Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-09-14, 07:00 PM
All American

kbiz is on a distinguished road
Idea to save D1 college wrestling.

Hello all. I am sure some of you have gotten this email but I'd thought I'd share it here to see what you guys thought about it. First off let me start by pointing out that this is not an attempt to sell something. I have nothing to do with this organization. It was an attempt by this individual to reach out with an idea that seemed kinda interesting. I just wanted to see what you guys thought of it and if you thought it was good or viable. Anyway here it is:

I have something vital to tell you about the continuation of our sport.

But first, I want to introduce myself: I'm Coach Ron Finley, and I've dedicated my entire life to the advancement of the sport of wrestling. I was the head wrestling coach at the University of Oregon for 28 years. I also coached at the high school level, as well as in the military, and I was honored to coach several world championship teams and the 1984 Olympic Greco-Roman team.

As you already know, wrestling has been saved for the 2020 Olympics because individuals like yourself joined the effort. The decision to drop wrestling in the Olympics hit all of us hard, but we joined together and our advocates got the IOC's decision reversed.

This gave me an idea...

We all hate that so many Division I wrestling programs have been eliminated over the years. Their loss negatively impacts our youth. I don't have to tell you that. We all have tried writing letters and speaking out, all to little avail. Is Title IX to blame? Some argue it is. But one thing is sure: nobody has come up with a real solution to begin the process of getting Division I programs reinstated. Until now.

The answer is so simple, you're going to wonder why no one thought of it before. We can control the reinstatement of Division I programs. How? Well, I'll tell you how, but I need you to keep an open mind and read all that follows and then I want you to digest it before making a decision.

Here's the reality: Every wrestler buys t-shirts and shorts for the practice room -- probably 3-4 t-shirts and 2-3 pair of shorts, not to mention socks, sweats, and other apparel every year. Each time our athletes buy these items, virtually all of the profits from their sale fill the pockets of companies that do almost nothing to help our sport grow. Instead, what if there were a national organization that was dedicated to putting every dollar of profit into restoring Division I wrestling programs? If students are going to buy t-shirts and shorts anyway, why buy them from a company that has no interest in restoring our sport, when you could spend the same money buying apparel from the National Wrestling Restoration Foundation and see every cent of profit devoted to reinstating Division I wrestling programs?

Answer this question: Would you rather buy your practice gear from a company that does relatively nothing to grow our sport, or from a non-profit organization that invests 100% of its profits into an endowment fund devoted to reinstating vital college wrestling programs throughout America? I hope you, and everybody involved in wrestling, would choose the company that's dedicated to restoring educational opportunities for our youth.

In conclusion, I want you to consider supporting such a cause. I've recently formed a non-profit organization dedicated to restoring Division I wrestling programs, the National Wrestling Restoration Foundation. This isn't my organization. It's our organization. I assure you I won't make any income from our organization. Instead, all the profits go toward reinstating wrestling programs across the nation. By leveraging the market strength of the 500,000 registered wrestlers in the United States, we conservatively project we can fully restore/endow one to two Division I programs each year. Imagine the impact. It's transformational. And it's all well within our collective grasp. All we need to do, as coaches and as a wrestling community, is educate and motivate our kids to purchase their t-shirts and shorts from our organization. That's it. Together, we can make this happen. Through solidarity, we've saved wrestling for the world. Today, I seek your support to restore wrestling for America.

I encourage you could take 5 minutes to download our flyer to hand out to your team. This information will give students/parents the data they need to make an informed decision. Our launch for ordering t-shirts and shorts is happening now, and the deadline for ordering t-shirts is Monday, September 15, for a November 1st delivery time frame. Here's the link to the flyer.

http://www.nwrf.org/StudentFlyer.pdf

Sincerely,

Coach Ron Finley

P.S. Nobody in our organization will earn any income from their involvement. Instead all the profits go toward reinstating wrestling programs. My goal is to make our organization as profitable as possible -- because every dollar counts. We will operate with transparent books. Every penny will be accountable and certified by a nationally accredited CPA firm, and made public.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-14, 08:59 AM
All American

Okiedokie is on a distinguished road
If it's kept honest I would have no problem supporting a company like this.
Old 09-10-14, 09:49 AM
All World

cruiser_96 is on a distinguished road
This is why I do not buy Nike. #BringBackOregonWrestling

Also, what Coach Finley is suggesting kind of already exists. Under Armour, Adidas, Brute and obviously Cliff Keen (among others) have been deliberate in their attempts at supporting the sport and/or it's athletes.

Locally, Yappi's very own I_AM_WHO_I_AM has a company for singlets, and perhaps other team apparel. Rudis is now entering the market. I know Cradle Gear has been on the scene for a while too.

All in all, much like a purchasing food at a farmers' market, I would much rather purchase apparel from someone I know.

Last edited by cruiser_96; 09-10-14 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-10-14, 12:00 PM
All American

ptrsn is on a distinguished road
I agree with cruiser on not buying Nike.

Last edited by ptrsn; 09-10-14 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-10-14, 12:16 PM
All District

skruphy is on a distinguished road
Not insult any of those companies but dont they all exist for the sake of making money first then after some plateau of revenue is reached then they help out locally ..... Not a bad business model but not exactly what the thread is about this coach has started a nonprofit that every cent above board will be sent to programs needing money my only question is who decides where the money is going? which programs garner support? if you have 500 schools trying for it it would not go far
Old 09-17-14, 08:51 AM
All Region

wrestling_fan_ is on a distinguished road
I would have to say that there would have to be some kind to be some kind of scale. The programs that are closest to going under get the money first & work up from there.

It sounds like a good plan...nobody will know until it gets started & people support it!
Old 09-17-14, 09:11 AM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
I appreciate the thought behind it, but as long as Title IX is in place in its current form, it is an uphill battle.

In my opinion, buying T-shirts to support financially struggling programs is like putting lipstick on a pig or rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. Choose your analogy.

A better approach would be toward focusing on amendments to title IX and reversing is disasterous unintended consquences. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-17-14, 09:24 AM
All World

Suplexer130 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
I appreciate the thought behind it, but as long as Title IX is in place in its current form, it is an uphill battle.

In my opinion, buying T-shirts to support financially struggling programs is like putting lipstick on a pig or rearranging the deckchairs on the Titanic. Choose your analogy.

A better approach would be toward focusing on amendments to title IX and reversing is disasterous unintended consquences. Just my 2 cents.
This is the key. Even if they come in and say "hey we will fully fund this wrestling program" if they are close to title 9 compliance and can't get someone to do the equivalent for a female program you are out of luck. The effort is appreciated, but the reality is all of college athletics are screwed up. Look to Football and Basketball powers being given full control of their own "rules".

College isn't about getting an education anymore it is merely a requirement for employment. College athletics are no longer about school spirit and developing well rounded people, but rather a revenue generating a machine. The whole concept of college is kind of messed up at this point.
Old 09-17-14, 11:44 AM
Freshman

win at all cost is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_96 View Post
This is why I do not buy Nike. #BringBackOregonWrestling

Also, what Coach Finley is suggesting kind of already exists. Under Armour, Adidas, Brute and obviously Cliff Keen (among others) have been deliberate in their attempts at supporting the sport and/or it's athletes.

Locally, Yappi's very own I_AM_WHO_I_AM has a company for singlets, and perhaps other team apparel. Rudis is now entering the market. I know Cradle Gear has been on the scene for a while too.

All in all, much like a purchasing food at a farmers' market, I would much rather purchase apparel from someone I know.
Yes but those companies have the goal of lining their pockets. The only reason the big boys support the few wrestlers they do is because they know it generates sales. As for the little guys like I_AM {Barbarian} and Rudis, they are only aiming to make money off the sport. There is no give back. What Coach Finley is suggesting doesn't exist. A company that sends all profits back to wrestling.