Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-28-17, 12:37 AM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Gregg Allman, Southern Rock Pioneer, Dead at 69

Quote:
Gregg Allman, the singer, musician and songwriter who played an essential role in the invention of Southern rock, has died at the age of 69. Allman's rep confirmed to Rolling Stone that the artist died Saturday afternoon.

Allman "passed away peacefully at his home in Savannah, Georgia," a statement on the singer's website read Saturday. "Gregg struggled with many health issues over the past several years. During that time, Gregg considered being on the road playing music with his brothers and solo band for his beloved fans, essential medicine for his soul. Playing music lifted him up and kept him going during the toughest of times."
Read more:
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...-at-69-w433068
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-17, 09:12 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
My favorite ABB song:

Of course it's the Fillmore East live version!
Old 05-28-17, 11:05 AM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
The Allman Brothers Band were one of my favorites growing up in the seventies...spacing out while listening to their long jams. "Blue Sky" was my favorite, with amazing guitar solos by both Duane Allman and Dickey Betts.

RIP Gregg Allman.
Old 05-31-17, 08:23 PM
All Ohio

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
1 of the greatest bands to ever hit the stage ! RIP.
Old 06-01-17, 06:22 AM
GO MIDDIES

Middie 85 Alum is on a distinguished road
First concert I ever saw at OHare Arena was the Allman Brothers and Molley Hatchett. Great concert. Sad all of these Great Muscians are leaving so soon.
Old 06-01-17, 08:00 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middie 85 Alum View Post
First concert I ever saw at OHare Arena was the Allman Brothers and Molley Hatchett. Great concert. Sad all of these Great Muscians are leaving so soon.
Well that's what you get when you use heroin and drink a 5th of Jack a day. He was living on a borrowed kidney to boot so everything the past 10 years was gravy.

But this band was never the same after Duane passed after just 3 albums. The guy had serious musical chops and was considered one of the best lead players in rock when he tragically died after a motorcycle accident. Dickey Betts was solid but he could not carry the jamming aspect, his playing was more limited to a country feel while Duane could do it all especially when he broke out the bottle neck and played that wicked slide. I thought that Greg with that Hammond B3 organ into a Leslie speaker added a lot of soul to the classic Allman sound.

Old 06-01-17, 08:20 AM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
My favorite ABB song:

Of course it's the Fillmore East live version!
Here's a better version, and IMO one of the greatest guitar performances ever:

Old 06-06-17, 12:25 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Here's a better version, and IMO one of the greatest guitar performances ever:

My Allman favorites were "One Way Out" and "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed." While it's true that the Allman Brothers introduced Southern Rock, they were so much more than that. Their music, especially on the first three albums that featured Duane, was eclectic and introspective. Bluesy, absolutely, but also soulful with a healthy dose of jazz. "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" is more jazz instrumental than anything else.

The original Allman Brothers, along with the Grateful Dead, were the most gifted and musically-ambitious American bands ever.

About Gregg's substance abuse: It's all true. But he'd been sober since 1995. He overcame his demons and fought the good fight.

And for those who don't know: The Derek and the Dominoes classic "Layla" features a guitar duet between Eric Clapton and Duane Allman, who were considered the world's two best instumentalists back in 1970. Most of the playing is subtle, woven underneath the piano solo. But listen. It's beautiful music.

Last edited by Metacomet; 06-12-17 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-06-17, 06:31 PM
All Ohio

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Agree 100% Meta, also absolutely dug their rendition of Stormy Monday. Nobody but nobody can equal the tightness of this band, when all the members were present.
Old 06-12-17, 08:40 AM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye53 View Post
Agree 100% Meta, also absolutely dug their rendition of Stormy Monday. Nobody but nobody can equal the tightness of this band, when all the members were present.
You stole my thunder. After my post, I realized that I forgot to mention "Stormy Monday." Perhaps the most most beautiful soft blues guitar licks ever recorded.

I tried to post a link to a live version of "Stormy Monday," but I couldn't find one that wasn't blocked. Can anyone out there add a link?

Last edited by Metacomet; 06-12-17 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-12-17, 09:23 AM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
I actually like the final version of the ABB better then when they carried Dickey and his smack habit along until his firing in 2000. Warren Hayes and Derek Trucks were solid and technically as strong as Duane/Dickey in their prime. Derek just didn't have that blues soul that Duane did, but then again neither did Eric Clapton and that is why he let Duane play the key slide solo at the end of Layla.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: