Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Colerain vs. Fairfield
Cardinals win by 14+ 30 56.60%
Cardinals win by 7-13 10 18.87%
Cardinals win by 1-6 3 5.66%
Indians win by 1-6 4 7.55%
Indians win by 7-13 2 3.77%
Indians win by 14+ 4 7.55%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-18, 12:28 PM
Junior Varsity

Tribefan72 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigv View Post
Fairfield was not better,Springfield had to come back to Fairfield the next day,as for your QB he didn't do much before his injury,your running back had 99 yards on 20 carries about 60 on 1 carry tell the whole story Springfield had a TD called back and was much faster
Were you at the game? Or just looking at box score? Truth told Springfield had nearly 100 yards on a couple plays also. And make no mistake Springfield is a very good team. But this was also early in the season. Curious what your take that same weekend is on the Colerain/St. X game?

I'd say both teams are completely different than they were in week 2. Either that or they are just abusing sub par competition and this game could be very telling.
Old 10-18-18, 12:43 PM
All American

bigv is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tribefan72 View Post
Were you at the game? Or just looking at box score? Truth told Springfield had nearly 100 yards on a couple plays also. And make no mistake Springfield is a very good team. But this was also early in the season. Curious what your take that same weekend is on the Colerain/St. X game?

I'd say both teams are completely different than they were in week 2. Either that or they are just abusing sub par competition and this game could be very telling.
I was at the game,I also think FF is being overlooked by some on this thread
Old 10-18-18, 12:56 PM
Junior Varsity

Bigv, I am very interested to watch how this one plays out. With how they've both run through the GMC (other than East for FF somewhat) I'm interested to get a barometer of both from this one. I believe this game can be very telling.

Another scenario. Let's say it's a very close battle down to the wire. What does that say for sure? They have both beat up GMC competition but the toughest test for both were two day affairs and a 15-14 loss for FF and a 14-12 win in for Colerain over a 4-4 St. X team.
Old 10-18-18, 01:15 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaller View Post
This year’s Colerain offense is a typical Colerain offense in that they are very good; however, this year’s Colerain defense is special. It’s why I don’t think anyone in the state is within 2 TDs of them. Fairfield could be a top 6-7 team in the state, and they’re going to lose by 3 TDs.
JBaller do the Indians try to exploit the over pursuit with screens and counters to McClean ? Do they try to go over the top with All ? Pretty sure the Cards will do what they do first on offense and adjust when or if necessary.
Old 10-18-18, 01:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocards View Post
This is definitely going to be the most overanalyzed game of the year.
Great though gocards. Actual football talk on a football board in a game that means a lot to both teams. However, when the lights go down both will have high seeds come play off time. One will just have a little more swagger in game 11.
Old 10-18-18, 01:45 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
this is a very good point and in my opinion from watching Fairfield one of the bigger differences in this team over the years past. In the past it seemed there was a few high end players and then a large drop. This year the number of high end players just below the rated recruits is vastly improved. They seem to go two deep at several positions without a huge drop. More of a complete team mentality.
While FF is two deep the Cards go both ways with multiple skill players.
Advantage Indians ?
Old 10-18-18, 01:49 PM
All American

Quote:
Bigv, I am very interested to watch how this one plays out. With how they've both run through the GMC (other than East for FF somewhat) I'm interested to get a barometer of both from this one. I believe this game can be very telling.

Another scenario. Let's say it's a very close battle down to the wire. What does that say for sure? They have both beat up GMC competition but the toughest test for both were two day affairs and a 15-14 loss for FF and a 14-12 win in for Colerain over a 4-4 St. X team.
I thinK this game comes down to turnovers,I also believe FF wins this game,I would love to watch this game,I also don't think past history means a thing come Friday,man I said( this game )quite a bit
Old 10-18-18, 01:55 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I thinK this game comes down to turnovers,I also believe FF wins this game,I would love to watch this game,I also don't think past history means a thing come Friday,man I said( this game )quite a bit
Watch "this game " on wearecolerain.com after your game with Wayne.
Your input would be appreciated.
Old 10-18-18, 01:57 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southwest Guy View Post
While FF is two deep the Cards go both ways with multiple skill players.
Advantage Indians ?
I've questioned this for years and Colerain has had this philosophy for years. They put the best on the field both ways quite often. Hard to argue with the results. Personally I believe that's the way to go. Other than a handful of teams having the luxury to not go both ways with certain kids is hard to do. FF rarely if ever has kids play on both sides of the ball. Personally I believe a well conditioned skill athlete needs very little time out of the game to recover and be full strength. That's just my thoughts. I don't remember needing a ton of rest but that was a couple teen lifetimes ago. haha.
Old 10-18-18, 02:04 PM
All American

Quote:
Watch "this game " on wearecolerain.com after your game with Wayne.
Your input would be appreciated.
Thanks and I will do,will I be able to watch this game on Friday?
Old 10-18-18, 02:12 PM
All American

Quote:
I've questioned this for years and Colerain has had this philosophy for years. They put the best on the field both ways quite often. Hard to argue with the results. Personally I believe that's the way to go. Other than a handful of teams having the luxury to not go both ways with certain kids is hard to do. FF rarely if ever has kids play on both sides of the ball. Personally I believe a well conditioned skill athlete needs very little time out of the game to recover and be full strength. That's just my thoughts. I don't remember needing a ton of rest but that was a couple teen lifetimes ago. haha.
I remember watching a D1 championship game on tv,pretty sure it was Canton Mckinlley,they won State and played 5 or 6 kids both ways,I think coaches play kids both ways to keep parents off their backs
Old 10-18-18, 02:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Yep. CF could provide you with more details. Due to various circumstances often watch the games on Friday night. Maybe the Wildcats meet up with the Cards or Indians in November.
Old 10-18-18, 02:20 PM
All Yappi

CardinalsFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yeah you will! And if you can't watch it live, it will be available immediately afterwards as well.

While you're at it, click that little "i" widget in the upper right hand corner of the screen and toss a few bucks the Colerain Boosters way for the ability to watch, FREE OF CHARGE, this titanic struggle. No kickback to YouTube...all goes directly to Colerain Boosters, who support and fund WeAreColerain.com.

-CardinalsFan
Old 10-18-18, 04:00 PM
All World

JBaller is on a distinguished road
Quote:
JBaller do the Indians try to exploit the over pursuit with screens and counters to McClean ? Do they try to go over the top with All ? Pretty sure the Cards will do what they do first on offense and adjust when or if necessary.
It has to be a thorough mix of play calling. Eventually, you may catch Colerain not expecting something, and then Fairfield has the offense to make a big play. If Fairfield just straight drops back and passes, Tyus will get killed. If they just run McClain into the line, he is going to get killed. If they run jet sweeps all game, Colerain is too fast. A 50-50 run-pass mix, running inside and outside, throwing long and short. You have to keep Colerain on their heels and not attacking. You also have to not get greedy and turn the ball over. 21 points would be a heck of a performance against this Colerain defense, and then Fairfield will have to play some defense themselves. They won't win this game in a shootout because they won't be able to score that much on Colerain.
Old 10-18-18, 05:56 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Great discussion today. Some comments based on the last page of new posts:

* As others have noted the Indian's defensive struggles in the LE game could be a harbinger of bad things to come tomorrow night (Friday is almost here!). Though I stand by my observation that the problem was more mental then physical. FF has the speed & physicality in its front 7 to contain the option.

* The weather looks to be iffy though last I checked they're pulling back a little on how much rain will fall. So Colerain fans is your dome done yet?

* The more I think about it the play of the FF offensive line will be critical to any hope that FF has of moving the ball on offense. If the Indian O-line can hold their own and allow plays to develop FF will move the ball on Colerain. If the line gets manhandled then negative plays & TO's will be the hallmark of the Indian's offense tomorrow night.

* Funny how most of the FF fans posting about the game call out the mental aspect as being crucial. IMO this is where Colerain has their biggest advantage. They regularly play in big games and they don't let adversity get them down. As others have noted FF will have bad things happen to them tomorrow night. In fact it might happen in the 1st quarter. Whenever it happens they'll have to be able to shrug it off.
Old 10-18-18, 05:59 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaller View Post
It has to be a thorough mix of play calling. Eventually, you may catch Colerain not expecting something, and then Fairfield has the offense to make a big play. If Fairfield just straight drops back and passes, Tyus will get killed. If they just run McClain into the line, he is going to get killed. If they run jet sweeps all game, Colerain is too fast. A 50-50 run-pass mix, running inside and outside, throwing long and short. You have to keep Colerain on their heels and not attacking. You also have to not get greedy and turn the ball over. 21 points would be a heck of a performance against this Colerain defense, and then Fairfield will have to play some defense themselves. They won't win this game in a shootout because they won't be able to score that much on Colerain.
"If they run jet sweeps all game" I'll be exhausting my supply of TUMS antacids before the end of the 1st half.
Old 10-18-18, 06:26 PM
All District

graceunder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
"If they run jet sweeps all game" I'll be exhausting my supply of TUMS antacids before the end of the 1st half.
If that happens we will leave at half time and we can go to skyline and cry over some coneys. I will pay for them.
Old 10-18-18, 06:30 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
You guys need to look at the positive Lotr. A jet sweep just before half last year may have changed the course of history.
Old 10-18-18, 06:46 PM
All American

cardinalsin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Actually two-way players at Colerain is a more recent thing and it's only a couple guys.
Old 10-18-18, 07:21 PM
All Region

HardCorps is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I remember watching a D1 championship game on tv,pretty sure it was Canton Mckinlley,they won State and played 5 or 6 kids both ways,I think coaches play kids both ways to keep parents off their backs
I watched Colerain beat McKinley for the State championship. McKinley scored first on a very long running play. The announcer said, “they do not see speed like that down in SW Ohio.” The rest was history.
Old 10-18-18, 07:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
If I may correct you, slightly.

Colerain has NOT had that philosophy for years. Colerain has had that philosophy for like 3 years and it is directly related to the number of kids on the roster. It used to be that Colerain had between 100 and 120 kids on their JV/Varsity combined roster.

Tomorrow night, 32 seniors are going to be recognized on senior night. You know how many underclassmen that leaves? Approximately 55.

Colerain has gone to playing players both ways because they've HAD TO, not because they necessarily want to. While Ivan Pace Jr. is an incredible football player, can you imagine how good he would be if he didn't have to split his time between FB and LB?

It is what it is...Colerain's enrollment has been in a slow decline for years. Combine that with football participation numbers clearly down and this is where we are.

73 in a row and counting...

-CardinalsFan
Old 10-18-18, 07:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

-CardinalsFan
Old 10-18-18, 08:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
If I may correct you, slightly.

Colerain has NOT had that philosophy for years. Colerain has had that philosophy for like 3 years and it is directly related to the number of kids on the roster. It used to be that Colerain had between 100 and 120 kids on their JV/Varsity combined roster.

-CardinalsFan
Agree with the numbers being down but not totally on the 3 year philosophy of two way players. I think Ivan Pace and Sincere Jones have definitely taken it up a notch into almost full time both ways. Maybe that's what you guys are talking about.

There has been a long list of talented receiver / defensive backs who were good contributors on both sides of the ball. Going back to Doug Monaghan, Eugene Clifford, Amir Reip, Keontae Jones, JaVon Hicks etc... who were very effective offensively, defensively and special teams.

Of course none of that matters against the Indians Friday unless fatigue becomes an issue with this years players. Nah that won't happen.
Old 10-19-18, 09:33 AM
All Yappi

GAME DAY!
GAME DAY!!
GAME DAY!!!
GAME DAY!!!!
GAME DAY!!!!!
GAME DAY!!!!!!
GAME DAY!!!!!!!
GAME DAY!!!!!!!!
GAME DAY!!!!!!!!!
GAME DAY!!!!!!!!!!
GAME DAY!!!!!!!!!!!
GAME DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
GAME DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GAME DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GAME DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GAME DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GAME DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GAME DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GAME DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's 19, right?

-CardinalsFan
Old 10-19-18, 09:58 AM
All Ohio

OUcats82 is on a distinguished road
The hour draws near!
Old 10-19-18, 10:08 AM
All Yappi

For everyone's favorite poster....I've been waiting all week to post this...

Hold your ground! Hold your ground!
Sons of Bevis, of Groesbeck, my brothers,
I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me.
A day may come when the courage of men fails,
when we forsake our friends
and break all bonds of fellowship,
but it is not this day.

An hour of Indians and cracked helmets,
when the age of the Cardinal comes crashing down,
but it is not THIS day!

THIS DAY WE FIGHT!!

By all that you hold dear on this good Earth,
I bid you stand, Men of the West!!!

GO CARDINALS! WE ARE...COLERAIN!!!

#BeatFairfield
Old 10-19-18, 11:18 AM
All Ohio

Unstacked is on a distinguished road
If Fairfield does win the game and the GMC, I wonder if that changes McClains plan of going back to his home school, Winton Woods for his Senior season in order to repeat as GMC champs? This is coming from HS kids he was talking with so take that for what its worth, but I was told that he wanted to play with his former youth RB teammate, Williams in the Warrior backfield. That would be a very scary combo!
Looking forward to a great game tonight!
Old 10-19-18, 12:03 PM
All Yappi

colgar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocards View Post
Stats can be very deceiving. Colerain does not feature individuals. They do not have to depend on their linebackers to make all of the tackles this year. They are much more balanced on offense and defense.

It will be interesting to see if they can contain McClain. They held Debrosi of East to only 8 yards but they are very different types of backs.
I agree about the stats. The last month or so, Colerain's stats have all been achieved in the first half. Having said that, the Cardinals got off to a really fast start against LaSalle and was able to coast. They had the game interrupted against St. X. Princeton pushed the Cards until half time.

As a Cards fan, I'm not worried about the physical shape of Colerain. My concern is their concentration for 48 minutes.

Last week the Cards had zero penalties, none, nada, zip by either the starters or JV's in the second half. That type of concentration and execution are needed tonight.
Old 10-19-18, 12:23 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by colgar View Post
Last week the Cards had zero penalties, none, nada, zip by either the starters or JV's in the second half. That type of concentration and execution are needed tonight.
colgar - love to see you posting again, if only for a short bit.

This cannot be overlooked as well. Penalties have been a very real concerns for the Cardinals this season. So much so that I know members of the coaching staff are tacking them and working to show the kids what they are doing wrong and the real impact of those penalties.

No need to give Fairfield "hidden" yards tonight. They are plenty good enough to earn them on their own.

Good call out.

-CardinalsFan
Old 10-19-18, 12:37 PM
All Ohio

W@rrior 11 is on a distinguished road
This is the game of the week!