Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-17-18, 12:46 PM
All World

14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
Wow! 14R name calling!
You're out too Winston, be part of the solution, not the problem.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-18, 12:51 PM
All World

WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
I'm out where?
Old 05-17-18, 01:04 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
I love it when posters use the term "tards" (or all of its varieties). It always seems like they feel that there is something humorous about how "r-e-t-a-r-d-s" function; and they enjoy transferring those "funny" characteristics onto someone else.
I've seen this now 2 times on here in the last 3 days.
The good news is that, when I read it and note who uses the term, I always think of those posters when I look down the hall and see the love of my life
--my Down Syndrome daughter.

Last edited by Monclova Steve; 05-17-18 at 02:10 PM..
Old 05-17-18, 01:20 PM
All World

WinstonSmith has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Sorry if it offends you. I have a high level of respect for those that care for people with downs syndrome/fetal alcohol/similar issues.
Old 05-17-18, 01:38 PM
All World

So, a much needed day off after a successful road trip. Coming home for the hated Cubs.
Old 05-17-18, 06:36 PM
All World

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
So weird that IndianDad can't differentiate between thinking he deserves a shot as a SP and thinking he has turned a corner.
So it seems to be a consensus now that everyone agreed in March the Amir Garrett had not turned the corner but should have been given another shot at starting.

Last season he had a 7.39 ERA and a WHIP of 1.613

He walked 5 per 9 innings and gave up 2 HR per 9.

Why would you want that in your starting rotation?
Old 05-17-18, 06:43 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
My clarification was a few days ago. I said any veteran who is not in the rebuild plan, who will be gone when their contract is up, should not be eating up innings. Unless we think we can dangle them as trade bait, then they need to play. So basically not Homer, and probably not Harvey, but we need to try Harvey a few more times to see if he can find himself.

I would have no objection to Disco pitching when healthy, to see if he can help us going forward.
Fair enough. I agree completely.

Outside of Disco though, I don't see anyone earning that chance to take the big league mound yet.

If Harvey is good enough to draw a decent trade, I'm not so sure the Reds wouldn't offer him a contract. Given his last couple of seasons he might be fairly inexpensive.
Old 05-17-18, 06:47 PM
All World

Quote:
Sorry if it offends you. I have a high level of respect for those that care for people with downs syndrome/fetal alcohol/similar issues.
Apparently that "high level of respect" ends with the caretaker.
Old 05-17-18, 06:48 PM
All World

Quote:
14Rtard experiencing short-term memory loss?
Old 05-17-18, 07:45 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Updated Opinion:

Harvey...the Reds need to trade him at the deadline or even before if they can get much out of him. I really don't see them being able to sign him to a 2-4 year deal. Matt Harvey likes Matt Harvey a whole lot and wants to pitch in under the big market spotlight...hasn't really worked for him

Scooter...he's available right now if a team like Seattle wants to give up a lot in return. Right now he'd be able to help them more than any of any other teams that've been listed. At the deadline, if he continues at a respectable pace, you continue to ask top dollar and work down from that. If a team wants him the Reds should be able to get some decent prospects. There's no true need to trade him at the deadline but there's also the risk his value will drop from there. I see him in the $7-9M mark in arbitration. I think he'll agree to something before going that far. Just not sure if it'll be for the year or long term...remember FA didn't exactly benefit the players this past season and there's nothing to suggest owners are going to treat any different this offseason.
Old 05-17-18, 08:46 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
Updated Opinion:

Harvey...the Reds need to trade him at the deadline or even before if they can get much out of him. I really don't see them being able to sign him to a 2-4 year deal. Matt Harvey likes Matt Harvey a whole lot and wants to pitch in under the big market spotlight...hasn't really worked for him

