Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins Challenge Game (10/26): Medina Highland (8-1) vs Barberton (9-0)
Highland by 1-7 2 8.33%
Highland by 8-14 4 16.67%
Highland by 15+ 6 25.00%
Barberton by 1-7 5 20.83%
Barberton by 8-14 6 25.00%
Barberton by 15+ 1 4.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-20-18, 07:17 AM
Hinckley Buzzard Hinckley Buzzard is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-18-14
Posts: 180
Hinckley Buzzard is on a distinguished road
Challenge Game (10/26): Highland (8-1) vs Barberton (9-0)

Wow! We have a great match up week 10 between Highland and Barberton. League title rides on this game and clearly the best 2 teams in the American Division. For Highland, they need to win or almost certainly out of the playoffs. If Highland wins, it's very likely Highland and Barberton play again week one of the playoffs as the 4 and 5 seeds. This should be a great game and potentially interesting few weeks!!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 10-20-18, 07:28 AM
frecriss frecriss is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-10-03
Posts: 17,994
frecriss is on a distinguished road
Barberton will need to successfully throw the ball downfield to open up running lanes. Ellet, Tallmadge and Kent all stacked the line against the run. Barberton has a good QB and a fleet of good receivers. If the Magics can have success throwing the ball and keeping the Highland D off balance, I think they win. Also, Barberton's defense has scored seven Td's this season, so that is something to keep an eye on.

Both teams are clearly playing their best opponent of the year. Highland's Defense has improved all season long and looks like a good unit. should be a great game!

This is turning into a good rivalry and it's too bad that this game will be played in week 4 next year. Unfortunately, with an odd number of teams in the SLA, they have to rotate so teams don't have the same out of conference week every year.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-20-18, 07:41 AM
Hinckley Buzzard Hinckley Buzzard is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-18-14
Posts: 180
Hinckley Buzzard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by frecriss View Post
Barberton will need to successfully throw the ball downfield to open up running lanes. Ellet, Tallmadge and Kent all stacked the line against the run. Barberton has a good QB and a fleet of good receivers. If the Magics can have success throwing the ball and keeping the Highland D off balance, I think they win. Also, Barberton's defense has scored seven Td's this season, so that is something to keep an eye on.

Both teams are clearly playing their best opponent of the year. Highland's Defense has improved all season long and looks like a good unit. should be a great game!

This is turning into a good rivalry and it's too bad that this game will be played in week 4 next year. Unfortunately, with an odd number of teams in the SLA, they have to rotate so teams don't have the same out of conference week every year.
I agree with your overview of the game. I think for Highland they need to stop the run first. They haven't played any team this year that can run up the middle like Barberton. For Highland offensively, they're explosive. The have a QB that runs and throws well. That makes it extremely hard to stop Rogers too. It seems to be a very even match up.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-20-18, 07:53 AM
Roguewarrior Roguewarrior is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-04-16
Posts: 109
Roguewarrior is on a distinguished road
What is the state of Barberton’s field? Is it in good condition? Can it take water if it rains all week?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-20-18, 07:55 AM
frecriss frecriss is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-10-03
Posts: 17,994
frecriss is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinckley Buzzard View Post
I agree with your overview of the game. I think for Highland they need to stop the run first. They haven't played any team this year that can run up the middle like Barberton. For Highland offensively, they're explosive. The have a QB that runs and throws well. That makes it extremely hard to stop Rogers too. It seems to be a very even match up.

Rogers is a beast. He is the best player we have seen this season.

Looking at the younger levels of both programs, i think this game will decide the SLA for the next few seasons at least.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-20-18, 07:57 AM
frecriss frecriss is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-10-03
Posts: 17,994
frecriss is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguewarrior View Post
What is the state of Barberton’s field? Is it in good condition? Can it take water if it rains all week?
It should be ok. Kent cancelled what would have been a home JV game for us today. We scheduled an away JV game with Maple Heights in it's place.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-20-18, 11:21 AM
SLhornet SLhornet is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-24-06
Posts: 647
SLhornet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinckley Buzzard View Post
Wow! We have a great match up week 10 between Highland and Barberton. League title rides on this game and clearly the best 2 teams in the American Division. For Highland, they need to win or almost certainly out of the playoffs. If Highland wins, it's very likely Highland and Barberton play again week one of the playoffs as the 4 and 5 seeds. This should be a great game and potentially interesting few weeks!!
They could be 4/5 seeds, but i think most likely 3/4 or 3/5.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-20-18, 12:57 PM
unclebob unclebob is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-20-06
Location: Dantes 1st Circle
Posts: 3,673
unclebob is an unknown quantity at this point
go magics....

highland still basking in the glory of squeaking out a win against a mediocre massillon team...

love for them to see a good one week 11
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-20-18, 01:49 PM
Hinckley Buzzard Hinckley Buzzard is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-18-14
Posts: 180
Hinckley Buzzard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
go magics....

highland still basking in the glory of squeaking out a win against a mediocre massillon team...

love for them to see a good one week 11
Dude, we forgot about that win against your overrated team that year! You finally have a real team this year! We’re used to getting to the playoffs almost every year now....it’s what we expect. You guys have been nothing but “paper champs” since the playoffs started. Stay off this thread and go get ready to blowout a very average McKinley team!!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-20-18, 02:19 PM
SLAGuy SLAGuy is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-11-17
Posts: 654
SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
Go Highland!

