Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-31-18, 09:19 PM
Varsity

TRUE BLUE DAD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBall Fax View Post
I heard Zia likes Tennessee, Ohio State is a long shot. OSU is fifth at Best is what I heard.

I heard Bell is 19 years old? I know sophomores and Juniors in college not that old. Does anyone know if that is true? It can’t be true, can it?
If Bell is 19, how does that impact her eligibility for next year??
MCGal can you help us here?? Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by TRUE BLUE DAD; 03-31-18 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Auto-Correct
Old 04-02-18, 10:28 PM
Freshman

BBall Fax is on a distinguished road
Eligibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUE BLUE DAD View Post
If Bell is 19, how does that impact her eligibility for next year??
MCGal can you help us here?? Thanks in advance!!
My understanding is you can play until you turn 20. But you can apply for an exception. That is quite an advantage if true? Give a couple more years to some of these other girls and who knows?
Old 04-05-18, 10:26 AM
Varsity

I always thought you could not be 19 when your season started. It’s been awhile since I saw it, I’m sure it’s changed since then.
Old 04-09-18, 10:50 AM
All Yappi

MCGal is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MCGal
For the love of God... seriously people, STOP with this nonsense about her being that old. That rumor is so ridiculous and so overspread it's crazy. She's a year old for her grade. TALK TO THE GIRL... you'll figure out quickly she's not that old... and you might actually take the time to get to know the great kid that she is. People in NE Ohio have serious issues always going after her. It's ridiculous. It's all false hopes by local coaches that she won't be there next year to tear them up. All those rumors do is fuel her fire. Keep 'em coming... she has big plans for her senior year that she WILL be playing.

I've sat and just let people say nonsense hoping that it'd just go away. I've listened at games when ADULT GROWN men call her nasty names and make ridiculous comments about her age. Funny how people don't have an issue with other kids who light up the scoreboard every game. Maybe people should take a look in the mirror at their biases that lead to the need to speak poorly of a kid they clearly don't know.
Old 04-09-18, 02:36 PM
Varsity

Woooooo, I was just asking a question!!!
Go back & read the post...key word "if".
Know NOTHING about the girl other then she's obviously a phenomenal basketball player.
Old 04-10-18, 01:05 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
For clarification....

Age limitation

http://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/About...SAA/Bylaws.pdf

Rule 4-2-1

Once you turn 20: you are done!
There are exceptions for students that fall under...

If the student is a “child with a disability” as that term is defined within the
Ohio Operating Standards for the Education of Children with Disabilities and Part B of the Federal
IDEIA requirements and the student’s specific disability was diagnosed contemporaneous
with the events which caused the student to be unable to meet the requirements of this bylaw;

Also there is a special provisions for a student held back in the 3rd grade and below.

And 'Red-Shirting' is mentioned as a NO-NO.

:>----

EGA
Old 04-10-18, 04:57 PM
All American

Wadz06 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGal View Post
For the love of God... seriously people, STOP with this nonsense about her being that old. That rumor is so ridiculous and so overspread it's crazy. She's a year old for her grade. TALK TO THE GIRL... you'll figure out quickly she's not that old... and you might actually take the time to get to know the great kid that she is. People in NE Ohio have serious issues always going after her. It's ridiculous. It's all false hopes by local coaches that she won't be there next year to tear them up. All those rumors do is fuel her fire. Keep 'em coming... she has big plans for her senior year that she WILL be playing.

I've sat and just let people say nonsense hoping that it'd just go away. I've listened at games when ADULT GROWN men call her nasty names and make ridiculous comments about her age. Funny how people don't have an issue with other kids who light up the scoreboard every game. Maybe people should take a look in the mirror at their biases that lead to the need to speak poorly of a kid they clearly don't know.

HOMER

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-10-18, 11:20 PM
All Region

JM92 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadz06 View Post
HOMER

She's been talented her whole life long..so take off a year, would not matter much. Next year she will shatter the scoring record for Stark County. Likely to never happen again. I love all FED schools and wish them the best but you cannot deny Bell's talents. I just hope she puts her studies first and foremost in college, because BB isn't always a given after that.
Old 04-11-18, 07:42 AM
All Yappi

Homer is the best you've got Wadz? I've sat ALL YEAR LONG and heard people talking poorly about the kid... I've heard adults who have clear agendas and morality issues trash the kid and some have even passed along false information to college coaches. Thankfully those coaches are smart enough to check with people who actually know what they're talking about.

We've all sat and just let it go for too long. Someone should defend the girl from this ridiculousness.
Old 04-11-18, 07:44 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUE BLUE DAD View Post
Woooooo, I was just asking a question!!!
Go back & read the post...key word "if".
Know NOTHING about the girl other then she's obviously a phenomenal basketball player.
Not directed at you True Blue, I apologize... just tired of hearing the same old stuff
Old 04-11-18, 10:16 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Not directed at you True Blue, I apologize... just tired of hearing the same old stuff
No worries MC.
Old 04-12-18, 11:57 AM
Freshman

BBall Fax is on a distinguished road
Forums to ask questions

Quote:
Homer is the best you've got Wadz? I've sat ALL YEAR LONG and heard people talking poorly about the kid... I've heard adults who have clear agendas and morality issues trash the kid and some have even passed along false information to college coaches. Thankfully those coaches are smart enough to check with people who actually know what they're talking about.

We've all sat and just let it go for too long. Someone should defend the girl from this ridiculousness.
First, Bell is 18 years old going on 19, and will be eligible. She is old for a junior, but not the first. Nothing to get defensive about, it is what it is. I have never heard anyone say it is not an advantage because it is, but so what. To say it is an advantage is true. So I acknowledge it and move on.

I read a lot, and I can say I have never read a negative word written about Bell. In the conversations I have been part of where Bell came up, I have not heard a negative word spoken. I have heard people say she is old for a junior but that is a fact, not a negative. Some people have said it is positive for her because she has been able to develop physically in that time.

Some people have intimated people are saying negative things about her, I am happy to say I have not heard any. State the facts, let them stand. Get used to people using forums to discuss players, help with clarifying inaccuracies, we all appreciate that. These are great forums to questions answered.

She is one of many great girl basketball players to come out of Ohio. Ohio is blessed to have so many exceptional athletes to cherish.
Old 04-12-18, 04:00 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
old for a junior
old for a junior
old for a junior
old for a junior

yep, world is still spinning. "morality issues?" what's up with that.

walking in...and out of the middle of a conversation.

Good job Ms. Basketball! Next year could be historic in the state.
Old 04-13-18, 09:59 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBall Fax View Post
First, Bell is 18 years old going on 19, and will be eligible. She is old for a junior, but not the first. Nothing to get defensive about, it is what it is. I have never heard anyone say it is not an advantage because it is, but so what. To say it is an advantage is true. So I acknowledge it and move on.

I read a lot, and I can say I have never read a negative word written about Bell. In the conversations I have been part of where Bell came up, I have not heard a negative word spoken. I have heard people say she is old for a junior but that is a fact, not a negative. Some people have said it is positive for her because she has been able to develop physically in that time.

Some people have intimated people are saying negative things about her, I am happy to say I have not heard any. State the facts, let them stand. Get used to people using forums to discuss players, help with clarifying inaccuracies, we all appreciate that. These are great forums to questions answered.

She is one of many great girl basketball players to come out of Ohio. Ohio is blessed to have so many exceptional athletes to cherish.
She is a year old for her grade... and she's not "going on" anything. Be happy you haven't heard the negative because it's said all the time. Grown adults and kids alike. I can deal with kids being stupid and saying stuff. Adults saying things is just petty jealousy. As I said before, people have started false rumors about her that have gotten to college coaches. THAT is unacceptable in any form for any kid. This isn't just about one question here but someone asking about the false rumors about her age opened an opportunity to publicly squash them. The rumors aren't that she's a year old for her grade. Yes that's true but she's hardly the only kid to be a year old for a grade. The rumors are that she is ALREADY 19 or 20 and that's ludicrous and as I said before is just wishful thinking on the parts of fans from other programs who are hoping she won't be around next year. Keep hoping that.
Old 04-13-18, 10:44 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough

what people say doesn't change an age. If a kid isn't too old, nothing anyone says, is going to keep them off an OHSAA team. I don't get the upset. Other things that can be said, sure. Age isn't worth the posts or the response.

Seems the upset, when this was brought up two years ago, had more to do with place in history. If someone feels a three time winner is "less" because they were really "college age," that's their perogative.
Old 04-16-18, 09:35 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest please just accept the fact that you really don't understand what has been said and move on.
Old 04-16-18, 06:04 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
eastisbest please just accept the fact that you really don't understand what has been said and move on.
Now that I've been invited to leave, I think I'll stay.

Perhaps you will see the wisdom of your advice and YOU will "move on." A three day old post and now you get the panties in a bunch?

You're getting pizzed because someone makes a big deal about a POSSIBLE year or two age. SO WHAT? You could be extolling the kids virtues or just "moving on" and instead you're wasting key strokes defending the kid's age.

old for a junior
old for a junior
old for a junior

You getting heart palpitations yet?
Old 04-16-18, 09:53 PM
All American

Didn’t Stuebanville request an exception for one of their kids a few years ago?

Old 04-17-18, 11:24 AM
All Yappi

Eastisbest, this is so typical of you... you always have to have the last word.. you kept the other thread going to and then blamed it on the other person. Notice a pattern? I didn't ask you to leave, I asked you to recognize that you don't have a clue what you're talking about in this case. That's obviously too much to ask. Again, since reading comprehension is clearly not a strength, I never said the problem was people knowing she is a year old for her grade. That's not what was being said. Try reading what's said instead of assuming you know what's going on. I know you'll respond and try to insult me... it is what it is. You'll just keep proving my point.

Wadz, that's irrelevant because SHE WILL NOT BE TOO OLD TO PLAY. Period. End of story. The rumors you and others have heard are ridiculously petty jealousy on the part of local coaches and parents who really need to find a hobby.
Old 04-17-18, 01:09 PM
All American

Quote:
Eastisbest, this is so typical of you... you always have to have the last word.. you kept the other thread going to and then blamed it on the other person. Notice a pattern? I didn't ask you to leave, I asked you to recognize that you don't have a clue what you're talking about in this case. That's obviously too much to ask. Again, since reading comprehension is clearly not a strength, I never said the problem was people knowing she is a year old for her grade. That's not what was being said. Try reading what's said instead of assuming you know what's going on. I know you'll respond and try to insult me... it is what it is. You'll just keep proving my point.

Wadz, that's irrelevant because SHE WILL NOT BE TOO OLD TO PLAY. Period. End of story. The rumors you and others have heard are ridiculously petty jealousy on the part of local coaches and parents who really need to find a hobby.

I haven’t commented on her or her age at all. I called you a “Homer” and this thread was the first I had heard of her age. I didn’t hear one Wadsworth person in the stands say “We just beat a 18 or 19 year old”

The waiver question was just a question

Old 04-17-18, 02:41 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
To be fair, the girls own mother was the one who mentioned the player was 17 in an interview during the season last year. If she was 17 last year during the season then she would be at least 19 during her senior season. Depending on when her birthday falls, being 20 during the season is a possibility so that is where the speculation comes from. It's never cool to bad mouth kids on here or in the stands, but discussing her age as given by her own mother in an article just doesn't seem to be out of bounds. I never had an issue with the player or even really her age last year- I just thought the whole "wow she's only a sophomore and got Ms. Basketball" seemed disingenuous considering she was significantly older than the typical range of kids her grade. I'm sure you will find fault in my words- but I they are not mean spirited in any way so I don't really care.
Old 04-18-18, 06:15 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
To be fair, the girls own mother was the one who mentioned the player was 17 in an interview during the season last year. If she was 17 last year during the season then she would be at least 19 during her senior season. Depending on when her birthday falls, being 20 during the season is a possibility so that is where the speculation comes from. It's never cool to bad mouth kids on here or in the stands, but discussing her age as given by her own mother in an article just doesn't seem to be out of bounds. I never had an issue with the player or even really her age last year- I just thought the whole "wow she's only a sophomore and got Ms. Basketball" seemed disingenuous considering she was significantly older than the typical range of kids her grade. I'm sure you will find fault in my words- but I they are not mean spirited in any way so I don't really care.

Sums it up fairly I think. Kid has great potential for the next two levels and as far as I can see, sensitivity to age discussion seems a bit over the top. 18, 19, 20, she'll see the benefit of her hard work.
Old 04-18-18, 09:29 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
No not mean spirited but they do involve a number of assumptions and generalizations that are unfair. Speaking of speculation that leads to negative talk about a kid like it's ok is the only real problem I'd have with what you said.

Again for those who keep missing it, the people saying stuff this year were saying she was 19 already. HUGE difference. One last time and I'm out.. she is a year old for her grade. Period. A LOT of kids are a year old for their grade for a multitude of reasons. It's not uncommon and the insistence of some to try and use that to create drama and to undermine her accomplishments is ridiculous. Athletes have been a year old for their class plenty of times before and won awards and no one ever raises a fuss. Maybe people should take a look inward to ask themselves why they need to try and devalue or take away from the accomplishments of a high school kid. It happens way too much to way too many kids this case included.
Old 04-18-18, 09:36 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I haven’t commented on her or her age at all. I called you a “Homer” and this thread was the first I had heard of her age. I didn’t hear one Wadsworth person in the stands say “We just beat a 18 or 19 year old”

The waiver question was just a question

Yes because lame insults like Homer are all that you have. Those of us who have to sit and listen to kids and adults alike saying ridiculous stuff to and about her have had enough. I spoke up because I'm done hearing the lies being spread about her age. Just because you didn't hear it said doesn't mean it didn't happen. I will say at least in my personal experience that Wadsworth folks have been kind enough to ask if what was being said was true instead of just assuming that it is.
Old 04-18-18, 02:03 PM
All District

bmcphers7 is on a distinguished road
I don't get why a lot of people are so defensive of this girl. I got attacked on twitter for saying "If you live in Northeast Ohio, get out and see Taylor M. (Massillon - Jackson), Nazi Hilmon (Gilmore Academy), V. Meyers (Solon) before they leave for Maryland, Michigan, Florida St.". Everyone from Canton area and a lot of students, came at me for not mentioning Bell. But yet all I was meaning was Srs in our area lol. Who cares about her age? A lot of students get held back or graduate HS when their 18 or even when they turned 19. When I graduated HS back in 06, I know a lot of students back then who got held back for sports or whatever reason and graduated when they turned 19. It's no big deal or anything you should attack a kid over or get so defensive over.. Everyone is gonna has haters, it's called Jealousy..
Old 04-18-18, 07:47 PM
All American

Quote:
Yes because lame insults like Homer are all that you have. Those of us who have to sit and listen to kids and adults alike saying ridiculous stuff to and about her have had enough. I spoke up because I'm done hearing the lies being spread about her age. Just because you didn't hear it said doesn't mean it didn't happen. I will say at least in my personal experience that Wadsworth folks have been kind enough to ask if what was being said was true instead of just assuming that it is.

Are you not a McKinley supporter? If not then being called a “Homer” would be an insult.

Old 04-19-18, 06:56 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcphers7 View Post
I don't get why a lot of people are so defensive of this girl. I got attacked on twitter for saying "If you live in Northeast Ohio, get out and see Taylor M. (Massillon - Jackson), Nazi Hilmon (Gilmore Academy), V. Meyers (Solon) before they leave for Maryland, Michigan, Florida St.". Everyone from Canton area and a lot of students, came at me for not mentioning Bell. But yet all I was meaning was Srs in our area lol. Who cares about her age? A lot of students get held back or graduate HS when their 18 or even when they turned 19. When I graduated HS back in 06, I know a lot of students back then who got held back for sports or whatever reason and graduated when they turned 19. It's no big deal or anything you should attack a kid over or get so defensive over.. Everyone is gonna has haters, it's called Jealousy..
"Everyone"? Really? Come on now.. .and those people are every bit as out of line as the ones I mentioned. As I said, it's not right to say negative stuff especially not false negative stuff about any kid.
Old 04-19-18, 06:57 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Are you not a McKinley supporter? If not then being called a “Homer” would be an insult.

Homer is insulting regardless because your insinuation is that my opinion is based only on my connection to the team. I think I'm pretty fair in my takes on things even with working closely with the Pups.
Old 04-20-18, 11:56 AM
All District

bmcphers7 is on a distinguished road
Ok some errors omg in my comment lol. You shouldn't attack a kid, and everyone is gonna have haters.. All Im asking is why is everyone so defensive of her? I mean what I said on Twitter wasn't anything bad or anything negative towards her, but you would think it was. Just bc I didn't mention her name among those girls? If they would of fully read the tweet it was about some of the top Srs. I finally saw Bell play at a AAU tournament, not gonna lie she's one of the best/if not the best player I've seen play in person. But so Is Hilmon, Meyers and Taylor M. but that's nothing against Bell. If people get a little upset what people on here, twitter, facebook, or at HS games say about her or to her. Do you think it'll get better in college? Heck no those fans/students are gonna be way worse

Quote:
"Everyone"? Really? Come on now.. .and those people are every bit as out of line as the ones I mentioned. As I said, it's not right to say negative stuff especially not false negative stuff about any kid.
Old 05-03-18, 08:23 PM
All American

Homer