Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-21-15, 02:23 PM
Freshman

MetroNEO is on a distinguished road
Akron City Series Consolidation?

It wasn't a report about sports but on WNIR they said that the new school building funds had dried up and Akron wasn't likely going to be rebuilding North, Kenmore, or Garfield and that one of those schools was likely to close.

Anyone close to the situation on here with insider info?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-15, 07:50 AM
All American

Orangeman89
No inside info but the best guess is that they combine Kenmore and Garfield. North will stay open but not likely to offer most sports.
Old 12-22-15, 08:01 AM
All American

hoodrat is on a distinguished road
I thought they wanted to combine Garfield and Roswell Kent MS into one building and possibly do the same with Kenmore and it's MS. Although closing at least one high school seems to make sense I don't see it happening.
Old 12-22-15, 09:40 AM
All American

westa-k-ron1 is on a distinguished road
Innes MS has already been rebuilt in the Kenmore cluster.
Old 12-22-15, 10:02 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
How'd closing East High School work out?
Old 12-22-15, 11:41 AM
All Ohio

Cruiseman is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
How'd closing East High School work out?
Actually East hasn't been that bad. The fb program is growing and getting better. The basketball program has had to start from scratch since Wojcik ran it into the ground.

That being said, I still believe that East should have closed. It would have made things easier for all concerned.

And....if you think there was noise when they first proposed closing East, just imagine the stink when they decide to merge Kenmore/Garfield.
Old 12-22-15, 12:01 PM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiseman View Post
Actually East hasn't been that bad. The fb program is growing and getting better. The basketball program has had to start from scratch since Wojcik ran it into the ground.

That being said, I still believe that East should have closed. It would have made things easier for all concerned.

And....if you think there was noise when they first proposed closing East, just imagine the stink when they decide to merge Kenmore/Garfield.
Firestone Park might put up a fight but I don't think the people of Kenmore give a rat's rear end . As it stands, a ton of kids from both those clusters go to Coventry right now. Send them all there and APS won't need to put any money in to a rufurb!
Old 12-22-15, 01:20 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Enrollment Numbers:
Buchtel- 839
East- 738
Ellet- 1073
Firestone- 1169
Garfield- 747
Kenmore- 604
North- 603
Old 12-22-15, 01:26 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Enrollment Numbers:
Buchtel- 839
East- 738
Ellet- 1073
Firestone- 1169
Garfield- 747
Kenmore- 604
North- 603
Are those OHSAA enrollment numbers or the actual enrollments from the ODE?

In the past, North had students that wouldn't have counted against their OHSAA enrollment (I believe the OHSAA called them multiple disability). If North is still a magnet school for these students, their enrollment could be significantly higher than OHSAA numbers.
Old 12-22-15, 01:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Are those OHSAA enrollment numbers or the actual enrollments from the ODE?

In the past, North had students that wouldn't have counted against their OHSAA enrollment (I believe the OHSAA called them multiple disability). If North is still a magnet school for these students, their enrollment could be significantly higher than OHSAA numbers.
Those are from ODE.
Old 12-24-15, 10:00 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiseman View Post

Exactly Cruiseman, that was the point of my post. They had a plan to close East but the Board didn't have the stones to stand up to the public pressure. That's why I am skeptical now.

Given the district's abominable academic record in recent years, the focus needs to be on providing a quality education.
Old 12-24-15, 11:20 AM
All American

There's actually nothing wrong with the quality of education a student can earn in the APS. There are plenty of really smart kids in APS, the problem is that you can't teach someone that doesn't want to learn.
Old 12-24-15, 11:49 AM
All American

haydenfrye is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodrat View Post
There's actually nothing wrong with the quality of education a student can earn in the APS. There are plenty of really smart kids in APS, the problem is that you can't teach someone that doesn't want to learn.
Doesn't the State Grade card say different?
Old 12-24-15, 03:01 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydenfrye View Post
Doesn't the State Grade card say different?
Again...you can't teach kids that don't want to learn. The state grade card is based on performance by ALL students....MOST of which have no desire to do anything except have mo money, bitches and jewray.....ain't no skool gonna teech dat. If the quality of education is so bad how is it that some kids are brilliant shining stars in crackron? The opportunity is there....the good ones seize it.
Old 12-24-15, 04:27 PM
All American

haydenfrye is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Again...you can't teach kids that don't want to learn. The state grade card is based on performance by ALL students....MOST of which have no desire to do anything except have mo money, bitches and jewray.....ain't no skool gonna teech dat. If the quality of education is so bad how is it that some kids are brilliant shining stars in crackron? The opportunity is there....the good ones seize it.
Not all kids are geniuses at Hudson either so what's your point
Old 12-24-15, 05:35 PM
All Ohio

Buckeye80
Quote:
Originally Posted by haydenfrye View Post
Not all kids are geniuses at Hudson either so what's your point
Has nothing to do with whether a kid is/isn't a "genius".
It has to do with whether the kid, or perhaps more importantly their parents, want a good education.
I would hope that everyone would agree that the percentage of kids who come from a stable, supportive, education-centered environment is much higher in a district like Hudson than it is in the APS. The kids who come from these backrounds generally speaking do well academically.
The kids in the APS who do come from these kind of backrounds have the same opportunity to achieve in their respective schools (quality teaching, up-to-date resources and technology, etc.) as do their Hudson counterparts.
Unfortunately, they are outnumbered by kids who don't come from stable backrounds that generally speaking don't value education as much. In many cases they don't know where their next meal is coming from or how they are going to pay next month's electric bill. This is a main reason why their state report card results aren't as high as white-collar suburban districts.

Last edited by Buckeye80; 12-24-15 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-24-15, 09:13 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye80 View Post
Has nothing to do with whether a kid is/isn't a "genius".
It has to do with whether the kid, or perhaps more importantly their parents, want a good education.
I would hope that everyone would agree that the percentage of kids who come from a stable, supportive, education-centered environment is much higher in a district like Hudson than it is in the APS. The kids who come from these backrounds generally speaking do well academically.
The kids in the APS who do come from these kind of backrounds have the same opportunity to achieve in their respective schools (quality teaching, up-to-date resources and technology, etc.) as do their Hudson counterparts.
Unfortunately, they are outnumbered by kids who don't come from stable backrounds that generally speaking don't value education as much. In many cases they don't know where their next meal is coming from or how they are going to pay next month's electric bill. This is a main reason why their state report card results aren't as high as white-collar suburban districts.
Bingo. I wish I could have said this as well as you, but unfortunately I'm too much of a cynic. Well said Buckeye. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-25-15, 08:41 AM
All Yappi

frecriss is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman89 View Post
Firestone Park might put up a fight but I don't think the people of Kenmore give a rat's rear end . As it stands, a ton of kids from both those clusters go to Coventry right now. Send them all there and APS won't need to put any money in to a rufurb!
Coventry is being taken over by the state. Could get ugly over there
Old 12-25-15, 10:58 PM
All American

Quest4Gold
I know North's enrollment is the 3rd highest in the city right now. I heard from one source that will be Renovating Innes and moving Kenmore down there as 7-12 school, Rebuilding Garfield, and North will be the pre-med building for the district. Sports wise I don't know, but they will have soccer for sure bc of the 50% enrollment of ESL kids.
Old 12-25-15, 11:02 PM
Moderated User

BigWorm can only hope to improve
Quote:
Spot on
Old 12-25-15, 11:04 PM
Moderated User

BigWorm can only hope to improve
Exclamation

So to tie everything together for this forums sake:

Nothing will change, the football teams will still suck
Old 12-26-15, 03:14 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
So to tie everything together for this forums sake:

Nothing will change, the football teams will still suck
Not sure I agree with that. Things go in cycles. Seems like right now, this is a low point for the Akron City Series but things are trending up. Ellet has been solid as of late and if Garfield or Buchtel can regain some of their success over the past 30 years, the league could have a couple very competitive teams. Not sure if there will ever be a point where the City Series has every team competitive at the same time competing for a playoff spot. Just not enough depth in the league for that to happen.
Old 12-29-15, 11:10 AM
All American

westa-k-ron1 is on a distinguished road
Consolidation will not ultimately make teams competitive. I am encouraged by the jr. high programs that are up and running or being started soon. This will help more than consolidating struggling programs.