Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Colerain vs. Fairfield
Cardinals win by 14+ 30 56.60%
Cardinals win by 7-13 10 18.87%
Cardinals win by 1-6 3 5.66%
Indians win by 1-6 4 7.55%
Indians win by 7-13 2 3.77%
Indians win by 14+ 4 7.55%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-18, 05:37 PM
This is the year

gocards is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Tribefan72 this is exactly how I see it to. We have reason to be cautiously optimistic that the Indians could pull off the the upset while at the same time are right to be concerned that FF will get blown out. The two feelings are not mutually exclusive.

Your point about staying patient and running the football is spot on. Even if FF were to get down 14 - 0 early they will need to keep feeding the ball to #9 and running the read option with #5. The play the Indians must be very careful about trying to often is the jet sweep. This is a feast or famine type of play that is as likely to get blown up and lose 5 yards as it is to gain 10 yards. Continuously getting behind the sticks against the Colerain defense is a recipe for disaster and must be avoided at all costs.

Do you think Colerain is more vulnerable than they were last year and in what areas?
Old 10-15-18, 06:19 PM
This is the year

The most recent common opponent that I found for Colerain and Fairfield was Lakota east. Colerain allowed 75 yards total offense with no starters playing the 2nd half. Lakota East had 396 yds total offense against Fairfield with Fairfield starters playing the whole game.
McClain scored his last touchdown with 33 sec left in the game. How did the Fairfield defense give up that many yards to East?
Old 10-15-18, 06:32 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
Obviously, lotr10 would be the expert on how FF is better this year than last. However, I think FF's QB play is much better than last year. Tyus is a real threat. He leads the GMC in passing with 8 different receivers touching the ball, according to GMCSports.com. He has a 10 TD/2 INT ratio vs. last year he only tossed 8 TD all year to go along with 5 picks.

Also, Del Thomas is still on the team. He was very impressive last year as a Jr. and this year, he just leads the team with 45 tackles to go along with 4.5 sacks and an interception. In total, the FF defense has 30 sacks this season. To put that in perspective, they only had 24.5 ALL of last year WITH Malik Vann on the team...think about that.

So yes, I think FF is significantly better than last year (as are we) and if this game were at FF, I might struggle picking Colerain. Because it's at home, I will pick the Cards because I just can't see any team coming to our house, on senior night, and beating us for the GMC Title. Just can't see it.

-CardinalsFan
CF I ttink there's 3 areas where FF is better then they were last season:

1) First, your comment about FF's QB play is spot on. IMO this is the biggest improvement from last year. Tyus must have put in a lot of work in the off season as he's improved in every aspect of his game.

2) The other place FF has improved is in the running game. McClain is bigger & faster then he was last season. You can see the increased confidence of a kid that is in his 2nd year playing varsity. As elusive and fast as he is, #9 is a harder runner between the tackles then you might expect.

I also think the O-line run blocks better then last year. Another area is in the offensive design where you have All (#83) and #88 who are both big kids that can run block as well as stretch the field for the pass. This allows the FF offense to play these two in tight where they can provide run blocking in the same way a TE does.

3) FF's kicking is much improved. Last year they struggled to make an extra point. This year they've made almost all of them. I'm fairly confident that the Indians can nail FG's out to 35 yards. They also can kick the ball into the end zone which is big when facing the type of return players a team like Colerain can field. Punting is solid as is the punt & KO return games.
Old 10-15-18, 06:33 PM
All World

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Colerain 34 Fairfield 17
Old 10-15-18, 06:39 PM
Moderated User

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
Colerain 34 Fairfield 17
Uh its the same old song with a different beat since you been gone.
Old 10-15-18, 06:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocards View Post
The most recent common opponent that I found for Colerain and Fairfield was Lakota east. Colerain allowed 75 yards total offense with no starters playing the 2nd half. Lakota East had 396 yds total offense against Fairfield with Fairfield starters playing the whole game.
McClain scored his last touchdown with 33 sec left in the game. How did the Fairfield defense give up that many yards to East?
It's a big mystery to me what happened in that game.

First off, give credit where credit is due the LE offense executed the option perfectly that night. Their QB was scrappy and he ran that offense like a seasoned vet. LE threw the ball out of the option very well and all their backs made plays.

My sense watching the game was that FF seemed a step slow in reacting to the option. It looked to me like the kids were thinking to much about their assignments. In a way I'm glad FF struggled against East's option. There can be no delusions on Holden blvd that FF can contain the Colerain option with anything less then an A+ effort & execution.

For the rest of the season FF has been very stout against the run. In fact no one has run the ball against them except East. Bottom line is that I'm hoping it was a one off thing.
Old 10-15-18, 06:45 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Do you think Colerain is more vulnerable than they were last year and in what areas?
I think BOTH teams are better then they were last season.

ON PAPER, this has the potential to be a great game because I don't see either team so much exploiting each others vulnerabilities, because I don't see a lot of them for either team, as much as it being a case of which team executes their strengths the best.
Old 10-15-18, 07:09 PM
All World

CardDad is on a distinguished road
How big will playing time be? Cards have not played many 4 quarter games.
Old 10-15-18, 07:35 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardDad View Post
How big will playing time be? Cards have not played many 4 quarter games.
Not to much as FF has had a running clock in their last 2 games. I think the net effect of not playing a lot of 4th quarters is that both teams are healthier.
Old 10-15-18, 07:43 PM
This is the year

Quote:
Not to much as FF has had a running clock in their last 2 games. I think the net effect of not playing a lot of 4th quarters is that both teams are healthier.

The cool weather helps too.
Old 10-15-18, 07:55 PM
All Ohio

W@rrior 11 is on a distinguished road
Its hard to go against Colerain when they face any GMC opponent. My prediction is Colerain by at least 2 scores. I think the Cards defense will be too tough.
Old 10-15-18, 08:17 PM
All World

Quote:
Good point. Hope you are correct. Should be a great game.
Old 10-15-18, 08:48 PM
All World

JBaller is on a distinguished road
Having seen Sycamore obliterated by both teams, here is my take from a neutral perspective:

I think you have to look at matchups (i.e. Colerain offense vs. Fairfield defense; Fairfield offense vs. Colerain defense).

Colerain Offense vs. Fairfield Defense

One year ago, Fairfield's defense gave up a total of 14.4 ppg in games not against Colerain while Colerain averaged 34.4 ppg in games not against Fairfield. This season, those numbers are 12.8 ppg for the Fairfield defense and 38.1 ppg for the Colerain offense. Despite losing Malik Vann, I think Fairfield's defense is more or less the same as a year ago. They are giving up more yards this year but also slightly fewer points. The points may be aided by the offense turning the ball over less. Fairfield is very stingy against the run due to their size on the line and their speed to prevent teams from getting to the edge. They are a bit vulnerable to the pass, especially over the top. Meanwhile, Colerain is probably better on offense than a year ago. They improved their rushing attack from 5.9 ypc to 6.6 ypc, mostly due to Smith-Moore's improved decision-making in the triple option (despite a slight offensive line regression). They have also improved throwing the ball, improving from 8.6 ypa to 11.9 ypa. Smith-Moore is probably slightly more accurate than Leyendecker was as a passer; however, the increase in passing production is due to the fact that they are executing better in the triple option and throwing a bit less, leading to more wide open receivers for big plays when the surprise pass play is called.

Colerain's worst two offensive performances to-date were in their first two games against Lasalle and St. X (granted, probably the two best defenses they have faced). The reason they struggled in those games were because both Lasalle and St. X were disciplined enough to keep their assignments and prevent the big play, and likewise, Colerain was not executing well enough in the triple option to march methodically down the field. Their longest play from scrimmage against Lasalle was only 20 yards, while they managed just three plays of over 20 yards against St. X. They had only 14 1st downs against Lasalle and just 10 1st downs against St. X. Colerain is now executing much better in the triple option, just as they always improve as the season goes on.

Fairfield is talented enough on defense to prevent Davis and Jones from hitting the big play on the edge but they are simply not going to be disciplined enough to take away all three options and will instead have to concede one of them. They will probably force Smith-Moore to keep quite a bit more as he is not nearly the home run threat compared to the other backs and they will also want to hit him to affect his passing. Smith-Moore hasn't had double digit carries since Week 3 and should be fresh enough to keep the chains moving. If Fairfield crashes in on him, he is very willing to give the ball on the dive or pitch it and very rarely plays hero ball. I expect Fairfield to slow Colerain's offense a little bit early, making Colerain resort to some bubble screens or counters to try to stretch the field laterally a little bit more. Once Fairfield is guessing, I expect Colerain to hit two long TDs down the seam against Fairfield's vulnerable secondary. It's hard to see Colerain scoring anything less than 28 in this game.

Fairfield Offense vs. Colerain Defense

The biggest improvement for Fairfield from a year ago is on offense, improving from 25.8 ppg in non-Colerain games to 36.6 ppg so far this year. Even though they lost Carman from last year's team (I'll even say that this may be a case of addition by subtraction as well), pretty much everybody else on offense is a year older. Tyus had developed into a tremendous senior QB, completing 72% of his passes at 10.5 ypa, up from 51% and 6.0 ypa a year ago. His biggest improvement is in throwing down the field, and Coach Krause is very willing to stretch the field vertically with All and Ellis. He is also tremendously helped by junior running back Jutahn McClain, who is one of the best RB in the state. McClain isn't so much a between the tackles runner, but he is shifty and dynamic in space and is also a very good receiver. He has 1,526 yards from scrimmage so far this year. Fairfield's offensive line is also improved, and All, a D1 recruit at TE, is a very willing blocker to seal the edge. In the games when Tyus has been healthy, their worst offensive performance to-date has been against Princeton (also the best defense they have faced with a healthy Tyus), and they were held to 31 points despite gaining 439 yards because they had 2 turnovers.

Likewise, Colerain's biggest improvement from a year ago happens to be on defense. They have improved from giving up 13.1 ppg in non-Fairfield games a year ago to 5.9 ppg so far this year. 5.9 ppg would be the best in Colerain history and far and away the best in Coach Bolden's tenure. Even the vaunted Kerry Coombs defenses in '04 and '06 gave up more at 6.5 ppg and 6.4 ppg respectively. Make no mistake, this is a Coombs-era vintage Colerain defense, despite what all of the Colerain posters on here will tell you. Colerain simply does not give up anything against the pass. Their defensive line is far too good and gets home too quickly, and their secondary is tremendous and very ball-hawking. They have 9 FR and 10 INT so far this season. The defense is pretty well-balanced by class, featuring 6 Seniors, 3 Juniors, and 2 Sophomores. 4 out of the 6 seniors already have FBS offers or commits, and a 5th is likely to get offers. 2 of the juniors already have FBS offers, and I think all 3 will, and both sophomores will also be FBS players. This defense has a ridiculous amount of talent at all levels.

The only two teams with at all a modicum of success against Colerain were St. X and Princeton. St. X threw for 298 yards, but that came with 3 INT and 2 fumbles on sacks. Both TDs were on long passes, and St. X didn't sustain really any semblance of drives. Princeton managed two TDs against Colearin, one on the opening drive with a long run and the other on a Hail Mary just before the half. Princeton probably had the best success running the ball against Colerain, but they also have the best offensive line in the league and about 1/3 of their 168 yards came against Colerain's backups.

Fairfield is fully capable of hitting big plays against Colerain with the talent they have at their disposal, but it is a high risk high reward strategy due to the number of turnovers that Colerain can create. This will be very interesting to see how Krause calls this game. Go conservative, and Fairfield may not be able to sustain drives and might fall behind, which is not a good place to be against this Colerain defense. Be aggressive, and risk turnovers which could turn this game into a rout.

Prediction

Fairfield simply isn't going to be able to keep Colerain off the scoreboard, but the matchup between Fairfield's offense and Colerain's defense will be very intriguing. One of the best offenses in the state against THE best defense in the state. I fully expect this to be close in the 1st half, Fairfield will play turnover-free football in the 1st half, focusing on the run, and I think McClain gets loose for 1 TD. Colerain will struggle to move the ball some, but grinds out one drive for 1 TD and breaks loose for a long run for another TD, and Colerain goes into halftime up 14-7. Colerain will hit a big pass to go up 2 TD in the 2nd half, and then Fairfield will be forced to throw. They will get 1 TD throwing the ball, but will also turn the ball over twice, setting up quick Colerain scores, and the rout will be on.

Colerain wins 38-14.
Old 10-15-18, 10:49 PM
All Yappi

CardinalsFan is on a distinguished road

That, ladies and gentlemen, is a breakdown.

Well done JBaller. We are all smarter for having read that breakdown from a neutral party.

I agree that the real intrigue is the FF Offense vs. the Colerain Defense. How Krause chooses to play it is going to dictate a lot and that is all going to come down to the play of the star Jr. RB McClain. If he finds space and can convert first downs, I think they stay conservative to eat clock and try to win late.

If not, and the Cards can contain him to short yardage gains, they things could get real interesting...

Is it Friday yet??

-CardinalsFan
Old 10-15-18, 11:11 PM
All District

graceunder is on a distinguished road
As a Fairfield fan and parent I find this thread delightful to read. It is full of well thoughout post. I am looking forward to the game Friday night. I salute the Colerain Cardinals for having a great football program. It is probable that Colerain wins this game. However, I am excited that the Indians have an opportunity to play such a noble opponent, it makes it exciting, and I know the players are looking forward to it. Maybe just maybe on a cool moist October night these young Indians will play the game of their lives and a miracle will fill their memoir of a lifetime.
Old 10-16-18, 08:34 AM
2018 GMC & GCL Champs!

tofer23 is on a distinguished road
Hoping to be able to catch the game online, as I will be in Florida for vacation, despite not being in my normal spot on the hill, I think the Mighty Colerain Cardinals will pull ahead in the second half and the game will look a lot more lopsided a victory than it actually was.
Old 10-16-18, 10:40 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofer23 View Post
Hoping to be able to catch the game online, as I will be in Florida for vacation, despite not being in my normal spot on the hill, I think the Mighty Colerain Cardinals will pull ahead in the second half and the game will look a lot more lopsided a victory than it actually was.
As is the case every week, we will broadcast the game online for you and anyone else who can't make it. Be sure and give is a holler in the YouTube chat room during the broadcast.

-CardinalsFan
Old 10-16-18, 10:47 AM
This is the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardinalsFan View Post
As is the case every week, we will broadcast the game online for you and anyone else who can't make it. Be sure and give is a holler in the YouTube chat room during the broadcast.

-CardinalsFan

Video or just Audio?
Old 10-16-18, 11:31 AM
All Ohio

Vike16 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMagicRon View Post
This will be a whole week of Lotr10 bowing down and kissing the ring of the GMC kings, Colerain.

Lotr10 you keep doing what you do. Some people on yappi are Cornballs
Old 10-16-18, 11:46 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Video or just Audio?
It's a home game, so we'll do video.

I had also heard that Spectrum was going to be there to do the game as well for replay on Saturday. Not sure if that was finalized or not.

Let me just say this...and this isn't aimed at you gocards because I know you'll be there....but if you are a fan of High School football and want to see a GREAT game and an awesome atmosphere on Friday night...come to this game.

It has been a rare occurrence for Colerain to have a real close, competitive contest against a GMC team in the recent past. THIS game will have that.

It's also Senior night and there is no doubt that this team would not be where they are if not for the senior class. Come out and support them by cheering them on during their last* home game of the year.

We broadcast home games on WeAreColerain.com for the fans that can't make it there for whatever reason. We encourage you, if you can be there...BE THERE! Patronize the school with ticket and concessions money. You don't have to spend a fortune, but $20-$30 can go a long way.

See you at The Cage on Friday night!!

-CardinalsFan
Old 10-16-18, 11:47 AM
All Yappi

DonMagicRon is on a distinguished road
Keep kissing the ring. Until one of these big, fat, soft GMC football programs decides to stand up to the bully, they are going to keep getting smacked around. Colerain doesnt even really respect their GMC foes. Their posters are going to be cordial this week.
Old 10-16-18, 12:32 PM
All Yappi

zeeman is on a distinguished road
Lotr is da man! Go Fairfield!
Old 10-16-18, 01:14 PM
All Yappi

Southwest Guy is on a distinguished road
Nice read on a good football thread. Great input on both sides and of course JBaller and Lotr always give great breakdowns. Been looking forward to this all year.
Old 10-16-18, 03:56 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Keep kissing the ring. Until one of these big, fat, soft GMC football programs decides to stand up to the bully, they are going to keep getting smacked around. Colerain doesnt even really respect their GMC foes. Their posters are going to be cordial this week.
You’re DII man, your team doesn’t even count
Old 10-16-18, 04:37 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeman View Post
You’re DII man, your team doesn’t even count
This coming from Badin poster, that rarely post about Badin.
Old 10-16-18, 04:39 PM
All World

Wink

Quote:
Why do you feel the need to hear yourself
Old 10-16-18, 04:44 PM
All Yappi

JBaller, great take on the game.

My only quibble is comparing this years Colerain team to the 2004 one. My sense is that the statistical comparison between 2004 & 2018 has been impacted by the running clock rule. As I recall back then, Colerain's JV's played a big chunk of the 2nd half often going up against their opponents starters. Basically GMC teams left their starters in until they scored in the 4th against the Cards. Then it was JV vs JV. Because the running clock didn't exist back then a lot more series involving the back-ups were played compared to today.
Old 10-16-18, 04:46 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
This coming from Badin poster, that rarely post about Badin.
My kid graduated four years ago lol. I’m not some middle aged dude saying “we” when referring to a HS football team
Old 10-16-18, 04:49 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceunder View Post
As a Fairfield fan and parent I find this thread delightful to read. It is full of well thoughout post. I am looking forward to the game Friday night. I salute the Colerain Cardinals for having a great football program. It is probable that Colerain wins this game. However, I am excited that the Indians have an opportunity to play such a noble opponent, it makes it exciting, and I know the players are looking forward to it. Maybe just maybe on a cool moist October night these young Indians will play the game of their lives and a miracle will fill their memoir of a lifetime.
Hopefully it won't be to cool & moist! That Oak Hills game was a chore with the cold rain coming down.

I think coach Krause brought up a good point last night on Tribe Talk (it's on WMOH every Monday at 7:00). He talked about how the Indians had earned a shot at the King and he's right. As someone who didn't miss a game during the tough times where 2 wins in a season was the stretch expectation, the fact that FF has played well enough to be in a position to knock Colerain off and win the GMC is no small feat.

Of course if you study history you know that when you take a shot at the King you better finish the job or it's your head on the chopping block!
Old 10-16-18, 05:05 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeman View Post
My kid graduated four years ago lol. I’m not some middle aged dude saying “we” when referring to a HS football team
I love it, you love it, WE love it.