Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-03-16, 04:54 PM
All Yappi

zeeman is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Warrior Watcher;6370871]
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry legend View Post
You just named the 2 largest sch distrects in the city,so yes what you say about money would look good,but what about the other public schools which are the majority that dont have the finances like FF and Mason? No publics do not have the advantage in dollars privates do.
Most privates have better weight rooms.2 gyms, indoor practice facilities, 2 different helmets 4 sets of uniforms.Ect..

And who did those schools loose to most of the time in the playoffs? A private school! Or in the case of FF this past year get cheated by to loose to. Lol..
What private schools have indoor practice facilities? You're not even trying to be factual. Let's just use the GMC which is supposedly the rival of the GCL ▀outh. Princton is getting a brand new HS, Hamilton just got a state of the art athletic center, Mason and FF now have the best facilities in SW Ohio, the GCL south has Elders pit which is awesome but the school is very old. Moeller plays at a small puclic schools field, Lasalle's facilities are OK. Only St X can compare. You can try to sugar coat it any way you want, but the large public schools in the state have monetary advantages over the large private schools. The smaller parochials are barely surviving financially and have average to poor athletic facilities or none at all.
Old 01-03-16, 04:57 PM
All American

haydenfrye is an unknown quantity at this point
[QUOTE=zeeman;6370934]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior Watcher View Post

What private schools have indoor practice facilities? You're not even trying to be factual. Let's just use the GMC which is supposedly the rival of the GCL ▀outh. Princton is getting a brand new HS, Hamilton just got a state of the art athletic center, Mason and FF now have the best facilities in SW Ohio, the GCL south has Elders pit which is awesome but the school is very old. Moeller plays at a small puclic schools field, Lasalle's facilities are OK. Only St X can compare. You can try to sugar coat it any way you want, but the large public schools in the state have monetary advantages over the large private schools. The smaller parochials are barely surviving financially and have average to poor athletic facilities or none at all.
Old 01-03-16, 05:06 PM
All Yappi

Termite2 will become famous soon enough
Is there a problem with the quote function?
Old 01-03-16, 05:10 PM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite2 View Post
Is there a problem with the quote function?
If one person messes it up it can start a chain reaction.
Old 01-03-16, 05:11 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydenfrye View Post
One problem with your theory there is they have a rule that kids from out of state cannot play on an OHSAA team unless they went to the schools feeder program. Being as you keep bringing up Cincinnati I thaught you might already know about that rule being as it was created because of St X
Actually created because of Moeller and schools in the Toledo area. While X had a large number of out of state athletes, they have always had a large percentage of out of state students since before they had a school system in Ohio. The few that went to Moeller and the Toledo schools got people upset.
Old 01-03-16, 05:12 PM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I dont know how it is where you are at but where im at open enrollment PS, a kid does not pay tuition. They pay student fees which is under $200 in the majority of cases.
Private schools cost from $2,000 - $7500.
And somebody has the nerve to say that Public schools have the dollars over Privates..lmao..hahaha
You just said it private schools can get kids from out of state to come to there school,where as publics can not! Looks like an advantage to me. Ijs
I don't know the inside story on all of the funding but I think the open enrollment school gets state dollars that the private school does not receive.

What percentage of playoff games are held at public venues vs private? I think almost 100% after round 1. Why? They have the better facilities due to their $ advantage. If private schools could raise money from tax levies they would have facilities rivaling the publics.
Old 01-03-16, 05:26 PM
Junior Varsity

larry legend is on a distinguished road
I was quoted as saying something above that I didn't say. Someone else did. Not a big deal but thought I would point it out. Just don't want to be credited with anything I might not agree with.
Old 01-03-16, 05:28 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry legend View Post
I was quoted as saying something above that I didn't say. Someone else did. Not a big deal but thought I would point it out. Just don't want to be credited with anything I might not agree with.
Quote:
You just named the 2 largest sch distrects in the city,so yes what you say about money would look good,but what about the other public schools which are the majority that dont have the finances like FF and Mason? No publics do not have the advantage in dollars privates do.
Most privates have better weight rooms.2 gyms, indoor practice facilities, 2 different helmets 4 sets of uniforms.Ect..

And who did those schools loose to most of the time in the playoffs? A private school! Or in the case of FF this past year get cheated by to loose to. Lol..
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeman View Post

The correct posters
Old 01-03-16, 05:41 PM
All Ohio

Big Ragu is on a distinguished road
Remember this one pesky fact: most boys attend private school for reasons other than sports. Discipline, accountability, high standards. The family is willing to make the financial sacrifice to give their son/brother this opportunity. The fact that the team is good is nothing more than a spill-over from the accountability/high standards/discipline thing. I have seen excellent athletes leave private schools due to the fact that they can't cut it. Some were asked to leave. To think these kids were on some sort of "scholarship" is laughable. Running a private school is an expensive venture. The cost to educate one kid is substantial. The price of tuition does not cover this expense. So, any money awarded is through need based assistance. Sure, there are a few that receive money from donor scholarships, but those are few (very few) and far between.
The idea that facilities are better at privates is laughable. If that were the case then Moeller would have been a perennial doormat for the better part of the last four decades. Heck, they just recently renovated to give the boys a practice field. Varsity plays at Lockland. Back in the day, the weight room was hot and tiny with a ceiling too low to get in a correct workout. So, the question begs, why leave the posh environment of Lakota or Mason and pay $10k ? Oh, yes. It comes back to that discipline/accountability/high standards thing.
Why do many privates excel? A very large number of families that care, and demand results. Families willing to make the sacrifice. This includes requirements of volunteering, fund raising, and community service. Yep, when the standards are raised the quality of the end product is better. It is a time tested formula. One that most public schools don't care to follow.
Old 01-03-16, 05:44 PM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ragu View Post
Remember this one pesky fact: most boys attend private school for reasons other than sports. Discipline, accountability, high standards. The family is willing to make the financial sacrifice to give their son/brother this opportunity. The fact that the team is good is nothing more than a spill-over from the accountability/high standards/discipline thing. I have seen excellent athletes leave private schools due to the fact that they can't cut it. Some were asked to leave. To think these kids were on some sort of "scholarship" is laughable. Running a private school is an expensive venture. The cost to educate one kid is substantial. The price of tuition does not cover this expense. So, any money awarded is through need based assistance. Sure, there are a few that receive money from donor scholarships, but those are few (very few) and far between.
The idea that facilities are better at privates is laughable. If that were the case then Moeller would have been a perennial doormat for the better part of the last four decades. Heck, they just recently renovated to give the boys a practice field. Varsity plays at Lockland. Back in the day, the weight room was hot and tiny with a ceiling too low to get in a correct workout. So, the question begs, why leave the posh environment of Lakota or Mason and pay $10k ? Oh, yes. It comes back to that discipline/accountability/high standards thing.
Why do many privates excel? A very large number of families that care, and demand results. Families willing to make the sacrifice. This includes requirements of volunteering, fund raising, and community service. Yep, when the standards are raised the quality of the end product is better. It is a time tested formula. One that most public schools don't care to follow.
Thanks for giving me the laugh of the day. Wow. Just wow.
Old 01-03-16, 06:07 PM
All Region

ogealbhain is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
Thanks for giving me the laugh of the day. Wow. Just wow.
Curious: what's so funny? I have 2 boys in catholic grade school and this is exactly why I send them. Also neither are particularly athletic.
Old 01-03-16, 06:12 PM
All American

Quote:
That is the most fact that I have seen on this thread yet and sadly it is true but no one wants to see this because the private schools have " an advantage ". If great facilities means titles then why hasn't Massillon got a title in the last decade.
Old 01-03-16, 06:12 PM
All American

hoodrat is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=zeeman;6370934]
Quote:

What private schools have indoor practice facilities?.
Akron Hoban, it's only 40 yards but it's indoors.
http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/...lity-1.639721#
Old 01-03-16, 06:13 PM
All District

Warrior Watcher is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=hoodrat;6370987]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeman View Post

Akron Hoban, it's only 40 yards but it's indoors.
http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/...lity-1.639721#
Elder for one.
Old 01-03-16, 06:18 PM
All World

Quote:
The idea that facilities are better at privates is laughable. If that were the case then Moeller would have been a perennial doormat for the better part of the last four decades. Heck, they just recently renovated to give the boys a practice field. Varsity plays at Lockland. Back in the day, the weight room was Jhot and tiny with a ceiling too low to get in a correct workout. So, the question begs, why leave the posh environment of Lakota or Mason and pay $10k ? Oh, yes. It comes back to that discipline/accountability/high standards thing.
Great post! Very true.
Old 01-03-16, 06:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
One that public schools cannot legally follow.
Old 01-03-16, 06:24 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennies'01 View Post
They can hold themselves accountable they just choose not to
Old 01-03-16, 06:30 PM
All Region

ogealbhain is on a distinguished road
Quote:
That is the most fact that I have seen on this thread yet and sadly it is true but no one wants to see this because the private schools have " an advantage ". If great facilities means titles then why hasn't Massillon got a title in the last decade.
Massillon (sp?) has never won a title ever.... I believe.
Old 01-03-16, 06:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
They can hold themselves accountable they just choose not to
Look, my parents would have never sent me to Benedictine if the school took every kid that lived in the surrounding area. Most good private schools have barriers to entry (even if not readily-apparent to outsiders) and consist of a self-selected group of committed and usually well-resourced families. Public schools must take every student that wants to attend that lives in its assigned geographic area. That means taking the good with the bad, the committed students with the disruptive. It's not about being "accountable," that's a red herring.

Now yes, a small percentage of public schools around the state represent wealthy communities with significant barriers to entry, and it shouldn't come as a huge surprise that these schools often tend to find success in a variety of sports.
Old 01-03-16, 06:59 PM
All American

Quote:
Look, my parents would have never sent me to Benedictine if the school took every kid that lived in the surrounding area. Most good private schools have barriers to entry (even if not readily-apparent to outsiders) and consist of a self-selected group of committed and usually well-resourced families. Public schools must take every student that wants to attend that lives in its assigned geographic area. That means taking the good with the bad, the committed students with the disruptive. It's not about being "accountable," that's a red herring.

Now yes, a small percentage of public schools around the state represent wealthy communities with significant barriers to entry, and it shouldn't come as a huge surprise that these schools often tend to find success in a variety of sports.
You win I'll give you the fact public schools have to bring in everyone, but they don't have to live with the garbage wor ethic that comes with it. They can kick students out, they can drill everything into them
Old 01-03-16, 07:00 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogealbhain View Post
Massillon (sp?) has never won a title ever.... I believe.
Let's not get that going on here an ruin this thread
Old 01-03-16, 07:16 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
You win I'll give you the fact public schools have to bring in everyone, but they don't have to live with the garbage wor ethic that comes with it. They can kick students out, they can drill everything into them
According to state law that all public schools must follow, this is not the case. Even for very serious offenses, there are limits to how long students can be excluded from their local public school. But herein lies the rub, most private schools wouldn't even be likely to take any kid with the propensity to receive an expulsion from a public school.
Old 01-03-16, 07:25 PM
All World

Quote:
You are reading that different than I. What I read in his post is families demanding certain levels of competency and involvement that produces results via a high level of accountability.
Old 01-03-16, 07:47 PM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogealbhain View Post
Curious: what's so funny? I have 2 boys in catholic grade school and this is exactly why I send them. Also neither are particularly athletic.
Not talking about grade school. Excuse me if that's what you thought I meant. I'm talking about oh I don't know let's use the Francisco brothers from Moeller as an example. They came all the way from Dallas because of the quality of a private, Catholic school education in Cincinnati? I think not.
Old 01-03-16, 07:52 PM
All Ohio

TCSoup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In the past 3 years WINTON WOODS WAS DUCKED BY COUNTLESS PRIVATES/PAROCHIAL SCHOOLS FOR FEAR OF LOOSING TO THEM,and not making the playoffs.
really like who.? name them and the year. Didn't D3 Bishop Watterson just travel from Columbus to WW in recent years .
You telling me X, Moe, ducking you guys. I see you play Elder and Lasalle.

Kettering Alter.?
Old 01-03-16, 08:05 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
Not talking about grade school. Excuse me if that's what you thought I meant. I'm talking about oh I don't know let's use the Francisco brothers from Moeller as an example. They came all the way from Dallas because of the quality of a private, Catholic school education in Cincinnati? I think not.
Did they move to Cincinnati? I'm sure they did but why? It could of been for parents jobs not education. People do !ove around the country for reasons other than HS sports
Old 01-03-16, 08:06 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Did they move to Cincinnati? I'm sure they did but why? It could of been for parents jobs not education. People do !ove around the country for reasons other than HS sports
Hiawatha played for the Tomahawks, must have been one helluva a commute.
Old 01-03-16, 08:06 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCSoup View Post
really like who.? name them and the year. Didn't D3 Bishop Watterson just travel from Columbus to WW in recent years and beat you guys.?
Yes D3 Bishop waterson do play Winton Woods along with Elder and Lasalle. Those are the privates will play the varisty team.. Now to name a few that won't, St X,and Moeller will only play freshman, and Jv games not varsiry games. Why not fear of loosing and not making playoffs. As amatter of fact X was supposed to be in Winton Woods schedule in 2014,and 2015 but after WW Jv game ended . 17 -17 in 2013,The next week X AD called and cancelled the games against the varsity.
Old 01-03-16, 08:10 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCSoup View Post
really like who.? name them and the year. Didn't D3 Bishop Watterson just travel from Columbus to WW in recent years .
You telling me X, Moe, ducking you guys. I see you play Elder and Lasalle.

Kettering Alter.?
Now we all know that its hard to schedule games out side of your leagues but if a school has to call all over the Tristate Area to get games its not hard to see some schools would rather play teams they know they can beat for sure then a team that could beat them. Plain and simple.
Old 01-03-16, 08:13 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Now we all know that its hard to schedule games out side of your leagues but if a school has to call all over the Tristate Area to get games its not hard to see some schools would rather play teams they know they can beat for sure then a team that could beat them. Plain and simple.
WW by 16