Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1621  
Old 06-08-17, 02:01 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 1,309
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
It's June 8th and the Reds just completed a 4 game sweep of St. Louis and are 2.5 games back with a decimated rotation.
Sponsored Links
  #1622  
Old 06-08-17, 02:01 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 2,314
14Red is on a distinguished road
Doesn't get much better than sweeping the Cards!!
  #1623  
Old 06-08-17, 02:01 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 2,425
Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
He tore every ligament in his knee. He wasn't fully healthy and strong last season. The fact that you think any athlete can return to peak form after a horrific knee injury like that in single season is beyond stupid.
Oh so he was only injured for one year. Got it, thanks for clearing that up!
  #1624  
Old 06-08-17, 02:02 PM
adselder09 adselder09 is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-11-07
Posts: 12,773
adselder09 is on a distinguished road
This dude definitely passed up 14Red. And jesus he's still harping on scoring from 3rd and the whole Russell for Cozart trade. It's NOT an upgrade for the Cubs.

Guy literally looks at one half of an argument and doesn't think about anything other than the numbers/facts that support his stance.
  #1625  
Old 06-08-17, 02:15 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 1,309
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
This dude definitely passed up 14Red. And jesus he's still harping on scoring from 3rd and the whole Russell for Cozart trade. It's NOT an upgrade for the Cubs.

Guy literally looks at one half of an argument and doesn't think about anything other than the numbers/facts that support his stance.
This season Cozart is most definitely an upgrade over Russell. It's not even close.
Sure Russell is much younger with a lot of upside. Will the Cubs be able to replace 6 very good pitchers next season with equal or better quality thru FA? I doubt it.

Everyone except EP and myself jumped all over Billy for getting thrown out at 3rd in a game. Today was a perfect example of why it was worth the risk.

Sorry that you don't like it.
  #1626  
Old 06-08-17, 02:19 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 1,309
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Oh so he was only injured for one year. Got it, thanks for clearing that up!
Which is why I repeatedly said healthy AND STRONG.
  #1627  
Old 06-08-17, 02:20 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 1,309
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Doesn't get much better than sweeping the Cards!!
No it doesn't.

Tough West coast trip coming up.
  #1628  
Old 06-08-17, 02:21 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,394
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
This season Cozart is most definitely an upgrade over Russell. It's not even close.
Sure Russell is much younger with a lot of upside. Will the Cubs be able to replace 6 very good pitchers next season with equal or better quality thru FA? I doubt it.

Everyone except EP and myself jumped all over Billy for getting thrown out at 3rd in a game. Today was a perfect example of why it was worth the risk.

Sorry that you don't like it.
I think the Reds should hold out for Russell and Bryant for Cozart, he's an upgrade to both.
  #1629  
Old 06-08-17, 02:54 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 2,425
Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Which is why I repeatedly said healthy AND STRONG.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh maybe not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
He also was hurt for 2 of those years. Prior to his injury he was playing the best he had ever played. I guess he was just on a hot streak then too...
  #1630  
Old 06-08-17, 03:04 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 1,309
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh maybe not.
Lol you found 1 out of 5 post that I talk about Cozarts knee/health and didn't mention strong. Even Russell batting better than that.
Btw, Cozart was shut down at the end of last season because of his knee.
  #1631  
Old 06-08-17, 03:06 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 1,309
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
I think the Reds should hold out for Russell and Bryant for Cozart, he's an upgrade to both.
Maybe it will take that....
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...ddison-russell
  #1632  
Old 06-08-17, 03:19 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,394
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Wow, but we all know that's going nowhere.
  #1633  
Old 06-08-17, 03:23 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 1,309
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Supposedly his wife's girlfriend tweeted about physical and mental abuse by Russell.
  #1634  
Old 06-08-17, 03:25 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 1,309
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Even before these allegations surfaced the Cubs had sat Russell in 4 of the last 7 games in favor of Baez at SS.
Perhaps the Cubs aren't so enamoured by Russell after all.
  #1635  
Old 06-08-17, 03:33 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,394
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
He's obviously not playing well. So sitting him for a game or two would make sense.
  #1636  
Old 06-08-17, 04:05 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 1,309
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
He's obviously not playing well. So sitting him for a game or two would make sense.
Baez has already started twice as many games at SS this season than last year. Something like 17 compared to 8 last year. Chicago's confidence in Russell is wavering. Does that mean they are looking to trade him? Of course not.... yet. But it's not as far fetched as some of you think.
  #1637  
Old 06-08-17, 04:11 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,394
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Baez has already started twice as many games at SS this season than last year. Something like 17 compared to 8 last year. Chicago's confidence in Russell is wavering. Does that mean they are looking to trade him? Of course not.... yet. But it's not as far fetched as some of you think.
Since it has zero percent chance of happening, it's exactly as far fetched as I think it is.
  #1638  
Old 06-08-17, 04:28 PM
adselder09 adselder09 is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-11-07
Posts: 12,773
adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
This season Cozart is most definitely an upgrade over Russell. It's not even close.
Sure Russell is much younger with a lot of upside. Will the Cubs be able to replace 6 very good pitchers next season with equal or better quality thru FA? I doubt it.

Everyone except EP and myself jumped all over Billy for getting thrown out at 3rd in a game. Today was a perfect example of why it was worth the risk.

Sorry that you don't like it.
Well I don't like it, because it's wrong. On both counts.
  #1639  
Old 06-08-17, 06:22 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 1,309
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Well I don't like it, because it's wrong. On both counts.
.347 ave > .209
9 HR> 3
33 RBI> 19
.430 OPS> .291
.612 SLG> .335
  #1640  
Old 06-08-17, 06:43 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,394
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
.347 ave > .209
9 HR> 3
33 RBI> 19
.430 OPS> .291
.612 SLG> .335
I know you aren't this stupid and realize that career averages are a better reflection of their comparative value, but you made a dumb trade suggestion and need to rely on a small sample size to justify your dumb assertion.
  #1641  
Old 06-08-17, 07:58 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 1,309
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
I know you aren't this stupid and realize that career averages are a better reflection of their comparative value, but you made a dumb trade suggestion and need to rely on a small sample size to justify your dumb assertion.
I love how you want to argue with numbers as if they can't be right simply because they don't match up with your opinion.

Let's assume both players end up hitting .250 on the season. First that's a big assumption considering Russell has NEVER hit .250 in a season. Russell would need to bat .268 over the final 2/3 of this year. Keep in mind his best year was .242 so that's a jump of .026 over his best mark and .059 over his current average.

Cozart on the other hand would need to hit .205 the rest of the year. An average he has bested every single season of his career.

There is nothing in either players past that would suggest either scenario would happen much less both simultaneously.

I know you so badly want Russell to be better than Cozart and someday he may be but right now Cozart is better in every way measurable.
  #1642  
Old 06-08-17, 08:24 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,394
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
I love how you want to argue with numbers as if they can't be right simply because they don't match up with your opinion.

Let's assume both players end up hitting .250 on the season. First that's a big assumption considering Russell has NEVER hit .250 in a season. Russell would need to bat .268 over the final 2/3 of this year. Keep in mind his best year was .242 so that's a jump of .026 over his best mark and .059 over his current average.

Cozart on the other hand would need to hit .205 the rest of the year. An average he has bested every single season of his career.

There is nothing in either players past that would suggest either scenario would happen much less both simultaneously.

I know you so badly want Russell to be better than Cozart and someday he may be but right now Cozart is better in every way measurable.
I love how you say I argue numbers when you are obviously cherry picking yo desperately defend a dumb opinion.
  #1643  
Old 06-08-17, 09:27 PM
vamp2syd vamp2syd is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 09-24-02
Location: HH Wayne 35 Moeller 17
Posts: 34,838
vamp2syd will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Doesn't get much better than sweeping the Cards!!
well, sweeping the dudgers....
  #1644  
Old 06-09-17, 06:35 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 67,394
eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamp2syd View Post
well, sweeping the dudgers....
Go Dodgers!
  #1645  
Old 06-09-17, 06:44 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 2,425
Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Lol you found 1 out of 5 post that I talk about Cozarts knee/health and didn't mention strong. Even Russell batting better than that.
Btw, Cozart was shut down at the end of last season because of his knee.
That's because it was your first post on the subject.
  #1646  
Old 06-09-17, 06:47 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 2,425
Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Even before these allegations surfaced the Cubs had sat Russell in 4 of the last 7 games in favor of Baez at SS.
Perhaps the Cubs aren't so enamoured by Russell after all.
A franchise with plenty of options chooses to bench a struggling player with lots of potential?! No way! Alert the media!
  #1647  
Old 06-09-17, 07:57 AM
adselder09 adselder09 is online now
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-11-07
Posts: 12,773
adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
.347 ave > .209
9 HR> 3
33 RBI> 19
.430 OPS> .291
.612 SLG> .335
All this says is that Cozart is having a better year thus far. I've never argued that. Though it says nothing about how each will perfrom the rest of the year. It's a bad deal and a dumb suggestion by you. Get over it.
  #1648  
Old 06-09-17, 08:20 AM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 1,309
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
All this says is that Cozart is having a better year thus far. I've never argued that. Though it says nothing about how each will perfrom the rest of the year. It's a bad deal and a dumb suggestion by you. Get over it.
Sure you did...
I stated "This season Cozart is most definitely an upgrade over Russell. It's not even close."
You said I was wrong.

I provided the Statistical proof I was right.

Except it.
  #1649  
Old 06-09-17, 08:25 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 2,425
Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Sure you did...
I stated "This season Cozart is most definitely an upgrade over Russell. It's not even close."
You said I was wrong.

I provided the Statistical proof I was right.

Except it.
What are we expecting?
  #1650  
Old 06-09-17, 08:33 AM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 1,309
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
A franchise with plenty of options chooses to bench a struggling player with lots of potential?! No way! Alert the media!
Thanks for finally acknowledging the premise of my initial post on the topic that Russell is struggling and the Cubs might be interested in other options. Is that option a trade? Time will tell.

The fact that Baez is getting more playing time at SS shows two things:
1) The Cubs aren't necessarily confident that they can win NOW with him at SS.
2) A significant upgrade at SS (Cozart) In a short term "rental" is workable because they have a long term option in Baez.

You're looking at this as if the Cubs are rebuilding. They're not. They are in "win now" mode. They know half their pitching staff are FA next year and it will be incredibly expensive to retain and even more difficult to replicate with different pitchers.

None of this means they will make a trade only that the conditions are there for the potential.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Boys State Championships (1976-2016) Yappi Boys Soccer 1 03-20-17 01:02 AM
2015 Football Conferences Yappi Football 34 08-03-15 01:45 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz