Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-25-17, 01:10 PM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
Originally Posted by smash mouth 34 View Post
Laktash and who is the other one?
Check your PM's.
Old 04-28-17, 07:04 AM
All District

Money Ball is an unknown quantity at this point
I am expecting that a decision will be made by today, or already has been made and the powers that be just have not informed the Money Ball, or they are going to have a big retreat this weekend and come to a decision amongst the Ellet powerbrokers.

Still think Shuman. But have heard a few rumblings that they could go another direction because "they want to get to the NEXT LEVEL".
Old 04-28-17, 07:43 AM
All District

Irish02 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money Ball View Post
I am expecting that a decision will be made by today, or already has been made and the powers that be just have not informed the Money Ball, or they are going to have a big retreat this weekend and come to a decision amongst the Ellet powerbrokers.

Still think Shuman. But have heard a few rumblings that they could go another direction because "they want to get to the NEXT LEVEL".
LOL!!! You already know the "Old Man" was offered the job and he accepted it earlier this week. Hell, even I heard that! Hate to say it...But you were right all along!
Old 04-29-17, 11:09 AM
All American

Orangeman89
Shuman it is.
Congrats Joe, got what you wanted.
It's too bad, there were some good applicants that never got a fair shake.
Who will apply in 3 years?
Old 04-29-17, 11:58 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Old 04-29-17, 01:58 PM
All American

Orangeman89
Where are the Yost/Shuman apologists?
Convince me why Shuman is better than the other two finalists, Mike Laktash and Stow OC Martin Poder.
I've gotta know, someone talk me off the ledge and make some sort of sense out of it. Please!!!! lol
Old 04-29-17, 03:51 PM
All District

ALART!!!! ALERT!!! ALERT!!! ALERT!!!! ALERT!!!!!

Everyone please remove all of the rope, bed sheets, bungee cords, and anything else that Orangeman89 could possibly use to harm himself from his house!
Old 04-29-17, 03:51 PM
All District

Well, well, well. I will sit here with my Hot Dog Combo Deal at the North Canton Sam's Club and say I told you all so, but

" I TOLD YOU ALL SO."

Excuse me while I put up my umbrella...is it the Good Lord showering Northeast Ohio with much needed rainwater for our lawns and flowers, or is it Orangeman89's tears of having to pay for his son to go to Hoban??!

OPEN UP THE WALLET, Orange!! Denial is not a massive river in Africa, my friend! Hoban costs a ton of JACK a year! Home Equity Loan, maybe?

The Shuman Era has officially begin at Ellet!
Old 04-30-17, 11:37 AM
All District

While I have heard a lot of great things about Chuck Shuman, I find it very odd that APS would hire him. This cannot be anything else other than a short term coaching tenure. You think they would want to hire a full time APS employee and someone that will be there for the long term.
Old 04-30-17, 02:16 PM
All Yappi

Well, I guess nobody can say Shuman didn't wait his turn!
Old 04-30-17, 08:29 PM
All District

Just curious. How many HC's are full time APS employees?
Old 05-01-17, 06:41 AM
All District

Let's see...
Ellet- Retired
Garfield-Kenmore- Not
East- Not certain
North- Alternative School
Buchtel- Created a job for him- Yes
Firestone- Created a job for him- Yes
Old 05-01-17, 08:26 AM
All World

BigWorm can only hope to improve
Quote:
Let's see...
Ellet- Retired
Garfield-Kenmore- Not
East- Not certain
North- Alternative School
Buchtel- Created a job for him- Yes
Firestone- Created a job for him- Yes
East is APS
Old 05-01-17, 09:04 AM
All District

So 50%. That's better than I had expected.
Old 05-03-17, 06:36 AM
All Region

gatorade_1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeman89 View Post
Where are the Yost/Shuman apologists?
Convince me why Shuman is better than the other two finalists, Mike Laktash and Stow OC Martin Poder.
I've gotta know, someone talk me off the ledge and make some sort of sense out of it. Please!!!! lol
Jake Parson's was a finalist as well. He was a DC at Maple Heights when they won a State Championship, DC at McKinely, and the last two years he was at Strongsville where he played a huge part in getting their new field installed.

I wish Coach Shuman nothing but the best, he is a good person and has been loyal to Ellet/APS for a long time. I also feel that it is time for a younger coach to get a shot at leading the Orangemen. I love the fact that Ellet has had one coach for several generations and I know how hard Coach Yost and his staff worked, but I also think you owe it to the kids who go to Ellet a different and positive change. On same token in 3-5 years Ellet will most likely be looking for another head coach, and that doesn't make too much sense. I believe that younger coach will be able to relate to the players on more of a personal level, which would also help get more kids to come out. I would also think that a younger coach would be able to retain more athletes who might leave Ellet to go to Hoban/St.V, or even a different public school.

Like I said, I wish Coach Shuman, his staff, and The Ellet Orangemen nothing but the best but I think overall APS dropped the ball on this one.
Old 05-03-17, 07:08 AM
All District

Valid points, Gatorade. On the same token, even had they hired a younger guy, it doesn't mean that they wouldn't be looking for a new coach in 3-5 years like everyone is claiming. The young guy could have crashed and burned. Maybe he could have had tremendous success and been offered a bigger and better job making more jack because APS doesn't pay their coaches very well. The possibilities are endless, but for all of the negatives that people have thrown out here, I believe 2 primary reasons Shuman was selected to lead the Orangemen, and believe me, not necessarily in this order:

1) he is very qualified, knows the program, the kids, the community and more than anything else, the principal and AD at Ellet feel very comfortable with the selection; and

2) Coach Shuman was the easiest choice for APS being that he has already been in the system for 30+ years, they are familiar with him and he with them, and lastly, it required the least amount of work to get him there because he doesn't require a teaching position and they don't need to do any research on him or his resume, they already know him.

Whah-lah, I have given you the most complete breakdown of why Coach Shuman was selected and why he was the primary choice al along. Personally, I believe #2 was the primary reason, similar to the hiring for the Garfield-Kenmore position and Coach Boyd, already in the system, they know the man and the man knows the APS, and it was the least amount of work to get the process done. THAT is how APS works!
Old 05-03-17, 07:11 AM
All World

BigWorm can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorade_1 View Post
Jake Parson's was a finalist as well. He was a DC at Maple Heights when they won a State Championship, DC at McKinely, and the last two years he was at Strongsville where he played a huge part in getting their new field installed.

I wish Coach Shuman nothing but the best, he is a good person and has been loyal to Ellet/APS for a long time. I also feel that it is time for a younger coach to get a shot at leading the Orangemen. I love the fact that Ellet has had one coach for several generations and I know how hard Coach Yost and his staff worked, but I also think you owe it to the kids who go to Ellet a different and positive change. On same token in 3-5 years Ellet will most likely be looking for another head coach, and that doesn't make too much sense. I believe that younger coach will be able to relate to the players on more of a personal level, which would also help get more kids to come out. I would also think that a younger coach would be able to retain more athletes who might leave Ellet to go to Hoban/St.V, or even a different public school.

Like I said, I wish Coach Shuman, his staff, and The Ellet Orangemen nothing but the best but I think overall APS dropped the ball on this one.

This is not true. The only "finalists" were Laktash Shuman and OC from Stow
Old 05-03-17, 07:13 AM
All Region

Quote:
Valid points, Gatorade. On the same token, even had they hired a younger guy, it doesn't mean that they wouldn't be looking for a new coach in 3-5 years like everyone is claiming. The young guy could have crashed and burned. Maybe he could have had tremendous success and been offered a bigger and better job making more jack because APS doesn't pay their coaches very well. The possibilities are endless, but for all of the negatives that people have thrown out here, I believe 2 primary reasons Shuman was selected to lead the Orangemen, and believe me, not necessarily in this order:

1) he is very qualified, knows the program, the kids, the community and more than anything else, the principal and AD at Ellet feel very comfortable with the selection; and

2) Coach Shuman was the easiest choice for APS being that he has already been in the system for 30+ years, they are familiar with him and he with them, and lastly, it required the least amount of work to get him there because he doesn't require a teaching position and they don't need to do any research on him or his resume, they already know him.

Whah-lah, I have given you the most complete breakdown of why Coach Shuman was selected and why he was the primary choice al along. Personally, I believe #2 was the primary reason, similar to the hiring for the Garfield-Kenmore position and Coach Boyd, already in the system, they know the man and the man knows the APS, and it was the least amount of work to get the process done. THAT is how APS works!
I would tend to agree with you especially with your second point. I will say that the booster money could of helped when it comes to the coaches salary/stipends, and from what I know at least two of those guys if offered the job would of liked to stay at Ellet for a long time. No matter what we will never know, like I said I wish them nothing but the best.
Old 05-03-17, 07:53 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWorm View Post
This is not true. The only "finalists" were Laktash Shuman and OC from Stow
That is confirmed...There were ONLY 3 finalists. Shuman, Laktash, and Stow's OC. Parson's was not a finalist.
Old 05-03-17, 08:31 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish02 View Post
That is confirmed...There were ONLY 3 finalists. Shuman, Laktash, and Stow's OC. Parson's was not a finalist.
I was told that they had two rounds for interviews and he had a second interview, in which I though he would be a finalist. I stand corrected in regards to him being a finalist, but I still stand by the points I made in regards to them getting a younger coach at the helm. I appreciate the update...
Old 05-03-17, 08:36 AM
All Ohio

ROCKETBOOSTER is on a distinguished road
Nice article in the Beacon today regarding the new hire or lack there of. Congratulations to Ellet! They have a coach who cares about the program and has a lot of time and sweat equity into the program. He does need to refresh his staff and bring in new blood from time to time which he addressed in the article.
Old 05-03-17, 09:28 AM
All Yappi

Vassalotti also values loyalty. While you might question the hiring of a 68 year old Shuman, you certainly won't find a person more loyal to Ellet athletics.
Old 05-03-17, 10:24 AM
All Region

E.S. Furgeson is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKETBOOSTER View Post
Nice article in the Beacon today regarding the new hire or lack there of. Congratulations to Ellet! They have a coach who cares about the program and has a lot of time and sweat equity into the program. He does need to refresh his staff and bring in new blood from time to time which he addressed in the article.
I would guess he has put in more sweat equity than all his critics combined.
Old 05-24-17, 11:36 AM
All District

Haven't heard a peep about Ellet in awhile. Any news on Shuman's coaching staff and their positions or who Ellet will be playing week 5 and 6? Last I heard they still have openings for both weeks.
Old 05-24-17, 11:54 AM
All American

hdvhsmgr is on a distinguished road
Week 6 is home against Canton Central Catholic.
Old 05-30-17, 02:45 PM
All District

As far as the staff, I am going out on a limb here and saying it will be pretty muc hthe same as last year.
Old 05-30-17, 04:16 PM
All Region

SLAGuy is on a distinguished road
Is there a successor that is being groomed now? Good for Shuman but it's not going to be a long tenure.
Old 05-31-17, 09:34 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAGuy View Post
Is there a successor that is being groomed now? Good for Shuman but it's not going to be a long tenure.
Would have to think it would be Lacktash since he was a finalist.
Old 05-31-17, 10:46 AM
All American

Orangeman89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish02 View Post
Would have to think it would be Lacktash since he was a finalist.
We don't even know if he'll be on the staff yet.
Old 06-06-17, 06:44 AM
All District

Unless Shuman has a conflict with Laktash, I would think he would be on the staff.

One thing that I think people need to understand about the APS is that they tend to take the path of least resistance, the easiest route with regards to athletics. Boyd at the new Garfield-Kenmore, and Shuman at Ellet. As soon as Sax told them he had enough of being railroaded and lied to, while they said they were "opening up" the search for a new coach, they knew Boyd would be hired and not even the principal had any say-so. I am quite certain it is the same with Ellet. The comfort level is excellent with Shuman, they know what to expect from him and he knows the kids and community.