Scooter...he's available right now if a team like Seattle wants to give up a lot in return. Right now he'd be able to help them more than any of any other teams that've been listed. At the deadline, if he continues at a respectable pace, you continue to ask top dollar and work down from that. If a team wants him the Reds should be able to get some decent prospects. There's no true need to trade him at the deadline but there's also the risk his value will drop from there. I see him in the $7-9M mark in arbitration. I think he'll agree to something before going that far. Just not sure if it'll be for the year or long term...remember FA didn't exactly benefit the players this past season and there's nothing to suggest owners are going to treat any different this offseason.
Harvwy: I liked what he did yesterday. He was getting hit hard early. He recognized that he was mechanically off (front shoulder flying open making it easier for hitters to pick the ball up sooner). He made the adjustment and struck out 5 of the next 6. That's a veteran pitcher move. We have yet to see that out of Romano and Mahle.
It also means that he is showing the ability to get outs sitting at 92-94.
Old 05-17-18, 09:03 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Harvwy: I liked what he did yesterday. He was getting hit hard early. He recognized that he was mechanically off (front shoulder flying open making it easier for hitters to pick the ball up sooner). He made the adjustment and struck out 5 of the next 6. That's a veteran pitcher move. We have yet to see that out of Romano and Mahle.
It also means that he is showing the ability to get outs sitting at 92-94.
Seems like hes really turned the corner, the Reds should probably lock him up for about 7 years at $25m/yr, right?
Old 05-17-18, 09:14 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Seems like hes really turned the corner, the Reds should probably lock him up for about 7 years at $25m/yr, right?
Troll
Old 05-17-18, 10:54 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
$26m?
Old 05-17-18, 11:11 PM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Maybe flip contracts with Homer and Harvey. They should agree to that right?
Old 05-18-18, 05:30 AM
All World

Harvey will likely get a 1yr/$10M or 3yr/$21M.

Third option is he goes to Japan to pitch.
Old 05-18-18, 07:08 AM
All Yappi

Hopefully he doesn’t get that with the reds. $10m for an average at best starter with no future upside is a dumb move.
Old 05-18-18, 07:15 AM
All World

I wouldn't be surprised if he got it, especially if he keeps improving. As you said the Reds should not be offering him that. Hopefully he can command something at the trade deadline.
Old 05-18-18, 07:18 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
So it seems to be a consensus now that everyone agreed in March the Amir Garrett had not turned the corner but should have been given another shot at starting.

Last season he had a 7.39 ERA and a WHIP of 1.613

He walked 5 per 9 innings and gave up 2 HR per 9.

Why would you want that in your starting rotation?
Because he was 25 years old, had only pitched 70 innings, had his year end early due to injury, because the Reds clearly don't spend big money on SP and they need to see what they have in their young arms? Is that a serious question? It's not like he posted similar numbers in back to back years with 150+ innings pitched.

The general consensus was no one is sure if he has turned the corner or not because it's only Spring Training but he should get another shot at starting.
Old 05-18-18, 08:46 AM
All World

This is the ultimate house flip for the Reds. They SHOULD NOT EVER SIGN Matt Harvey to any long term contract. Even if he throws 8 consecutive shutouts for the team.
Send him to LA, Cleveland, SF, Arizona, Chicago, Pittsburgh, St. Louis any contending team that you can leverage as much as you can get. He is not part of the future of this team. He's damaged goods and is pitching for this next contract. As soon as that ink is dry, he's going to be hurt again, bank it.
Old 05-18-18, 09:07 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
This is the ultimate house flip for the Reds. They SHOULD NOT EVER SIGN Matt Harvey to any long term contract. Even if he throws 8 consecutive shutouts for the team.
Send him to LA, Cleveland, SF, Arizona, Chicago, Pittsburgh, St. Louis any contending team that you can leverage as much as you can get. He is not part of the future of this team. He's damaged goods and is pitching for this next contract. As soon as that ink is dry, he's going to be hurt again, bank it.
Probably the best post you have ever made in regards to your first point. See we can agree 14red!
Old 05-18-18, 09:15 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Probably the best post you have ever made in regards to your first point. See we can agree 14red!
Thanks, but I make mostly good posts, we just don't always agree!

While the Reds have Romano, Mahle and Castillo in the rotation right now, they need to continue to stockpile young arms and let the competition work itself out. Add Reed, Stephenson and even Garett in there. I'm not sure Garrett can be a starter, but as long as he's getting out, he'll be able to keep a job.

One future thought of how baseball will morph is that you are going to continue to see these 5-6 inning starts, the 2-3 inning relief pitcher will become a standard, and it makes sense. Why pay a #1 starter $200 mill over 4-5 years when injury almost always happens. Why not have a stable of arms who can throw 2-3-4 innings, starter or relief? They throw 50-70 pitches per outing, unless they get into major trouble, they only see the batting lineup 2 times max. How many starters do we see that struggle seeing the lineup the 3rd time? You could possibly even go to a 4 man rotation because the work load would be less.
Old 05-18-18, 11:00 AM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Thanks, but I make mostly good posts, we just don't always agree!
Too busy today to go clip/paste all of your terrible posts. Quick summary from memory, some recent, some from the archives:

- Closers are more valuable than starting pitchers (ignoring the obvious salary differences)
- Iglesias can't be starting pitcher (ignoring the fact he has been one his whole life)
- Skip Schumacher will protect Votto and be an all star (after 7 spring training at bats)
- Bryan Price is a good manager (ignoring my many examples of in-game blunders)
- Defense is more important than offense for CF/2b/SS/C (ignoring all statistical proof to the contrary)

The only thing many of your posts are good for is a quick chuckle. Except for the ones where you outright lie and attribute opinions to people that they never posted.
Old 05-18-18, 11:05 AM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
How about that Joey Votto? I presume most of you heard his comments on the podcast.

He really took shots at management and sided with the fans. Said he has been in the organization 17 years, and is very concerned that so many core fans (like us) are losing interest. He really wants to be a part of fixing it. Extra respect from me for doing this.
Seriously, nobody has a comment on this? I know you all have internet access, go listen to it. Great stuff from Joey.
Old 05-18-18, 11:08 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
If Garrett isn't going to be a SP then move him to closer and let Iglesias start. One of them needs to be given at least a chance to start, let the other close.
Old 05-18-18, 12:50 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Because he was 25 years old, had only pitched 70 innings, had his year end early due to injury, because the Reds clearly don't spend big money on SP and they need to see what they have in their young arms? Is that a serious question? It's not like he posted similar numbers in back to back years with 150+ innings pitched.

The general consensus was no one is sure if he has turned the corner or not because it's only Spring Training but he should get another shot at starting.
So why not Cody Reed? He is 25 and had a 5.09 ERA and a 1.7 WHIP last season in the bigs.
Or how about Robert Stephenson? He is 25 and had a 4.68 ERA and a WHIP of 1.583.

Why didn't anyone make the argument in Spring Training for these two to start at the bigs?

The answer is simple yet none of you want to admit to it. Garrett looked better than both in Spring Training.
Old 05-18-18, 12:59 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
If Garrett isn't going to be a SP then move him to closer and let Iglesias start. One of them needs to be given at least a chance to start, let the other close.
Stephenson is a 2 pitch guy. He has trouble locating his fastball but has a devastating slider. He should be in the pen.

Whole heartedly agree on Garrett and Iglesias.
Old 05-18-18, 01:01 PM
All World

Quote:
Seriously, nobody has a comment on this? I know you all have internet access, go listen to it. Great stuff from Joey.
What is there to say? He basically said what we have been saying.
Old 05-18-18, 01:09 PM
All World

Iglesias is 28 years old. He tried to start two different seasons, missed time both seasons with arm injuries. He simply is not durable enough to be a starter. Why do you want to force the issue?

By the trade deadline in a month or two, you may be able to get something for Iglesias, who is among the top 10 closers in baseball. He'll be incredibly attractive for any contending team who wants to load up with 2-3 upper level bullpen guys.
Old 05-18-18, 01:16 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So why not Cody Reed? He is 25 and had a 5.09 ERA and a 1.7 WHIP last season in the bigs.
Or how about Robert Stephenson? He is 25 and had a 4.68 ERA and a WHIP of 1.583.

Why didn't anyone make the argument in Spring Training for these two to start at the bigs?

The answer is simple yet none of you want to admit to it. Garrett looked better than both in Spring Training.
You're trying so hard. It's fun when people double down on stupid. 14Red does is a lot.

Garrett looked great prior to be sent down last year in order to keep control of him another year. It was after that he struggled and then got hurt.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: