Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-24-18, 02:18 PM
Varsity

5x26 is on a distinguished road
Top 10 girls in the state after 5 weeks

From Mile split. Any surprises?

Ewert is a machine, wow, that girl can flat run. Bucher is just amazing, especially given her size and has grown leaps and bounds every year since 7th grade. Bush got stuck in the funnel and trapped for about first half a mile at SNL and had to really fight to get back in the race but still ran amazing. Erbach coming back off that horrendous injury freshman year moving up nicely.

Kind of expected to see Walsh, Walker and Doerger in the mix. Also nobody from Mason even with the seemingly short and fast Culver race in Indiana on their schedule.

TAYLOR EWERT Beavercreek 2020 17:08.10

EMMA BUCHER Centerville 2021 17:17.70

SAM BUSH Turpin 2019 17:30.10

ELLA GILSON Hawken 2021 17:33.40

JODIE PIERCE Beavercreek 2020 17:41.40

EMMA WATCKE Minster 2020 17:50.80

ALLISON JOHNSON Mount Gilead 2021 18:00.40

LINDSAY STULL Hilliard Davidson 2021 18:04.60

HOPE ERBACH Lebanon 2021 18:07.30

BAYLEE HACK Mount Gilead 2020 18:07.50
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-18, 02:58 PM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
I don't disagree with your assessments of the girls but be careful comparing the times of runners from different parts of the state. The NE Ohio kids generally run tougher courses than the kids in other parts of Ohio. Notice that your list is missing Olivia Howell of Solon, Juliette Keller of Medina, and a Highland girl whose name that I can't recall. Brunswick probably has some contenders as well. Everyone always sleeps on the NE Ohio runners.

From another thread, psycho wrote about the fixation on times. I agree. It's place that matters in XC. Milesplit is partly to blame for the pimping of times. It's always "John Doe runs the #1 time in the US!" or "Jane Doe has the fastest time in Ohio!" At the state meet it doesn't matter. I've heard parents talking at meets; "we need to get our times down if we're going to do well at State." They'll say this after the team just won a meet by a comfortable margin. I've heard parents tell their Little Suzies, "you're going to need to get your time down, Little Emma ran faster than you today." Never mind that Little Emma happened to run on a different course in a different part of the state and against different competition.

Unfortunately I have had to rely more on Milesplit lately although I will never subscribe. Finishtiming is great but it's now nearly impossible to get some archived results on Finishtiming without getting fed into an infinite loop to nowhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x26 View Post
Also nobody from Mason even with the seemingly short and fast Culver race in Indiana on their schedule.
Didn't Mason WIN the Culver Invitational? What's the problem? Again, it's PLACE that matters in XC.

Also, what is "seemingly short" supposed to mean? You know that the course is short how, exactly?

Last edited by Rohbino; 09-24-18 at 03:16 PM..
Old 09-24-18, 04:04 PM
Varsity

That's why I said seemingly on Culver. Odd that every runner picked up over a minute and some 2 minutes from a week ago. And they were not chasing because they dominated. Ullom is a great runner, very consistent and talented, but finished behind Erbach and ahead of Doerger at the Moeller. Doerger has been dropping time faster than her since then. Don't be sensitive, just an observation. I'm a Mason fan boy, just seems with a school this size and the socioeconomic base of students we would be better.

And I know about the North, Brunswick will compete as will another school or two. There is no doubt courses are different, and but untill they all come together times what you have to count on to get a baseline. Southern Ohio teams have dominated state, The Hilliard Davidson girls were at SNL and .....

Also I'm sure talent like Sprankle will be a force but with Bower off running at Liberty University, Olentangy will struggle to repeat their state run in my opinion.

So based on past results the top 10 is nothing crazy, like I said I just kind of expected the 3 I listed to be more in the mix especially since they were are the same race as most in the top 10. And I agree it's place that matters, but it takes time to get that place.
Old 09-24-18, 04:40 PM
Varsity

Oh and for the record, I think that by her Sr. year Bucher will run well under 17 minutes. You heard it her first. That girl is so impressive with how she's improving.
Old 09-24-18, 05:46 PM
All American

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Remember that Keller from Medina ran at Trinity last week in 18:52.

She was behind Ewert by 1:10. She was 6th which put her behind two Centerville and two Beavercreek runners.
She is tough especially after NXN last year. So maybe she starts off slow. No big deal. The preseason doesnít matter much. Itís all about October and November. I expect Keller and Howell to be in contention in November.

Not to start a regional war but the southwest girls historically the last 15 years- 20 years have had an edge on the rest of the state. Right now it is Centerville, Beavercreek and Mason which all are pretty close together. All 100% the richest communities in their respective parts of their cities. Nothing against coaches but itís a whole lot easier coaching country club sports in rich cities. XC is 100% country club.
Old 09-25-18, 07:03 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x26 View Post
That's why I said seemingly on Culver. Odd that every runner picked up over a minute and some 2 minutes from a week ago. And they were not chasing because they dominated. Ullom is a great runner, very consistent and talented, but finished behind Erbach and ahead of Doerger at the Moeller. Doerger has been dropping time faster than her since then. Don't be sensitive, just an observation. I'm a Mason fan boy, just seems with a school this size and the socioeconomic base of students we would be better.

And I know about the North, Brunswick will compete as will another school or two. There is no doubt courses are different, and but untill they all come together times what you have to count on to get a baseline. Southern Ohio teams have dominated state, The Hilliard Davidson girls were at SNL and .....

Also I'm sure talent like Sprankle will be a force but with Bower off running at Liberty University, Olentangy will struggle to repeat their state run in my opinion.

So based on past results the top 10 is nothing crazy, like I said I just kind of expected the 3 I listed to be more in the mix especially since they were are the same race as most in the top 10. And I agree it's place that matters, but it takes time to get that place.
What do you think the problem is?
Old 09-25-18, 07:52 AM
All Region

CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Another girl to keep an eye on for top ten at state is Lauren Mick from Toledo Notre Dame. Big win was at Tiffin in 18:08. She is a JR that is running CC for the first time after being an 800 (2:19) and 1600 (4:57) in track.
Old 09-25-18, 04:18 PM
All American

Rohbino is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by yj_runfan View Post
What do you think the problem is?
I'm very familiar with the Mason program. There is no problem. They'll be fine.
Old 09-26-18, 07:02 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohbino View Post
I'm very familiar with the Mason program. There is no problem. They'll be fine.
I have no doubt. I was wanting to know what 5x26 was thinking.