Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-07-17, 07:57 PM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
The sun could wobble a different way and it'd be good bye Earth. If that makes you paranoid, sucks to be you. lol.
You misunderstand my interest in this topic. It's not out of fear that the sun will wobble in a different way and we'll either end up toasted or freeze dried. It doesn't even remotely strike a paranoid bone in my body. I just think the whole concept of this kind of thing is interesting and very cool!

Now a massive alien invasion, well that's another matter!
Old 08-08-17, 08:00 AM
All Yappi

Watch as the Special Purpose Dexterous Manipulator (now that's a mouthful) installs the new Neutron Star observation device on the ISS:

https://www.space.com/37557-space-st...cer-video.html

NASA's Neutron star Interior Composition Explorer (NICER) was installed on the International Space Station in June 2017. This time-lapse video was created using cameras on the orbital lab and shows the orbital outpost's Special Purpose Dexterous Manipulator (SPDM), aka Dextre, transporting NICER.

And the video really is amazing, worth watching.
Old 08-08-17, 05:52 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
I'm looking forward to Astronaut Scott Kelly's new book "Endurance", which will be out sometime in October. It's about his year aboard the International Space Station. The latest National Geographic magazine had an excerpt from it. One thing he emphasized: nothing is easy without the assistance of gravity on the ISS...even simple stuff we take for granted, like putting on clothes, takes time, effort and concentration.
Old 08-08-17, 07:45 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
I'm looking forward to Astronaut Scott Kelly's new book "Endurance", which will be out sometime in October. It's about his year aboard the International Space Station. The latest National Geographic magazine had an excerpt from it. One thing he emphasized: nothing is easy without the assistance of gravity on the ISS...even simple stuff we take for granted, like putting on clothes, takes time, effort and concentration.
Thanks for the heads up BlackHawk, I'll be buying this book as soon as it gets to Barnes & Noble (yea I know I could order it at Amazon but I love those old brick & mortar book stores).
Old 08-09-17, 07:15 PM
All World

^^^Same. I love bookstores, unfortunately there aren't many left. In the Dayton-area: a couple Barnes and Noble, one Books & Co. and a few second-hand stores. That's about it.

The brief excerpt from Kelly's book was fascinating. Another thing he explained is how difficult and lengthy a process it is to dock space vehicles with the ISS, even routine re-stock missions. It's always a bit of a nail biter. Not much room for error.
Old 08-10-17, 07:52 AM
All Yappi

It's Back to the Future at NASA these days. It's hard to argue against the 60's being the most productive time for NASA in space and many of the ideas from that decade are being resurrected today:

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/0...ml#more-135400

John’s design is an air breathing nuclear thermal rocket propulsion cycle called the Nuclear Thermal Turbo Rocket improves payload fraction to Low Earth Orbit by a factor of 15-18 relative to State of the Art chemical rockets.

The proposed mission places a habitat for up to 2,000 persons at any Near Earth Orbit location for low mission expenditure. The habitat is equipped with up to full terrestrial gravity simulation, cosmic/solar radiation shielding, a thermal/electric power supply with beamed power capability and a powerful rocket transportation system.

He designs a lunar water mining machine and calculates the launches of lunar ice that inflate a 40,000 ton habitat.

Near Earth Object mining, solar power farming, or any other follow on use for such a habitat is possible.

Within 5 years after building our first nuclear thermal turbo rocket we could have earth like gravity and radiation protection for a nearly aircraft carrier population in space. Current long term space habitation in small stations, moon bases or Mars bases would not have full earth gravity and often have imperfect radiation shielding. Here the design has no sacrifices in gravity or radiation shielding. There is no question that longterm habitation in space would be safe in such a habitat because the gravity would be the same as Earth.

This is very cool stuff and the type of grand space designs that we desperately need to inject that spark of excitement we lost at the end of the moon missions. Check out the article as it has some great technical drawings of the habitats and rocket engines being proposed.

BTW thanks to Instapundit for the link: https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/
Old 08-10-17, 02:20 PM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Four earth-sized planets detected orbiting nearest sun-like star

https://news.ucsc.edu/2017/08/tau-ceti-planets.html
Old 08-10-17, 04:33 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Four earth-sized planets detected orbiting nearest sun-like star

https://news.ucsc.edu/2017/08/tau-ceti-planets.html
Wow, it's hard to keep up with all the new planets they keep finding! And it looks like we're living in an increasingly crowded stellar neighborhood.

Here's an excerpt from the article MB linked to:

A new study by an international team of astronomers reveals that four Earth-sized planets orbit the nearest sun-like star, tau Ceti, which is about 12 light years away and visible to the naked eye. These planets have masses as low as 1.7 Earth mass, making them among the smallest planets ever detected around nearby sun-like stars. Two of them are super-Earths located in the habitable zone of the star, meaning they could support liquid surface water.

Note the last sentence: two of these planets are in the "Goldilocks zone"!
Old 08-10-17, 04:54 PM
All Ohio

JoshuaRanch is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
Wow, it's hard to keep up with all the new planets they keep finding! And it looks like we're living in an increasingly crowded stellar neighborhood.

Here's an excerpt from the article MB linked to:

A new study by an international team of astronomers reveals that four Earth-sized planets orbit the nearest sun-like star, tau Ceti, which is about 12 light years away and visible to the naked eye. These planets have masses as low as 1.7 Earth mass, making them among the smallest planets ever detected around nearby sun-like stars. Two of them are super-Earths located in the habitable zone of the star, meaning they could support liquid surface water.

Note the last sentence: two of these planets are in the "Goldilocks zone"!
Lotr, all of this new evidence can only lead one to believe that of course there are other livable planets and species of living things on billions or even trillions of places in space. We are certainly not alone. What types of living organisms are they - a variant of ours. Maybe they are silicon based, or other forms of animals or huminoids, machine based - it could and is anything we could even imagine. It obviously exists. Will we ever connect to each other - eventually, yes, in 100's, thousands, a million years. Its possible that some are already connected. Or that some have already visited us on earth. But its impossible that it "DOESN'T" exist. Maybe the two ETs I saw a few years back with the waitress in Hooters will visit here again

Where/What does this continual revelation of other life say about our religious beliefs, our belief in a God, our belief that its only us?
Old 08-10-17, 05:14 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaRanch View Post
Lotr, all of this new evidence can only lead one to believe that of course there are other livable planets and species of living things on billions or even trillions of places in space. We are certainly not alone. What types of living organisms are they - a variant of ours. Maybe they are silicon based, or other forms of animals or huminoids, machine based - it could and is anything we could even imagine. It obviously exists. Will we ever connect to each other - eventually, yes, in 100's, thousands, a million years. Its possible that some are already connected. Or that some have already visited us on earth. But its impossible that it "DOESN'T" exist. Maybe the two ETs I saw a few years back with the waitress in Hooters will visit here again

Where/What does this continual revelation of other life say about our religious beliefs, our belief in a God, our belief that its only us?
I think your right JR. I suspect that we'll find the Galaxy is a bit like a tropical forest - filled with all sorts of diverse life occupying every niche conceivable.

Though I'm agnostic today I was raised Catholic and had a very wise priest teach our conformation class when I was 12 years old. I was a science fiction nut and I asked him what would happen to religion if we found intelligent extraterrestrial life. As I recall his answer was excellent and along the lines of: "if we find other intelligent races out among the stars it will only be more proof of the limitless nature & glory of God".

I think religion might actually do better as a result of discovering extraterrestrial life especially if these alien civilizations had a religious structure that was in any way similar to our beliefs.
Old 08-10-17, 06:06 PM
All World

Quote:

I think religion might actually do better as a result of discovering extraterrestrial life especially if these alien civilizations had a religious structure that was in any way similar to our beliefs.
Since this thread took a religious turn, I'll put in my 2 cents.

ET's having similar religious beliefs wouldn't be any more convincing to me than the various similar religious beliefs that we already have on Earth. That might actually complicate things: advanced aliens with their own superstitions, claims and myths, now competing with our numerous versions.

Evidence, on the other hand, would go a long way to finally settle mankind's most important questions: Where did we come from? How did we get here? Are we alone?

If they were far more advanced than humans, maybe they would have some evidence for god(s)...one way or the other. Would the evidence be enlightening? Or frightening?
Old 08-10-17, 08:57 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Since this thread took a religious turn, I'll put in my 2 cents.

ET's having similar religious beliefs wouldn't be any more convincing to me than the various similar religious beliefs that we already have on Earth. That might actually complicate things: advanced aliens with their own superstitions, claims and myths, now competing with our numerous versions.

Evidence, on the other hand, would go a long way to finally settle mankind's most important questions: Where did we come from? How did we get here? Are we alone?

If they were far more advanced than humans, maybe they would have some evidence for god(s)...one way or the other. Would the evidence be enlightening? Or frightening?
I think this is a very good question to be discussing on this thread. My guess is that religious belief (or lack thereof) would be one of the top 3 questions we would ask representatives of any alien civilization. And the answer to that question would have a profound impact on both ours and the Aliens culture.
Old 08-11-17, 06:23 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
ranchhand and lotr
Old 08-11-17, 07:16 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
ranchhand and lotr
Hey, I forgot to ask you EP but did you like the new "The Emoji Movie" that just came out?
Old 08-13-17, 07:50 AM
All Yappi

Here are a chain of articles that offer up a fascinating perspective on the likelihood that other technological civilizations are out among the stars:

https://phys.org/news/2017-08-implic...c-silence.html

So, where is everybody?

That's the Fermi paradox in a nutshell. Daniel Whitmire, a retired astrophysicist who teaches mathematics at the University of Arkansas, once thought the cosmic silence indicated we as a species lagged far behind.

"I taught astronomy for 37 years," said Whitmire. "I used to tell my students that by statistics, we have to be the dumbest guys in the galaxy. After all we have only been technological for about 100 years while other civilizations could be more technologically advanced than us by millions or billions of years."

Recently, however, he's changed his mind. By applying a statistical concept called the principle of mediocrity – the idea that in the absence of any evidence to the contrary we should consider ourselves typical, rather than atypical – Whitmire has concluded that instead of lagging behind, our species may be average. That's not good news.

In a paper published Aug. 3 in the International Journal of Astrobiology, Whitmire argues that if we are typical, it follows that species such as ours go extinct soon after attaining technological knowledge. (The paper is also available on Whitmire's website.)

By Whitmire's definition we became "technological" after the industrial revolution and the invention of radio, or roughly 100 years ago. According to the principle of mediocrity, a bell curve of the ages of all extant technological civilizations in the universe would put us in the middle 95 percent. In other words, technological civilizations that last millions of years, or longer, would be highly atypical. Since we are first, other typical technological civilizations should also be first. The principle of mediocrity allows no second acts. The implication is that once species become technological, they flame out and take the biosphere with them.

Here is a link to Whitmire's website where you can access the original scientific article he wrote and get more of his summary of his work:

http://realdanielwhitmire.wixsite.co...astrobiology-1

I think Whitmire offers up an interesting scenario as to why we haven't seen evidence of super advanced galactic civilizations all around us. The problem is that for all it's mathematical & statistical trappings with a dash of astrophysics thrown in we are simply to ignorant of the parameters involved to make anything more then a guess here. It might be as simple as existing galactic civilizations hide themselves from developing civilizations like our own and are forbidden to interact with us until we reach a certain stage in our development.

The truth is that at this stage of our knowledge speculative science FICTION probably offers us as many legitimate theories for the lack of apparent galactic civilizations as anything "real" science can offer up. Hopefully that will change as we continue to expand on our understanding of our stellar neighborhood.
Old 08-13-17, 06:00 PM
All World

Quote:

So, where is everybody?

That's the Fermi paradox in a nutshell. ...

... The problem is that for all it's mathematical & statistical trappings with a dash of astrophysics thrown in we are simply to ignorant of the parameters involved to make anything more then a guess here.
The Fermi paradox is always an interesting topic. And, as you suggest, we are merely speculating and making educated guesses.

My guesses:

The universe is just too huge, in both SPACE and TIME, for any species to traverse, even advanced civilizations. SPACE: Even our "theoretical" ideas for interstellar travel (wormholes, warp bubbles, etc.) may not be practical for any advanced species. And, if our science is right, not even advanced civilizations could violate the laws of physics and they, too, would be bound by such things as the speed of light. Also, even if some advanced civilizations could travel to other stars, they would likely be thousands or millions or billions of light years away....too far away to be concerned with planet Earth...they would be exploring closer and easier-to-reach planets and stars. TIME: They would have to live the same time we do (now!), not any of the 14 billion past years or the billions of future years. If Whitmire is right, that would be highly unlikely.

I also like the "Great Filter" hypothesis. The Great Filter lists steps in an evolutionary path which would lead to interstellar travel. Since we see no sign of advanced civilization then "according to the Great Filter hypothesis at least one of these steps — if the list were complete — must be improbable" (per Wikipedia) and acts as a great filter to prevent interstellar travel and colonization. Steps (incomplete) might include: 1.) the right star system (incl. the right planet, atmosphere, chemical elements, etc.); 2.) organic compounds; 3.) simple life evolving; 4.) complex life evolving; 5.) sexual reproduction; 6.) multi-cellular life evolving; 7.) intelligent tool using animals evolving; 8.) technological species evolving; and 9.) interstellar travel and colonization. The Great Filter argues since we see no signs of ET, then one or more of these steps must be highly unlikely. If this hypothesis is correct,, the million dollar question: which step?
Old 08-13-17, 06:10 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaRanch View Post
Sure it wasn't two TTs?
Old 08-14-17, 07:54 AM
All Yappi

Here is an excellent article about the improving success rate of Musk's SpaceX company and how bit by bit he's making progress towards reaching Mars:

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...acex-launches/

I love the illustrated scale showing how effective SpaceX has become both from a launch success rate and the number of launches in a year. It's a really nice graphical representation that indicates that when all is said and SpaceX may rule the Solar System by the end of the century.
Old 08-14-17, 01:28 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Why Future Earthlings Won't See Total Solar Eclipses

Quote:
"They appear to be the same size because of their distance away from us," explains Amber Porter, an astronomer at Clemson University, which is in the path of the upcoming eclipse. The diameter of Earth's moon is about 400 times smaller than the diameter of the sun, but "even though the moon is about 400 times smaller than the sun, it's about 400 times closer to us here on Earth, which is how that perfect kind of magic happens."

Because of this quirk, the tiny moon can obscure the entire face of the sun and reveal its eerie corona, at least right now. In the past, Earth's eclipses did not look like this.

"The size of the sun hasn't really changed over the age of Earth, but the moon has been moving away from Earth over eons. So in the past it looked bigger," says Matija Cuk, a planetary scientist at the SETI Institute.

The moon is still moving away from Earth, he says. Every year, it shifts outward about an inch-and-half.
Read more:
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...solar-eclipses
Old 08-14-17, 08:15 PM
All American

Now, this total eclipse has become a must-see for me.

Be sure to wear your ISO approved glasses to avoid potential, severe eye damage!
Old 08-14-17, 10:20 PM
All Yappi

One week to go before the eclipse. I wonder how weird it's going to get in the path of the total eclipse as the day approaches. My guess is there's going to be some interesting party's going on that day.
Old 08-15-17, 07:47 AM
All Yappi

Here's the link to a great blog that summarizes a lot of the best "space" stories in one place:

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/

Hey, any blog named "The Daily Galaxy" has to be great! Here's an example of all the good stuff at this blog:

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog...ve-s.html#more

Anything that talks about the TRAPPIST 1 solar system is of interest to me. This article reminds us that there are two parameters to consider when discussing the size of the universe - the first is DISTANCE while the 2nd is TIME as BlackHawk often reminds us. I know I tend to ignore the TIME parameter in favor of DISTANCE but TIME is very important here.

If we want to know more about whether life could survive on a planet outside our solar system, it’s important to know the age of its star. Young stars have frequent releases of high-energy radiation called flares that can zap their planets' surfaces. If the planets are newly formed, their orbits may also be unstable. On the other hand, planets orbiting older stars have survived the spate of youthful flares, but have also been exposed to the ravages of stellar radiation for a longer period of time.

Scientists now have a good estimate for the age of one of the most intriguing planetary systems discovered to date– TRAPPIST-1, a system of seven Earth-size worlds orbiting an ultra-cool dwarf star about 40 light-years away. Researchers say in a new study that the TRAPPIST-1 star is quite old: between 5.4 and 9.8 billion years. This is up to twice as old as our own solar system, which formed some 4.5 billion years ago.

It may be that life is ubiquitous throughout the Galaxy but over billions of years much of it has come and gone.
Old 08-15-17, 08:05 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Here's the link to a great blog that summarizes a lot of the best "space" stories in one place:

http://www.dailygalaxy.com/

Hey, any blog named "The Daily Galaxy" has to be great! Here's an example of all the good stuff at this blog:

Scientists now have a good estimate for the age of one of the most intriguing planetary systems discovered to date– TRAPPIST-1, a system of seven Earth-size worlds orbiting an ultra-cool dwarf star about 40 light-years away. Researchers say in a new study that the TRAPPIST-1 star is quite old: between 5.4 and 9.8 billion years. This is up to twice as old as our own solar system, which formed some 4.5 billion years ago.[/I][/B]
And a star that old and that ultra-cool? No wonder he still has planets who want to be in his circle.
Old 08-15-17, 05:18 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
Now, this total eclipse has become a must-see for me.

Be sure to wear your ISO approved glasses to avoid potential, severe eye damage!
I'm having a tough time finding solar eclipse glasses in the Dayton area. I tried a Wal-Mart (Miamisburg) and two Kroger's (Kettering)...all three said they are sold out and won't be getting any more. Totally bummed.

Will my 1960's vintage "genuine X-ray specs", that I ordered from the back of a comic book, work?

Last edited by BlackHawk; 08-15-17 at 05:31 PM.
Old 08-15-17, 05:27 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Why Future Earthlings Won't See Total Solar Eclipses

"They appear to be the same size because of their distance away from us," explains Amber Porter, an astronomer at Clemson University, which is in the path of the upcoming eclipse. The diameter of Earth's moon is about 400 times smaller than the diameter of the sun, but "even though the moon is about 400 times smaller than the sun, it's about 400 times closer to us here on Earth, which is how that perfect kind of magic happens."

400 times smaller?

I know what the person is trying to convey, but it's like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.
Old 08-15-17, 08:33 PM
All American

Cool

Quote:
I'm having a tough time finding solar eclipse glasses in the Dayton area. I tried a Wal-Mart (Miamisburg) and two Kroger's (Kettering)...all three said they are sold out and won't be getting any more. Totally bummed.

Will my 1960's vintage "genuine X-ray specs", that I ordered from the back of a comic book, work?
Sure...

*Don't try them!*: Ohno:

I listened just good enough to remember hearing Amazon has them (or did). There's still time though they aren't cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...=2NBMX6Z1ECWHA

Just checked. Even many of these are not available - but not all.
Old 08-15-17, 10:33 PM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not sure if this will help you, but: the Walmart near me in south Columbus still had them yesterday, my wife bought five pair for a buck each. They have the correct NASA spec printed on them.

Also, COSI in Columbus is sending teams to the library branches on Monday with glasses for the patrons.
Old 08-16-17, 04:03 PM
All Yappi

Now here's some topical information on how to tell if your eclipse sun glasses are actually safe! I guess there's a problem with counterfeit glasses:

http://www.popsci.com/fake-solar-eclipse-glasses

Anyone remember the odl movie & story "The Day of the Triffids"? It probably makes sense not to look at the eclipse just in case!

Old 08-16-17, 04:44 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Are the glasses just "dark" or are they poloarized? If polarized, you can take two of them rotate one in front of the other to see if light transmitted changes.
Old 08-17-17, 05:44 PM
All Ohio

JoshuaRanch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleGuy View Post
Sure it wasn't two TTs?
Eagleguy, thank you, you made me laugh and smile. My son was turning 18 at the time, and he and his buddies wanted to go, me and some of the older folk were along for the ride. I was just sitting there enjoying the scenery. Maybe it was 2 TTs that I saw, in their white strapped t tops and orange short shorts. I remember our waitress being very attractive and very attentive. So maybe my eyes WERE playing tricks on me. I will officially change what I saw to TT's rather than to ETs.

We just happened to show up that night when 2 of the gals that were working were also in the national calendar that Hooters puts out every year. We took some great pictures, had them sign their photos, got some great hugs and clutches in. It was a lot of fun. And the girls play it up big time for the money, strippers who keep their clothes on and serve you food and smile at you and act like they like you.

I go to a place called Charlestons at least once a week for business lunches. I go there because its great food, you can talk, the service is really good, and the waitresses are all good looking. Higher ended strippers in tight black serving outfits. Most either looking for big tips or sugar daddies. So lots of back rubs and back scratches and chest pokes. They should change the name to CharlesTTons.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: