Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-05-18, 10:49 AM
Varsity

papride is on a distinguished road
ECP is NOT the same team as the last two years. They lost a ton to graduation. This years team is still trying to find their identity. I would say the run game has been their strong point so far this season. The teams 28 game win streak was broken week 1 of this season against Pittsburgh Central Catholic. PCC only suffered 2 losses last season, Their opener to ECP and the WPIAL (Conference) championships to eventual AAAAAA-State Champs Pine Richland. Prep vs PCC, week 1, I wasn't sure what to expect. Looked like the timing was off between QB and receivers. Run game was strong out of the gate but they got away from it. Final score was 24-21. Prep scored late, then attempted an onside kick but PCC recovered. Last week, Prep got off to a slow start in an awkward game that saw a 45 min delay due to a power outage about 1 minute into the 3rd quarter. Noticed a couple kids that started week 1, where on the sidelines week 2 not dressed. Hoping they get those injuries taken care of before this week. Should be a good game. I'd give St. Eds a slight edge. Ill say 31-28 Ed's.

https://tribhssn.triblive.com/Video/...tral-catholic/
Old 09-07-18, 01:30 PM
Varsity

papride is on a distinguished road
Nothing?
Old 09-08-18, 06:31 AM
All Yappi

EaglePride01 is on a distinguished road
Clearly ECP has taken a step back from where they've been the past few years. The running back was a good player and ripped off a few nice runs, but overall there was no real continuity to their offense. Passing game was real scattershot. A few times they had guys open downfield, but the throws were either off or the receivers did not make a play. Ed's defense is starting to play up to expectations. Still giving up too many big running plays with the front 7 overpursuing and providing huge cutback lanes, but it was fewer and far between against Prep.

Eagles were solidly in control the entire game. Castleberry is starting to find his mojo, and Dzuro has been very good running the read option. The vertical passing game has taken a back seat the past few weeks after torching Mentor in week one. Not sure if that is by design or what, but I'd like to see them open it back up next week against Elder, a team that typically isn't as strong in their secondary.
Old 09-09-18, 08:49 AM
All American

sehs
It was nice to see the Eagle o-line take control. Some really good work between Castleberry and Dzuro meant that they didn't need to rely on the pass as much. Cathedral Prep isn't what they have been but they were still well organized and well coached. St. Ed's did well to keep them bottled up and cruised to a solid 35-3 win. They can beat Elder, although it is a tough road environment and I would assume Elder has more talent than ECP. They beat Cathedral at the Pit a couple of weeks ago and plenty of very good St. Ed's teams have trouble making the trip down to Cincinatti and playing there. It will require some extra focus and being mentally ready but I believe the Eagles can win and get back to .500.
Old 09-09-18, 09:32 AM
Scatologist

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Important week for the Eagles. Have not won last couple times down to the Pit. May need to pull the upset to solidify playoff chances
Old 09-09-18, 09:35 AM
All District

River_Eagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Important week for the Eagles. Have not won last couple times down to the Pit. May need to pull the upset to solidify playoff chances
Winning in the pit is a big ask when Elder isnít really good.

They still get in at 7-3 though.
Old 09-09-18, 08:37 PM
All American

sehs
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
In 2014 the Eagles lost their best receiver Alex Stump on a potential game tying drive, broke his foot and was out for the season. One thing I thought about that game was that although St. Ed's was supremely talented, that loss was the beginning of the state championship drive. They would lose a tough game on the road to Bergen Catholic the next week as they tried to find offensive mojo again but never really looked back after that. The loss was 21-14.

In 2016, St. Ed's went down to the Pit and played one of their most frustrating games of the year. Elder looked to be overmatched as the Eagles scored on a bubble screen for 80 yards on their first drive, just ran past everyone. They then were bogged down with penalties and sloppy play. They struggled to move the ball, at the end of the first half they drove down to the 1 of Elder but were unable to punch it in and then either fumbled the snap or ran out of time to get the FG unit out there. Some plays looked as if they would break out in the open but someone would get tripped up or called back. Elder ground out a 15-9 win. That Eagle team I felt was trying to find itself offensively and would show some flashes of great play while having a lot of inconsistency.
Old 09-10-18, 01:19 PM
Scatologist

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Looks like St. Edward canceled the COF game and will take a Bye week after the critical Elder game.

Cathedral has lost a couple close games, and I don't think they are an easy win anyway, so computer points are going to be tough to come by. Losing an 0-10 COF of the schwedule will help us with a lower divisor.
Old 09-10-18, 01:46 PM
All American

slammer20 is on a distinguished road
Big test this week at the PIT. I expect to see Elder try to run the ball against the Eagles to keep their big play offense off the field and slow the game down. Not certain if their starting QB enjoys the same dual threat abilities as a Ramsey from years past, but that's the area this Eagles' D needs to improve in...containing a read option QB that can also pass well enough to control the chains.

I anticipate the Eagles will score...but they have sent very good offenses to Elder in the past to only be stymied. They need to take the points as they come on the road and not take too many chances when in the red zone. Getting back to 2-2 at this point in the season against a Harbin cow is critical.

Go Eagles!

Last edited by slammer20; 09-11-18 at 05:06 AM.
Old 09-17-18, 10:24 AM
All American

Much needed win on Saturday by the Eagles. Elder proved to have a very effective passing game and gave the Eagles a fit in the 1st half.

They still need to get quicker on D with their front seven. I would play Jernigan almost exclusively at an OLB position giving the D needed sideline-to-sideline speed and allow Kolesar and Johnson to man the FS/SS roles. Still looking for one of the DE's to exert themselves as a prominent pass rusher...they liberally rotate up front during the contest.

Dzuro, Castleberry, and Kent are the main weapons on the O. Outside of the Mentor game that featured Wainwright as an alternative, I would like to see them feature other athletes on O. They will need to be more diverse offensively as the season unfolds.

Offensive line continues to improve weekly...they are becoming a very solid unit.

Get healthy this week...Go Eagles!
Old 09-20-18, 08:40 PM
All District

Cat Man 11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redflagday View Post
Sad news for St Edward Shaun Crawford who tore ACL in left knee and is out for season at Notre Dame.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this: But Cole Gest also tore is ACL, in the opening game vs. Florida International and is out for the season at Indiana.

Last edited by Cat Man 11; 09-20-18 at 08:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-21-18, 09:17 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Man 11 View Post
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this: But Cole Gest also tore is ACL, in the opening game vs. Florida International and is out for the season at Indiana.
Seems like the injury bug has plagued a number of promising college careers from Ed's and Ignatius grads.
Old 09-21-18, 09:47 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammer20 View Post
Much needed win on Saturday by the Eagles. Elder proved to have a very effective passing game and gave the Eagles a fit in the 1st half.

They still need to get quicker on D with their front seven. I would play Jernigan almost exclusively at an OLB position giving the D needed sideline-to-sideline speed and allow Kolesar and Johnson to man the FS/SS roles. Still looking for one of the DE's to exert themselves as a prominent pass rusher...they liberally rotate up front during the contest.

Dzuro, Castleberry, and Kent are the main weapons on the O. Outside of the Mentor game that featured Wainwright as an alternative, I would like to see them feature other athletes on O. They will need to be more diverse offensively as the season unfolds.

Offensive line continues to improve weekly...they are becoming a very solid unit.

Get healthy this week...Go Eagles!
I do think we have the depth in the secondary to experiment with some different looks at LB, and I think Pietrowski needs to be utilized more as a standing rush end. I would like to see Kolesar return to safety as he is equally adept in supporting the run as he is in coverage.

On offense I'm waiting to see if there is more to the playbook than what we've seen so far. I think Dzuro is run far too often, and there is not much diversity in the pass game. Everything is either a wide screen or a deep pass, hoping our playmakers out-athlete the guy across from them. It's far too predictable, and the better defenses will snuff it out.
Old 09-21-18, 12:52 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
St. Edward Football 2018

FWIW, this looks like part of the reason why the COF game was cancelled. Something is certainly amiss with this school.

http://www.thisweeknews.com/news/201...th-cof-academy
Old 09-29-18, 01:58 PM
All American

Eagles highlights...

1. O line continues to improve. Becoming one of the better units on the team.

2. Moving Pietrowski to DE proves to be a solid decision...occupies O line and provides much needed contain.

3. Johnson to an OLB improves side to side mobility on D.

Eagle lowlights

1. Still need more speed at the LB position. IMO, Jernigan needs to play at LB.

2. Kicking game and kick coverage requires significant improvement. Field position and loss of points in the kicking game have proved costly this year.

3. IMO, if they don't find plays for Wainwright on O, move him to D. Too good of an athlete to NOT make an impact somewhere. Maybe try him at FS and move Jernigan to a LB position.

Go Eagles!
Old 09-29-18, 03:24 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Eagles highlights...

2. Moving Pietrowski to DE proves to be a solid decision...occupies O line and provides much needed contain.

Eagle lowlights

2. Kicking game and kick coverage requires significant improvement. Field position and loss of points in the kicking game have proved costly this year.

3. IMO, if they don't find plays for Wainwright on O, move him to D. Too good of an athlete to NOT make an impact somewhere. Maybe try him at FS and move Jernigan to a LB position.

Go Eagles!
Have to agree with your recommendations. Front seven on D still a little stiff, especially against a mobile QB. We don't do well when blitzing up the middle. Forces QB outside and we don't have the guys on the edge to keep contain. Cb and safety blitzes from the outside have been our best way of getting pressure. If the blitzer doesn't get the QB, it forces him back inside where we have help. I know I'm looking ahead here, but R1 goes through Mentor this year, and containing Kipp has to be the goal.

Not much needed from the passing game today, but I'd still like to see us improve the route tree. Aside from a couple looks to the TE today, it was pretty much deep shots and screens to Kent.
Old 09-29-18, 03:34 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
St edward clinches a playoff spot.
Old 10-08-18, 02:33 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Eagles highlights...

Eagle lowlights

Go Eagles!
Looks like they took your advice (and then some) for the Cathedral game. Jernigan and fellow safety Richard Johnson both played LB alongside mainstay Teon Smith. Pietrowski played standing up on the edge. Kolesar and Lawson Nash were at the safety spots. And in a final twist, Quintel Kent started at corner opposite Logan Nash. Despite Kent's obvious athleticism, that experiment did not go well and he was targeted early and often. I don't think he played any more corner after the first few series. The rest of the adjustments went pretty well. It leaves us awfully small at LB, but provided the sideline-to-sideline speed we've been missing. Not sure how that would work against power run teams.
Old 10-09-18, 06:37 AM
All American

Johnson has been playing at LB for a few weeks now, but Jernigan was the most recent add. I would be willing to sacrifice some size for speed "sideline to sideline" this year up front. The D line is not exceptionally quick or big and need the extra athleticism at the LB position to defend against RPO teams.

I can understand the desire to place your fastest athlete in the secondary, but not at CB in week 6. CB is far more difficult to learn than FS. It should be interesting to see how they lineup defensively in the coming weeks.

Go Eagles!

Last edited by slammer20; 10-10-18 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-14-18, 01:25 PM
All American

Season starts all over in week 9. Eagles will travel to play a very motivated Moeller team this Saturday. It will be interesting to see how the staff prepares the team to compete and how they scheme it on O and D this upcoming weekend.

Go Eagles!
Old 10-14-18, 07:23 PM
Freshman

conspiritor is on a distinguished road
We are made for this type of game. GO EAGLES!!!!!
Old 10-15-18, 05:43 AM
All World

eaglepride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Season starts all over in week 9. Eagles will travel to play a very motivated Moeller team this Saturday. It will be interesting to see how the staff prepares the team to compete and how they scheme it on O and D this upcoming weekend.

Go Eagles!
Hopefully, they had scouts at the Moeller / St. Ignatius game and commit to stopping the run and forcing their QB / WR's to move the chains.
Old 10-15-18, 05:53 AM
All World

eaglepride is on a distinguished road
Anyone else notice that Detroit Cass Tech has only been scored on in three games and besides the St. Edward game, they have only given up a touchdown in the two other games. So, they have given up 34 points all year and 20 of those came from the St. Edward game. Looks like they have a heck of a team this year. Wonder if they are in any national top 25 polls or will make that leap later in the year?
Old 10-15-18, 10:57 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglepride View Post
Anyone else notice that Detroit Cass Tech has only been scored on in three games and besides the St. Edward game, they have only given up a touchdown in the two other games. So, they have given up 34 points all year and 20 of those came from the St. Edward game. Looks like they have a heck of a team this year. Wonder if they are in any national top 25 polls or will make that leap later in the year?
Cass Tech defense was definitely talented, but I wouldn't read too much into their latest results. They've feasted largely on a bunch of patsy Detroit public schools. Not unlike what Glenville usually does to their Senate foes. They will get a test this week against Detroit King, the only other city team that has the players to match up with them.

Still can't believe we lost that game. Probably have our playoff spot locked up now with that harbin cow.
Old 10-16-18, 03:30 PM
All Yappi

Anyone know if the plan is to travel down day before as we did for Elder? I think it paid dividends last time.
Old 10-20-18, 12:58 PM
All American

They travelled on Friday afternoon...go Eagles!
Old 10-20-18, 01:00 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePride01 View Post
Cass Tech defense was definitely talented, but I wouldn't read too much into their latest results. They've feasted largely on a bunch of patsy Detroit public schools. Not unlike what Glenville usually does to their Senate foes. They will get a test this week against Detroit King, the only other city team that has the players to match up with them.

Still can't believe we lost that game. Probably have our playoff spot locked up now with that harbin cow.
Cass Tech had a legitimate O-line that took over in Q4. The Eagles had a chance to win, but could not limit the BIG play at the end of the game to earn a victory. They have looked better in the past few weeks and I hope the improvement carry's over into week 9 and 10.

Go Eagles!
Old 10-21-18, 07:09 AM
All American

Eagles secure a hard fought victory on the road. They need to eliminate the turnovers in week 10 to get a win against the Cats.

Go Eagles!
Old 10-26-18, 09:17 AM
All American

Keys to an Eagles' victory this evening or

1. Win field position. Ignatius will use its D and kicking game to tilt the field position in its favor.

2. Stretch the field horizontally on O. Expect the Wildcats to eliminate Kent as a deep threat. The Eagles will need to work the intermediate and sideline routes to get the Cats' 3-5 D away from the line of scrimmage and out of the tackle box. Its the only way Dzuro and Castleberry will eventually enjoy running lanes.

3. Get the easy points. When we score, convert the PATs and avoid chasing "make up" points late in the game.

4. Take away the crossing routes associated with the Ignatius passing game. Remain patient in pass D and do not chase a "man" when in zone coverage. The Cats are great at clearing out an area and filling the same with a 2nd receiver. Don't jump the 1st route.

Good luck, stay healthy (to all of the athletes) and Go Eagles!
Old 10-26-18, 09:38 AM
All American

sehs
All great points! As usual, it's a solid analysis of what strengths we need to play to and what weaknesses we should try to avoid.

For a game like this, I will always think about calling something that wrong foots the Wildcats. I felt Finotti did a wonderful job in this regard during his time. His first year he started the game with a "Wildcat" formation and stuck to as long as he could. Part of this was out of necessity due to injuries but it was a respectable 28-0 loss when it could have been much worse given the talent/experience disparity that year.

In 2012 he called the flea flicker to Anthony Young and trusted his very talented sophomores later when David Dowell made a tremendous catch for the Eagles to go ahead and claim eventual victory that game. Obviously, its tough playing Week 10 and knowing there's a possible matchup in the next few weeks so there's a tendency to not show as much but outside of what we already know we do well, I would love to see something to worry them as we go forward into the postseason.