Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-03-18, 09:36 PM
All World

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
Winton Woods had West down 13 going into thee 4th qtr of their game earlier in year and lost by one. Apparently Winton Woods canít put a team away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely correct--also 3 technicals on WW in the 4th quarter also contributed to the melt-down by the Warriors--they need to control their comments to refs and emotions to finish out a game. OH just doesn't quit--came from 8 down with 2:30 to go at West and down 16-2 to East to win that game at OH.

Should be a hard-fought game at Mason on Friday!
Old 01-03-18, 09:41 PM
All Ohio

firehawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCountry View Post
Absolutely correct--also 3 technicals on WW in the 4th quarter also contributed to the melt-down by the Warriors--they need to control their comments to refs and emotions to finish out a game. OH just doesn't quit--came from 8 down with 2:30 to go at West and down 16-2 to East to win that game at OH.

Should be a hard-fought game at Mason on Friday!

Yes I was at the West game with Oak Hills when they came back. West aided them with some missed free throws but it was still a great comeback as they turned up the pressure in those last minutes and forced West into some rushed shots and turnovers. The next night West then had their comeback against Winton Woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-18, 09:54 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
I think many of us might have underestimated just how good the league is top to bottom this year compared to the rest of the city. You have Moeller and Princeton as far and away better then everyone, but after that it's the GMCs 5 or 6 teams, X and LaSalle, and probably Walnut and Withrow in a close mix.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Old 01-03-18, 10:51 PM
All World

Here's Division 1 records for the Cincy Sectional as of 1/3/18--
Teams with 6 or more wins are Princeton (8), Walnut Hills (8), Mason (7), Moeller (7), Milford (6), Oak Hills (6), West Clermont (6), and St. X (6)--20 teams with 2-5 wins right now--who can get hot to move up with top 8?

Anderson -- 2-7
Archbishop Moeller -- 7-3
Colerain -- 2-4
Edgewood -- 3-5
Elder -- 4-5
Fairfield -- 4-5
Hamilton -- 4-4
Harrison -- 2-6
Kings -- 0-8
Lakota East -- 4-5
Lakota West -- 3-5
LaSalle -- 3-4
Little Miami -- 4-5
Loveland -- 4-4
Mason -- 7-0
Middletown -- 2-6
Milford -- 6-1
Mount Healthy -- 3-6
Northwest -- 4-4
Oak Hills -- 6-3
Princeton -- 8-0
St. Xavier -- 6-3
Sycamore -- 4-4
Talawanda -- 3-6
Turpin -- 1-7
Walnut Hills -- 8-2
West Clermont -- 6-2
Western Brown -- 5-3
Western Hills -- 1-8
Wilmington -- 4-4
Winton Woods -- 3-4
Withrow -- 5-4

Last edited by CometCountry; 01-04-18 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-04-18, 12:03 AM
Freshman

Jump21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rick View Post
Power Rankings:
#1-Vikings-a loss coming soon?
#2-4-No particular order East, Mason, and OH (OH at Mason Friday)
#5-Sycamore-can they beat East in the Hangar?
#6-Fairfield-will they play slow tempo vs Vikes?
#7-Hamilton-
#8-West-Can they take down the Blue in Hamilton? We can then read the Hamilton's coach expert analysis about what West does well.
#9-Middletown-how are the Middie faithful?
#10-Cards-Huge game at Middletown Friday for the battle of dwellers....
Okay I'm new here so help me understand the thinking...

I'm with everyone on Princeton #1. I concur with East and Mason 2&3. Although East seems to rely a little heavy on 1 player the game I saw. OH is likely 4 but I saw the OH West game and have some doubt about OH. Regardless, thats probably the top 4.

Now here is my question... If sycamore beat hamilton and West beat Sycamore then why don't you feel West is above syc and ham? I saw FF struggle v Kings and heard West handled Kings easily. West at #5?

Just looking at gmc site... West has Ham and Fairfield coming up Friday and Tuesday.

Also I haven't seen Middletown or the new gym. Ton of great history there. For those of you in the know does Middletown make a run anytime soon?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-18, 08:08 AM
All Ohio

Vike16 is on a distinguished road
Just started a new GMC Pick'EM from this point to the end of the season. Added a margin of victory bonus points. If you pick the right margin of victory you get a extra 4pts

Hopefully this can draw more posters than 5. Would love to get it to at least 10 posters
Old 01-04-18, 12:27 PM
All World

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
jump21, West has performed better than I expected. Like many of us I do miss some things and check out because I do have to work. I just saw West beat SHS head to head a couple weeks ago. We'll see how the game Friday goes but won't shock me to see West beat the little blue.
Old 01-04-18, 12:30 PM
All World

How did Colerain fare on their trip to Michigan?
Old 01-04-18, 01:14 PM
All World

Quote:
No results listed for Colerain playing in Michigan on the GMC website yet from 12/28 and 12/29
Old 01-04-18, 01:27 PM
All District

Vinegar is on a distinguished road
Heard Princeton is applying to ECC for sure....can anybody confirm? Would be interesting for a founding GMC member to do that.
Old 01-04-18, 01:41 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegar View Post
Heard Princeton is applying to ECC for sure....can anybody confirm? Would be interesting for a founding GMC member to do that.
I have heard that is true--Princeton and Little Miami to make ECC a 10 team league--I think Princeton sees the enrollment decline matching athletically with the ECC #'s better--West Clermont #'s could indicate them replacing Princeton in the GMC.
Old 01-04-18, 04:34 PM
Freshman

Quote:
jump21, West has performed better than I expected. Like many of us I do miss some things and check out because I do have to work. I just saw West beat SHS head to head a couple weeks ago. We'll see how the game Friday goes but won't shock me to see West beat the little blue.
Based on the pickem entries it appears that west is just "better than expected" from the other posters to. Nobody is sold on them. I'll see them again when they come to Hamilton Friday.

Old 01-04-18, 09:36 PM
Junior Varsity

Justice is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Piggybacking on Football Discussion about GMC and staying the same or expanding:

GMC Basketball Records Under Current 10 Team League Beginning 2007-08 Season:

#1--Mason 99-47 with 2 titles in 2015, 2016--7 seasons winning GMC record
#2--Middletown 97-49 with 3 titles in 2012, 2013, 2014--8 seasons winning GMC record
#3--Princeton 90-56 with 3 titles in 2008, 2009, 2010--6 seasons winning GMC record
#4--Lakota East 88-58 with 2 titles in 2011, 2015--6 seasons winning GMC record
#4--Lakota West 88-58 with 1 title in 2013--6 seasons winning GMC record
#6--Oak Hills 77-69 with 2 titles in 2008, 2017--3 seasons winning GMC record
#7--Fairfield 72-74 with 2 titles in 2013, 2014--5 seasons winning GMC record
#8--Sycamore 45-101 with 1 title in 2013--1 season winning GMC record
#9--Hamilton 43-103 with 0 titles--0 season winning GMC record (8-8 last year best)
#10--Colerain 31-115 with 0 titles-- 1 season winning GMC record

8 of the 10 GMC schools has celebrated at least 1 championship/co-championship and no more than 3 titles from 2007-08 thru 2016-17 which indicates the eb and flow of having strong classes and weaker classes--certainly a much different situation than what has existed with the football dominance of Colerain for so many years.

Princeton, Middletown, Fairfield and Mason all won their titles in consecutive seasons which shows how difficult it is to win consecutive championships and then bounce back and get another one.

Does the GMC need to add two schools and split into 2 six team divisions based on size or stay at the number 10 and hope that Sycamore, Hamilton and Colerain can move more into the middle of the pack and make the GMC better from top to bottom--certainly don't want anything close to the GWOC set-up--been a long time GMC fan since 1967 and would love to see great games every night from all 10 schools.
The GMC remains an excellent league.
Old 01-05-18, 09:09 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
They went 1-1 on the trip. They beat Jalen Rose Aca. by 30 points
Old 01-05-18, 09:12 AM
All World

Okay on the Cards, Jalen Rose Academy has no future Jalen Rose's.
Old 01-05-18, 09:14 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
I have heard that is true--Princeton and Little Miami to make ECC a 10 team league--I think Princeton sees the enrollment decline matching athletically with the ECC #'s better--West Clermont #'s could indicate them replacing Princeton in the GMC.
I think this would be a horrible decision
Old 01-05-18, 10:12 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vike16 View Post
I think this would be a horrible decision
I think Princeton has to consider what would be best for all sports and competing for championships across the board. Personally I'd hate to see one of the founding members of the GMC leave, but enrollment #'s dictate at least Princeton looking at the ECC for the future.

