Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 12-01-15, 03:44 AM
All Region

Lion 86 is on a distinguished road
Minerva is renewing their series with Sandy Valley in 2017, glad to see it. Malvern would be a nice local edition in football, we play them in most sports now and beleive a series with them in football would be great for both programs and communities. Malvern is a good D7 school and play exceptional football most years and are 3.7 miles down 183. I heard Malvern has inquired but nothing contracted yet. Has Minerva ever played Indian Valley as they are scheduled also? Carrollton vs. Malvern series?
Old 12-01-15, 01:10 PM
All Ohio

Maverick0425 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion 86 View Post
Minerva is renewing their series with Sandy Valley in 2017, glad to see it. Malvern would be a nice local edition in football, we play them in most sports now and beleive a series with them in football would be great for both programs and communities. Malvern is a good D7 school and play exceptional football most years and are 3.7 miles down 183. I heard Malvern has inquired but nothing contracted yet. Has Minerva ever played Indian Valley as they are scheduled also? Carrollton vs. Malvern series?
Malvern would have a hard time competing with Minerva, even during Minerva's down years. It is the responsibility of ADs and HCs to take the health and safety of players into account. I just don't see a series between these two schools.

It's interesting that Sandy is actually close in enrollment to Minerva; both schools were in the Senate League back before the NBC was created. Now that the Cardinals have had some success I think it makes sense to bolster their schedule a little. Should draw a good crowd. With that being said, Minerva is on another level than Strasburg, East Canton, Newcomerstown and some of the other teams on Sandy's schedule. I think the Cardinals will figure out really quickly that they're dealing with another level of football.

I don't really know anything about Indian Valley. I know they've had some playoff success in recent years. Were they in the Senate League back in the day? What about the football program? Like Sandy, they are close in size to Minerva. I know they play in the PAC with Tuslaw, Fairless. If I remember correctly, didn't Tuslaw or Fairless weasel their way out of contracts with Minerva at one time?

Last edited by Maverick0425; 12-01-15 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-01-15, 01:20 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion 3475 View Post
If the NBC youth league is the problem in Minerva than why is it that time and time again I see good teams play poor football when they get into middle school.is it because on the youth league or because they are being coached to a system and not to their strengths. At one point this year the varsity was giving up 40 points a game (3-3 stack) and only scoring 8.how do you sell that to youth coaches when you can't make it work at the upper level. The NBC youth league is not the problem .its working for every other team in the NBC(except Louisville). Maby its time to lay the blame where it belongs and not on the people who spend countless hours trying to make sure these kids can at a full football season.
I think when the varsity goes 0-10 there is a lot of blame to go around. I've never heard anyone blame the youth coaches or critique the job they are doing. But I understand that it's hard to not look at it that way. I do know that changes are coming from top to bottom. Everyone involved with Lion football needs to come and work together and quit pointing fingers at each other. Otherwise, the program will continue to struggle.
Old 12-01-15, 01:37 PM
All Ohio

bluepride1990 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick0425 View Post
I don't really know anything about Indian Valley. Were they in the Senate League back in the day? What about the football program? Like Sandy, they are close in size to Minerva. I did see they play in the PAC with Tuslaw, Manchester. Should be a good matchup for both schools.
Indian Valley was not in the Senate league and was actually two High Schools IV North and IV South until 1988. IV North and South were both in the IVC until the merger. I believe they may have been independents for a few years before joining the PAC in 1992. Was out of the PAC and in the ECOL from 96-07 before return to the PAC in 2007. Now moving to IVC in 2017.

Have been a regular playoff contender/participant
Old 12-01-15, 02:44 PM
All American

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
its a sad day in minerva when they have to schedule Sandy or Malvern, I hope they can get it turned around. I know there is alot of league switching new league talk, but I can't see how one team in the league is cause for school districts to want to bolt or start a new league. Schools must do what is best for them, however in my opinion in this case.....I think it looks weak. Especially when the complaint is one school has 100 more boys but yet some of the chatter here has proposals where there would be teams much smaller than them. yeah i get it everyone wants to be the big fish in the little pond. Teams in ITCL have looked other way for years when WB or Salem comes knocking, and the IVC just expanded with everyone pretty happy with how the travel and competition will play out. Not sure who or where some teams will really have options of going.
Old 12-02-15, 04:05 AM
All Region

Quote:
I think when the varsity goes 0-10 there is a lot of blame to go around. I've never heard anyone blame the youth coaches or critique the job they are doing. But I understand that it's hard to not look at it that way. I do know that changes are coming from top to bottom. Everyone involved with Lion football needs to come and work together and quit pointing fingers at each other. Otherwise, the program will continue to struggle.
Right Mav everyone needs to work together and I hope the Little Lions come back to our dwindling numbers program. I don't like the NBC youth league as it doesn't generate or promote enough playing time or development for the youth, causing low numbers entering 7th and 8th and that rolls into the high school levels with low numbers and skill development deficiencies. I know for a fact once implimented the Little Lions program would grow immensely within a few years, again we can still have some games with other programs like I did, we played Louisville. I lived it so I know. Some youth coaches don't understand the benefits or asset this program could result in. Sandy Valley is only 1 division lower than us and they are a great local program. Malvern would be a great 1 or 2 year contract to just see what happens between us in football, as M&M could be a interesting battle even if its on the turf here for one game. I was very frustrated and disappointed this year with our program but hope change is coming because Minerva football is better than what we have been doing. The youth coaches do a great job! We just need the program above back with one system from youth to varsity.

Last edited by Lion 86; 12-02-15 at 04:21 AM.
Old 12-08-15, 05:31 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post
its a sad day in minerva when they have to schedule Sandy or Malvern, I hope they can get it turned around. I know there is alot of league switching new league talk, but I can't see how one team in the league is cause for school districts to want to bolt or start a new league. Schools must do what is best for them, however in my opinion in this case.....I think it looks weak. Especially when the complaint is one school has 100 more boys but yet some of the chatter here has proposals where there would be teams much smaller than them. yeah i get it everyone wants to be the big fish in the little pond. Teams in ITCL have looked other way for years when WB or Salem comes knocking, and the IVC just expanded with everyone pretty happy with how the travel and competition will play out. Not sure who or where some teams will really have options of going.
I beleive until we commit to this entire program this will be Minerva football. We lost focus in this program the last few years and with numbers down, until we get football ready failure will be the air we breathe here. 0-10 is just ridiculous but their again the kids pay the price for nepotism. Watched the state playoff games D1 -7 and they are all exceptional programs as you see pride and complete commitment from the coaching staff to the kids. Something we don't have here in Minerva recently,causing unacceptable complacency for our program. The staff and administration need to get us moving forward NOW, the past is behind us.

Last edited by Lion 86; 12-08-15 at 05:47 AM.
Old 12-08-15, 09:34 AM
All American

Minerva has always had TOUGH kids and a town that has deep pride in their football program. I have nothing but respect for them and any conversation with alum of the program always comes back to little lions program and how they can't see not having Louisville on the schedule.

In saying that - times change and if Minerva stays - goes - or whatever - I do wish them well and hope they regain their momentum. The facilities in Minerva are impeccable.
Old 12-08-15, 11:16 AM
All Region

222left is on a distinguished road
I know that I am going to take heat for saying this, but many of the schools in the NBC (IMO) are fighting the same battle. It is not always coaching, or support, but it is the fact that they are offering too many options to kids. I know how that sounds, but when you break it down it is true. Back in the late 80's and 90's and before that when you wanted to do something in the fall you either ran track or played football that was it. Now kids can pick from Football, Track, Soccer, Fall baseball, or somehow be convinced to specialize in one sport like wresting or basketball. When you only have 250-350 boys to pick from you lose 4-5 good players and that hurts your team tremendously. I see it in Louisville right now where the best soccer player we have is Soph, and he would be one of best football players had he played football at a young age instead of soccer. I already know that Louisville will start to see it's baseball program hurt because we needed to add lacrosse as a spring sport.

Now I say all that, but I also say this....I am glad kids are out doing something and not sitting at home playing video games. My comments are not "I hate every sport but football", but rather to point out that the reason many of us small schools are starting to see some drop off is simply that we don't have enough athletes to support 5 different sports that happen at the same season.
Old 12-08-15, 01:03 PM
All District

Leopard_Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222left View Post
I know that I am going to take heat for saying this, but many of the schools in the NBC (IMO) are fighting the same battle. It is not always coaching, or support, but it is the fact that they are offering too many options to kids. I know how that sounds, but when you break it down it is true. Back in the late 80's and 90's and before that when you wanted to do something in the fall you either ran track or played football that was it. Now kids can pick from Football, Track, Soccer, Fall baseball, or somehow be convinced to specialize in one sport like wresting or basketball. When you only have 250-350 boys to pick from you lose 4-5 good players and that hurts your team tremendously. I see it in Louisville right now where the best soccer player we have is Soph, and he would be one of best football players had he played football at a young age instead of soccer. I already know that Louisville will start to see it's baseball program hurt because we needed to add lacrosse as a spring sport.

Now I say all that, but I also say this....I am glad kids are out doing something and not sitting at home playing video games. My comments are not "I hate every sport but football", but rather to point out that the reason many of us small schools are starting to see some drop off is simply that we don't have enough athletes to support 5 different sports that happen at the same season.
For the most part, I agree with your comments regarding there being a lot more options available than there used to be. You briefly mentioned one other item that potentially could have a big impact and that is specialization.

I've not seen it having as much of an impact with football in Louisville, but it has affected other sports. Off the top of my head, I can think of 3 Louisville players from this year's football team who were playing basketball as recently as 2 years ago and no longer are because they wanted to concentrate on football. Fortunately, due to the amount of talent and depth they have this year, this didn't make too much of an impact with the basketball team. However, most years it would have. Think about it...if you take 3 good athletes out of say the top 8 or 10 from a basketball team, most years that team could go from potentially being very good to average.

I can't fault the kids as I'm sure they have their reasons for doing it (after all, of the 3 I mentioned above one of them has a DI scholarship in football and one of the others is getting some interest), but this does have an impact, possibly more so with smaller schools in the NBC due to the smaller amount of athletes they have available to begin with.

I don't know of it still affecting any of the NBC schools currently, but could again at some point in the future was "pay to play". Several years back, some schools were having trouble passing school levies and required parents to pay a fee for their kids to play a varsity sport. Although most schools put a cap on the max amount a family would pay, some were forced to limit their kids to one sport or at least limit their participation across various sports throughout the year because they aren't made of money and couldn't afford to let their kids play a sport in each season.
Old 12-08-15, 01:44 PM
All American

Both of the following posts are excellent and I do believe both specialization and multiple options as contributing factors to lower turnouts.

This does come down to a decision of parents and their student athletes. Personally I promote numerous sports to my children and encourage them to participate in several activities. My family has a focus on academics as there is more scholarship monies for academics then athletics.

I guess that's why they call them the good ole days, when kids were encouraged to play multiple sports as I do realize there are those parents and coaches that feel kids should just focus on one sport.

I believe variety is the spice of life. In a game like football however - numbers are crucial so to have a top athlete here or there specialize in one sport can compromise the level a program can achieve. well done B
Old 12-09-15, 02:56 PM
All Region

KINGOFTHEJUNGLE is on a distinguished road
Mike Hall resigns as head football coach of Minerva Lions. Team meeting held today to inform kids of change.
Old 12-10-15, 05:07 AM
All American

Stark Born & Bred is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGOFTHEJUNGLE View Post
Mike Hall resigns as head football coach of Minerva Lions. Team meeting held today to inform kids of change.
http://m.fridaynightohio.com/news/mi...ach-steps-down
Old 12-10-15, 11:40 PM
All Region

Quote:
Any names of possible internal candidates for the job? Who would you like to see get the next HC position? Very big hire for the Lions!
Old 12-11-15, 01:09 AM
All Region

Quote:
Any names of possible internal candidates for the job? Who would you like to see get the next HC position? Very big hire for the Lions!

My guess is coach Lutz, wish it was coach Albert though. I thought it was absolutely ridiculous that as good a football coach that Alex is that he has not been involved the last two years with our varsity program and that falls directly on the shoulders of our former coach. At the very minimum, I know coach Albert will be back running the offense and that means four wide spreading the field and allowing our athletes to be athletes. No more of this crap veer wing T thank heavens.
Old 12-12-15, 09:27 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
My guess is coach Lutz, wish it was coach Albert though. I thought it was absolutely ridiculous that as good a football coach that Alex is that he has not been involved the last two years with our varsity program and that falls directly on the shoulders of our former coach. At the very minimum, I know coach Albert will be back running the offense and that means four wide spreading the field and allowing our athletes to be athletes. No more of this crap veer wing T thank heavens.
The names I'm hearing thrown around are also Lutz and Albert. I hope Albert throws his hat in this time around. It's my understanding that some of the coaches have young kids at home and no one will step forward to take the HC job. This is one of the reasons we had to go outside the program and hire Coach Hall.

Another name no one is mentioning: Jim Rittenhouse

Ritty knows as much football as anyone on the staff, save maybe Alex Albert. He's a Minerva graduate and has been coaching in some capacity since the '70s.

Last edited by Maverick0425; 12-12-15 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-12-15, 03:03 PM
All World

LeopardNation is on a distinguished road
A Complete breakdown by sport of NBC Championships won by each school:

All-Time NBC Championship Breakdown
Old 12-16-15, 05:53 AM
All Region

Quote:
I want a former football Lion in that position with a passion to move this program forward from the bottom up. Spread offense with organization meaning a hurry up O instead of this pi$$en around getting the plays in that is so fricken annoying and costly, Defensively we need to drop the 3-3 stack? and learn to make proper adjustments when necessary.
Old 12-16-15, 08:42 AM
All American

Journey is on a distinguished road
Any updates on Minerva and Alliance jobs? Top candidates? Wish list? Internal candidates?

Any other NBC jobs coming open soon?
Old 12-17-15, 04:57 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey View Post
Any updates on Minerva and Alliance jobs? Top candidates? Wish list? Internal candidates?

Any other NBC jobs coming open soon?

I really believe, from what I am hearing that the Minerva job is going to go to Lance Willison, he was D'coordinator/linebacker coach this past year. He is Minerva football and most importantly the kids like and respect him and he will have a great relationship with every coach on his staff. Our former coach had neither one of these. If it happens, kudos to Spinell and school board for getting this right. Next to hiring coach Molen, they couldn't have made a better choice to get our program back where it belongs!
Old 12-18-15, 12:16 AM
All Region

Quote:
I really believe, from what I am hearing that the Minerva job is going to go to Lance Willison, he was D'coordinator/linebacker coach this past year. He is Minerva football and most importantly the kids like and respect him and he will have a great relationship with every coach on his staff. Our former coach had neither one of these. If it happens, kudos to Spinell and school board for getting this right. Next to hiring coach Molen, they couldn't have made a better choice to get our program back where it belongs!
Good report King. Ranking him with the hiring of Molen sounds great because he was an excellent coach, his record speaks for itself.
Old 12-18-15, 11:30 AM
All Region

Quote:
Good report King. Ranking him with the hiring of Molen sounds great because he was an excellent coach, his record speaks for itself.

I'll tell ya 86, coach Molen just turned 70 and if he so chose to return to the sidelines, he would be a better coach than anyone in this county.
Old 12-18-15, 12:21 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Lance Willison played for Molen on two of the best teams in school history and was just inducted into the Hall of Fame. He'd be the logical choice. The thing I hear about Willison though is that he has two young children at home. That's why he didn't apply three years ago when they hired Hall.
Old 12-18-15, 12:25 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I'll tell ya 86, coach Molen just turned 70 and if he so chose to return to the sidelines, he would be a better coach than anyone in this county.
And he looks like he's no older than mid 50s! Molen's strength as a coach was his ability to motivate. His players played with absolute effort every play. He could take average athletes and make them into all league players.
Old 12-18-15, 01:02 PM
All Region

Quote:
And he looks like he's no older than mid 50s! Molen's strength as a coach was his ability to motivate. His players played with absolute effort every play. He could take average athletes and make them into all league players.

You are absolutely right Mav!!!!
Old 12-19-15, 12:18 AM
All Region

Quote:
Absolutely 100% agree King, we'll see what happens but I am excited for the future right now!
Old 12-19-15, 12:33 AM
All Region

Quote:
No doubt Mav, and if we get Lance as HC this program will move forward. Molen was an excellent coach and had him as a teacher too in junior high. The building no longer exists but some of the fuzzy memories do!
Old 12-23-15, 06:24 AM
All American

hoodrat is on a distinguished road
Special board meeting this morning at 8 to hire the new football coach.
Merry Christmas Lions! I'm hearing Lance Willison.

Last edited by hoodrat; 12-23-15 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-23-15, 09:44 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodrat View Post
Special board meeting this morning at 8 to hire the new football coach.
Merry Christmas Lions! I'm hearing Lance Willison.
Rat, it is Lance. Talked to him last night at basketball game as well as AD Spinell. I really hope Minerva football fans know and realize what a great hire this is for our program. GO LIONS!!!
Old 12-23-15, 08:18 PM
All Yappi

The Butler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The Minerva Lions turned to one of their own Tuesday to lead the football program into the future.

Former standout linebacker Lance Willison was named the new head coach at Minerva after being approved by the Minerva Local Board of Education in a special meeting.
http://www.fridaynightohio.com/news/...new-head-coach