Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-17-18, 10:03 AM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit454 View Post
Any kid wanting to be a part of an excelling art program can transfer without issue. If a parent wants their child to change schools to participate in a great choir program or an outstanding vocational program there is nothing that will stop that child from participating and succeeding in those activities.
Correct. Except if they also happen to play sports. Then that particular offering must taken away.

You are probably less aware, but there are many other school offerings, while not sports related, hold various competitions or "tournaments", and receive awards, grants, notoriety, AND enhance college scholarship opportunities for those who participate or excel. Next question: Is that unfair, and should those transfers or schools be deterred from "stacking."
Old 05-17-18, 10:10 AM
Varsity

hammer89 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
Why do transfers need to be deterred any more than students crossing several districts to a private school need deterred? Free choice. Personal family decisions are really none of their business. But...since we are being so democratic, and the majority rules, how about putting the aforementioned private school restrictions, or separate playoffs, up for a vote?
Schools have voted on that three times in OHSAA history. Separation lost every time (obviously). Would be a close vote, but probably wouldn't pass now either.
Old 05-17-18, 10:32 AM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferflog View Post
What if a student transferred to a new school on May 7 of this year. The new school is a contiguous school district This actually happened. He is a football and basketball player. How is his eligibility affected for the 2018-2019 school year? Oh, and he will be a sophomore.
Boggling to me that parents would do this- shows how little they care about the student part of student athlete
Old 05-17-18, 10:33 AM
All District

tantal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dograt View Post
If they moved in, there is no problem! If you change schools without changing residence, this applies.

I have zero problem with it. If you want to move your kid in for any reason, do it by freshman year.
You touch on an interesting point here. A wealthy family could move specifically to be at a district with a great football team, and it's totally fine. They can even announce to the world their reasons for moving, and again it's fine because they are actually relocating residence. A family without means would be punished for open enrolling to another district. Seems pretty unfair to me. Obviously this new rule favors the wealthy. Hardly surprising I guess.
Old 05-17-18, 10:37 AM
All District

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantal View Post
You touch on an interesting point here. A wealthy family could move specifically to be at a district with a great football team, and it's totally fine. They can even announce to the world their reasons for moving, and again it's fine because they are actually relocating residence. A family without means would be punished for open enrolling to another district. Seems pretty unfair to me. Obviously this new rule favors the wealthy. Hardly surprising I guess.
Wait, what?? If a wealthy family open enrolls at a school, the rule still applies. If an underprivileged family legit moves to another district, the kid can play the entire year. This has nothing to do with economic status. What a joke
Old 05-17-18, 11:08 AM
All Ohio

dograt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tantal View Post
I'm not sure how this actually works out. Seems a poorer family renting their housing are able to move more easily into a rental property in another district than a family who owns a house. Maybe middle class is hurt more using your argument? I know renting/owning isn't divided purely by income, just piggybacking off of your wealthy/poor generalizations.
Old 05-17-18, 11:41 AM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Correct. Except if they also happen to play sports. Then that particular offering must taken away.

You are probably less aware, but there are many other school offerings, while not sports related, hold various competitions or "tournaments", and receive awards, grants, notoriety, AND enhance college scholarship opportunities for those who participate or excel. Next question: Is that unfair, and should those transfers or schools be deterred from "stacking."
Love ya TP, but the next time scouts show up to mock trial practice will be the first time. You're talking about two totally different things. You can absolutely get an athletic scholarship without going to the postseason -- heck, the college recruiters show up to scrimmages and practices and can access your highlight reel on Twitter these days.

Transferring to a new school for athletic reasons rather than academic ones is a social malady. It shows what we value as a society, and it's not pretty. And everyone from the closed door suburban public to the inner-city school to the Catholic powerhouse is guilty. I think we can separate out the debate over equality in access to education (which I think you're making good points about, I don't mean to diminish that, I just don't think it's relevant to this discussion) from one over the place and value of athletic competition.
Old 05-17-18, 11:59 AM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
Again , if you did give some stud QB who wants to throw to jaguars instead of Mules , what is a coach going to do? get the newcomer who he barely knows highlight film for the season and then have to paly ANOTHER QB in the play-offs who sat most of the time? If you think coaches will be down with this you are wrong.
Decades ago we lost a first round playoff game to the eventual state champion. Neither their regular season starting QB nor tailback took a meaningful snap in the postseason.
Old 05-17-18, 12:00 PM
All District

guyinahoodie is on a distinguished road
Rich Wright hates this rule change!
Old 05-17-18, 12:10 PM
All World

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
CHS ? What does that have to do with this topic or the dynamics of what I said in terms of the new rule? WOW that was dumb
Old 05-17-18, 01:12 PM
All Ohio

boomer24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyinahoodie View Post
Rich Wright hates this rule change!

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-17-18, 01:23 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
ohio
Old 05-17-18, 01:36 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
One compromise could be just to ban postseason play for transfers that aren't otherwise granted an exception. But let them play the regular season.

Or, let them play as long into the playoffs as the school's team they played for before makes it that season.

Student goes from School A to B, and School A loses in the first round, then Student can't play after the first round game.

In that way, they can't be argued to be 'harmed' by not getting to play, and can't argue that it's not 'fair' for playing time.
Old 05-17-18, 01:54 PM
All World

chs1971 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
CHS ? What does that have to do with this topic or the dynamics of what I said in terms of the new rule? WOW that was dumb
You said a coach would not start one kid during the regular season and another during the playoffs. Well, it's been done.
Old 05-17-18, 02:01 PM
All World

The thread was about the transfer rule and the coach not having “ a choice “ wow your reply perfectly made it clear that your mind is mush . You still don’t get that your example has nothing to do with this transfer dynamic. Just quit while you only look foolish. Next obtuse post will slip you into true imbecile territory.
Old 05-17-18, 02:12 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
Transferring to a new school for athletic reasons rather than academic ones is a social malady. It shows what we value as a society, and it's not pretty. And everyone from the closed door suburban public to the inner-city school to the Catholic powerhouse is guilty. I think we can separate out the debate over equality in access to education (which I think you're making good points about, I don't mean to diminish that, I just don't think it's relevant to this discussion) from one over the place and value of athletic competition.
We'll agree to disagree I guess. No, I do not differentiate transferring for sports differently then for other specific offerings. If you wish to transfer because you don't like your band, or debate team, computer tech teacher, or coach/program, or are simply attracted to newer/better facilities in whatever activity you enjoy, then it should be your right to.

I don't know if you have kids but in the real world I find many instances where parents or children are unhappy at one place and happier at another. You can call it a "social malady" which can be true in cases, but there are also many perfectly legit reasons for that as well.

And to the earlier point about rich vs. poor. There is no question it is generally easier for a parent(s) with better means to absorb the expense of relocating, or transferring employment. And more than ever many upper income earners actually work out of a home office anyhow. I agree what will happen, especially from those with fewer means, will be more living with friends and relatives at best, cheap apartments, or simply fake it at worst. That's not good for anyone.
Old 05-17-18, 02:59 PM
All World

Moving is a pain in the Azz even if Just a few miles down the road . Parents aren’t likely to pack up the family so quickly for reasons of not liking your band or debate teams , there usually has to be a very distinct reason or really strong Benifit for doing so . I will say that there in many cases where the transfer and moving the family wasn’t a home run necessary or markedly beneficial
Old 05-17-18, 04:12 PM
All World

irish_buffalo will become famous soon enough
Bad rule. The kids that will get punished are the ones whose parents bounce from apartment to apartment.

School systems and school districts are not created equal. Some invest heavily in extra curricular activities and others do not. Therefore, if a kid and his family wish to better themselves then so be it.

Nah, make the good player stay in his home district. A program that averages 1-9 the past ten years and have gone through as many HC's while playing on a subpar surface and in subpar facilities.
Old 05-17-18, 04:29 PM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Bad rule. The kids that will get punished are the ones whose parents bounce from apartment to apartment.

School systems and school districts are not created equal. Some invest heavily in extra curricular activities and others do not. Therefore, if a kid and his family wish to better themselves then so be it.

Nah, make the good player stay in his home district. A program that averages 1-9 the past ten years and have gone through as many HC's while playing on a subpar surface and in subpar facilities.

Are you and others saying that if a family moved together , the kid is still subject to this rule ?

To me if the family buys a house or condo or rents an apartment , the kid should play. A rule like this should be to stop the recruiter privates and publics who get kids early or via transfers.

High school shouldn't be free agency, but people do move

I haven't seen the exception list and don't follow a school that does all this shady stuff though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-17-18, 04:31 PM
All Yappi

Agreed irish. While on the "life is not fair" theme, something else strikes me as harsh. A community (thus district) falling on hard economic times may lose significant enrollment - in the 100s. Oh well such is life. But if they lose 20 athletes and gain 2, they get penalized for the 2, because those 2 are unfair? Ok. Unless I am misunderstanding.

Generally most schools that have lost significant enrollment, have much open capacity, and need funding, are the ones most likely to have open enrollment. The wealthier growing near capacity suburban districts generally have closed enrollment, then pretend it is because of some phony moral grounds and look down on others.
Old 05-17-18, 05:16 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
Are you and others saying that if a family moved together , the kid is still subject to this rule ?

To me if the family buys a house or condo or rents an apartment , the kid should play. A rule like this should be to stop the recruiter privates and publics who get kids early or via transfers.

High school shouldn't be free agency, but people do move

I haven't seen the exception list and don't follow a school that does all this shady stuff though

The 11 exceptions havenít changed. Itís the same ones that have been around for years, the most obvious one being a change of residence. If you move apartments four times, you could play at four different schools no penalty.
Old 05-17-18, 07:10 PM
All World

A lot of high prized multiple offer guys live in apartments. Hmm sounds like the start of an SAT Question ?

So if 2 thirds of top d-1 recruits in a small area and all play for the same high school team , how many live in apartments? How many visit mom at previous home at least 5 days a week ? How many already have offers but move from friends to play with a few kids they met at some camp and the fathers started talking?
Old 05-17-18, 07:28 PM
All American

Paladin1aa is on a distinguished road
As usual, we have dumb reasons being thrown around trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. The rule was put in place with a heavy majority trying to address the outright cheating going on. Coaches, players, communities and families all look for relief from the thugs in our world. There are no choirboys involved here, just people trying to exploit the system. Athletics have a place, but not a win at all cost mentality. I look forward to seeing how it works out but have no problem going even more stringent with rules to stop the nonsense.
Old 05-17-18, 08:16 PM
All District

The Watcher 2.0 is on a distinguished road
So how do this affect the private schools that Recruit??
Old 05-17-18, 09:11 PM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
New transfer rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer89 View Post
The 11 exceptions havenít changed. Itís the same ones that have been around for years, the most obvious one being a change of residence. If you move apartments four times, you could play at four different schools no penalty.

Then why are people complaining as if people can't move without the kids being penalized in many of the posts before I asked ?

I'm all for stopping some of the shady stuff the goes on with transfers. Next we should trace the money on the private school athletes and make sure boosters aren't paying for them to attend. And go after open enrollment public recruitment

The more of this crap that's out , the better. Hs sports should be amateur. Shouldn't be a free agency and recruiting game

Old 05-17-18, 11:37 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
Then why are people complaining as if people can't move without the kids being penalized in many of the posts before I asked ?

I'm all for stopping some of the shady stuff the goes on with transfers. Next we should trace the money on the private school athletes and make sure boosters aren't paying for them to attend. And go after open enrollment public recruitment

The more of this crap that's out , the better. Hs sports should be amateur. Shouldn't be a free agency and recruiting game

Because, generally speaking, people in online debates donít know much, and look up even less.
Old 05-18-18, 05:39 AM
Varsity

foreword is on a distinguished road
all this whining is ridiculous......just let the boys play and be a SPECTATOR
Old 05-18-18, 06:45 AM
All Ohio

chito is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreword View Post
all this whining is ridiculous......just let the boys play by the rules and be a SPECTATOR
I fixed that for you.
Old 05-18-18, 07:23 AM
All Region

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Answer: OHSAA does not govern those other activities.
Old 05-18-18, 07:25 AM
All Region

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1aa View Post
As usual, we have dumb reasons being thrown around trying to make a mountain out of a molehill. The rule was put in place with a heavy majority trying to address the outright cheating going on. Coaches, players, communities and families all look for relief from the thugs in our world. There are no choirboys involved here, just people trying to exploit the system. Athletics have a place, but not a win at all cost mentality. I look forward to seeing how it works out but have no problem going even more stringent with rules to stop the nonsense.
BOOM!!!