Its time to send the Magics packing for another league. Whiny complainers.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-20-18, 02:33 PM
frecriss frecriss is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-10-03
Posts: 17,994
frecriss is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAGuy View Post
Go Highland!

Its time to send the Magics packing for another league. Whiny complainers.

We should go to another league. Highland is the only competition in this league
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-20-18, 02:42 PM
brian1227's Avatar
brian1227 brian1227 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-22-06
Posts: 16,790
brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Join. Suburban league national.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-20-18, 02:47 PM
SLAGuy SLAGuy is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-11-17
Posts: 654
SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
2-3 against Aurora since rejoining the league???

What other sport are you good at?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-20-18, 03:02 PM
frecriss frecriss is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-10-03
Posts: 17,994
frecriss is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
Join. Suburban league national.

They should swap with Brecksville
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-20-18, 04:42 PM
raising4daughters raising4daughters is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 09-17-12
Posts: 403
raising4daughters is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by frecriss View Post
They should swap with Brecksville
I don't think Brecksville is the smallest DII in the SL-N, is it? I think BBHHS is bigger than Nordonia, no? Brecksville was down this year, but if for football we're going by historical records, Cuyahoga Falls is the weak sister in the SL-N. Send them down in exchange for Barberton, at least for football.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-20-18, 04:45 PM
frecriss frecriss is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-10-03
Posts: 17,994
frecriss is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by raising4daughters View Post
I don't think Brecksville is the smallest DII in the SL-N, is it? I think BBHHS is bigger than Nordonia, no? Brecksville was down this year, but if for football we're going by historical records, Cuyahoga Falls is the weak sister in the SL-N. Send them down in exchange for Barberton, at least for football.
Yes Brecksville is bigger than Nordonia
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-20-18, 04:46 PM
true blue true blue is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 03-09-08
Posts: 94
true blue is on a distinguished road
Highland 31-21
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-20-18, 04:55 PM
COLTCOUNTRY COLTCOUNTRY is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-30-09
Posts: 2,979
COLTCOUNTRY is on a distinguished road
Kind of amazing that Highland has to go 9-1 to make the playoffs. But this will only be Highland's third game against a team with a winning record so that makes sense.

I'll take the Magics in a close one.

Should be a heck of a game.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-20-18, 05:05 PM
true blue true blue is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 03-09-08
Posts: 94
true blue is on a distinguished road
Seen both teams, Barberton rb and Highland wr will wash giving edge to Highland in the rest of the areas by a td+.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-20-18, 06:43 PM
BleedPurple13 BleedPurple13 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-24-11
Posts: 100
BleedPurple13 is on a distinguished road
Is the kid from Highland primarily a WR or does he play running back? I'll take a great RB over a great WE any day.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-20-18, 07:17 PM
SLhornet SLhornet is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-24-06
Posts: 647
SLhornet is on a distinguished road
According to the last few numbers, Barberton(975) is actually bigger than Nordonia(916) and Twinsburg(969).
Just for reference Brecksville has 989 Highland has 809.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-20-18, 08:28 PM
Hinckley Buzzard Hinckley Buzzard is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-18-14
Posts: 180
Hinckley Buzzard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedPurple13 View Post
Is the kid from Highland primarily a WR or does he play running back? I'll take a great RB over a great WE any day.
Rogers converted from WR to RB last year. If you haven’t seen this kid play he’s electric!!!! Can do everything and definitely the best game player in the league overall. If you kick to him, you’re asking for trouble. Can’t wait for Friday!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-20-18, 10:40 PM
SLAGuy SLAGuy is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 01-11-17
Posts: 654
SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
Go Highland!! 49-20!!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-21-18, 08:21 AM
jbica001 jbica001 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-10-10
Location: Barberton/Portage Lakes
Posts: 1,275
jbica001 is on a distinguished road
Highland will be the toughest team Barberton will play this regular season. They will have to stop Rogers without letting receivers run open down the field. Highland may win this game, but no one expected the Magics to go 10-0 or 9-1, so no matter what happens, proud of this team for what they accomplished! #GoMagics


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-21-18, 09:15 AM
frecriss frecriss is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-10-03
Posts: 17,994
frecriss is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbica001 View Post
Highland will be the toughest team Barberton will play this regular season. They will have to stop Rogers without letting receivers run open down the field. Highland may win this game, but no one expected the Magics to go 10-0 or 9-1, so no matter what happens, proud of this team for what they accomplished! #GoMagics


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highland is a strong team on both sides of the ball and is without question the best team we have faced.

I had Barberton going 7-3 before the season started. 9-0 and in the playoffs, JV and Freshman also undefeated. The best is yet to come.

That being said, Barberton will need to pass downfield to pull the linebackers and safeties out of the box. If they can do that, it will open up running lanes for Young. I think Barberton wins if they can consistently throw the ball.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-21-18, 10:33 AM
TVDAWGS32 TVDAWGS32 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-14-17
Location: Adamsville, Ohio
Posts: 196
TVDAWGS32 is on a distinguished road
Tri Valley fan here. After our let down game against John Glenn, we really need Barberton to defeat Highland. TV played Sheridan in week 7 to determine the MVL champ. Both were 6-0 and playing great. TV defeated Sheridan in OT in what was a crazy, exciting and emotional game. The following week, we did not show up and play well vs JG and got beat 14-7, in what was a huge let down game. I will be scoreboard watching this coming Friday night and really hoping Barberton can finish their season strong by defeating Highland. It should get us in at a 7 seed. On a side note, if we get in, there will be 4 MVL teams playing week 11 (Tri Valley, Sheridan, John Glenn and Philo)!!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-21-18, 10:58 AM
Hinckley Buzzard Hinckley Buzzard is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-18-14
Posts: 180
Hinckley Buzzard is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbica001 View Post
Highland will be the toughest team Barberton will play this regular season. They will have to stop Rogers without letting receivers run open down the field. Highland may win this game, but no one expected the Magics to go 10-0 or 9-1, so no matter what happens, proud of this team for what they accomplished! #GoMagics


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Highland is really in the same boat......senior dominated teams last year that lost almost all starters but Rogers. This year's team, all played JV last year. I think highland's team last year was better overall, except the QB this year is the difference. He's played really well. This will be a close game as if there's a weakness for highland it's probably against a physical running team. Obviously, Barberton has a Sophomore who's going to dominate for the next few years. It will be a great game and EXCELLENT job by both these coaches reloading after losing most their starters from last year!
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-22-18, 04:36 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 53,229
Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Challenge Game (10/26): Medina Highland (8-1) vs Barberton (9-0)

Medina Highland (8-1):
8/24 A Brunswick (1-8) [1:1] W 28-7
8/31 A Medina (4-5) [1:1] L 7-24
9/7 H North Royalton (3-6) [2:6] W 45-43
9/14 H Kent Roosevelt (2-7) [2:5] W 63-23
9/21 H Revere (6-3) [3:9] W 35-14
9/28 H Green (1-8) [2:7] W 43-13
10/5 A Aurora (6-3) [3:9] W 28-3
10/12 H Copley (2-7) [2:5] W 55-7
10/19 A Tallmadge (4-5) [3:9] W 49-12

Barberton (9-0):
8/24 H Norton (7-2) [3:9] W 21-20 ot
8/31 H Kenmore-Garfield (0-9) [2:5] W 50-8
9/7 H Cuyahoga Falls (1-8) [2:5] W 48-6
9/14 A Revere (6-3) [3:9] W 32-20
9/21 H Copley (2-7) [2:5] W 31-14
9/28 A Aurora (6-3) [3:9] W 42-20
10/5 A Ellet (5-4) [2:5] W 43-13
10/12 H Tallmadge (4-5) [3:9] W 42-21
10/19 A Kent Roosevelt (2-7) [2:5] W 48-7

Play this game and the other 11 games in the pick'em here:
http://www.yappi.com/contest/contest.php
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-23-18, 10:30 AM
diamondmatch diamondmatch is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-04-05
Posts: 882
diamondmatch is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAGuy View Post
Go Highland!! 49-20!!
LOL! SLAGuy, tuff to run on loose grass. Might even run the sprinkler next 3 nights..??

Good Luck. LOL....
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-23-18, 07:37 PM
Hornet2000 Hornet2000 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 09-29-17
Posts: 29
Hornet2000 is on a distinguished road
Is anyone else missing the potential playoff match ups and scoreboard watching of more “local” teams (Avon, Avon Lake, even the NW Ohio Toledo based teams) since regions were shuffled around - instead of looking south for teams that have no rivalries or press coverage here in NE Ohio?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2018 Division VI Schedules EagleFan Football 77 10-28-18 06:16 AM
2017 football (my log/so far) LICKING COUNTY FAN Football 34 10-16-17 06:38 PM
Challenge Game (10/6): St Vincent-St Mary (5-1) at Barberton (6-0) SeeYaSometime Football 102 10-08-17 02:48 AM
Game report: Sidney 49 Tippecanoe 42 LICKING COUNTY FAN Football 26 10-07-17 04:43 PM
07/12 - ALBB - unofficial State / Regional schedules as I found them seclmw Baseball 0 07-12-17 07:28 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:40 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz