difficult because they want to. Read your posts dude.
No I don't

I've never said that

I might pin it on some local schools to step up their own schedules, but I've never said the local privates do it on purpose or that it's smart.

Should Hubbard at it's peak have scheduled a better team than Kenmore or Collinwood? Damn right!

Should Struthers have played a better opponent than Toledo Scott last year? You bet your sweet bippy! They actually LOST POINTS by playing Scott. They could have had a home game with a bye or a win over a 1-9 team.

Should Mooney have played St Ed's 5 years in a row? NO. Should they have opened against Iggy one year? NO. Moeller? No way. Heck they can't even beat Fitch right now.

If anything I'd blame Mooney especially for probably aiming way too high when trying to fill open dates. Then again i kinda don't blame them because years of experience tells them that other than a select few, no local schools will even try to play them. It's not even worth a call to canfield, poland, struthers, Howland, etc. Your not getting many publics in NE ohio either. mentor is about it though lately Cleveland Heights and Buchtel have been willing. same with Akron North, but that's a total waste of time.

I've always been of the mind that this 'scheduling up' hurts them more than anything. Even with 9 games some years, injuries usually pile up, curtailing any hopeful playoff runs. There's only been maybe 1 season in the last 10 that hasn't featured more than 1 major injury for the Cards. Same with ursuline.

It'll never change, so who cares.

Is Toledo Scott on the schedule again this year?
Old 05-08-17, 03:28 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I think just about every local school has played the Catholics at one point or another. Something always happens along the way.
played maybe. scheduled? no
Old 05-08-17, 04:44 PM
All Yappi

No they replaced Toledo Scott with crestview.
Old 05-08-17, 08:37 PM
All World

sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
Hubbard did a great job adding NDCL in 2014 and ruined it by adding Kenmore. Hubbard should be pretty loaded again next season. Open with Obama Academy Pittsburgh. Seems like another youngstown east but who knows, Steubenville's beaten up on them in the past. Would love to see NDCL back on the schedule.
Old 05-08-17, 08:38 PM
All World

I think Hubbard has the athletes to schedule almost anyone in our area. The administration doesn't have the brass to do so. I know the support would be there. The kids would love it. And even if the result were a loss, it'd pay dividends week 11 and beyond.
Old 05-08-17, 08:49 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster4321 View Post
I think Hubbard has the athletes to schedule almost anyone in our area. The administration doesn't have the brass to do so. I know the support would be there. The kids would love it. And even if the result were a loss, it'd pay dividends week 11 and beyond.
If you have a tough conference than it is imperative you win like 7 games to
Make week 11. It's a risk if you schedule tough before a tough conference. Hubbard plays in a decently competitive conference.
Old 05-08-17, 08:54 PM
All World

Absolutely. It's almost like a box of chocolates. Always 2 top teams. Another 2-3 good playoff teams. And of course a couple basement dwellers. Maybe schedule a tough OOC game late in the season? I don't know. I know scheduling goes a long way but sometimes I wonder. Talent is the number 1 key. Coaching is second. I think mooney and ursuline could have played in the tac 8 in the 2000's and still would have a few titles.
Old 05-08-17, 09:14 PM
All Yappi

Yeah, don't forget how good girard once was in the 2000's. Liberty too. Of course Hubbard. and lake view had a couple years there.

In 2014 struthers too played NDCL. struthers wasn't good in 2014 and had every chance to win the game. Hubbard had a super good team so ndcl was a win. But a good playoff team.

Bay was a good team as well to schedule.

Struthers went the route of NDCL to Sharon -both good. Then to Toledo Scott -yikes (Sharon backed out of a game) and now to 3-7 crestview. Going the wrong way.
Old 05-09-17, 09:03 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
No they replaced Toledo Scott with crestview.
Kudos to them then. A decent team and local.
Old 05-09-17, 09:06 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster4321 View Post
I wanna give this guy a hug.... come here!
Old 05-10-17, 12:26 PM
All American

roberto21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yeah, don't forget how good girard once was in the 2000's. Liberty too. Of course Hubbard. and lake view had a couple years there.

In 2014 struthers too played NDCL. struthers wasn't good in 2014 and had every chance to win the game. Hubbard had a super good team so ndcl was a win. But a good playoff team.

Bay was a good team as well to schedule.

Struthers went the route of NDCL to Sharon -both good. Then to Toledo Scott -yikes (Sharon backed out of a game) and now to 3-7 crestview. Going the wrong way.
I believe Bay was supposed to be a home and home but backed out of coming here. Not sure why. That's why Obama Academy is on schedule this year. I would like to have played Bay here.