Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-16-18, 04:58 AM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
Northeast Ohio Season Overview

We are at the half way point of the season. Here is a quick peak of the season so far

1. Hudson undefeated on the year...They looked like a powerhouse the first several weekends. Saturday at Boardman the weather and maybe field conditions broke up their pack a little but they still won by 70 points in a 42 team field.

2. St Ignatius is looking very good in a rebuilding year. They should be a lock to qualify for Hebron

3. Massillon Jackson they had a hiccup against Kenston at Kenston, but beat Kenston at Boardman in a field similar to the regional field.

4. Kenston in a real rebuilding year the bombers have been the surprise of the area. They deserve to be in the position that they are in.

5. Solon has ran a solid schedule, and it has paid off. They seem to be getting better week to week.

Others. Mentor ( has been trying to get their line up together), Glen Oak ranked high on the NE Milesplit lust. Lake

To be honest this hasn’t been the strongest year for D1 boy’s in this area besides Hudson

Last edited by cvctrackfan; 09-16-18 at 11:53 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-18, 05:34 AM
All American

D2 Boy’s

1a. Woodridge is just the class of D2 boy’s year end year out. I don’t believe they have lost a Meet this season. They have taken on every D2 team so far except Bay.

1b. Bay got permission to move up to D1 at Boardman and they raced very well. They do match up well very well against Woodridge one thru four. This is too close to call.

3. SVSM is very strong in the front. Their 4 and 5 runners need to get a little better to beat the top two.

4. Salem they have slight edge over NDCL. The Quakers have a huge problem at five.

5. NDCL has a faster team then Salem.. But, right now several of their top runners need to get healthy .

Others Minerva seems to be the best of the rest. Tuslaw, has what it takes in the front but their rear needs to get better.......Right now I would say Lake Catholic could grab a spot has long as they come on like they did last year. Rocky River is rebuilding....

Last edited by cvctrackfan; 09-16-18 at 11:53 AM..
Old 09-16-18, 05:46 AM
All American

Boy’s D3

1. Gilmour Academy the strongest team 1 thru 4. Right now their #5 is out running the other top teams,

2. McDonald has just got to get healthier. They had a good plan to beat Gilmour at Spartan, they added some pieces and closed the gap from the previous weekend f

3. East Canton is very good at the top 3. Their problem is at a number five. They don’t the volume of runners to fill those gaps like McDonald

4. Mapleton I like them here because they will score four runners most of the season. And they are actually an improved team from last season.

5. Maplewood is going to get better as the season goes on. Right now they don’t have the punch up front like the top 3 teams.

Others the drop off is too large to consider any other teams except maybe Columbia or Norwayne

Last edited by cvctrackfan; 09-16-18 at 11:51 AM..
Old 09-16-18, 09:38 AM
All American

Girl’s D1

1. Medina they haven’t run head to head against Hudson yet. But, they are faster up front then the Explorers

2. Hudson has 3 wins at 3 varsity races ....they have an outstanding team with good pack racing near the front

3. Louisville there is nothing flashy about this team. They have consistent and solid the last few years.

4. Brunswick maybe ? With their up front talent they could be world beaters. Their biggest enemy is walking the thin line between excellence and injury.

5A and B Shaker Heights see Brunswick above / Jackson any year they have a good front runner they race in the State Meet...

The private schools are in a rebuilding phase and the other traditionaly strong public schools Kenston,Mentor, Chardon, Twinsburg, Wadsworth are having good weeks then bad weeks..

IMO a lot of teams are holding runners out for injury reasons or for training reasons. Everyone wants to be healthy and ready for the regional meet.
Old 09-16-18, 09:51 AM
All American

D2

1. SVSM it always comes down to them when Coach Howard is rebuilding.

After them I just don’t know.

The privates
Hawken and Beaumont they are both almost carbon copies of each other. They are great 1 thru 3 and maybe a good 4th runner. After that if anything goes wrong an average team could beat them in a large field.

The others

Poland very good up front. They should have enough big race experience to get it done when the time comes

Edgewood I’m going to guess they will be one of the teams advancing.

I really like Howland but, they followed a great run at Walsh with an average performance at Boardman.

Woodridge I don’t care that they finished 9th at Boardman. They will find a way to Be in the conversation

Aside from SVSM every other team in the regional has issues with their team depth or lack of strong front runners.

Last edited by cvctrackfan; 10-02-18 at 04:08 AM..
Old 09-16-18, 09:59 AM
All American

Girl’s D3

Gilmour okay okay I won’t say much about them

2. McDonald on a good day they are no doubt a top two team in the region

3A Maplewood yesterday showed their real weakness if they don’t run together as a team they can be beat by a lesser team.

3B Mineral Ridge a week I never would have thought they would have a good chance to advance

5.Lutheran West without their #3 runner it will a difficult task

Others waynedale, CCC, Independence (they showed a little fight yesterday) East Canton ( Their problem will never be coaching )
Old 09-16-18, 11:19 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Nice work, CVC!

Here's what I'm seeing on the Boys' side:

DI
I agree with your top 5 teams. Hard to see them not make state unless they get hit with injuries. It's very wide open for the final couple of team spots. I would add the following teams to your list:

Louisville - With 3 freshmen in their top 6, they might be a year away, but they've come through in the past under similar circumstances.

Highland - Beat GlenOak at all 5 spots on Sat. after being soundly beaten by them and a couple other teams at Jackson.

Brecksville - Their results so far this year indicate they'll have a shot.
Medina - Too good of a program to not see them in the mix by the end of the season.

University School - With Iler up front, and a bunch of other guys who can break 18:00, they have as much of a shot as anybody else on this list.

Hoover - Has gone back and forth with Lake the past couple weeks. Good frontrunner, pack needs to run better than they did on Sat.

DII
It'll be a heck of a race at the Lorain CCC district when Woodridge and Bay hook up. CVC, I feel pretty good about your top 5 teams. The scene quickly falls apart after that. It seems like only the top 4 or 5 teams have any quality depth. Who might get that 6th spot?

Minerva is in the East District, so scratch them from the conversation.

Tuslaw's 3-5 leaves a lot to be desired, and I'm a fan of the program they've built over the years. It won't hurt them as bad in a regional field that will be half the size of the invite. Many of the teams with guys running in the 19s and 20s won't be there to add points to Tuslaw's 3-5, but it's hard to envision a team that could potentially score 3 guys over 19:00 getting it done.

Lake Catholic has much of a shot as anyone else on this list. Notice that there are plenty more teams not on this list.

Tallmadge looks pretty decent to me. They'd be my pick right now. Much could change in 6 weeks though.

Fairview has had some good results so far this season.

Can't look past Lakeview either. I assume they'll log some time on the course during regional week.

DIII
The top 3 teams look pretty solid with Gilmour, McDonald, and East Canton. The 2 Maples will fight it out for the 4th spot with Mapleton having an early advantage with the individual favorite in their corner.

The hard part about this regional race is that there will only be 12 teams in it, so every place will be even more valuable. A bigger challenge might be trying to determine which 4 teams will advance from each of the 3 district meets.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 09-16-18 at 12:35 PM..
Old 09-16-18, 12:32 PM
All Yappi

Now, for the girls:

DI
Admittedly, this is easily the division and gender combo I follow the least closely, so I have nothing to add to CVC's thoughts at this time.

DII
SVSM is the cream of the NE crop. I also like what I'm seeing from Poland Seminary, Hawken, and Beaumont which has more depth than it showed at Boardman. Some Beaumont JVs ran at VASJ on Sat, and it appears all but the top 4 raced on Tuesday as well. That leaves 2 spots.

Edgewood, Hoban, and Field are very close to each other. Howland also showed how good they can be last Sat, so don't sleep on them. However, I still like Woodridge to grab 1 of those 2 spots and extend the streak of qualifying both boys and girls teams to state to 14 years. They might also have been a bit tired on Sat. from having raced on Tues. at the PTC Super Duals. I'm assuming at least 1 of Coach Howard's daughters will reappear by regionals.

DIII
Only 11 teams come into the regional, and only 3 get out. Scoring dynamics will be much different than the invitational. Gilmour and McDonald should snag 2 of those 3 state berths.

Mineral Ridge made an excellent showing on Sat. to announce their contention for the 3rd spot.

Hard to bet against Maplewood at this point though. I really like the extra depth they have at the 6th and 7th spots.

Throw Lutheran West's #3 from Tiffin into the lineup, and they could make it interesting. They still have some work to do at the 4 and 5 spots.

Canton CC may have 1 more card to play as well. They're still working to complete 8 meets...Some consistency at the 4 and 5 spots wouldn't hurt either. Several girls are starting to amass in that 5-8 range.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 09-16-18 at 12:45 PM..
Old 09-16-18, 12:33 PM
All American

In boy’s D3 right I like these 12 teams

Medina District

Gilmour
Mapleton
Columbia
Elyria Catholic.

