Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-18-18, 01:37 PM
Freshman

TheDuq is on a distinguished road
What many people don't realize is that Olentangy is running out of room and that growth is going\already has begin in Big Walnut, now it is in Delaware and even reaching to Buckeye Valley zoning.

Biggest sign for even more growth in Delaware? They are building a new\additional fire station where new growth is going to be created, meaning very large, slightly cheaper versions of the Olentangy developments that you will see going to Berlin next year. A fire station is required for new residential zoning and to get neighborhoods up so this is a pretty big deal. If Delaware takes advantage of getting football going at the youth level a bit more, gets a young guy willing to put that effort in for the next 5-7 years, they will be a very, very good program with the right people there. They will indeed have the players and I would argue by 2025-26 will have one of the largest high schools population-wise in not only Delaware County, but probably the OCC. All of these new homes will mean more tax money going right into the pockets of Delaware City Schools, which also to my knowledge already has a new elementary in the works.

It's a long ways-away, but ten years from now, I won't be surprised if Buckeye Valley blows up like Springboro did in Dayton.

Nevertheless, the Delaware job is easily one of the best jobs to open this year, but it will be a project and will need someone young.
Old 04-18-18, 01:43 PM
Junior Varsity

FOOTBALLGUYDT is on a distinguished road
You are very right growth is key and it's happening.
Old 04-18-18, 09:22 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Duq, I'm not sure if you are accurately looking at this in terms of the school district enrollment maps. There are still massive undeveloped areas in the Olentangy school district. Olentangy schools have a better reputation than Delaware schools, and would thus be more attractive to both home buyers and developers. I don't see the Delaware school district enrollment area being an untapped gem ready to explode. There are some attractive features of living in a college town such as Delaware, but I just don't see the basis for the belief that they are going to experience any explosive growth in the near future.
Old 04-19-18, 07:15 AM
Freshman

TheDuq is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
Duq, I'm not sure if you are accurately looking at this in terms of the school district enrollment maps. There are still massive undeveloped areas in the Olentangy school district. Olentangy schools have a better reputation than Delaware schools, and would thus be more attractive to both home buyers and developers. I don't see the Delaware school district enrollment area being an untapped gem ready to explode. There are some attractive features of living in a college town such as Delaware, but I just don't see the basis for the belief that they are going to experience any explosive growth in the near future.
A lot of people can't afford the "untapped" areas of Olentangy, younger families are moving further North. As far as "explosive growth", it's already happening. Take a trip up 315, 71, or 23 North. People are leaving Worthingtown, half of Dublin, and half of Westerville (generally anywhere near 270) and getting out as fast as possible as home values are plummeting nearly at 2008 Meltdown rates.

Amazing to see Worthington Schools starting to go down in flames. Wasn't more than 5-7 years ago they were some of the best in Columbus.
Old 04-19-18, 08:10 AM
Junior Varsity

There is a lot of land for sale that would be in the Delaware District. Plus like mentioned a lot of people can't afford the Olentangy district because the homes prices keep going up. They have an idea of a community there Evans Farms that's not selling like it should b/c the homes are just too expensive. Yes people want the Olentangy Education but can't afford it. They are building apartments in Powell but those will probably have a high price tag on them too. Delaware just added on the High School which is now the 2nd time they've done it. It's a Band-Aid for the time being. The next step would eventually to possibly build another high school. But there's still a lot of land in Delaware that would go to Delaware City schools.
Old 04-19-18, 09:36 AM
All District

presnapread is on a distinguished road
Pacers

Everything which has been stated about Delaware's potential growth, what is best for Hayes High School Football, Olentangy growth V's. Hayes growth, Housing, Development, etc. is all very accurate. It just doesn't change the fact that very soon Westerville North will be looking for a new Head Football Coach.
Old 04-19-18, 10:16 AM
Junior Varsity

So you know this for sure? Where's your source? Nothing away from Coach Wetzel b/c he's a good coach. Just think Delaware went with what they think is a safe option instead of going for what is right. I mean it seems like he wants out of Westerville pretty bad. He was about to take a job that he was board approved for and didn't sign his contract b/c Delaware opened. I mean what will he do when the water is rough at Hayes run back to BV or BW?
Old 04-19-18, 08:45 PM
Freshman

DCap113 is on a distinguished road
Just out of curiosity, what is this alleged school that Wetzel was supposedly leaving for and already had board approval? Don't remember hearing his name attached to any of the openings this offseason.
Old 04-20-18, 07:43 AM
Junior Varsity

Rumor is he was approved and set to go to a smaller school, might have been Fredericktown (might be wrong), the day he was suppose to sign his contract Delaware opened and he never signed. That's what I heard from someone so might not even be true either way. He's a good coach but I really think Hayes needed to go a different route. No disrespect to him but I think a younger guy would have fit the mold a little better.
Old 04-20-18, 12:27 PM
Freshman

3rd&1 is on a distinguished road
Seem to be a lot of people ‘in the know’ on this thread! Just wonder if anyone of these people could cut the mustard being a coach in todays world???
Old 04-20-18, 12:48 PM
Junior Varsity

Delaware is a small town you hear things. No one is questioning coaching. All that is being said that Delaware shouldn't keep bringing in a guy who's done well else where because it's not working that's all that's being said.
Old 04-20-18, 03:22 PM
Freshman

I agree...didn’t work out to well last time they tried this
Old 04-23-18, 08:46 AM
All District

Cool Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&1 View Post
Seem to be a lot of people ‘in the know’ on this thread! Just wonder if anyone of these people could cut the mustard being a coach in todays world???
OMG No. In and out of rehab, can hardly hold a job, beat my dog, wife and kids .... There's no way I could "cut the mustard being a coach in today's world" I'll stick to the third shift making milkshakes at UDF, that's challenging enough to keep up with!
Old 04-24-18, 03:36 PM
Freshman

Wow, so from the sounds of your reply and disrespectful attitude towards people who work at UDF and the like, you’d be a heck of a mentor for our kids today.
Old 04-25-18, 07:28 AM
All District

Go Pacers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&1 View Post
Wow, so from the sounds of your reply and disrespectful attitude towards people who work at UDF and the like, you’d be a heck of a mentor for our kids today.
3rd & 1 - I'm one of those rare s ... I take pride in it!
Old 04-25-18, 09:18 AM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by presnapread View Post
OMG No. In and out of rehab, can hardly hold a job, beat my dog, wife and kids .... There's no way I could "cut the mustard being a coach in today's world" I'll stick to the third shift making milkshakes at UDF, that's challenging enough to keep up with!
Those 2am milkshakes always satisfied me when I was at OWU, back in the day.
Old 04-26-18, 07:30 AM
Junior Varsity

Scott Wetzel named Hayes HC

http://www.delgazette.com/sports/680...otball-program
Old 04-26-18, 08:29 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dock View Post
Those 2am milkshakes always satisfied me when I was at OWU, back in the day.
Come back, I'll make you another one. Mention you know me from Yappi and I'll throw in a bag of lunch size chips!
Old 04-26-18, 08:30 AM
All District

OK, now who's the next head coach at Westerville North?
Old 04-26-18, 09:02 AM
Junior Varsity

whippet175 is on a distinguished road
Hayes just hired a winner. If you know the man, you know they now have a great football coach and even better person. The community and kids are the big winners here.
Old 04-26-18, 10:43 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuq View Post
What many people don't realize is that Olentangy is running out of room and that growth is going\already has begin in Big Walnut, now it is in Delaware and even reaching to Buckeye Valley zoning.

Biggest sign for even more growth in Delaware? They are building a new\additional fire station where new growth is going to be created, meaning very large, slightly cheaper versions of the Olentangy developments that you will see going to Berlin next year. A fire station is required for new residential zoning and to get neighborhoods up so this is a pretty big deal. If Delaware takes advantage of getting football going at the youth level a bit more, gets a young guy willing to put that effort in for the next 5-7 years, they will be a very, very good program with the right people there. They will indeed have the players and I would argue by 2025-26 will have one of the largest high schools population-wise in not only Delaware County, but probably the OCC. All of these new homes will mean more tax money going right into the pockets of Delaware City Schools, which also to my knowledge already has a new elementary in the works.

It's a long ways-away, but ten years from now, I won't be surprised if Buckeye Valley blows up like Springboro did in Dayton.

Nevertheless, the Delaware job is easily one of the best jobs to open this year, but it will be a project and will need someone young.
I think all in all, you're on the right track here. I don't know if BV will explode to Springboro levels, although it is possible. That district just has some unique issues, geography being the main one. That, and the fact it is a district that is 45-50% "new families" whereas the other half is the rural, northern and western Delaware County families that have been there for generations. BV did just join the Mid-State League, and that will be interesting...
Old 04-26-18, 10:50 AM
All American

Good news for Delaware is that they hired the candidate that made the most sense, and one who has a great track record.

Not-so-good news for Delaware is one has to wonder how long Wetzel would even stay there. I'm not saying he'd duck out after three years, or so, but a program like Hayes needs someone that can implement a culture that will extend across all the grade levels for years from now. If Wetzel doesn't make it past five years at Hayes, which is a school in bad need for a long-term coach with a long-term vision, then will this even have been that great of a hire?
Old 04-27-18, 08:42 AM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
http://www.thisweeknews.com/news/201...tamp-on-pacers

Here's the article from ThisWeeknews. Hayes will continue to have a tough go of it until the re-shuffle. After the OCC reshuffle, they won't have to face Bradley, Darby, and Jerome, who will likely always be better than them in football.
Old 04-27-18, 10:28 AM
All Region

AHM is on a distinguished road
Backroom buddy system at work. The principal did this with Golden. Now the AD is doing this with Wetzel. This is a bad hire and they will be looking for a new coach in a couple years.

They should have looked for a coach that was willing to build the program from the ground up. Instead they hire buddies who have worn out their welcome at their most recent school, but used to win decades ago.

This is why the teams that stink do so every year.
Old 04-27-18, 10:39 AM
All World

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes they made a safe hire in my opinion. I hope it works out for them , he is by most accounts a very good coach so I won't call it a 'Bad" hire, but it doesn't automatically mean it is the 'Right" As I have said previously on this thread I thought getting the younger hungry less experienced guy with a chip on his shoulder who wants to build his own program from the bottom.

Kind of like the route Jerome took . I realize as I said guys like Gecewich aren't hanging out on every staff as an assistant. Wetzel may be rejuvenated and be really motivated to build this program . I wish him and his staff well
Old 04-27-18, 12:49 PM
Junior Varsity

AHM and Harrycrane I agree with both of you this was done when Golden was hired as well as now Wetzel. It's their safe hire b/c they know them. The article said 10 candidates had ties to Delaware County. Crazy that they didn't like one of them to give them a shot. Hopefully Wetzel does a good job. Be nice to see the Hayes/Bradley game this year since Picetti is the DC at Bradley I'm sure he'll have that game circled on the schedule. I mean last year Bradley beat the snot out of Hayes. It was a blowout before half. They called the dogs off and put the two's in. I can say Picetti might get the green light to keep the 1's in a little longer to prove maybe they missed the right young assistant with a chip on his shoulder just saying. I'm sure if any of the other guys have Hayes on their schedule they'll have the game circled. I just know about him as a candidate b/c of his time at Tangy. But lets see what'll happen. Will he turn the program around or will they be looking for a new HC in 3 years? I know what my opinion is but we'll just have to wait and see.
Old 05-01-18, 09:49 AM
Freshman

Hey FOOTBALLGUYDT,
From the sounds of it, I'd say you ARE Picetti...do you like talking in third person? Wow, sour grapes much???
Old 05-01-18, 11:49 AM
Junior Varsity

Well I'm definitely not Picetti, I know of him from living in Delaware County and I've heard nothing but great things about him as a coach. He was the one I was hoping would get it when I heard who was interviewing.
Old 05-01-18, 01:02 PM
Freshman

fussandfeathers is on a distinguished road
Great hire by Delaware! Wetzel gets the type of kids in Delaware. Good move.
Old 05-02-18, 07:30 AM
Freshman

Ace Ventura is on a distinguished road