Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-29-18, 02:08 PM
fullnelson fullnelson is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 01-01-08
Posts: 62
fullnelson is on a distinguished road
Portage Trail Conference

Any thoughts on the PTC this year?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 01-29-18, 05:45 PM
doyourbest doyourbest is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-24-14
Posts: 175
doyourbest is on a distinguished road
norton if healthy and cloverleaf
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-29-18, 10:15 PM
jmog jmog is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 05-11-12
Posts: 2,736
jmog is on a distinguished road
Any predictions per weight?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-29-18, 11:52 PM
doubleleg2 doubleleg2 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 01-08-18
Posts: 16
doubleleg2 is on a distinguished road
106- Crestwood
113- Streetsboro/ Crestwood/ Rootstown
120- Streetsboro/ Coventry
126- Woodridge/ Field/ Southeast
132- Rootstown/ Coventry/ Norton
138- Southeast/ Rootstown
145- Garrettsville/ Norton/ Streetsboro/ Rootstown
152- Woodridge/ Streetsboro/ Norton/ Garrettsville/ Coventry (deepest weight)
160- Cloverleaf/ Coventry/ Rootstown/ Garrettsville
170- Streetsboro/ Woodridge/ Springfield/ Cloverleaf (this one could go to any one of them)
182- Rootstown/ Cloverleaf
195- Cloverleaf/ Norton/ Crestwood (was told Crestwood 220 has dropped to 195)
220- Mogadore/ Rootstown/ Norton/ Cloverleaf
HVY- Woodridge/ Coventry/ Cloverleaf

Tournament Champion- Rootstown
League Champions- Rootstown/ Cloverleaf or Norton

Weight classes 106, 120, 138, & 182 are going to be the difference makers in the team scores. Each team is going to score bonus points where they should in the early rounds but the consi rounds and the bottom half placement wrestlers are going to keep this race close. It’s going to be interesting.

Remember...this is just for fun and for those of you wrestlers that read this daily, it’s not the true measuring stick. It means nothing. You gotta earn it on the mat! For those of you not mentioned in the weight classes above, you guys have nothing to loose. You will be the difference makers in the team points race. It’s great to be the underdog difference makers!

HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-30-18, 12:01 AM
doubleleg2 doubleleg2 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 01-08-18
Posts: 16
doubleleg2 is on a distinguished road
ADD to above- 132- Woodridge in the #3 spot. He’s earned it with his past weekend performance. Don’t know how i missed him.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-30-18, 12:48 AM
jmog jmog is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 05-11-12
Posts: 2,736
jmog is on a distinguished road
If Edwards goes 113 at PTC he should be listed, at 120 maybe/maybe not.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-30-18, 11:48 AM
doubleleg2 doubleleg2 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 01-08-18
Posts: 16
doubleleg2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
If Edwards goes 113 at PTC he should be listed, at 120 maybe/maybe not.
Agreed. He will definitely be in the mix either way. He has earned the right to be on the list. Another miss by me. There was a few others that I noticed I missed. Guess was up too late last night.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-08-18, 11:31 PM
doubleleg2 doubleleg2 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 01-08-18
Posts: 16
doubleleg2 is on a distinguished road
Norton upends Cloverleaf tonight 38-22 in front of an Electric atmosphere at Norton. Both teams had a great fan base tonight it what Norton hasn’t seen in years. It was Alumni night for Norton with 30+ Alumni in attendance and many said the gym was rocking just like when Norton beat Wadsworth in 1998 for a share of the Suburban League Tournament which was Wadsworth’s last league dual loss until this year. Match started at 195 weight class tonight with Norton bumping Williams to 220. Norton coach thought is was going to be needed just to win but with the lighter weights coming thru after forfeiting at 106, Norton won the race to 35 points to secure the duel meet win by the 145 weight class. This win puts Norton in a tie for the PTC County Title. Tough week ahead for Norton as they still have Ravenna next week along with Manchester then the PTC tournament next weekend. Cloverleaf said after the loss, they will be ready for the race to the title next weekend. It’s going to be interesting as Woodridge also wants to prove a point even with two losses as they want to win the tournament so don’t count them out. Good luck to all teams next weekend!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-09-18, 12:13 AM
doubleleg2 doubleleg2 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 01-08-18
Posts: 16
doubleleg2 is on a distinguished road
Meant to say in prior post “Suburban League Title”and also “PTC Metro Title”. Too late but wanted to post and didn’t pay attention. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-09-18, 07:53 PM
FirestoneFan FirestoneFan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-02-02
Location: Suffield
Posts: 5,192
FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleleg2 View Post
Norton upends Cloverleaf tonight 38-22 in front of an Electric atmosphere at Norton. Both teams had a great fan base tonight it what Norton hasn’t seen in years. It was Alumni night for Norton with 30+ Alumni in attendance and many said the gym was rocking just like when Norton beat Wadsworth in 1998 for a share of the Suburban League Tournament which was Wadsworth’s last league dual loss until this year. Match started at 195 weight class tonight with Norton bumping Williams to 220. Norton coach thought is was going to be needed just to win but with the lighter weights coming thru after forfeiting at 106, Norton won the race to 35 points to secure the duel meet win by the 145 weight class. This win puts Norton in a tie for the PTC County Title. Tough week ahead for Norton as they still have Ravenna next week along with Manchester then the PTC tournament next weekend. Cloverleaf said after the loss, they will be ready for the race to the title next weekend. It’s going to be interesting as Woodridge also wants to prove a point even with two losses as they want to win the tournament so don’t count them out. Good luck to all teams next weekend!
Great post doubleleg. Looks like it will be another exciting PTC Tournament this year. I have never missed one and there is always some kind of excitement, whether on the mat or in the stands. Rootstown has to be the favorite but Norton is looking very tough. Not to be facetious but I just read the PTC preview again. Is this really one of Mogadore's best teams ever? 5 SQ, 1 champ, 1 runnerup in 71 in AA. Hard to beat those old guys but most don't remember. I get reminded a lot since I am a friend of the Tompkins family.
On another note is Eugene Leanard still the coach at Norton? I used to do all the sectional rankings and knew all the coaches but the last two years age has caught up with me. Maybe I retire next year and start them up again.
As far as I know www.nwntv.com will be doing the PTC tournament live Friday and Saturday. Archived results going back to 2011 are still available to view. https://www.youtube.com/user/Isojedi

Good Luck to all wrestlers!!

Last edited by FirestoneFan; 02-09-18 at 08:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-09-18, 09:04 PM
350zjk 350zjk is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 02-09-10
Posts: 369
350zjk is on a distinguished road
On another note is Eugene Leanard still the coach at Norton?




Dan Staats (former Norton wrestler) is the present coach at Norton. Previously coached at Northwest H.S. where he did a nice job having some really good teams. The Northwest Sectional hasn't been one of the toughest the last couple years, but with Norton, Cloverleaf, Coventry, Louisville among others that, should change this year.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-09-18, 09:18 PM
FirestoneFan FirestoneFan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-02-02
Location: Suffield
Posts: 5,192
FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
Yes it should. I laugh when folks who don't know say any sectional leading Alliance is easy! I do remember Dan Staats. I used to wrestle at Field back in the day when both teams where in the Suburban but I think Mr Staats is a little younger than me.



Last years district finals were tough. From what I hear this year will be tougher.

Last edited by FirestoneFan; 02-10-18 at 02:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-10-18, 12:33 AM
jmog jmog is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 05-11-12
Posts: 2,736
jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestoneFan View Post
Not to be facetious but I just read the PTC preview again. Is this really one of Mogadore's best teams ever? 5 SQ, 1 champ, 1 runnerup in 71 in AA. Hard to beat those old guys but most don't remember. I get reminded a lot since I am a friend of the Tompkins family.
Good Luck to all wrestlers!!
You know you meant to be facetious just like you have in the past. You may want to read the preview a third time to see what was actually said. There were four qualifying words in the quote. I will capitalize them for you to make them easier to pick up on.

“IF we stay healthy and IF we wrestle to our potential this COULD be ONE OF the the best Mogadore teams ever.”

The statement was right after a statement about how good the current freshman class is. And to be honest next year’s freshman class is even better. There is a reason those two classes became the first Mogadore team at either level (JH or HS) to ever win a league title last year at JH PTC.

Not exaggerating that next year Mogadore will probably have 10 out of 14 weight classes filled with good sophomores and freshman.

The fact is, the statement “this IS the best Mogadore team ever” was never made, reread the article.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-10-18, 02:53 AM
FirestoneFan FirestoneFan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-02-02
Location: Suffield
Posts: 5,192
FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
I do agree jmog and I am rooting for the Wildcats to do good things. Numbers have hurt Mogadore in recent years (as they have a lot of PTC teams. A good youth program is the best start and from what I hear it is in place.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-10-18, 03:17 AM
FirestoneFan FirestoneFan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-02-02
Location: Suffield
Posts: 5,192
FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
HUDSON 41, CRESTWOOD 33
106: B. Szuhay (C) pin Hartie, 3:36. 113: Savoca (C) pin Davis, 1:06. 120: Ondash (C) pin Buerien, 1:00. 126: Morganstern (C) maj. dec. Mileski, 10-0. 132: Tayerle (C) won by forfeit. 138: Fultz (H) maj. dec. Ober, 11-3. 145: Jackson (H) dec Szuhay, 3-2. 152: Swert (H) won by forfeit. 160: Coleman (H) pin Tyrell, 0:50. 170: Canigila (H) won by forfeit. 182: McGinnis (H) maj. dec. Oborn, 11-3. 195: Garrison (H) pin Langford, 1:40. 220: Novotny (C) pin Nord, 5:30. 285: Peeples (H) won by forfeit.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-10-18, 04:00 AM
FirestoneFan FirestoneFan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-02-02
Location: Suffield
Posts: 5,192
FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
Springfield 40, GlenOak 30
106: Forfeit. 113: Forfeit. 120: Harrison (S) maj d. Kiley 10-0. 126: Harrison (S) won by forfeit. 132: Cain (S) p. Wickline 4:10. 138: Chapman (S) p, Styler 2:16. 145: Davidson (S) p. Dearth 1:00. 152: French (GO) p. Henderson 1:30. 160: Wyatt (S) p. Byrd 1:00. 170: Logan (S) p. Swift 1:17. 182: Corrick (S) won by forfeit. 195: Szerokman (G) p. Delisi 1:49. 220: Ady (GO) won by forfeit. 285: Nash (GO) p. Adkins 1:59.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-10-18, 09:12 AM
doyourbest doyourbest is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-24-14
Posts: 175
doyourbest is on a distinguished road
Ptc always a fun and packed gym
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-10-18, 09:46 AM
jmog jmog is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 05-11-12
Posts: 2,736
jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestoneFan View Post
I do agree jmog and I am rooting for the Wildcats to do good things. Numbers have hurt Mogadore in recent years (as they have a lot of PTC teams. A good youth program is the best start and from what I hear it is in place.
Due to the youth, mogadore’s HS numbers are actually way up over the last 4 years and will be even bigger next year with 8 or 9 incoming freshman. The HS could have close to 30 wrestlers next season.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-10-18, 09:33 PM
FiredUp1 FiredUp1 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 12-19-15
Posts: 37
FiredUp1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestoneFan View Post
Great post doubleleg. Looks like it will be another exciting PTC Tournament this year. I have never missed one and there is always some kind of excitement, whether on the mat or in the stands. Rootstown has to be the favorite but Norton is looking very tough. Not to be facetious but I just read the PTC preview again. Is this really one of Mogadore's best teams ever? 5 SQ, 1 champ, 1 runnerup in 71 in AA. Hard to beat those old guys but most don't remember. I get reminded a lot since I am a friend of the Tompkins family.
On another note is Eugene Leanard still the coach at Norton? I used to do all the sectional rankings and knew all the coaches but the last two years age has caught up with me. Maybe I retire next year and start them up again.
As far as I know www.nwntv.com will be doing the PTC tournament live Friday and Saturday. Archived results going back to 2011 are still available to view. https://www.youtube.com/user/Isojedi

Good Luck to all wrestlers!!
"I get reminded a lot since I am a friend of the Tompkins family" My husband and I are on the floor rolling around laughing hysterically. That is funny. Patsy Tompkins their mother and grandmother is beautiful woman. She is the grandmother of Mogadore.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-11-18, 05:42 AM
FirestoneFan FirestoneFan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-02-02
Location: Suffield
Posts: 5,192
FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
ROOTSTOWN 57, TALLMADGE 18
106: double forfeit. 113: Kline(R) dec. Berry(T), 7-1. 120: Edwards(R) pin Heatwall(T), 1:57. 126: Kanatzar(T) pin Youngblood(R), 0:51. 132: Chilson(R) won by forfeit. 138: Duvall (R)won by forfeit. 145: Jenkins(R) tech. fall Rickenbacker(T), 15-0. 152: Schoepe (R) forfeit. 160: Kanatzar(T) pin McKibben(R), 2:38. 170: Anderson(R) dec. Eyre(T), 6-4 OT. 182: Langguth(R) won by forfeit. 195: Boyle(R) maj. dec. Blankenship(T), 15-4. 220: Goforth (R) won by forfeit. 285: Whitehurst(T) pin Deangelis(R) 0:59.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-12-18, 03:49 PM
Akronviper Akronviper is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 02-10-16
Posts: 30
Akronviper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmog View Post
Due to the youth, mogadore’s HS numbers are actually way up over the last 4 years and will be even bigger next year with 8 or 9 incoming freshman. The HS could have close to 30 wrestlers next season.
I agree with Jmog, not this year though, team is too young and way too thin. I would guess that only Skye at 220 has a shot at First Place. I think we will see the younger Skye reach the podium along with Penix.

As far as years to come I think these next 4 years are going to be the best wrestling teams out of Mogadore. It may be hard to compete with the State Titles of the Tompkins and Murphys but this middle school team combined with the current freshmen have what it takes to put up some wins!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-12-18, 04:26 PM
chinwhip chinwhip is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 03-14-11
Location: Panther town
Posts: 790
chinwhip is on a distinguished road
I’d be surprised if anyone gets a takedown on Chilson 132 Rootstown. My boy bumped up and wrestled him last weekend and he’s slicker than goose poop on Teflon
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-12-18, 07:51 PM
jujutsuguy219 jujutsuguy219 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-23-11
Posts: 199
jujutsuguy219 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestoneFan View Post
Yes it should. I laugh when folks who don't know say any sectional leading Alliance is easy! I do remember Dan Staats. I used to wrestle at Field back in the day when both teams where in the Suburban but I think Mr Staats is a little younger than me.



Last years district finals were tough. From what I hear this year will be tougher.
Dan graduated in 1987 I believe. He had an older brother that wrestled at Norton as well who was about 4 years older and graduated in 1983.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-12-18, 08:58 PM
doubleleg2 doubleleg2 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 01-08-18
Posts: 16
doubleleg2 is on a distinguished road
Dan Staats was Norton’s last State Champ in 1988. He went on to wrestle at West Virginia University and came back to the area and began teaching at Northwest HS in Canal Fulton. He had multiple state champs including Villers and Butzer and multiple palaces like the other Villers, McAvenew, Griffin’s, and many more. He won the Bill Dies with some of those teams and went back to Norton’s Youth Program in the mid 2000’s to help rebuild it. He then took over after Coach Eugene Leonard retired two years ago and is a good job and is growing the program. He is a great guy and a very well liked and respected coach.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-13-18, 04:28 AM
Boro Fan Boro Fan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-23-07
Location: Reminderville
Posts: 9,933
Boro Fan is on a distinguished road
My preview can be found here http://www.borofanohio.net/final-week
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-13-18, 05:55 AM
spladlemaster spladlemaster is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: 09-13-17
Posts: 33
spladlemaster is on a distinguished road
Boro, I think Crestwood is still in the PTC.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-13-18, 06:44 AM
jmog jmog is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 05-11-12
Posts: 2,736
jmog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro Fan View Post
My preview can be found here http://www.borofanohio.net/final-week
Yeah, you are missing Crestwood.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-13-18, 02:20 PM
Boro Fan Boro Fan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-23-07
Location: Reminderville
Posts: 9,933
Boro Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spladlemaster View Post
Boro, I think Crestwood is still in the PTC.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-13-18, 03:00 PM
FirestoneFan FirestoneFan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 04-02-02
Location: Suffield
Posts: 5,192
FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
Not sure on your 113 pick as Kline (Rootstown's backup) beat Savoca (Crestwood) 8-2 in their dual last week. Could have been some extenuating circumstances (illness, etc). No box score but here is the article from the Record-Courier.

http://www.record-courier.com/sports...ounty-division

Here is the article on the Woodridge/Streetsboro match as well.

http://www.record-courier.com/sports...-in-final-dual
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-13-18, 05:52 PM
Boro Fan Boro Fan is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-23-07
Location: Reminderville
Posts: 9,933
Boro Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestoneFan View Post
Not sure on your 113 pick as Kline (Rootstown's backup) beat Savoca (Crestwood) 8-2 in their dual last week. Could have been some extenuating circumstances (illness, etc). No box score but here is the article from the Record-Courier.

http://www.record-courier.com/sports...ounty-division

Here is the article on the Woodridge/Streetsboro match as well.

http://www.record-courier.com/sports...-in-final-dual
Thanks! I was not aware of that result, but I hear Edwards and Kline may switch for this weekend...that move now makes more sense.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Portage Trail Conference - County Division OH Hoop News Girls Basketball 1 12-15-17 04:29 PM
Portage Trail Conference - Metro Division OH Hoop News Girls Basketball 1 12-01-17 12:50 PM
Portage trail conferance (PTC) devilcat Football 3 08-27-17 09:32 AM
Portage Trail Metro (Week 1) Yappi Football 0 08-15-17 09:17 PM
Portage Trail Conference All-Stars shine to end 2017 Yappi Baseball 0 05-28-17 01:17 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz