Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-12-18, 06:49 AM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
In varsity games receivers are eligible by both position and number. #77 cannot report in as an eligible.

Correct numbers are not required in sub-varsity games. We ask coaches to have their players report to us, but that is not required by rule.
Old 08-12-18, 07:10 AM
All District

BigK72 is on a distinguished road
So I can’t have 77 line up as a jumbo TE or FB and be eligible to go out for a pass?
Old 08-12-18, 07:11 AM
All Region

bb9
He can line up there but is not eligible to catch a pass. Would need to change jerseys.
Old 08-12-18, 07:12 AM
All District

BigK72 is on a distinguished road
Thank you both!
Old 08-12-18, 10:08 AM
All World

AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Good stuff gentlemen. Short and to the point on answers.

Too many times we tend to muddy the waters by adding all the "what if's" (view any officiating board or group to see that) that get away from the original question asked.
Old 08-18-18, 09:22 AM
All Ohio

blue60 is on a distinguished road
Is tripping a running back legal, saw a defender out of position to make tackle throw his leg out at the running backs legs in an attempt to bring him down.
Old 08-18-18, 12:32 PM
All World

Seems odd, but yes. The player carrying the ball is the only person you can legally trip..
Old 08-22-18, 09:25 AM
Moderated User

3TimeLetterman is on a distinguished road
Any rules on the center sneak? I've been running it with my 3rd graders and it works every time. Got a hefty kid that's nimble on his feet, opposing team never expects it when he just takes off and runs. Been wondering why more high school teams don't run it. He actually leads the league in rushing, hardest part about running him is keeping the boy out of the pantry so he can stay under eligible running weight!
Old 08-22-18, 09:39 AM
All Region

Tom.OH is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3TimeLetterman View Post
Any rules on the center sneak? I've been running it with my 3rd graders and it works every time. Got a hefty kid that's nimble on his feet, opposing team never expects it when he just takes off and runs. Been wondering why more high school teams don't run it. He actually leads the league in rushing, hardest part about running him is keeping the boy out of the pantry so he can stay under eligible running weight!
High school teams don't use it because it's not legal...
Old 08-22-18, 11:53 AM
All World

Again, a friendly reminder for officials answering questions with rule citations....

Make sure you cite the correct rule or the reply will be deleted.

With regards to this play, it is (as Tom.OH indicated) illegal. (3rd graders should be learning the fundamentals of the game, not being taught via Madden or YouTube videos)

The snap must be a quick and continuous backward motion of the ball during which the ball immediately leaves the hand(s) of the snapper and touches a back or the ground before it touches an A lineman. (Rule 2-40)

There is no requirement that the ball be snapped to the QB.

Last edited by AllSports12; 08-22-18 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-22-18, 12:40 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3TimeLetterman View Post
Don't tell me how to coach my team Mr. AllSports12. We went 6-2 last year and scored off the center sneak every game. Fundamentals are overrated. I do what I need to do in order to lead my boys to championships. Belichick deflated footballs, I run the center sneak. Both got us rings.
I was going to delete the response, but decided to quote it before I deleted it, just to show what's wrong with youth sports.

It's all about a "ring" for a 3rd grade coach.
Old 08-22-18, 02:01 PM
Freshman

reggieDunlop is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
Again, a friendly reminder for officials answering questions with rule citations....

Make sure you cite the correct rule or the reply will be deleted.

With regards to this play, it is (as Tom.OH indicated) illegal. (3rd graders should be learning the fundamentals of the game, not being taught via Madden or YouTube videos)

The snap must be a quick and continuous backward motion of the ball during which the ball immediately leaves the hand(s) of the snapper and touches a back or the ground before it touches an A lineman. (Rule 2-40)

There is no requirement that the ball be snapped to the QB.
Also, rule 7-3-2a which says: "No player may hand the ball forward except during a scrimmage down before a change of possession, provided both players are in or behind the neutral zone and it is to: A lineman who has clearly faced his end line by moving both feet in a half-turn and is at least 1 yard behind his line when he receives the ball."
Old 08-22-18, 03:01 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggieDunlop View Post
Also, rule 7-3-2a which says: "No player may hand the ball forward except during a scrimmage down before a change of possession, provided both players are in or behind the neutral zone and it is to: A lineman who has clearly faced his end line by moving both feet in a half-turn and is at least 1 yard behind his line when he receives the ball."
7-3-2 refers to forward handing as the ball is legally snapped. It's a live ball foul.

On a "center sneak", the ball never leaves the hands of the snapper. (illegal snap) The ball touches the hands of the player under the snapper and he then carries out a fake while the snapper keeps the ball and scurries downfield undetected as the other 20 players are acting or reacting to the play.

An illegal snap is a dead ball foul.

Old 08-22-18, 03:28 PM
Freshman

reggieDunlop is on a distinguished road
Quote:
7-3-2 refers to forward handing as the ball is legally snapped. It's a live ball foul.

On a "center sneak", the ball never leaves the hands of the snapper. (illegal snap) The ball touches the hands of the player under the snapper and he then carries out a fake while the snapper keeps the ball and scurries downfield undetected as the other 20 players are acting or reacting to the play.

An illegal snap is a dead ball foul.

Got it, I wasn't exactly sure what was going on from the videos. I thought the ball was snapped and the QB handed it back to the center. I officiated for almost 20 years and never ran across a play like that.
Old 08-22-18, 04:03 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
I am watching a game and this just happened.

Team punted the ball, the receiving team tries a fair catch but the ball hits the receiver in the hands and rolls behind him. A member of the punting team touches the ball at the 4 in an attempt to gain possession but never does. The ball ends up in the end zone recovered by the punting team.

I would of thought that the receiving team would get the ball at the 20 and it be ruled a touch back, instead, the punting team is getting the ball at the 1 yard line.

play can be seen at the 1 hour 21 minute mark....

Old 08-22-18, 06:37 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
I am watching a game and this just happened.

Team punted the ball, the receiving team tries a fair catch but the ball hits the receiver in the hands and rolls behind him. A member of the punting team touches the ball at the 4 in an attempt to gain possession but never does. The ball ends up in the end zone recovered by the punting team.

I would of thought that the receiving team would get the ball at the 20 and it be ruled a touch back, instead, the punting team is getting the ball at the 1 yard line.

play can be seen at the 1 hour 21 minute mark....

Under NFHS rules this is a touchback.

Under NCAA rules, this is a touchdown. (one of the participating teams is from TX, which plays under NCAA rules.)

I have no idea why they placed the ball where they did, unless possession was ruled. I do know a couple of guys who worked different games in that event. I'll check with them to see if they can shed any light on the subject.
Old 08-22-18, 09:39 PM
All American

hsfan60 is on a distinguished road
Wow

Quote:
I was going to delete the response, but decided to quote it before I deleted it, just to show what's wrong with youth sports.

It's all about a "ring" for a 3rd grade coach.
Me, I and MY, what a jerk?
Old 08-25-18, 08:16 AM
All Ohio

Andy27 is on a distinguished road
What are the rules on using video for coaching during games?
Old 08-25-18, 08:45 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy27 View Post
What are the rules on using video for coaching during games?
The use is legal by coaches and non-players.

The use is illegal for communication with a player inside the 9yd marks (the numbers).
Old 08-25-18, 09:26 AM
All District

zebrastripes is on a distinguished road
Had a great play for discussion in my game last night that I wanted to bring up here to see what some of the responses are...

Team K has the ball, 4th and 8 from Team Rís 10-yard line and attempts a field goal which is successful. There is a foul on the play, a personal foul for R hurdling over the line. What option do you think the coach of Team K went with?

Hint: NFHS rules have very few fouls that give automatic first downs.
Old 08-25-18, 10:51 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrastripes View Post
Had a great play for discussion in my game last night that I wanted to bring up here to see what some of the responses are...

Team K has the ball, 4th and 8 from Team Rís 10-yard line and attempts a field goal which is successful. There is a foul on the play, a personal foul for R hurdling over the line. What option do you think the coach of Team K went with?

Hint: NFHS rules have very few fouls that give automatic first downs.
The choices for K are...

- Accept the results of the play. 3 points for the successful Field Goal and enforce the penalty at the succeeding spot. Kickoff from the opponent's 45yd line.

- Decline the penalty. 3 points for the successful Field Goal. KO from the 40

- Accept the penalty, replay the down 4th and 3 from the opponent's 5yd line. (0 points)
Old 08-25-18, 01:22 PM
All District

king kong is on a distinguished road
Well, I got to impart my vast knowledge at my sons jv game today thanks to this thread. My son is center, 5’9”, 145 freshman. Defense ran an odd front with a nose guard, 6’2”, 215 and a junior. On a shotgun snap on second series my kid snaps and immediately lunges forward, no steps and cut blocks. He does it rest of series a few more times. 3rd series, he does it once and stops. He struggled rest of game blocking. After game I am walking by fence as our team heads to locker room, I asked my son why he stopped the cut block. He said one official told him o, it was the guy on other teams sideline, I asked him if he gave a reason, he said no. I walk on around and the officials are standing outside fieldhouse, I know everyone one of them and say hello and ask the one why he told the center to stop cutting. He said, because it’s illegal to cut in shotgun formation! I said, who told you, he said the other teams coaches reminded him of the rule. I said, no, it’s not a rule, you can cut if you meet the following criteria and said, ball in the tackle box, first movement down. They laughed and said, no it’s just a rule. I pulled out my phone, I had already looked up the thread about the alter game and showed them the case book ruling. They argued a little bit, and I said, it’s easiest just to say the ball is out of the tackle box! Lol

I know there are other criteria I just can’t remember them!
Old 08-25-18, 02:03 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by king kong View Post
Well, I got to impart my vast knowledge at my sons jv game today thanks to this thread. My son is center, 5’9”, 145 freshman. Defense ran an odd front with a nose guard, 6’2”, 215 and a junior. On a shotgun snap on second series my kid snaps and immediately lunges forward, no steps and cut blocks. He does it rest of series a few more times. 3rd series, he does it once and stops. He struggled rest of game blocking. After game I am walking by fence as our team heads to locker room, I asked my son why he stopped the cut block. He said one official told him o, it was the guy on other teams sideline, I asked him if he gave a reason, he said no. I walk on around and the officials are standing outside fieldhouse, I know everyone one of them and say hello and ask the one why he told the center to stop cutting. He said, because it’s illegal to cut in shotgun formation! I said, who told you, he said the other teams coaches reminded him of the rule. I said, no, it’s not a rule, you can cut if you meet the following criteria and said, ball in the tackle box, first movement down. They laughed and said, no it’s just a rule. I pulled out my phone, I had already looked up the thread about the alter game and showed them the case book ruling. They argued a little bit, and I said, it’s easiest just to say the ball is out of the tackle box! Lol

I know there are other criteria I just can’t remember them!
The most important thing to remember is while in the shotgun formation, the block must be immediate.

Last edited by AllSports12; 08-25-18 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-25-18, 02:21 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsfan60 View Post
Me, I and MY, what a jerk?
Yeah, but he and the other 8 year olds all have rings, just like Belichick.
Old 08-25-18, 02:47 PM
All American

hsfan60 is on a distinguished road
LIke Belichick???

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs1971 View Post
Yeah, but he and the other 8 year olds all have rings, just like Belichick.
THat's a good one
Old 08-25-18, 03:11 PM
All District

king kong is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The most important thing to remember is while in the shotgun formation, the block must be immediate.
It was immediate. He took no steps, as soon as his hand motion started he was diving forward. I worked with him on it, being undersized I told him to use it every once in a while to keep the defender on his heels. Being that the center has the ball, it would probably be the best O line position to cut! ��
Old 08-28-18, 06:03 PM
All Yappi

vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
2 second rule?

Fremont Ross @ Holland Springfield game, Ross down by 1 with 6 seconds left. Throws a pass complete to the 1 yard line for a first down with 1.1 seconds left. They line up and immediately down the ball. No time went off the clock. Springfield's coach went on to the field to argue. A huge discussion took place that lasted over 5 minutes. Game was then called over. Springfield coaches claimed that there must be more than 2 seconds in order to down the ball... is there a 2 second rule or is this a judgement call.

Also, before this happened with Springfield having the ball trying to run the clock out they took back to back motion penalties. Both times, the clock started at the whistle. I thought that the official had the option of stopping the clock during situations like this?

thanks! and yes, I watch a ton of HS games each week.... every time I think I've seen it all ....
Old 08-28-18, 08:33 PM
Junior Varsity

RB22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
2 second rule?

Fremont Ross @ Holland Springfield game, Ross down by 1 with 6 seconds left. Throws a pass complete to the 1 yard line for a first down with 1.1 seconds left. They line up and immediately down the ball. No time went off the clock. Springfield's coach went on to the field to argue. A huge discussion took place that lasted over 5 minutes. Game was then called over. Springfield coaches claimed that there must be more than 2 seconds in order to down the ball... is there a 2 second rule or is this a judgement call.

Also, before this happened with Springfield having the ball trying to run the clock out they took back to back motion penalties. Both times, the clock started at the whistle. I thought that the official had the option of stopping the clock during situations like this?

thanks! and yes, I watch a ton of HS games each week.... every time I think I've seen it all ....

There is no 2 second rule. I have seen the play and there are some unknowns. Was the previous play ruled out of bounds. When the R blows the ready he does not wind the clock. As an official if you can not definitively say what the status of the clock should be then leave it as is. Your second question: Under 2 minutes to play in the 2/4 quarters the offended team has the option of starting the clock on the snap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-29-18, 07:00 AM
All World

Quote:
2 second rule?

We don't know what the actual discussion between the crew or between the crew and the coaches was. There was a published article that quoted a coach citing a 2 second run off rule....... Absent being in either of those huddles, we can only speculate what was said...

Now, having said that.... Let's clear the air on all this (some of this already has been correctly said)

Spiking The Ball

- There is no NFHS rule that prescribes a 2 second run off for a spiked ball after a hand-to-hand snap.

- There is no NCAA rule that prescribes a 2 second run off for a spiked ball after a hand-to-hand snap.

- There is an NCAA rule (3-2-5) that states if the game clock is stopped and will start on the Referee's signal with 3 or more seconds on the clock, "the offense may reasonably expect to throw the ball directly to the ground (Rule 7-3-2-f ) and have enough time for another play. With two seconds or one second on the game clock there is enough time for only one play."

- There is an NFHS rule that allows for the Referee to add or remove time from the clock due to an obvious timing error.

Penalties and Their Impact on Clock Status

- Under NFHS rules, in the final 2 minutes of either half, the offended team has the option of having the clock start at the Referee's ready-for-play signal or at the snap.

- The Referee has (and always has had) the option to start the clock on the ready-for-play signal or at the snap if either team is trying to illegally conserve or consume time.

Again, with regards to the play in question, we don't actually know what the conversations were and why the officials ruled as they did. If they invoked a "2 second run off" solution, they were wrong....

If they decided that at 1.1 remaining they had knowledge that it took longer than that time to complete the play, then they applied the rule correctly.

Time to move on.......
Old 08-31-18, 11:23 PM
All Ohio

ICBM is on a distinguished road
2nd and goal. Run play into the line. Defender strips the ball just as the whistle blows. At least that was the call. Play is over. Defender throws the ball down in frustration. I’m assuming Dead ball foul. Unsportsmanlike. Does the down count?
They marked off half the distance and replayed the down but the play was already over. Should the down have counted and made it third down? It took five plays to score.