Trumbull District

McDonald
Maplewood
VASJ
Bristol

GlenOak District

East Canton
Norwayne
Canton Central Catholic
Rootstown maybe

Then these 11 in D3

Medina District

Gilmour
Independence
Loudonville

Trumbull District

McDonald
Maplewood
Mineral Ridge
Pymatuning Valley I guess

GlenOak District

Probably the toughest to figure out

Waynedale
Lutheran East
Elyria Catholic
CCC

Then East Palestine

Last edited by cvctrackfan; 09-16-18 at 12:47 PM..
Old 09-16-18, 12:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvctrackfan View Post
In boy’s D3 right I like these 12 teams

Medina District

Gilmour
Mapleton
Columbia
Elyria Catholic.

Trumbull District

McDonald
Maplewood
VASJ
Bristol

GlenOak District

East Canton
Norwayne
Canton Central Catholic
Rootstown ?...
That looks about right to me. Smithville could upset the apple cart at Medina, and East Palestine could have a shot at GlenOak. You never know if anyone else might have soccer players available that day since the NE District always plays its boys sectional finals that day. DII and DIII boys soccer sectional finals are slated for 3pm. Not sure about other sites, but GlenOak/Malone usually runs the district races in the afternoon because of it traditionally being an ACT day. That could be a problem for some boys teams that have soccer players as contributors on the XC team. It's not an issue for the girls since their sectional finals are scheduled for Thursday of that week.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 09-16-18 at 08:37 PM..
Old 09-16-18, 04:55 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Bay boys are better than Woodridge right now and I think the last two spots from the Boardman Region in D2 would go to the JV squads from Bay and Woodridge. Woodridge JV's would have actually finished ahead of Tuslaw at Boardman putting them at 6th place. Not bad for starting scoring in the 50's. Bay's JV's would have been 12th. Still not too shabby. That's straight JV's and not starting with #6. That's starting at number 8-14. Both teams are set up real nice for next year as well.
Old 09-17-18, 08:26 AM
All American

If, Jeff and Steve could both send over 1 or 2 boys next fall, I would appreciate it...
Old 09-30-18, 10:56 AM
Varsity

ENA2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvctrackfan View Post
Girl’s D3

Gilmour okay okay I won’t say much about them

2. McDonald on a good day they are no doubt a top two team in the region

3A Maplewood yesterday showed their real weakness if they don’t run together as a team they can be beat by a lesser team.

3B Mineral Ridge a week I never would have thought they would have a good chance to advance

5.Lutheran West without their #3 runner it will a difficult task

Others waynedale, CCC, Independence (they showed a little fight yesterday) East Canton ( Their problem will never be coaching )

With only 11 teams, what teams qualify really does matter as that 3rd spot could be tight. Depth in DIII is hard to come by so Gilmour and MacDonald should be set. Maplewood may be the favorite for the 3rd spot, but having a #6 or #7 step up at the right time could change things. Last year Maplewood did it with a close pack, but a couple single digit scorers by another team could change that. Here's what I see.

At GlenOak: St. Thomas Aquinas may also still be in the mix with a "new" runner and a healthy "old" one. Getting out of the GlenOak District may be a challenge, but if five (or 6) teams are fully loaded (healthy), Lutheran West, Canton Central Catholic, Waynedale, East Canton and St. Thomas (maybe even East Palestine). This will as an exciting district meet that we have seen in sometime in DIII. Each could conceivably be 1st or 5th at the district...And any of these team could impact the Regional for that third spot

At Medina: After Gilmour and Independence...Kirtland, Dalton, or even Elyria Catholic, or Smithville could nab that 3rd spot. Loudonville could get 3rd or not have a full team. Whoever is 3rd here may finish 11th at Regionals, but those top kids could effect the battle for 3rd team spot.

At Trumball: McDonald, Maplewood and Mineral Ridge. Then...Py Valley and Badger (scoring only 4) could battle it out OR Grand Valley could field a whole team and sneak in due to a couple front runners.

This could be an exciting October for NE Ohio Girls in DIII.

Last edited by ENA2; 10-02-18 at 06:59 AM.. Reason: typo's
Old 10-01-18, 10:43 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
My prediction for GlenOak Boys d2 right now.

1. SVSM
2. Tuslaw
3/4. Springfield or Coventry, a coin toss as to who wins that battle.

The biggest outside threats to Coventry or Springfield are Lutheran West, Chippewa, Fairless, and West Branch. I think right now Coventry and Springfield are significantly favored over these teams.