I also heard that Sycamore made a last minute application to the ECC, after originally saying they are staying in the GMC. That could be interesting whether the ECC would take all 3 and then a current member would be not brought back??
Old 01-05-18, 12:49 PM
All World

I know there are some GMC schools that aren't thrilled with total sports programs of a few schools. For them the ECC could be a better fit.
Old 01-05-18, 01:56 PM
All District

ECC.....If Sycamore applies, they are first choice. If Little Miami, Princeton and Winton Woods apply, who is the final choice?
Old 01-05-18, 02:24 PM
All World

Quote:
ECC.....If Sycamore applies, they are first choice. If Little Miami, Princeton and Winton Woods apply, who is the final choice?
I can see 3 schools--Princeton and Little Miami who applied early in the process and Sycamore who waited for the deadline to be accepted and then West Clermont (due to large #'s) or Withrow (unable to field teams in all sports) being asked to find another league. Winton Woods not a chance due to not fielding teams at all levels, especially freshman sports--just my opinion at this point.
Old 01-05-18, 04:17 PM
All District

Application deadline is 2 months away. Would be surprised if anybody has applied yet.
Old 01-05-18, 09:57 PM
All World

Quote:
Application deadline is 2 months away. Would be surprised if anybody has applied yet.
Oh they have--
Old 01-05-18, 10:06 PM
Junior Varsity

bballlife89 is on a distinguished road
A few of you on here were talking about "upcoming loss for vikings"
Should have been talking about the comets.
Old 01-05-18, 10:18 PM
All World

Very good game at Mason Arena tonight as Oak Hills, with just 6 players due to illness, knocked off the undefeated Mason Comets 61-52 in OT. OH definitely missed 6th man Marcus Dockery who was coming off a 15 point effort vs. LaSalle on Saturday, but strong coaching by OH staff had the Highlanders fight back from trailing 37-29 heading into the 4th qtr and led at 46-44 with 5.8 seconds to go. Mason's Tanner Knue was fouled shooting a lay-up with 0.3 to play and sank both free throws to send it it to OT at 46 all.

OH then made 1 basket and 13 free throws in OT as the Comets had Pedelty, Knue, and Long all foul out. Mason drops to 7-1 and 4-1 in the GMC while OH moves to 7-3 and is also 4-1 in the GMC. Mason plays undefeated Princeton at home next Tuesday to try to move back into a tie for first place.
Old 01-05-18, 10:45 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Very good game at Mason Arena tonight as Oak Hills, with just 6 players due to illness, knocked off the undefeated Mason Comets 61-52 in OT. OH definitely missed 6th man Marcus Dockery who was coming off a 15 point effort vs. LaSalle on Saturday, but strong coaching by OH staff had the Highlanders fight back from trailing 37-29 heading into the 4th qtr and led at 46-44 with 5.8 seconds to go. Mason's Tanner Knue was fouled shooting a lay-up with 0.3 to play and sank both free throws to send it it to OT at 46 all.

OH then made 1 basket and 13 free throws in OT as the Comets had Pedelty, Knue, and Long all foul out. Mason drops to 7-1 and 4-1 in the GMC while OH moves to 7-3 and is also 4-1 in the GMC. Mason plays undefeated Princeton at home next Tuesday to try to move back into a tie for first place.
Tremendous win for Oak Hills
Old 01-05-18, 10:51 PM
Freshman

West laid an egg. Hamilton crushed them.

Old 01-05-18, 10:53 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump21 View Post
West laid an egg. Hamilton crushed them.

You know... that came out wrong. Doesn't give Hamilton proper credit. Hamilton played very well.

Old 01-06-18, 01:31 AM
All World

JBaller
Quote:
I think Princeton has to consider what would be best for all sports and competing for championships across the board. Personally I'd hate to see one of the founding members of the GMC leave, but enrollment #'s dictate at least Princeton looking at the ECC for the future.

I also heard that Sycamore made a last minute application to the ECC, after originally saying they are staying in the GMC. That could be interesting whether the ECC would take all 3 and then a current member would be not brought back??
I would be very surprised to see Sycamore leave the GMC unless the GMC as we know it will dissolve or experience significant changes. I honestly don't know what is going on behind the scenes.

Certain schools feel like they have affiliations with other schools in the league or other leagues that they would like to continue to compete with. The Lakotas and Mason have a natural affiliation being wealthy school districts, being contiguous to one another, having high enrollments, and room to grow.

Fairfield and Hamilton are also naturally tied together due to their extremely close proximity and massive sizes, but they are not nearly as well off as the Lakotas and Mason, Hamilton especially so.

Oak Hills can be tied in with Fairfield and Hamilton due to their massive size. They are more well off than Fairfield and Hamilton, but not on the Lakota and Mason levels. Oak Hills traveling to Fairfield and Hamilton really isn't that far of a drive either. However, the major difference is that Oak Hills is fairly competitive across all sports whereas Fairfield and Hamilton sometimes struggle to even field teams.

Sycamore and Princeton are very interesting. Sycamore has very strong ties with Mason but is not nearly as big. They also have very strong ties with Princeton due to the district boundaries being so intertwined (some houses in the Princeton school district can see Sycamore HS) and the fact that both districts are entirely built out. Princeton is definitely the most demographically diverse school district in the Cincinnati area, but their connection to Sycamore and similar size enrollments I think makes them a package deal.

Colerain doesn't really fit with any of the other schools as currently constituted. The Northwest school district as a whole as pretty similar characteristics to Fairfield, but with the split high schools, the enrollment numbers simply don't match. A combined Northwest high school does make sense to fit with Fairfield, Hamilton, and Oak Hills.

The odd school out is definitely Middletown. The Middletown school district is not contiguous with any of the other GMC members and has declining population and enrollment. It is also probably the least wealthy school district in the conference and struggles in all sports, even football and basketball now.

IF there is conference turmoil, the following is what probably should happen, although I have no idea if it will:

Lakota West, Lakota East, Mason, Sycamore, and Princeton stick together and combine with West Clermont, Milford, and Walnut Hills to form a new Northeast and East Cincinnati suburbs conference of big schools for an 8 team conference. Springboro and Lebanon would be welcome to join as well to get to a 10 team league. I could see this conference reviving the old Eastern Hills League name.

Oak Hills, Colerain, Hamilton, and Fairfield join the Southwest Ohio Conference along with Winton Woods in a big school division to go with Harrison, Ross, Edgewood, Talawanda, Northwest, and Mt Healthy in an 11 team, 2 division conference. Eventually, Northwest works toward combining Colerain and Northwest and you get a 10 team, 2 division conference that works pretty well. The divisions would only matter in the football and basketball (crossover games could still be played in basketball), while I think the other sports would largely be pretty competitive even between the big schools and smaller schools.

Middletown finds a home in the GWOC American South Division with Trotwood-Madison, Fairborn, Xenia, Stebbins, and West Carrollton.

The ECC remains with Anderson, Turpin, Loveland, and Kings. They add Little Miami and then get Goshen and New Richmond from the Southern Buckeye Conference to be an 8-team league that is entirely D2 and D3 in football.
Old 01-06-18, 07:54 AM
All Ohio

CincyIllinifan is on a distinguished road
I guess I wouldn’t be surprised if any combination of Princeton, Middletown, or Hamilton were looking to leave the conference, but Sycamore? They more than hold their own across most sports in the GMC, especially given their size.

I’d hate to see any schools leave the GMC, but losing Sycamore would be a significant loss, IMO.
Old 01-06-18, 09:40 AM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
In my opinion, Middletown is the only one out of any of the schools people are talking about that really has no chance of a recovery in the GMC as it is built now. They are just too small and have shown that, unlike a Sycamore, they can't overcome that size advantage. I feel both Princeton and Hamilton can and will right the ship and will be able to stay competitive. I don't see them ever being a Mason, where they will dominate across the board year in and out, but I can see them being competitive across the board and even having some league championships in sports outside of football and basketball. I just can't see that same future for Middletown. Tradition aside, and I know that's easy for someone to say that doesn't have a storied history with the GMC like myself, I feel if any team would be best served with finding a more fitting home it is Middletown.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk