Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-10-19, 10:22 AM
All District

BobcatQB is on a distinguished road
GameChanger is an awesome tool if used correctly. Stats are only as accurate as the person entering them.
Old 05-11-19, 09:01 AM
All Region

a_td is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatQB View Post
GameChanger is an awesome tool if used correctly. Stats are only as accurate as the person entering them.
Yes it's a great tool but I've seen several cases where GC doesn't calculate right or you can't enter things. At times it doesn't calculate Earned Runs against a Pitcher correctly. Also, no way to charge an error to a fielder that drops a foul ball and later in the same at bat reaches base. It's nice that you can go back into the game stats afterwards to edit.
Old 05-11-19, 11:11 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Saw a kid hit into a 6-4-3 double play with a guy on third today. Coaches, and fan I presume was his dad, yelling encouragement to the kid that he got an RBI.

Sometimes I just cringe.....
Old 05-12-19, 03:00 AM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Saw a kid hit into a 6-4-3 double play with a guy on third today. Coaches, and fan I presume was his dad, yelling encouragement to the kid that he got an RBI.

RBI? No. Helped score a run for his team? Yes. So I get the encouragement, just wrong wording.
Old 05-12-19, 07:24 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePITman View Post
RBI? No. Helped score a run for his team? Yes. So I get the encouragement, just wrong wording.
Getting the job done with getting the run in, yeah. He did that.

They threw around "you got an rbi' way too much for them to just be misspeaking. I bet you they gave him an RBI for it (as the coaches were the first ones to tell that encouragement)
Old 05-12-19, 03:22 PM
Freshman

trperk1 is on a distinguished road
Not sure why this surprises people. Most teams beg to find a parent to keep the book, it's even harder to find someone to use GM. You can't get twisted with some mom being asked to use a app of someones Iphone. Because of this I put ZERO credibility into anyones GC stats.
Old 05-13-19, 08:26 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by trperk1 View Post
Not sure why this surprises people. Most teams beg to find a parent to keep the book, it's even harder to find someone to use GM. You can't get twisted with some mom being asked to use a app of someones Iphone. Because of this I put ZERO credibility into anyones GC stats.
so you have zero credibility in HS baseball scoring all together..book or GC, what's the difference? If the info is collected by someone who isn't knowledgable then it doesn't matter what source they use to collect it.
Old 05-13-19, 08:33 AM
All Yappi

To be honest, I don't want my teams stats out there for everyone to see come tournament time.

Make an opponent do their due diligence in scouting.
Old 05-13-19, 09:04 AM
Freshman

trperk1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatQB View Post
so you have zero credibility in HS baseball scoring all together..book or GC, what's the difference? If the info is collected by someone who isn't knowledgable then it doesn't matter what source they use to collect it.
GC is used mostly as a tool for parents to follow the game. A separate book is kept but again by parents and scoring of errors specifically isn't real accurate as most baseball fans don't understand the definition, nor do they understand the game well enough to "make the call".

Most HS coaches I know keep a separate score sheet in the dugout. Not another score book but notes that track individual plays on D, pitching, at the plate and base paths to be used to evaluate the players.
Old 05-13-19, 09:19 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by trperk1 View Post
GC is used mostly as a tool for parents to follow the game. A separate book is kept but again by parents and scoring of errors specifically isn't real accurate as most baseball fans don't understand the definition, nor do they understand the game well enough to "make the call".

Most HS coaches I know keep a separate score sheet in the dugout. Not another score book but notes that track individual plays on D, pitching, at the plate and base paths to be used to evaluate the players.
That's the point. Doesn't matter what you use as the official book, if people who enter the info don't understand the game.

I've been using GC since 2011 and it's been our official and only book since 2015, both HS and summer teams. Yes, it's a great way for fans to follow the game when they can't attend but it is also a great tool for the coaching staff to evaluate players. I control who enters the info and can edit when mistakes are made so I know the info is correct. I'm sure this isn't the case with all others who use it just like others who still score manually with a book. Info is only as accurate as the person entering the info!
Old 05-13-19, 04:18 PM
All American

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:

What about a kid in a deep mental funk or really struggling. You want to pile on with a negative about the DP? Or try to get him going with forward/positive thought? Not everything is black and white when your outside looking in. Assuming they know the rules, it would look better if they dropped RBI and said you got the run home.
Old 05-13-19, 05:58 PM
All Region

a_td is on a distinguished road
Quote:
To be honest, I don't want my teams stats out there for everyone to see come tournament time.

Make an opponent do their due diligence in scouting.
Stats can be locked so only the Team Adm can see not the players, public or parents.
Old 05-13-19, 09:01 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
What about a kid in a deep mental funk or really struggling. You want to pile on with a negative about the DP? Or try to get him going with forward/positive thought? Not everything is black and white when your outside looking in. Assuming they know the rules, it would look better if they dropped RBI and said you got the run home.
Simple.

Then tell him great job getting the run in.

Truthful, and within the rules of the game.

By boisterously yelling RBI, RBI to the kid exudes total ignorance on the part of those yelling it and no doubt many other who dont know the rules think that they were correct, when they aren't.
Old 05-13-19, 11:44 PM
All Region

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
I really hope that coaches get someone to accurately keep statistics. I have noticed many varsity coaches that adopted a "ride or die" mentality with some players that just are not getting it done hitting and/or fielding. Maybe they just don't know what the real numbers are?
Old 05-14-19, 12:17 PM
All American

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Simple.

Then tell him great job getting the run in.

Truthful, and within the rules of the game.

By boisterously yelling RBI, RBI to the kid exudes total ignorance on the part of those yelling it and no doubt many other who dont know the rules think that they were correct, when they aren't.
Got it, very true.
Old 05-15-19, 03:29 PM
All Ohio

Smalls is on a distinguished road
A co-worker told me of a softball score keeper (parent of a pitcher) who will give an error for not stretching far enough at 1st, playing the infield in and a clear base hit falls behind the fielder, pulling up on a fly ball in the outfield to keep it in front and a loopy throw that is beat out by the runner. I thought he was joking, but then looked at the stats in the paper and she gave up 90+ runs, but only 30 something earned.